United Airline
Topic Author

Will Obama Get A Second Term?

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:26 am

Will Obama get a second term? Doesn't seem that his rating is very high.

If not, who will get it? Sarah Palin? Jeb Bush? Joe the plumber? Who else?

cws818

RE: Will Obama Get A Second Term?

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:38 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
Will Obama get a second term?

We do not know at this time. Check back in November 2012. You ask as though it were even remotely possible to answer with any certainty at this point. Obviously, it is not.

We do not know at this time. Check back in November 2012. You ask as though it were even remotely possible to answer with any certainty at this point. Obviously, it is not.
volgende halte...Station Hollands Spoor

AI121

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:40 am

If not, who will get it? Sarah Palin?

Let's hope that won't happen.
dhRuv

OA412
Crew

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 am

Quoting cws818 (Reply 1):

Joe the plumber? Are you being serious or just sarcastic? If serious, what in the world would make you think he would make a run for the presidency?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Airstud

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:16 am

I can't believe the responses UnitedAirline has gotten here; it's a perfectly harmless conversation topic.

In any case, it will not go to Sarah Palin; and I don't understand the weight that otherwise intelligent people keep giving to this prospect. Sarah Palin is Dan Quayle redux.

You know who I would really like to see throw her hat in the ring is Christine Todd Whitman.
Pancakes are delicious.

Mortyman

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:14 am

From what I understand Hillary Clinton has said NO to go for the presidency ...

cws818

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 4):
I can't believe the responses UnitedAirline has gotten here; it's a perfectly harmless conversation topic.

It is also a perfectly, profoundly, and obviously premature conversation.

Superfly

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:22 am

True but some people think that questioning anything about Obama or criticism of Obama is off limits.
I DO think so much can happen between now and November 2012. Although his numbers are low, he can still win a 2nd. term as Dubya did who also had low numbers.
If the Republicans nominate Mitt Romney, President Obama would win a 2nd. term.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 5):

Obama said that also a number of years ago.

Sarah Palin? Jeb Bush? Joe the plumber?

I hope not!
Bring back the Concorde

cws818

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:26 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):

Sarah Palin? Jeb Bush? Joe the plumber?

I hope not!

Indeed!

Now Obama vs. someone like Rep. David Dreier (R-CA) would be interesting.

NorthstarBoy

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:42 am

The real question is will the tea party and their deep pocketed backers slit his throat politically by giving him a second term with a GOP controlled house and senate, allowing him to accomplish absolutely nothing for at least half of his second term?
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

aloges

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:58 am

I hope he does. I shudder to think what Tea Partiers with their "amputate an arm to cure a sore thumb" approach would do to the biggest national economy in the world.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Mudboy

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:32 am

At this point, I do not think Pres. Obama is a big enough failure, to be beaten by any of the front-runners of the GOP.
If Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney get the GOP nomination, Pres. Obama will get 4 more years.
The GOP is foaming at the mouth to get Gov. Christy to run, but if he quits his term half way through, he falls in the same boat with Palin, for not having experience and quitting on his state before his term was completed. I do however think, that if he serves his term and gets re-elected, that he will be the GOP front-runner in 2016.

At this point, I think the only potential GOP that could challemge Pres, Obama is Donald Trump, and anyone that says he does not have a chance, is fooling themselves. The majority of voters, know nothing about politics, but they know who Donald Trump is, and many only vote on name recognition. How many uneducated voters do you think voted for GW Bush, just because his Dad was Pres. and he seemed like a nice guy? How many do you think would not vote for Jeb Bush, just because he is the brother of GW Bush, even though he may have made a good Pres? Then there are moderates like me, that are sick of all the cookie-cutter politicians, and all their BS promises, and are ready for a real change! Trump may not win, but at this point, I think he is the ONLY chance the GOP has at winning in 2012.

The real question is will the GOP tear itself apart, because of the Tea party, and let the Dems slip right past them, while they are bickering?

ltbewr

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:57 am

If the voters could re-elect GWB and Clinton, despite all their terrible flaws and scandals, then the odds fo Obama winning a 2nd term are historically favorable. As in those elections, the other party had weak and seriously flawed candidates and I suspect that in 2012 the Republicans will put up a similarly weak canidate.

Dreadnought

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 10):
I hope he does. I shudder to think what Tea Partiers with their "amputate an arm to cure a sore thumb" approach would do to the biggest national economy in the world.

Believe me, our problems are more than a sore thumb.

You can't really predict until the primary really gets underway. Trump is an interesting choice - a proven executive with charisma and knows how the economy works. But he's said some pretty nutty things lately. Newt Gingrich is unquestionably the most knowledgeable candidate on either side - in a debate Gingrich would wipe the floor with Obama, but Gingrich has some baggage that might be tough to overcome. He would be an excellent president, I think, but he needs to let go of some of his past associations (agribusiness, for instance). Christie would be a fine choice, but I agree that he needs a little more seasoning for a 2016-20 run (and a diet - the fat jokes from the left will be merciless).

There are some lesser known names that might be pretty good but I don't know if they will get the name recognition they need. I'm not too impressed with the rest of the front-runners. Palin's heart and philosophy is in the right place but I think it's more absorbed than deeply understood (not necessarily a bad thing - a president is supposed to lead and point the way), and her voice and speaking style grates on me like nails on a chalkboard.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

connies4ever

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I agree. Political speculation is meat and potatoes for anyone, anytime. Or should be. Of course, the further out into the future you look, the less likely the predictions are.

You know who I would really like to see throw her hat in the ring is Christine Todd Whitman.

That's a very interesting idea, she is what I would consider to be a thoughtful conservative. Her opposition to wedge issues as espoused by Bush-ites and TP'ers is a welcome relief, frankly.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 9):
The real question is will the tea party and their deep pocketed backers slit his throat politically by giving him a second term with a GOP controlled house and senate, allowing him to accomplish absolutely nothing for at least half of his second term?

For sure that's a problem for BHO. He's already starting to see it in his feud with the current Congress. Although there is the possibility of the GOP really being at war with itself, it might self-destruct in internal cleansing, default 2012, and look to 2016 to reclaim the WH.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 12):
If the voters could re-elect GWB and Clinton, despite all their terrible flaws and scandals, then the odds fo Obama winning a 2nd term are historically favorable. As in those elections, the other party had weak and seriously flawed candidates and I suspect that in 2012 the Republicans will put up a similarly weak canidate.

I think if Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney or Michelle Bachman (be very afraid...) are nominated,it's a slam dunk for BHO. I recall the Florida town hall meeting where a voter got up and shouted at Romney that "you will never be President because you are not a Christian!". Appearance becomes reality, I don't think anyone viewed as non-Christian could be elected president in the USA these days (apologies to any offended). Huckabee is somewhat interesting, but he does say stupid things from time to time. I think Tim Pawlenty is a good dark horse candidate. Trump ? So much baggage with him. Same for Newt.

One thing I think that could be currently overlooked, but might be a real asset for BHO is the current economic situation. I cannot recall a president who inherited so many diverse problems upon taking office, then had to deal with new issues such as Deepwater Horizon. With so much on his plate, it was inevitable that some initiatives are bound to fail or at least stumble. However, slowly but surely things do seem to be turning around in the USA. For sure still lots of major structural problems, particularly the deficit and the home mortgage issue, but give it another year and the economy may well be firing on more cylinders. That is a huge asset for any incumbent president, to be quoting lower unemployment figures, house sales, other economic indicators. And good or at least better times frequently translate into re-election.

All of this matters to me as a Canadian. What happens in American politics usually has a strong effect on what happens in my country, due to the relative sizes of our economies. The reverse, not so much. So we tend to take a good interest in what happens in your nation, politically, economically, and socially.

It will be interesting, no doubt.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

aloges

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 13):
Believe me, our problems are more than a sore thumb.

It was a figure of speech, not a political analysis.  
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Ken777

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Quoting cws818 (Reply 6):
It is also a perfectly, profoundly, and obviously premature conversation.

It's actually pretty timely. Obama has already started down the formal path. A lot of politicians have played the game for 2 years and the real issues in the next election will come to the front when work starts on the 2012 budget. The killing off of Medicare and Medicaid will be at the top of the list and I can see killing off Social Security coming in second, even though SS has been held back - for now.

The Tea Party will still be around simply because of their funding, but the Tea Party won't have delivered any improvements to the nation so they will remain a loud force with no real performance.

Christi appears to be a popular choice, but I don't believe that he would be able to handle the US Congress the way he handled the state legislature. We'll see if he drops in weight - a real problem for him on the national stage.

Gingrich has too sordid a past to get by the Christian Right during the nominating process. The Republicans tried to get rid of Clinton with their panty sniffing antics and Gingrich provides the Democrats with the target to repay the Republicans.

Trump is making a lot of noise, but I have zero confidence in his willingness to accept the limitations of the office. Amazing, but I believe his ego is too big for the office.

seb146

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Sarah Palin is Dan Quayle redux.

HARDLY! Dan Quayle at least showed some signs of education at some points in his political career.

True but some people think that questioning anything about Obama or criticism of Obama is off limits.

Quite the opposite. This country has been become so partisan that it is the belief system that attacks on POTUS can occur simply by what letter is behind his name.

Remember all the rehtoric whenever anyone would quesiton Bush? How, if anyone questioned him, they were terrorists, un-American and hated America? I remember a time in these United States when we could openly criticize the president no matter what party we were from and no matter what party he was from.

