Tugger

US Government Shutdown - Who Here Is Affected?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:57 pm

So it looks likely there will be an imminent shutdown of the "non-essential" government services and also a "stop work" on many government related contracts. And I realize that there will be people here that are affected, I wish the best to those affected and hope everything turns out well if this does happen.

I am not wanting a discussion about politics and the money and the government, etc. (we all know those lead to fiery back-and-forth's between a few posters and do little). I am just wondering who is affected and how you are handling it, what are you doing to prepare (if you can) and what do you plan to do during it?

Here hoping that anything that happens is brief and does not affect you badly.
Thanks,

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DeltaMD90

RE: US Government Shutdown - Who Here Is Affected?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:01 pm

Me! Though the National Guard is having trouble paying me anyway. I don't feel bad for myself, but I do feel bad for the service members deployed that will be missing half of their next paycheck... (hopefully they won't be affected by the shut down)
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

sw733

Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:11 pm

I am not, I work in private industry.

My fiance is a government employee, she is an economist for the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City. However, from all we have heard, the Fed will remain open...we'll see if that turns out to be true or not! Our understanding is that, since it doesn't rely on Congressional funds, it would be OK.

mmedford

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm affected via the FAA....

It's a retarded situation for me atleast; since currently I'm down at OKC doing some equipment training. While I'm in training; i'm considered non-essential. But the moment I get back to my duty station; I regain my essential status.

I heard congress was trying to fund the pentagon on a seperate budget; so the military should make it out ok.
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

baroque

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:39 pm

So, can we soon expect the US dollar to rally, the Dow Jones to sky-rocket and private industry in the US to show a flowering worthy of spring?

No, why not?   

cpd

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:20 pm

It's a crazy situation that I hope I never encounter in my life. Really unfair too. Maybe those politicians of BOTH sides might equally like to pay public service people out of their own earnings.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):
Me! Though the National Guard is having trouble paying me anyway. I don't feel bad for myself, but I do feel bad for the service members deployed that will be missing half of their next paycheck... (hopefully they won't be affected by the shut down)

That stinks.   regardless of being overseas or not. When you are doing that, you should have some job security at least and not have to worry if you are going to get paid or not.

[Edited 2011-04-07 11:22:05]

gocaps16

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I guess my end of month paycheck will reflect to one weeks worth of pay if this doesn't get resolved. I hope this does not effect my COLA and my overseas housing allowance which pays my $2,400 /mo house and bills. We'll see what happens.

lowrider

Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 4):
No, why not

1. Because it is only temporary
2. Because shutting down and restarting some facilities is more expensive than leaving them open.
3. Because the MC's at this 3 ring circus will not be harmed and will still be in place at the end of the day.
Proud OOTSK member

srbmod

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:40 pm

It might affect my company, as myself and our route driver have deliveries to snack bars/sundries shops in some US government buildings and facilities. So if federal buildings and the offices of Federal agencies not in government buildings are subject to the shutdown, we may be affected by it.

Ken777

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm fortunate in that I'm protected financially and will be safe until November 2012 if needed. I have a nephew who is with the INS and his job may be on hold. (What are the odds that the Border Patrol will be considered essential.)

Quoting mmedford (Reply 3):
I heard congress was trying to fund the pentagon on a seperate budget; so the military should make it out ok.

The last I heard, there was a one week CR being proposed that would protect the DoD through the end of the FY. Unfortunately it had a lot of other add ons that will not get passed in the Senate. A clean CR and DoD protection would fly to Obama's desk. We can hope.

Stratofish

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 11):
The GOP won the House of Representatives in November and they hold the power to pass budget bills.

Whilst I do agree with you here, I also have to say that from the other side of the pond it indeed looks a lot like

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 10):
They have a talent to make the US look a lot like a banana republic.

