aquia
Topic Author

How Are Things In Japan These Days?

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:41 am

My 26 year old son tells me it is O.K. there. He's been there 3 times since the quake. He loves Japan and its people so much ,sometimes I feel he'might not be leveling with me. Anybody knows the factors on the ground there. We live in the U.S. on the east coast.
Enjoy Today -Tomorrow is not Promised

Zentraedi

RE: How Are Things In Japan These Days?

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm in Tokyo and it's fine except we never know when we'll have rolling blackouts. Tepco, is barely able to meet demand even with all the energy reduction measures people and business have taken.

ronglimeng

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 pm

I don't know!

There hasn't been much on the news lately other than the reactor story. Anything about how daily life may be returning to normal is hard to find. The most recent thing I heard on the radio this morning was that a couple of nearby Ontario autoplants will have to temporarily shut down because of a Japanese-supplied parts shortage. Kind of fits that old expression " all news is local news", eh?

What I've learned on this forum from other honourable members is that if you want to follow-up on stories or get a little more in-depth on them, then you have to develop your own Internet news sources beyond the mainline ones.

In your case, perhaps an English-language paper in Japan with a website?

travelavnut

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Quoting ronglimeng (Reply 2):
In your case, perhaps an English-language paper in Japan with a website?

As I am going to Japan for the first time in Oct. I'm also very interested in this. Here is what i found;

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/
http://www.japantoday.com/
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
Live From Amsterdam!

gocaps16

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

All I can tell you besides what you're reading or listening on the news, things are slowly getting better. I just spent 2 hours talking to my wife on the phone after our evacuation to Kyushu Islands and she is at her parent's house in Yamagata City and things are usually normal at this time. Grocery items are stocked to full capacity unlike it was 3 weeks ago with the expection of milk and yogurt. Gasoline is back to normal. Radiation in the air is normal. Sendai was reporting 0.07 millisieverts/hr a few days ago aswell most of Japan are slightly above normal but posed no risk. Certainly, lives in Japan has changed drastically and when I first arrived in Japan in 2007, it has been totally different.

Quoting Zentraedi (Reply 1):
except we never know when we'll have rolling blackouts.

The rolling blackouts have been cancelled for the most of the time in the Kanto Plains area. I've only experienced one rolling blackout so far and this was in Yamato.

Zentraedi

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Quoting gocaps16 (Reply 4):
The rolling blackouts have been cancelled for the most of the time in the Kanto Plains area. I've only experienced one rolling blackout so far and this was in Yamato.

Yeah, but we constantly have to check and it's hard to plan things in advance. For example, if you check the Yahoo setsuden page, the blackouts for tomorrow are still scheduled. I'm guessing they'll cancel it, but you never know.

I actually have NTT scheduled to come over during the blackout timeslot for my group so I might have to reschedule.

san747

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 am

I have a friend and a cousin out there, one from Tokyo and the other further south, and from what I've seen, it seems pretty normal for them. My friend even celebrated his son's first birthday with his Japanese wife's family a few days ago.
Scotty doesn't know...

MD11Engineer

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:29 pm

There hasn't been much on the news lately other than the reactor story.

Check http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

Anything about how daily life may be returning to normal is hard to find. The most recent thing I heard on the radio this morning was that a couple of nearby Ontario autoplants will have to temporarily shut down because of a Japanese-supplied parts shortage.

This has nothing to do with the nuclear powerplant but with the fact that many Japanese car companies have their factories in the affected area.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi