ipodguy7
Topic Author

What Languages Do You Speak?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:58 am

What languages do you speak? How many polyglots are out there on Anet?
Currently, I speak
English
Spanish (4 years of classes)
French (1 year so far)
Russian (just enough to get by in Moscow haha)
AA/DL/NW/CO/UA/US/B6/AC/FI/NY/EI/BD/BA/AF/AZ/DY/SK/QF/JQ

Airstud

RE: What Languages Do You Speak?

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:45 am

English, eighth-grade Spanish (thanks to my high school's "Honors" Spanish program, which I was in for all four years, and wherein we read Carlos Fuentes's The Death of Artemio Cruz...in English), and liturgical Hebrew.
Pancakes are delicious.

Mudboy

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 am

Listed in order of strength:
1. English
2. Spanish (Large vocabulary, but not fluent, I have to think of everything before I say it)
3. Hungarian (in the process of learning, since my Fiance is Hun) Very difficult!
4. German
5. Italian
6. French
7. Bosnian
8. Hindi
9. Punjabi
10. Arabic
11. Georgian

I can greet someone in :
English, French, Italian, Hungarian, Spanish, Arabic, Bosnian, Albanian, Russian, Georgian, German, Portuguese, Hindi, Punjabi, Swahili, Napali, Hawaiian, Japanese, and Ebonics 

Aaron747

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 am

1. English (have good understanding of British dialects, Aussie and Kiwi despite being American)
2. Japanese (conversant in topics not involving science, medicine, politics, philosophy, metaphysics, etc can read equivalent to a 4th or 5th grader lol)
3. Spanish (three years of HS education, reduced probably to survival level now)
4. Thai (basic survival, can get help, greet people, discuss age/where from/what I like to eat/do)
5. Korean (basic greetings)
6. Mandarin (basic greetings)
7. Hawaiian pidgin (no longer lost but still sounds crazy to me)
8. French (vocabulary from literature only)

In an entirely different category:

9. liturgical Hebrew (as with many US Jews, have fairly extensive Hebrew vocabulary but not at all conversant)

[Edited 2011-04-07 22:58:33]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

cpd

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:55 am

Speak American a bit - thanks to the wonders of computer technology.   (see if you can work out what I'm getting at there - and yes, I know there is no such language as that).

Apart from that, I can read and speak a bit of French, just not as well as I'd like.

Other than that, English (in the British manner).

Braniff747SP

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:14 am

English, Spanish, and Armenian, ok- not super fluent, but I can get by decently in Yerevan.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

airtrainer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:24 am

French,
English, not fluent but trying to do my best...
And being from the north of France, I speak "ch'ti"  
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:34 am

English and really really bad Norwegian.

QantasA333

Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:47 am

In order of experience:

1. English (native)
2. Indonesian (6 years of learning)
3. Swedish

CXB77L

Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 am

English. It's my second language, but after living in Australia for more than 20 years, I've become more proficient in English than in my native language, which is Cantonese. I'm starting to lose my Cantonese to the point where I sound like a foreigner when I go back to Hong Kong, and sometimes I struggle to understand a native Hong Kong person because they speak so damn fast! Also, I can no longer read or write in Chinese.

I also studied Japanese for five years when I was in high school - which was a long time ago and I've forgotten most of it. I can still read hiragana, and make out a few words here and there but I can't even construct a sentence together in Japanese. Incidentally, why do the Japanese even use kanji? It's far more complex than hiragana or katakana.

I'm not even sure if I'm truly bi-lingual anymore, let alone tri-lingual. I used to be, though  

[Edited 2011-04-08 01:51:38]
Boeing 777 fanboy

ajd1992

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am

Fluent British English, pretty pathetic German/French. I can get by in German if a waiter doesn't speak English, for example, but that's it. My French is limited to "Un, Deux, Trois", so that's useless to me.

I can read a little Danish/Swedish though. My written/read German isn't actually too bad, considering I've not had a German lesson in 3 years and I haven't been to Germany in 2, which helps there.