To be fair: I see European countries/govs on the same track, so we shouldn't point fingers (this time)

Back on topic: is there any chapter in the constitution that deals with this kind of situation? I mean one internally created vulnerability of the nation sure wasn't what Hamilton etc. had in mind.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

Okie

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:11 am

In the past government shut downs the non-essential got the time off an their pay to boot. Sort of like paid vacation.
I know a few government employee's and they are getting excited about some extra time off with pay in the Spring. Look at all the government shut downs for many days at a time this winter due to the snow storms.

Okie

Dreadnought

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 9):
I'm fortunate in that I'm protected financially and will be safe until November 2012 if needed. I have a nephew who is with the INS and his job may be on hold. (What are the odds that the Border Patrol will be considered essential.)

Don't count on it. Greta van Sustren on Fox is reporting that during the shutdown, the US Military will NOT get paid, but members of Congress and the White House staff will. As you know, it is the President who decides on this.

That just pisses me off. They are the ones who fu&$ed us all up, and they will continue to pay themselves, but the troops get the finger.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

76794p

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:37 am

My class trip to the grand canyon. If the park close,our contingency plan is to head to lake mead for the trip.
There's always money IN the banana stand.

cpd

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:46 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 12):
They are the ones who fu&$ed us all up, and they will continue to pay themselves, but the troops get the finger.

Yeah, the congress people (Republicans AND Democrats) along with white house staff shouldn't get paid either, if the troops don't get paid.

The troops are putting their lives on the line at the moment, and this is how they are repaid? That's so wrong. Same with public service people. What did they do to deserve this - not their fault that the politicians on both sides want to play petty partisan politics.

greaser

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:17 am

the US Military will NOT get paid, but members of Congress and the White House staff will. As you know, it is the President who decides on this.

AFAIK the members of Congress/White House will not be paid on time, but retroactively, which also applies to the military and all essential staff. Nobody will be paid on time, again AFAIK.
The treasury department would run on a limited basis: "

"Treasury's operational plans are still being finalized, but … core functions necessary to maintain our nation's financial systems and economic security will continue, including management of the government's cash position, our borrowing and debt programs and processing of electronically filed tax returns,” a Treasury spokeswoman, who asked to not be identified, said in an e-mail."

Read more: http://www.pionline.com/article/2011...7/DAILYREG/110409920#ixzz1ItjfAiVV

Quoting Dreadnought..."As you know, it is the President who decides on this. "

Again AFAIK the President only decides WHO is essential, not WHETHER they will be paid. The Congress via the budget or CR decides whether they will be paid. The President only assigns who is essential and must work during the shutdown. He has no control over financing the essential staff. That being said, some departments have reported extra cash they could use up to next friday to pay essential employees. After that, no-one can solve this except Congress.

[Edited 2011-04-07 20:20:59]
Now you're really flying

Aaron747

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:29 am

That just pisses me off. They are the ones who fu&$ed us all up, and they will continue to pay themselves, but the troops get the finger.

Seriously. To quote my co-worker's husband, who is a surgeon at Tripler Army Medical Center here in HNL, "I ain't doing this **** for free!!!"
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Mudboy

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 am

I will not be getting paid, but I am one of the few, that has no debt, and a big chunk put away, I don't even have to balance my checkbook. That being said, I think it is absolutely pathetic that this being allowed to happen, and it is only a political ploy, and they can all point the finger at one another all they want, but I hold all of them responsible, and think they should all be fired, if this is allowed to happen.

Mike89406

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:46 am

I will be affected since I'm active duty. I'm not downplaying the situation however I have to wonder if this is all smoke and mirrors or media hype. I can’t remember when the government has shutdown or stopped a payday in my 19+ years in the military. Luckily I have some extra money saved up that I was going to use to pay off my debts just in case. From my understanding we wont be furloughed and will have to work but will receive back pay for the days missed.

Regards, Mike

baroque

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:42 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 7):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 4):
No, why not

1. Because it is only temporary
2. Because shutting down and restarting some facilities is more expensive than leaving them open.
3. Because the MC's at this 3 ring circus will not be harmed and will still be in place at the end of the day.

