DocLightning
Topic Author

AR Court Overturns Gay Adoption Ban

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:31 am

http://www.stuttgartdailyleader.com/...ourt-strikes-down-gay-adoption-law

Quote:
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. —

The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a voter-approved initiative that barred gay couples and other unmarried people living together from serving as adoptive or foster parents.

I am glad to see that at least someone's court recognizes that civil rights are NEVER to be put to a popular vote.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

OA412
Crew

RE: AR Court Overturns Gay Adoption Ban

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):
I am glad to see that at least someone's court recognizes that civil rights are NEVER to be put to a popular vote.

There are so many children in this country in desperate need of a loving home, and there are also numerous same-sex couples out there willing and able to provide a loving home, yet there are those who would chose to deny both of these wishes. It's one thing to deny adults their rights, it's a whole other issue to use children as pawns in a game of political chess. I'm so glad to see that common sense won out in Arkansas.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Maverick623

RE: AR Court Overturns Gay Adoption Ban

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 am

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):

You've heard of the smell test? I use the nose test. A person's right to swing their fist ends at another person's nose.

In this case, the Arkansas people's right to pass law by popular vote ends at a person's right to raise a family with or without whomever they choose.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 1):
It's one thing to deny adults their rights, it's a whole other issue to use children as pawns in a game of political chess.

I view them as the same level of bigotry. Neither has any place anywhere.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way