Trump is an interesting choice - a proven executive with charisma and knows how the economy works.

Except this is not the corporations of America and we can not declare bankrupcy multiple times. If it came down to him or Palin, I would vote for him, but since there are others throughout the right-wing that do appeal to Democrats, he does not stand a chance.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 14):
a voter got up and shouted at Romney that "you will never be President because you are not a Christian!".

Replace "Romney" with "Obama" and it does sound like the right-wing....

Will Obama get a second term? With all the in-fighting within the right-wing, yes. Yes he will. And the Dems will re-gain control of Congress and things will get done this time.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:26 pm

No way, the lady is a perfect example of a RINO.

I thought it was the American people (at least American Democrats) that said NO to a Hillary Clinton presidency.

airtran737

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 pm

As a Tea Party member I am going to do everything in my power to ensure that Obama is out on his ass after one term. I fear that he may get re-elected because we have not come up with a strong candidate who could go up against him. People will vote for Obama just for the fact that he is black, and we need to find someone who can change their minds. Living in Atlanta I can fully back this statement up from hearing various radio and television interviews during the 2008 election. 2012 is going to be a nasty race.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

JAL

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:32 pm

I sure hope that he get's re-elected!
Work Hard But Play Harder

Revelation

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 9):

I think the deep pocketed ones would truly rather have their man/woman in the White House instead of keeping Obama around as a punching bag.

And if he is still in the White House, he can veto any attempt to repeal the health care act, which of course is a key goal of the TP'ers. And if the provisions that start kicking in around 2014 prove to be popular, health care will be impossible to repeal.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 12):

Yes, it's easy to see BHO's ratings are weak, but things can quickly change depending on who ends up winning the GOP nomination.

The Tea Party "less government" mantra had a lot of appeal till people started to see exactly which parts of government the TP'ers were going to get rid of.

I consider myself to be an Obama supporter, but with time my support is waning.

The big issue to me is that we need leadership from a President, but Obama isn't a leader, he's a Chicago-style behind-the-scenes deal maker. That's what his chief of staff should be doing, not him.

Contrast with Reagan, for instance, who said "Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" instead of saying "Hey Gorbachev, let's have a summit to discuss tearing down this wall".

It might be rational to say his deal making is pretty effective, but I think our desire for leadership is basically irrational.

In any case, my mind is still open on the issue. It all depends on who the GOP nominates.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

StarAC17

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:44 pm

In any case, it will not go to Sarah Palin; and I don't understand the weight that otherwise intelligent people keep giving to this prospect. Sarah Palin is Dan Quayle redux.

Sarah Palin makes Dan Quayle and even GWB look like geniuses.

Obama said that also a number of years ago.

No democrat is going to challenge Obama in 2012 and I don't think Hillary would have a chance as an independent.

But he's said some pretty nutty things lately.

You have to appeal to the nuts on the right (birther movement) to get the nomination. Same with the democrats they have to appeal to the nuts on the left. If Trump gets the nomination he will move to the centre especially on social issues if he wants to win the middle. Whoever wins the middle wins the election.

Quoting connies4ever (Reply 14):
One thing I think that could be currently overlooked, but might be a real asset for BHO is the current economic situation. I cannot recall a president who inherited so many diverse problems upon taking office, then had to deal with new issues such as Deepwater Horizon. With so much on his plate, it was inevitable that some initiatives are bound to fail or at least stumble. However, slowly but surely things do seem to be turning around in the USA. For sure still lots of major structural problems, particularly the deficit and the home mortgage issue, but give it another year and the economy may well be firing on more cylinders. That is a huge asset for any incumbent president, to be quoting lower unemployment figures, house sales, other economic indicators. And good or at least better times frequently translate into re-election.

While all true, I think many really thought that this man would be a super president and be able to fix everything quickly, when in reality a lot of these problems are the result of 30+ years of poor economic policy on both sides of the aisle. Because of that its not going to be fixed in 4. If the economy turns around significantly in the next year then Obama is a shoe in for re-election and might even get congress back (their approval rating is far below his). If it doesn't he will have a tough time being re-elected and might even lose the senate.

Quoting Mudboy (Reply 11):
At this point, I think the only potential GOP that could challemge Pres, Obama is Donald Trump, and anyone that says he does not have a chance, is fooling themselves. The majority of voters, know nothing about politics, but they know who Donald Trump is, and many only vote on name recognition. How many uneducated voters do you think voted for GW Bush, just because his Dad was Pres. and he seemed like a nice guy?