But surely although limited it is a promising start on the way to nirvana, Utopia and much less government is it not? Time and time again, government facilities are no good. So even a temporary cessation must be good??

lowrider

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 19):
Time and time again, government facilities are no good. So even a temporary cessation must be good??

Ref #2. A temporary cessation is like a resort vacation. On the surface it may look good, but at the end, you are a few pounds heavier, hung over, and way over budget.
Proud OOTSK member

baroque

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Quoting lowrider (Reply 20):
On the surface it may look good, but at the end, you are a few pounds heavier, hung over, and way over budget.

Well, as you well know - taking tongue out of cheek - I agree. Just as rescuing the US from a depression was quite a bright idea, not particularly well done as it happens, but still t'were done better than had it not been done at all.

To work out how much of a mess Wall St made of the US, note that the $A was at something like 0.88cUS before the GFC and is now at $1.05. Certainly there is a China effect. But with a touch of skill, closing down the US government could do it all over again. Still at that rate, Boeings will get very cheap, if they ever manage to make 'em!

Ken777

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Don't count on it. Greta van Sustren on Fox is reporting that during the shutdown, the US Military will NOT get paid, but members of Congress and the White House staff will. As you know, it is the President who decides on this.

Fox would have made a big deal out of this, but it's a pretty obscene play by the Republicans.

Protection of military personnel COULD have been inserted into any previous CR without a problem. It could be in a One Day CR with just the military personnel added and signed into law today. Republicans won't go for that, regardless of the support they pretend to have for military personnel.

The military personnel issue was simply added into this CR (and only this CR  Wow! ) in order to hide the real argument - pulling funding from Planned Parenthood. Women's Health. The hidden word is "abortion", even though there are no federal dollars to Planned Parenthood or other organizations for abortions.

Planned Parenthood does provide family planning (including birth control) as well as pap smears, breast exams, etc. But I guess significant increases in Medicaid will cover those services. Oooops! The Republicans want to cut that also.

AGM100

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Not really Affected

We have pretty much all privatized utilities and services here where I live . Non union... non government and competitive. However our office complex is upgrading our inbound trunk lines and are waiting some bureaucrat to give them the permit to add a box at the intersection. Qwest does all the hard work and investment ...just waiting for the gubberment to figure it out.... typical.

The biggest worry the bureaucrats have is that know one will notice they are not working ....
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Aaron747

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 23):
Qwest does all the hard work and investment ...just waiting for the gubberment to figure it out.... typical.

Amazing how this kind of BS literally affects every kind of business. We have a client who is aggressively pursuing a fraud claim against a certain individual who has been on disability for seven months, who only recently officially filed workers' comp. Naturally, when we asked them to agree to an independent medical exam, they said no. We prepared everything to get a court order to force them to go. What happens? Denial of the request for court order because the case number has not been issued yet. Three months since the guy filed and nobody has taken the 90 seconds to process the form and generate a new case number. So despite moving expeditiously, everything is already off to a bad start, which of course increases costs for everyone involved. The explanation from the state office involved? "We're understaffed and really backed up here."  
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

lowrider

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:59 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 21):
Boeings will get very cheap, if they ever manage to make 'em!

Could be a Boeing conspiracy to kill the A380. All kidding aside, I agree that there are now winners in this. While spending and deficit levels are items that need to be addressed soonest, this sort of political football (or maybe rugby?) will not fix it. The problem is that those who created the problem, regardless of political stripe, see nothing wrong with what they are doing. They will not suffer.

To work out how much of a mess Wall St made of the US, note that the $A was at something like 0.88cUS before the GFC and is now at $1.05.

Do you know if there is anyway to itemize that change in value? It is beyond my economic ken, but I would like to know how much is due to the banking crisis, how much is due to policies such as monetizing the debt, unrestrained printing of money, changing trade balances, etc.
Proud OOTSK member

rfields5421

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 18):
however I have to wonder if this is all smoke and mirrors or media hype.