[Edited 2011-04-08 02:26:23]

AustrianZRH

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 am

Vorarlbergish (native, a Swiss-German-like dialect and hardly understandable even for German native speakers)
German (almost-native)
English (pretty well)
French (I was pretty good at the end of high school but haven't used it extensively since then so the only thing coming naturally without big thinking is the vacation vocabulary)
Luxemburgish (I am able to understand it, but not to speak it)
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

EDICHC

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 am

English (Scots dialect-native tongue)
French
German
Italian

The three above are very rusty as have not had much use since my schooldays (which wasn't exactly yesterday).

Learning Tagalog as my missus is from Central Luzon
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

travelavnut

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:49 am

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 2):

Holy crap!! In what language do you dream?

My list in order of strength;

1. Dutch (duh)
2. English - as fluent as Dutch, I sometimes think in English (worked in London for a while)
3. German - can make little small talk, survive by being able to buy bread and beer 
4. France - enough words to get a girl to come home with me, not enough words to continue the conversation when coming home (but who would want to)   
5. Spanish - Holla! Que?! Donde esta? ..that's about it  
Live From Amsterdam!

Mudboy

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 13):
Holy crap!! In what language do you dream?

These days Hungarian 

travelavnut

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 14):

Aww nice going Mr Mud  
Live From Amsterdam!

stlgph

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm

American English
Franglais
Bastardized French
Chicago Cab Driver
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

tk747

Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:45 pm

In order of ability

English
Macedonian
Serbian
Russian

Quokka

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 2):
3. Hungarian (in the process of learning, since my Fiance is Hun) Very difficult!

Ha ha, that reminds me of a female acquaintance that I have in Budapest who said that the only time any sensible man wants to learn Hungarian is when he is in love with a Hungarian woman. "Only trouble is", she said, "by then he is no longer sensible." Sok szerencsét!

Mind you, she also said that she was told that Hungarian is related to Finnish, but it only took three weeks in Finland to realise she couldn't understand a word anyone was saying.  

I suppose English is obvious:
لقد ولدت في ليبيا
German because my Mother is from Hamburg, I went to school in Germany and I worked for a German company for a while;
As a result of living living in Singapore and Malaya as a child with a Malay amah and from subsequent visits, I have a smattering of Malay which enables me to understand some Indonesian (the two are not identical but share some similarities);
French because I learnt it at school and on subsequent visits to France found that falling off a bike is more painful;
I tried Croatian but as they insisted on replying in German I switched to Italian. That'll show them!

einsteinboricua

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Spanish and English (Spanish in my native language and English is the second language). I'm equally fluent in both, though I have a preference for English.

I have a couple of years in French so I may just survive in a French speaking country. That's about it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Quokka

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 19):
I'm equally fluent in both, though I have a preference for English.

That is interesting. Is it because of the US link and because it may afford greater opportunities or is it for "aesthetic" values? The reason I ask is that because to me some languages sound more musical, for want of a better description.

Boeing744

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 pm

In order of strength:

English - native
German - functionally fluent
French - conversational functionality

Spanish - basic conversational skills
Japanese - some basic sayings and words (very little)

My German has been getting worse and my French has been getting much better as a result of having moved to Ottawa. I hope to improve my French to a fluent level and then I suppose learn more Spanish while maintaining my German. If I can get those 4 languages under control I would like to learn Arabic or Russian.

pdxtriple7

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:18 pm

English - Native
Spanish - More or less fluent. It was my second major in college, I spent a semester in Madrid, and worked in Santiago de Chile for a summer (Chilean Spanish is basically another language though)
Arabic - Took classes for a year. I've forgotten most of it.
French - Very little. Enough to get around.

I'm jealous of the people that speak 5+ languages. I wish I had started younger and learned more. I still want to learn French and improve my Arabic.

tarheelwings

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:26 pm

English - fluent
Spanish - fluent
French - used to be fluent, could regain fluency easily through practice

The above are the advantages of growing up in a household with a Chilean father and a French mother. As a kid, I would speak English with my brothers and sisters and French and Spanish with my parents.

fxramper

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm

I speak Texan English.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 16):
Chicago Cab Driver

Brilliant!   