As a moderate this should infuriate you that someone can be elected to the most powerful office in the world because he is a successful businessman and is on TV (mainly the latter). Not to say that Trump wouldn't be a good president, but a lot of the issues with the US government right now is that the people vote for their officials on weather or not they seem like an average Joe, and not how they would actually govern. This is why politicians follow the people, where people should follow but question their elected officials.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Aloha717200

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I personally do not believe that Obama is going to win a second term. I believe the Republicans will win around 292 electoral votes, and possibly as many as 316 if New Hampshire and Pennsylvania go red. I do not believe that Wisconsin will be captured, as I believe the union protests in that state have soured the appeal of the Republican Party there.

And I believe the next president of the United States is going to be either Mitt Romney or Donald Trump.

In spite of this, I am supporting and voting for Obama and hope he wins, but if he DOES win, it will be by a hair's breadth, and at this time I don't see a way for him to do it. I can't possibly imagine him capturing Ohio or Florida, and I can't see him capturing any of the western or southern, "traditionally red" states he won last time. Indiana is out of the question, and it's laughable that the Democrats think that holding their convention in North Carolina will keep that state in play. It's gone baby, gone.

[Edited 2011-04-09 10:37:41]

Longhornmaniac

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 23):

Did I miss something? Is it November 2012 yet? You make a lot of outrageously bold statements as if nothing can change between now and 2012. Even with that said, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, either.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Mir

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 19):
People will vote for Obama just for the fact that he is black

About as many as will vote against him just for the fact that he is black, so it cancels out.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Aloha717200

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 24):
Did I miss something? Is it November 2012 yet? You make a lot of outrageously bold statements as if nothing can change between now and 2012. Even with that said, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, either.

I stated what I believe and what I see at this point in time. However, I think my assessment that North Carolina and Indiana are next to impossible stands true regardless, because it took an extraordinary set of circumstances for these two states to be in play last time, where a strong wave of anti-republican sentiment was permeating the polls. This time, however, there has been a strong wave of anti-incumbent sentiment that affected the last set of elections, and now that the Tea Party is a very real factor in the political game, I highly doubt we would see a wave of support for Obama strong enough to capture these two states.

You correctly point out that it isn't 2012 yet, and yes, in the game of politics even a week is an eternity. But, if the the mood of the country and the political mechanics that are at work TODAY are still in place in 2012, then the above result is what I see occuring.

So, a clarification: I see Obama losing in 2012, and the Republicans capturing 292 to 316 electoral votes, if something doesn't dramatically shift in the democrats' favor over the next year and a half.

And this is coming from a declared democrat and Obama supporter, studying Political Science at my university. I hope that the situation does change. I do want Obama to win a second term. I just don't find it likely at this point in time.

One other thing: If a republican in office hasa 50% approval rating ahead of an election, they generally tend to win the election. If a Democrat has a 50% approval rating ahead of an election, they generally tend to lose.

This is because America is, by and large, a conservative leaning nation. So if the chances are 50/50 on election day, the undecideds *generally* break for the conservative. This means that Obama has to do even more and go even farther win the election than a Republican would.

Also, remember, 2012 will be the year in which corporations will unleash the floodgates of political ads in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling on their freedom of speech. Frankly, even if Obama does raise his billion dollars in campaign contributions, I see corporations matching that amount at the very minimum in order to oppose him, and very well might surpass that figure, especially when so many insurance companies have a vested interest in this...they know that if Obama gets re-elected, Obama Care will not be repealed. If a Republican gets elected, it very well might.

I expect them to therefore consider airing political ads in 2012 a measure of utmost importance for the survival of their existing business model. They will fight hard. And a lot of americans will be told a lot of lies sold as political truths. Expect the insurancy industry ads to be as barbed as the Swift Boat ads of 2004 were. This one's gonna get UGLY.

[Edited 2011-04-09 11:07:28]

Zentraedi

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Newt Gingrich is unquestionably the most knowledgeable candidate on either side - in a debate Gingrich would wipe the floor with Obama, but Gingrich has some baggage that might be tough to overcome.

Yikes, he's one of those nuts that expects NYC to become a Christian version of Saudi Arabia.

Man, imagine how much damage that could do to the economy there.

connies4ever

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 17):
Sarah Palin is Dan Quayle redux.

HARDLY! Dan Quayle at least showed some signs of education at some points in his political career.

He's also a much better golfer than Sarah Palin...  Wow!

einsteinboricua

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 18):
I thought it was the American people (at least American Democrats) that said NO to a Hillary Clinton presidency.

Doesn't stop her from going to primaries once again (to which she has already said no).

I personally do not believe that Obama is going to win a second term.

We still have more than a year to see what's gonna happen. With the shutdown crisis thing, the outlook for the GOP doesn't look as bright as it did in November. A poll (yes, it's a poll) found that if the shutdown happened, 37% blamed the GOP vs BO (20%) or the Democrats (20%). Either the GOP gets its act together (something that they won't do) or they lose the House to the Democrats and miss their chance with the White House.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Okie

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Will Obama get a second term? Doesn't seem that his rating is very high.