Yes, it has nothing to do with deficit reduction, controlling government spending or fiscal responsibility. It is strictly a PR move to be able to go into the 2012 elections saying 'We did ........"

The blame rests with EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF CONGRESS - please in 2012 - do not vote for any incumbent !!!!

Quoting Greaser (Reply 15):
AFAIK the members of Congress/White House will not be paid on time, but retroactively, which also applies to the military and all essential staff. Nobody will be paid on time, again AFAIK.

The Congress being a separate branch of the government than the Executive Branch has many different rules about almost everything. Their pay is also done differently. However, I think the Congress would be foolish beyond belief to take paychecks on April 15 if the other federal workers did not get them.

The White House is under the same rules as everyone else in the Executive Branch. The key is will the paychecks be processed for payment on Apr 15. Both the White House and the Congress have made a point of saying that Social Security EFT payments will go out on time this month "Because they are automated"

Well most government paychecks are also EFT payments and are automated. I don't see the difference.

Quoting Mike89406 (Reply 18):
can’t remember when the government has shutdown or stopped a payday in my 19+ years in the military.

I think it was Oct 1978 when we stopped transferring students out of training school for their PCS duty stations because of a lack of a continuing resolution. That 'stop order' was on Oct 10 or 11. On Oct 14, we were told that paychecks would not be distributed the next day though disbursing was preparing them.

At about 0330, I was called at home and told to get in to pick up the checks because a CR had been passed. I was the designated check pick-up person, and sorter, for the paychecks for the 1,500 students and 250 or so staff. It was a long morning.

There have been periods in the past without a CR when the President and the Congress allowed the government offices and facilities to remain open - both parties agreeing in advance that the funding would cover the government operations over that uncovered period.

The 'government shutdown' is a part of the increased partisanship over the past couple decades. The President could order that government offices remain open and government workers still get paid. Congress would have to go to court to get an order to shutdown the government at that point. (Unless there has been a law change since I was on active duty).

My question is this:

If I don't get my pay check on Apr 15, do I still have to send the IRS their check that day?

BTW - I don't think this will last until Apr 15. Neither side can afford to PO that many voters.

garpd

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Um, would someone care to enlighten this Brit as to what exactly is being discussed here?
I've been travelling a bit and seem to have missed something!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

rfields5421

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 27):
would someone care to enlighten this Brit as to what exactly is being discussed here?

The US government operates based upon a series of laws passed each year giving various departments a budget of X dollars for Y times. These can only be for one year periods.

Those laws have become so complex, and so many other laws include funding and expenditure provisions, that they are huge. It is impossible for anyone to know exactly what is in the funding and spending provisions for any whole department.

As a method to avoid having to actually vote on bills which include many things a member of Congress does not wish to be on record as supporting - the US government uses "Continuning Resolutions" for much of the operational spending authority.

These temporary measures allow the government offices and functions to continue spending at the 'same rate as last year' in most cases. (There are tens of thousands of exceptions).

The Federal Budget 2010 Year ended on Sept 30, 2010. The 2011 Federal Budget has not been approved yet - the individual laws have not been passed.

The US government has been operating under a series of Continuing Resolutions since Oct 1, 2010. The current one expires at midnight Washington DC time today - Friday, April 8.

A new one has not been passed as the Democraft and the Republicans battle over what should be funded, what should be cut. The President will shutdown all US Executive Branch government services considered 'non-essential' starting this evening. The Legislative and the Judicial Branchs have implemented similar shutdowns in the past when this has occured.

While technically even those employees performing essential services do not have authority to be paid for their work during this 'shutdown' in the past, Congress has always authorized retroactive pay.

This weekend - the FAA, the military, Customs, Immigration, law enforcement - will all be operating as near normal.

Things like government offices, office buildings, National Parks, etc - will be closed, or not reopen on Monday - until a new CR is passed.

Dreadnought

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):

Fox would have made a big deal out of this, but it's a pretty obscene play by the Republicans.

Last I checked, Obama is a Democrat. It's his decision.