WildcatYXU

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:29 pm

Slovak - native
Hungarian - fluent. Nobody knows if I spoke first Slovak or Hungarian
English - with strong accent, but usable 
Russian - suffered heavy damage, but I still can understand and read it. To speak and write would require some refresher training (couple months in Russia perhaps?)
German - suffered so heavy damage that I removed it from my resume. However, if you speak slowly and refrain from slang words, I will understand you.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

travelavnut

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Quoting fxramper (Reply 24):
I speak Texan English.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 16):
Chicago Cab Driver

Brilliant!

Haha indeed, good one!!   

So any non-Dutch here that speak Dutch?!
Live From Amsterdam!

Quokka

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 26):

Not by any means fluently, but I did find that when I lived in Rheindahlen and went shopping in Roermond and Venlo a mixture of German and Dutch sufficed because of the Limburg dialect that appears to be a mixture of both. Where I lived it was possible to pick up Dutch television, although they often broadcast American programs with Dutch sub-titles. They even had a wonderful French program "Thierry, La Fronde" with Dutch sub-titles.

OK, I have aged myself now.

[Edited 2011-04-08 08:02:59]

tarheelwings

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Quoting pdxtriple7 (Reply 22):
Chilean Spanish is basically another language though

?????? I have to disagree, other than accent and the typical slang differences, the Spanish spoken in Chile is not that different than what's spoken in other Spanish speaking countries.

LFutia

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm

English (duhhh live in the States!)
Dutch (self taught for the last 8 years)
Bosnian ( a little bit still learning thanks to friends)
Polish (same as Bosnian)
Hindi (Born in India, never brought up with it . Shame )

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

AM744

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Spanish
English
basic French (can read newspapers, watch newscasts, but I can't really express myself fluently nor write it beyond very basic stuff)

YYZflyer

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:14 pm

I am fluent in:
English
Sarcasm

Also, I can read French and kind of figure out the general idea of what they're saying. Not fluent in any way.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

Revelation

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Fluent in US English, can follow most conversations in Lithuanian but not speak it (parents and grandparents were fluent, so I mostly learned commands like "stop hitting your brother", and in the case of my father, "go get me a beer"), bits and pieces of Spanish (three years in high school), same in German (a few years of self-study on and off).

Quoting fxramper (Reply 24):
I speak Texan English.

No shiiiiiiiiiit!   
Inspiration, move me brightly!

pdxtriple7

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Quoting tarheelwings (Reply 28):
?????? I have to disagree, other than accent and the typical slang differences, the Spanish spoken in Chile is not that different than what's spoken in other Spanish speaking countries.

There is so much more slang than other Spanish-speaking countries and the lack of pronunciation makes it different. I prefer formal Castellano in Spain (I think it just sounds good). I've found Peruvian Spanish is very easy to understand. Argentian Spanish is a mixed bag. It takes me a day to get used to the "ll" -> "sh."

Chilean Spanish, moreso than in other countries, drops the end off of many words, especially "s'." I think it's mostly the amount of slang for common words and phrases that makes Chilean Spanish somewhat difficult.

tarheelwings

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Quoting pdxtriple7 (Reply 33):
Chilean Spanish, moreso than in other countries, drops the end off of many words, especially "s'." I think it's mostly the amount of slang for common words and phrases that makes Chilean Spanish somewhat difficult.

Having lived in Chile for a number of years I know what you mean  .....but I still wouldn't go as far as calling it a different language. As far as the formal Castilian spoken in Spain, there's a world of difference between the Spanish spoken by the educated classes versus the non in Spain (and the same is probably even more true in South America).

iakobos

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 6):
And being from the north of France, I speak "ch'ti"

Salut biloute !   

Count me in.

Flemish (various dialects) and Dutch
(basically the same of course, only, due to their big teeth the Dutch have difficulties pronouncing it correctly)   
French (all schooling but one year done in it)
English (main communication tool for the last 25 years or so)
German (near perfect understanding, I watch German tv everyday, great channels)
Greek (despite a medically-unexplained allergy)   
Letzebuerg (60% of German, 30% of French, a bit of Mosel wine, shake and serve...)
Swiss German (one year overthere)
Swiss French (like French with two flat tires, always difficult to stay awake before the sentence ends)   
Swahili (earlier in life)

I can grasp some significant bits in many European languages, the exceptions being Finnish and Hungarian.