Maybe we should ask Mo Mo, Obama does not want him back in office, thrown cruise missiles, bombs, and attack aircraft at him. Mo Mo may have a take on Obama and a second term. Justsayin.

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 26):
Also, remember, 2012 will be the year in which corporations will unleash the floodgates of political ads in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling on their freedom of speech. Frankly, even if Obama does raise his billion dollars in campaign contributions, I see corporations matching that amount at the very minimum in order to oppose him

What in the world are you talking about, corporations love Obama. You have Soros ties, General Electric, 3 of the 4 largest banks, the auto manufacturers, the oil companies (petrobras in particular), everybody on Wall Street is getting rich off Obama at your expense. That 40 year old cliche is not working about corporations try some facts.

My take is this, what is going to keep Obama from being elected is inflation. He keeps printing money and printing money trying to keep interest rates down. Other countries as well as US investors do not drink the Fukushima Water coming out of the Obama camp. They will bet with future trades in commodities and oil to reflect the devaluation of the dollar. Just after Obama just rewrote the rules into the investors favor with a 10 to 1 ratio. If you think 110bbl oil is high wait till what happens with a 10 to 1 ratio, every dollar invested becomes 10 for every dollar of price change. Invest a million in corn futures, the price goes a dollar a bushel you now have 10 million dollars that the consumer ends up paying. That box of corn flakes is going to cost you 9 bucks by the time Obama is done with you if you can afford 8 dollar a gallon gas to drive to the store to buy it. So the answer is corporations and Wall St. will want Obama elected, the real question will be will the public keep putting up with it.

Okie

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 24):

Yes, you did miss something! What has to change is Obama's philosophy. The county is not ready (nor will it ever be) for socialism.

Last Novembers elections showed that American want a smaller government. Just last night the Republican's handed Obama a huge defeat on the budget. So if Obama wants another term he has to get in step with the American people.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Because this is who the media wants to run against Obama. Therefore, they continually put her name out there and give much more credit (or noteriety) than deserves.

At this point, I do not think Pres. Obama is a big enough failure,

Jimmy Carter is hitting his knees everyday. He will soon be able to shake off the 'Worst President Ever' title.

You can't really predict until the primary really gets underway.

I also, will reserve any predictions on the nominee and the result until the season really gets going.

Trump is an interesting choice

Too much baggae. Does bring a different perspective to the debate, as long as he can get off the birther nonsense. He won't get the nomination, but he will shape the debate.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 22):
You have to appeal to the nuts on the right (birther movement) to get the nomination.

I disagree. The birther movement is constantly being revived by the media in order to make Republicans and Conservatives look like loons. Trump is using it as a means to enter the debate.

Newt Gingrich is unquestionably the most knowledgeable candidate on either side - in a debate Gingrich would wipe the floor with Obama, but Gingrich has some baggage that might be tough to overcome.

I agree. But. he's an idea man and another that would shape the debate. But, he's way to controversial and there are way too many sound clips of him saying things that would sink him. Way too much baggage.

Christie would be a fine choice, but I agree that he needs a little more seasoning for a 2016-20 run (and a diet - the fat jokes from the left will be merciless).

I see him in the VP slot.

Fat jokes? I thought the LEft was full of tolerant people that would never make fun of someone because of his weight.

I will tell you this, if the economy doesn't do better than this anemic 'recovery', Obama is done for. He owns this economy.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Superfly

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Quoting cws818 (Reply 8):

He's the neighboring district to where I lived when I lived in SoCal.
David Dreier is a nice guy and all but he would immediately be exposed as a closet homosexual. The far-right isn't going to like that. He is way too prim, proper & 'fabulous', unmarried with a high-paid male assistant that he shares a condo with in DC.

At this point, I do not think Pres. Obama is a big enough failure, to be beaten by any of the front-runners of the GOP.
If Sarah Palin or Mitt Romney get the GOP nomination, Pres. Obama will get 4 more years.
The GOP is foaming at the mouth to get Gov. Christy to run, but if he quits his term half way through, he falls in the same boat with Palin, for not having experience and quitting on his state before his term was completed. I do however think, that if he serves his term and gets re-elected, that he will be the GOP front-runner in 2016.

At this point, I think the only potential GOP that could challemge Pres, Obama is Donald Trump, and anyone that says he does not have a chance, is fooling themselves. The majority of voters, know nothing about politics, but they know who Donald Trump is, and many only vote on name recognition. How many uneducated voters do you think voted for GW Bush, just because his Dad was Pres. and he seemed like a nice guy? How many do you think would not vote for Jeb Bush, just because he is the brother of GW Bush, even though he may have made a good Pres? Then there are moderates like me, that are sick of all the cookie-cutter politicians, and all their BS promises, and are ready for a real change! Trump may not win, but at this point, I think he is the ONLY chance the GOP has at winning in 2012.