Protection of military personnel COULD have been inserted into any previous CR without a problem. It could be in a One Day CR with just the military personnel added and signed into law today. Republicans won't go for that, regardless of the support they pretend to have for military personnel.

The alternative bill that the House passed, that the Senate is sitting on, and that Obama has said he would veto if it got to his desk, would fund the military for the rest of the fiscal year (thus taking that issue out of play for these 2011 budget discussions), and the rest of the government for another 10 days while negotiations continue. It is Obama and the Democrats who are playing politics with the shutdown, as Howard Dean said, they WANT a shutdown because they know they can spin this to their advantage in the press.

This is a moral issue. Everyone knows what it's like to have a decision in front of you - one choice being the right choice, but difficult, or the wrong choice, which may be easier and gives you short term advantages. Choice: I have $1000 per month income that I don't really need. Do I put aside money every month for my kids' college fund, or do I use the money to have a nicer house, or a new Mercedes that my wife wants? You know which is the right choice, but making the wrong one sure would be nice.

That's where the Democrats are now. They know what the right choice is - Expenditures must be dramatically reduced. There is no way to raise the taxes to meet current expenditure rates. Making dramatic cuts is the right thing to do. But making those cuts would be an admission that the ideology that has guided them the past decade is wrong, would betray the special interests that support them and would hand the government to the GOP in the next election. What to do?
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Tugger

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Look guys, I was hoping this would not turn into a:

"It's their fault... NO, it's THEIR fault.... No way, it's not my guys fault, it's your guys fault... Nuh uh, it's...." thread.

You can go and have those discussions elsewhere, in one of the many threads that cover that blame crap.

I am just trying to see the human face of who is affected by this crap and I think many people here would be interested to see that.

Please lets leave the politics out of it or else this thread will devolve into a discussion between four to six people each blaming the others party for the problem. We already have Congress for that.

So, now I am being affect by the shutdown and being required to take a mandatory vacation day next week and potentially for each week that the shutdown continues. Not much of an impact really as I will still be paid but it was not something I expected or desire. I am most concerned for those around me that don't have much vacation pay or actually had something planned for their time in the future.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

PPVRA

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 pm

But surely although limited it is a promising start on the way to nirvana, Utopia and much less government is it not? Time and time again, government facilities are no good. So even a temporary cessation must be good??

Since only "non-essential" parts will shut down and the government most certainly thinks just about everything they do is in one way or another essential, I think the impact will be minimal aside from temporary.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Mir

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Greta van Sustren on Fox is reporting that during the shutdown, the US Military will NOT get paid, but members of Congress and the White House staff will. As you know, it is the President who decides on this.

The Senate did pass a bill that would stop Congress and the President from getting paid in the event of a shutdown. The House has yet to agree.

It is worth pointing out that there could be Constitutional issues with the 27th Amendment (for Congress) and Article II Section I (for the President) that prevent them from not getting paid. I don't necessarily agree with that argument, but I can see its merits.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Mir

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:34 pm

And yes, I'm affected - I'm supposed to go in for sim training this week, but the one examiner my company is authorized to use is on vacation, and with the FAA shut down they won't be able to approve another one. So I'll probably have to wait a week (not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but...).

-Mir

baroque

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Quoting lowrider (Reply 25):
Boeings will get very cheap, if they ever manage to make 'em!

Could be a Boeing conspiracy to kill the A380. All kidding aside,

Defintely not kidding but not so much a conspiracy rather stated government policy. The trouble is that its main competitor - the EU - has been indulging in a similar policy in part by default, that is the potential default of the PIIGS. Portugal just added to the problem yesterday. So there has been competitive devaluation by a number of countries. In turn this is a major reason why most commodities are at high or even record prices, that and some spec money probably from the QE (time was when QE meant Lizzie, not not no more!!!)

But will the US enjoy the inflation when it arrives?

To work out how much of a mess Wall St made of the US, note that the $A was at something like 0.88cUS before the GFC and is now at $1.05.