The Dutch think I am French, the British think I am Danish, the Danish and Germans think I am Dutch, the Greeks think I am German, only the French got it right. Alleluiah !

bgm

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Tried, failed and my throat never recovered! 

Derico

Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Quoting pdxtriple7 (Reply 33):
Argentian Spanish is a mixed bag. It takes me a day to get used to the "ll" -> "sh."

That's Rioplatense Spanish which is the dialect of about 50% of the population true, but still for your own safety never tell someone from Cordoba or Mendoza that they speak with the ''sh''! (nearly as bad as calling a US southern a Yankee: personal experience). If you have a bit of an ear for Spanish as you seem to do, compare the following:

The beginning of the clip is in standard Rioplatense (not too heavy, the accent can be thicker than that!), and at about 0:45 the teacher starts talking cordobes dialect, a bit exagerated since it's a sketch but it gets the point!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUlh9AU0pkc cordobes accent (central heartland)

norteño-chaqueño accent by the chick in this spot (spoken in the northeastern provinces except Misones I think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px6YBEtLFqA

There is a different accent in the northwest, closer to Bolivian once you get north of Salta.

Compare now the two above to a totally typical porteño accent (along the eastern urban regions, with peppered lunfardo, a dialect all it's own). In southern Santa Fe and the rest of Buenos Aires province the accent is similar but less pronounced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrhCqbYcVV8

In Mendoza the accent is not as up and down as rioplantense, and most importantly the ll or y is not pronounced as in ''sheep'' but as in ''yes''. This local news anchor is the archtypical Mendocino accent, a bit slower, it tends to swallow final ''s'', and no ''sh'' sound (you can immediately compare the anchor with Cristina Kirchner, who almost immediately uses ''sh'' sounds).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwvCfPDy_4
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

BOStonsox

Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:59 pm

I speak English as my primary language.
Tuve clases en Espanol por seis anos en el colegio y la escuela media.
Mia zia viva in Italia y ho imparato per dos semesters in universidad.
Tuigim Gaeilge shimpli agam.

I hope I said these right. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Javascript, Klingon, Elven, or other "nerd" languages.
2013 World Series Champions!

goblin211

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 pm

English
French 3yrs in HS i only remember a little.
I can say airplane in English, Russian, Spanish, French, Chinese(mandarin) Italian, Arabic.
From the airport with love

CXfirst

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 10):
I can read a little Danish/Swedish though

If you can read a little Danish/Swedish then you can read a little Norwegian, so you can add that to the list!

I can speak:

Norwegian (fluent)
English (fluent)
Spanish (5 years worth)

And as any Norwegian would say:

Swedish and Danish  

I can converse with anyone speaking only one of the 5 languages I mentioned (with Danish and Swedish, I would converse in Norwegian, the other in Danish/Swedish, and we would understand each other), as well as read all 5 to a good degree of understanding.

-CXfirst

comorin

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Tamil - Language of my soul, Namaskaram!
English - Oy! Defines my thoughts and action.
German - Broken. Ich war in Hamburg fur drei jahre als Kind...
Hindi - Almost failed my O level. Bas yaar...
Punjabi - Enough to insult your sister/mother, normal greeting in Punjab.
French: J'ai apris pour 2 ans a Le Alliance F; to impress friends when ordering food.
Jive: See 'Airplane!'...

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:42 pm

English
Hindi
Marathi
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Revelation

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 13):
In what language do you dream?

Porn! 
Inspiration, move me brightly!

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:35 pm

100% fluent in both US English and Mexican Spanish. Learned both simultaneously whilst growing up. Ah the perks of being an expat.

I can also easily hold a conversation with Portuguese and Italian Speakers, since Spanish is so closely related. French, is more of a challenge, but doable.