The real question is will the GOP tear itself apart, because of the Tea party, and let the Dems slip right past them, while they are bickering?

Well said.

Trump is an interesting choice - a proven executive with charisma and knows how the economy works. But he's said some pretty nutty things lately. Newt Gingrich is unquestionably the most knowledgeable candidate on either side - in a debate Gingrich would wipe the floor with Obama, but Gingrich has some baggage that might be tough to overcome.

Screw Newt Gingrich!
I respect Donald Trump more that Gingrich because Newt Gingrich pretends to be this holier than thou social conservative even though he is a total horn-dog like Donald Trump and Bill Clinton. At least Donald Trump's women are HOT and he doesn't try to conceal his attraction for hot babes. Also. Trump has spend his entire life in the private sector while Gingrich has been a partisan tool of the right-wing of his party.

Remember all the rehtoric whenever anyone would quesiton Bush? How, if anyone questioned him, they were terrorists, un-American and hated America?

Sure about that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6N8l8DMu3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdxFn8FfauU&feature=related

Replace "Romney" with "Obama" and it does sound like the right-wing....

Obama and Romney were separated at birth.
Still not sure where that birth occurred.   

the Dems will re-gain control of Congress and things will get done this time.

Not gonna happen.

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 19):
As a Tea Party member I am going to do everything in my power to ensure that Obama is out on his ass after one term. I fear that he may get re-elected because we have not come up with a strong candidate who could go up against him. People will vote for Obama just for the fact that he is black, and we need to find someone who can change their minds. Living in Atlanta I can fully back this statement up from hearing various radio and television interviews during the 2008 election. 2012 is going to be a nasty race.

Please do everything possible to get Donald Trump as your nominee. I'm a Black liberal Democrat totally disgusted with Obama and Donald Trump is the candidate that will attract voters like me to your side.
All of the other GOP establishment candidates is a reminder as to why we hate Republicans and hold our nose and vote for people like Obama.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):
I consider myself to be an Obama supporter, but with time my support is waning.

I feel your pain.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 21):
The big issue to me is that we need leadership from a President, but Obama isn't a leader, he's a Chicago-style behind-the-scenes deal maker. That's what his chief of staff should be doing, not him.

Coming Chicago area myself, I can testify to how corrupt their leaders & community organizers are.

I personally do not believe that Obama is going to win a second term. I believe the Republicans will win around 292 electoral votes, and possibly as many as 316 if New Hampshire and Pennsylvania go red. I do not believe that Wisconsin will be captured, as I believe the union protests in that state have soured the appeal of the Republican Party there.

Very good observation.
Governor Walker is a disgrace and has brought a lot of negative and necessary attention to one of the greatest states in the union. He has guaranteed the state's 10 electoral votes to Obama next year.

And I believe the next president of the United States is going to be either Mitt Romney or Donald Trump.

Gosh I hope it's Trump and NOT Romney!

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 32):
Jimmy Carter is hitting his knees everyday. He will soon be able to shake off the 'Worst President Ever' title.

The worst President ever was George W. Bush.
Bring back the Concorde

STT757

Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:47 pm

You have never lived in New Jersey have you? Also after her false reassurances to emergency responders working in Lower Manhattan as EPA director there is zero point zero chance of ever being able to hold public office ever again.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Mortyman

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 18):

What I ment was that she has apparently said that she is not interested

fr8mech

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):

History will show that he was the right person at the right time.

Please do everything possible to get Donald Trump as your nominee.

I really don't see his allure. He's pompous and bombastic. He speaks to hear himself speak.

If he's the nominee, I will vote for him, but I don't see him getting even close. He'll bow out 'ala Guiliani.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 31):
The county is not ready (nor will it ever be) for socialism.

You have no idea what socialism is if you think that's what he's promoting. Typical conservative talking point.

Just last night the Republican's handed Obama a huge defeat on the budget.

LOL wut? What on earth are you smoking? Last I checked, the Title X provisions were still in the budget. So because he signed off on spending cuts, it's a huge defeat? My God. Compromise as a bad thing. This is exactly what's wrong with American politics. The Republicans didn't "hand" him anything. He signed off on the bloody thing. He'd already threatened to veto one budget that he didn't like, so don't think for one second if it didn't meet his standards, he would not have vetoed another one.

Hurray partisanship! Compromise be damned!   

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

einsteinboricua

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:04 pm

The county is not ready (nor will it ever be) for socialism.