Do you know if there is anyway to itemize that change in value?

Way beyond my economics too but there are folk who do work out those things and some of them even publish it. I will keep a lookout and IM you if I find anything relevant. Mind you, the same folk who do these things also are in the business of predicting rates out for a couple of years and they don't get that very close as a rule. But the analysis of the history is probably a bit better than the predictions (of the future!). Bit of a bugger the future, so uncertain.

Case in point some cotton farmers in SW Qld told to sell forward their cotton crops to lock in high prices. Floods came and some have no crop at all, but have to meet the forward sales. Some years ago Rio decided against hedging and a number of oil companies have decided against forward sales of their production.

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 31):

Since only "non-essential" parts will shut down and the government most certainly thinks just about everything they do is in one way or another essential, I think the impact will be minimal aside from temporary.

I hope you are right, but I rather doubt it. If it is minimal, it will be cause someone blinked.

A$ still climbing against the US$.

garpd

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 28):

Ah, many thanks, crystal clear to me now.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

dragon6172

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 26):
If I don't get my pay check on Apr 15, do I still have to send the IRS their check that day?

I thought I had read that the tax deadline was extended to Monday the 18th this year already? Apparently Friday the 15th is some DC holiday...?
Phrogs Phorever

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Planned Parenthood does provide family planning (including birth control) as well as pap smears, breast exams, etc. But I guess significant increases in Medicaid will cover those services. Oooops! The Republicans want to cut that also.

So it's my responsibility to pay for other people's condoms and health checks? This is a less convincing argument than you think.

Mike89406

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:20 pm

If it's any consolation...Navy Federal Credit Union will advance pay service members if there is a shutdown.
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/20...cover-pay-during-shutdown-040811w/

Mir

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 37):
So it's my responsibility to pay for other people's condoms and health checks? This is a less convincing argument than you think.

Regardless of where you might stand on the issue, the fact that we might see a government shutdown over it is ridiculous. The GOP needs to realize that they're not the majority party in the government at the moment, and let it go.

-Mir

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
Regardless of where you might stand on the issue, the fact that we might see a government shutdown over it is ridiculous. The GOP needs to realize that they're not the majority party in the government at the moment, and let it go.

That street runs both ways. We might see a government shut down because Democrats won't let go of $330 million in non-essential spending in a year we will spend $1.6 trillion we don't have.

Maverick623

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 39):
The GOP needs to realize that they're not the majority party in the government at the moment, and let it go.

I thought the GOP controlled the House? In that case, neither party has the upper hand in this one.

Obama will sign whatever comes his way. It would cost him the election next year if he doesn't.

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 40):
We might see a government shut down because Democrats won't let go of $330 million in non-essential spending in a year we will spend $1.6 trillion we don't have.

Why is it such a big deal? It's less than one quarter of one percent of the budget! We're still screwed anyways!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Mir

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):
I thought the GOP controlled the House?

And the Democrats control the Senate and the White House, which makes 2 of 3.

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 40):
We might see a government shut down because Democrats won't let go of $330 million in non-essential spending in a year we will spend $1.6 trillion we don't have.

The Democrats have pretty much met the numbers that the Republicans have wanted. Issues like Planned Parenthood are more policy issues than anything else (the Republicans have their non-essential spending that they won't let go of either, like NASCAR sponsorships), and those aren't worth a government shutdown over.

-Mir

Maverick623

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 42):

And like I said:

Obama will sign whatever comes his way.

He literally has no choice now that he's running for reelection. It doesn't really matter what's in it that would cause him to refuse to sign it otherwise. So it's purely a Congressional standoff.

For the record, as much as I despise what the GOP is doing right now, the Dems don't have clean hands either. I for one won't be voting for a single incumbent next year.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Why is it such a big deal? It's less than one quarter of one percent of the budget! We're still screwed anyways!
Quoting Mir (Reply 42):
The Democrats have pretty much met the numbers that the Republicans have wanted. Issues like Planned Parenthood are more policy issues than anything else (the Republicans have their non-essential spending that they won't let go of either, like NASCAR sponsorships), and those aren't worth a government shutdown over.