Severnaya

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:02 pm

In order of ability:

- Dutch
- English
- Russian
- German
- French
- Spanish
- Finnish

EDIT: and I forgot that I know also pretty much Nedersaksisch/Niedersächsisch/West Low German

[Edited 2011-04-09 10:04:38]
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

Derico

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 44):
I can also easily hold a conversation with Portuguese and Italian Speakers, since Spanish is so closely related. French, is more of a challenge, but doable.
Quoting CXfirst (Reply 40):
I can converse with anyone speaking only one of the 5 languages I mentioned (with Danish and Swedish, I would converse in Norwegian, the other in Danish/Swedish, and we would understand each other), as well as read all 5 to a good degree of understanding.

Hold the phone guys. I'm not taking anything away here from both of you, and I think many of the languages people claimed to speak are limited to set phrases and loose vocabulary (to me that is not an ability to ''speak'', just more of a Parrot effect)...

You can hold a conversation in Italian and Portuguese, or Danish and Swedish and keep it 100% in that language? That is, not mixed in words from your own language that either do not exist in the other, or do exist but mean something slightly different. Let me give an example in Spanish to Portuguese since I don't know Scandinavian languages (yet), and CXfirst knows quite a bit of Spanish anyway:

"Eu hei olvidado de limpiar a calhe."

Now, I used proper portuguese words, plus the correct verb and subject, and if I speak out this phrase with correct portuguese pronounciation it is likely 80% of portuguese speakers will understand what I am trying to say. But is that REALLY speaking portuguese or just doing a bad human imitation of google translate or babel altavista?

"Eu me esqueci de limpar a rua." (or tenho esquecido, tenho instead of hei since that verb is somewhat archaic portuguese)

Much more proper and relevant portuguese. Conversely:

"Tu podes me ajudar? Preciso encontrar una direção."

I will totally understand what the portuguese person is asking, but that is not really speaking standard Spanish.

"¿Me puedes ayudar? Necesito encontrar una dirección."

I'm learning portuguese right now, and that is why I bring this up. Because after only a month of learning there were time I felt I could just go online and chat it away in ''Portuguese'', until I realized if I did that I would invariably mix Spanish 50% of the time because my vocabulary was still limited... and so if I wasn't sure of how to say something in Portuguese I may be tempted to fill in the blanks with Spanish, playing translation russian roulette. Which anyways doesn't help you learn.

So right now I have the interesting effect of holding myself back from writing too much in Portuguese. I'm taking it slow, writing only what I know 100% to say with the correct words, sintax, and the like (i.e portuguese places object pronouns different than Spanish does: pode me ajudar, Acho-o, etc) With German, I have the opposite situation: I feel I have to push myself to write, even if I make mistakes. Because in this case, I can't fall back on Spanish (or English for that matter, though I do sometimes), because the language is different enough as to force you to learn what you need to say.

Which is why I'm glad I choose those two languages, one being quite a bit different in many ways (though there are some parallels to English with German), and the other seemingly so close. It forces me into different ways of dealing with the learning process.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Aesma

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Parisian French with abilities in both slang and literary variations.

A mix of American and English English.

Some Italian as most of my family is Italian and I go there often, unfortunately I never learned it and it's not really necessary when all the family speak French anyway, and the languages are close.

Some German as I learned it for 9 or 10 years in school (my first second language) but I would forgot everything after only days, so now I only know computer parts and words related to ordering stuff on German websites.

A few words of Breton as my father is from Brittany, but it's mostly a dead language so no incentive to learn it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Fly2HMO

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:04 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 46):

Hold the phone guys. I'm not taking anything away here from both of you, and I think many of the languages people claimed to speak are limited to set phrases and loose vocabulary (to me that is not an ability to ''speak'', just more of a Parrot effect)...

Now you're just over analyzing.  

Zentraedi

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:10 pm

English (native)
Japanese (high school to university level reading ability. Depends on the subject. Science, mathematics and other technical subjects are no problem. I could easily do any of my industry certification exams in Japanese as well. Fiction? Poetry? F that. What I really need to do is improve my writing skills.)

French (Casual conversation)
Spanish(basic converstion. One problem is that I keep mixing French words in with my Spanish.)
Tagalog (all the dirty phrases, basic greeting and all the Spanish words[Tagalog has a lot]. One problem I have is that sometimes I try to say words in Tagalog and no one understands me because those are actually just from my mother's dialect, Bicol.)