Here we go with the S-word again. Anything left of people is socialist.

Well, in the modern era. Historians agree that the title belongs to Warren G. Harding.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 36):

If by this you mean so that a Democrat can inherit a deficit and run it up in order to prevent a depression, two wars, and a recession, then yes. Otherwise, I fail to see how the two wars (mainly Iraq, because Afghanistan is a different story) were necessary there, or that Bush was the indicated person to preside the nation for the first 8 years of the century.

rfields5421

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Nothing but this matters

If people have jobs and feel they have a future - he gets reelected.

If people don't have jobs and feel they have no hope - he gets replaced.

Doesn't matter who the Republicans run against him.

JBirdAV8r

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:09 am

Quoting okie (Reply 30):
do not drink the Fukushima Water

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 39):
If people have jobs and feel they have a future - he gets reelected.If people don't have jobs and feel they have no hope - he gets replaced.

I'll add this:

If things remain where they are--with lots of uncertainty and mixed confidence--he'll scrape by and get re-elected.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Aloha717200

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:56 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 40):
If things remain where they are--with lots of uncertainty and mixed confidence--he'll scrape by and get re-elected.

No, he won't. When people are uncertain of a Democrat, they vote for the challenger.

Ken777

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:01 am

Quoting okie (Reply 30):
What in the world are you talking about, corporations love Obama. You have Soros ties, General Electric, 3 of the 4 largest banks, the auto manufacturers,

Not all, by any measure. The Government keeps GM from being totally closed and the execs immediately turned around and made their contributions to the Republicans. Financially supporting the party that wanted you dead is, I guess, the new way of life for Republicans.  
Quoting okie (Reply 30):
That box of corn flakes is going to cost you 9 bucks by the time Obama is done with you if you can afford 8 dollar a gallon gas to drive to the store to buy it.

Before prices hit that level the sales will be taking a huge hit. Corn flakes will be left on the shelf for something else.

And as the imported products shoot up in price their sales will also fall, making US production more attractive.

Basic point is that the international economies depend on the US market for one of the foundation markets. The more it heads south (in terms of affordability) the more problems the other economies will have.

So over time petrol will go up - sure. I can remember 30¢ gas and it is 10+ times that now. To slow down the inflation of gas prices there needs to be more incentives to buy fuel efficient cars & trucks and to invest more in improving home energy efficiency.

FINancial motivations are the fastest way of achieving significant improvements which is why I am disappointed in the loss of the 30% tax credit on improving your home. If we had kept pushing that then the next major energy crisis would be less painful and long term fuel costs would be lower. But we seem to have lost our ability to think long term.

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 41):
When people are uncertain of a Democrat, they vote for the challenger.

When people are uncertain of the President they vote in the challenger. Happened to Bush I, IIFC.

StarAC17

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 am

Yes, you did miss something! What has to change is Obama's philosophy. The county is not ready (nor will it ever be) for socialism.

The US is far more socialist that you perceive it is and when tough decision have to be made on what actually has to be cut, because things like foreign aid, the assault on planned parenthood, cuts to arts funding, and even the FAA add up to peanuts of the US federal budget.

When defense, social security, medicare/medicaid get cut which makes up a huge amount of the budget then you will see how people who have paid into these programs for decades feel about it, they won't be too happy and just take it.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 32):
I disagree. The birther movement is constantly being revived by the media in order to make Republicans and Conservatives look like loons. Trump is using it as a means to enter the debate.

To clarify myself birther was an example, but Trump will have to still appeal to the social conservatives to stand a chance in the primaries.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

cws818

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:06 am

Quoting cws818 (Reply 8):

He's the neighboring district to where I lived when I lived in SoCal.
David Dreier is a nice guy and all but he would immediately be exposed as a closet homosexual. The far-right isn't going to like that. He is way too prim, proper & 'fabulous', unmarried with a high-paid male assistant that he shares a condo with in DC.

His friendship with Maxine Waters probably wouldn't help in a Republican primary.

ual747den

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:36 am

Of course he will, I know this because I will be working hard to make sure he again takes Colorado!!!

I worked hard on his last campaign and am committed to doing this same for his re-election campaign so of course he will win, I never lose!

For all of those sane people on here who cannot even imagine the thought of the Republicans taking over the White House again may I suggest that you get out and volunteer for the Obama campaign? There are many different opportunities to volunteer your time and whatever your skill set may be you can be sure that the campaign can use it! Many people think that they don't really bring a lot to the table but in reality you do and we need your help. The DNC has been working hard to make it easy for all types of people to volunteer, the new virtual phone bank can even allow you to reach out to voters while you sit at home watching TV or while you make that long commute to or from work. Just get a handsfree ear piece or bluetooth and you can reach out to voters while you live your life!!!!