If we can't tackle the small, obvious spending items where the government has no business, how are we going to confront the big stuff? I'm absolutely not arguing in favor of the National Guard sponsoring a NASCAR, which I assume you were referring to. If we aren't serious about confronting the brutal facts, shut her down.

Most direct impact to me?

The Dept of the Interior will continue to ignore the mountain of drilling permits that need to be signed before we can start turning parts at my shop. We are beyond disfunction.

DeltaMD90

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 pm

This is horrible. The only side that is "right" is the side that can convince Americans that the other side is causing this mess.

I really hope both sides legitimately have America's best interests in heart because it kinda just seems like our country is being embarrassingly used as a battleground on false ideologies...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

sna752

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 pm

The budget was due in October. Who was in control at that time?

Do you know if there is anyway to itemize that change in value? It is beyond my economic ken, but I would like to know how much is due to the banking crisis, how much is due to policies such as monetizing the debt, unrestrained printing of money, changing trade balances, etc.

Depends on inflation. Japan will experience supply shock inflation, as the tsunamis/earthquakes have really upset their supply chain. We may see some trailing bits of that, but it's unlikely it will have a major effect.
The biggest reason that the value of our currency has fallen is because of the uncapped printing of money. With QE1/2, they began printing money, making unsterilized asset purchases, buying treasury notes, buying MBSs, etc. It's very difficult to tell, with any sort of precision, what/where affected the exchange rate. But all of those things have had a major role in the devaluation of our currency.

Quoting Mir (Reply 42):

That doesn't mean they need to stand down. This business should have been handled months ago. It shouldn't come down to this.

Unfortunately, Mr. Obama will be in election mode for the next two years. He will tell people what they want to hear and his actions will not match his words. The hope is, that the American people look at actions more than words and see the disconnect. I hope we are not duped again by a gentleman that has no idea how to 'do deals.'
Dare to think different.

Mir

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:48 am

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 44):
If we can't tackle the small, obvious spending items where the government has no business, how are we going to confront the big stuff?

It's easier to trim away at the big stuff than it is to cut little pet projects entirely.

Quoting sna752 (Reply 46):
That doesn't mean they need to stand down.

On policy issues, yeah it does. Or at least it does if they want to be sensible. A government shutdown is going to really suck for a lot of people - putting them through that over political grandstanding is deplorable.

-Mir

sna752

Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:58 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 47):
On policy issues, yeah it does. Or at least it does if they want to be sensible. A government shutdown is going to really suck for a lot of people - putting them through that over political grandstanding is deplorable.

I think there have to be concessions, and both sides need to give. Both sides didn't want to give and we have a perfect example of Game Theory & Prisoner's Dilemma, whereas:

...................... Cooperate | Defect
Cooperate......... 3 , 3 ....|.... 0 , 5
Defect.............. 5 , 0 ....|.... 1,1

We are currently in the bottom right, which is a lose-lose situation, as the net payoff is 2 pts. If both had cooperated (and made concessions, meeting in the middle), we would be in the upper left, which the net payoff is 6. If one side had given in to the other (as Mir suggested), the payoff would have been 5, which would be suboptimal.

Theory does deviate from reality, but the underlying theories remain the same. Again, this should have been handled before October. There is no excuse, from either party, for the way this has disintegrated.
Dare to think different.

Mir

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:23 am

Quoting sna752 (Reply 48):
I think there have to be concessions, and both sides need to give.

The Democrats have given $38 billion in cuts, which, if I'm not mistaken, is more than the Republicans initially wanted - it's certainly more than they'd have liked to give up. The Republicans are still holding firm on abortion (which has nothing to do with the economy) and health care (which is far too complicated to be worked out now, and should be deferred to later on). One side seems to have given a fair amount, and the other side is holding out over trivial stuff.

-Mir