Seriously, take a few seconds out of your busy life and volunteer to make America a better place for your and your family! After we win the election it's an amazing feeling knowing you helped to make that happen, and I'm not just talking about the campaign parties!!!!

O-B-A-M-A!!!!!!!
/// UNITED AIRLINES

Superfly

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:44 am

Hardly.
I still maintain that Al Gore would have been a better President than Dubya, despite his global warming scam. The Republican controlled Congress at that time would have exposed that lie and called Gore out on the floor and that one. More importantly, we wouldn't have gone to Iraq and lost so many lives, money and damaged our credibility world wide as Dubya & Co.

I really don't see his allure. He's pompous and bombastic.

I can be bombastic at times.  
Quoting cws818 (Reply 44):
His friendship with Maxine Waters probably wouldn't help in a Republican primary.

They go shopping and to Patti LaBelle concerts together.
Bring back the Concorde

baroque

Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 am

A summary of why he was elected and why the T party later had success together with much more in Tariq Ali at

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bigideas/stories/2011/3186352.htm
With a slogan of 'Change We Can Believe In', a chant of 'Yes We Can' and an iconic poster of 'Hope', Barack Obama was elected 44th president of the United States of America on 4 November 2008. He received more votes than any other presidential candidate in history and is the first African-American to hold the office.

His election victory was euphorically celebrated around the world but nearly four years later just how much Change has there been?

This was recorded at the Perth Writers' Festival

Guests

Tariq Ali
Writer, commentator, and historian. He has written more than two dozen books on world history and politics, and seven novels (translated into over a dozen languages) as well as scripts for the stage and screen. He is an occasional broadcaster on BBC radio, writes regularly for The Guardian and the London Review of Books and is a longstanding editor of the New Left Review

Summary of a number of issues such as how the Health bill ended up in such a mess.
The press and TV, the lack of Al Jazeera in most of the US outside the White House - nice comment about freedom of expression there!
Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee Politics
Role of independents
The US and Israel v the Palestinians.
The US asleep at the wheel of changes in ME politics

No transcript but you can listen to the podcast from the above link. Lack of transcript and no download (unusual for the ABC) might be because of:
Publications

Title: The Obama Syndrome: Surrender at Home, War Abroad
Author: Tariq Ali
Publisher: Verso Books
ISBN 978 1 844 674 497

So if you dont want to afford the book, you get a close to one hour summary at the link given.

connies4ever

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 42):
Basic point is that the international economies depend on the US market for one of the foundation markets. The more it heads south (in terms of affordability) the more problems the other economies will have.

So over time petrol will go up - sure. I can remember 30¢ gas and it is 10+ times that now. To slow down the inflation of gas prices there needs to be more incentives to buy fuel efficient cars & trucks and to invest more in improving home energy efficiency.

FINancial motivations are the fastest way of achieving significant improvements which is why I am disappointed in the loss of the 30% tax credit on improving your home. If we had kept pushing that then the next major energy crisis would be less painful and long term fuel costs would be lower. But we seem to have lost our ability to think long term.

Generally agree with the above, Ken777. As a support for 1st idea, note that China does want to dump American debt (at least massively) due to its' negative affect on the greenback and thus Americans' ability to purchase cheap Chinese goods at Walmart.

Gasoline is already > $5/gallon equivalent in Canada. Last week the national average was about $1.33/litre, which comes out to about $5.50 when you convert to US gallons and also factor in the fact that our dollar is now trading at about 5% above the greenback.

Energy-based home improvements are a very effective way of both:
a) reducing energy consumption and therefore helping to insulate the US from energy price shock (and reduce balance of trade deficits);, and
b) are a very 'shovel ready' jobs program

The Conservative government had such a program in Canada in FY2009 and I took advantage of it to re-insulate and re-shingle the roof, plus install a new ceramic kitchen floor. So for about $6k in spending I earned about a $1,500 tax credit. The hardest part of the thing was finding the local trades able to do the work, as almost all were busy (for a change). Unfortunately the program only lasted one year.

einsteinboricua

Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:35 pm

Quoting okie (Reply 30):
That box of corn flakes is going to cost you 9 bucks by the time Obama is done with you if you can afford 8 dollar a gallon gas to drive to the store to buy it.

A little off topic, but adds to the discussion nonetheless. Notice the bold marks. I love how people don't want to invest in renewable sources because:
1. Oil is not going to be depleted anytime soon.
2. We still have reserves.
3. It's a lie that after peak oil is reached prices will shoot. And since we'll be dead by then, we don't have to invest in green technology.

Yet, I read the bold marks and laugh. So because Obama might be reelected in 2012, gas prices will shoot up to $8/gallon, but yet no one will buy a hybrid vehicle and complain whenever Obama mentions renewable energy sources.