fraspotter

Who's A Fan Of Buffalo Wings?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Seeing a previous thread on spicy/hot foods, it got me thinking about possibly one of my favorite party foods of all time. BUFFALO WINGS! For those of us here that are fans, do you have a preferred flavor? Where do you get your favorites? Do you make them yourselves? Please share.

For me it would have to be the wings at Papa Johns Pizza. yeah I know I may get flack for this but they are always so juicy (not dry) and are usually smothered in possibly one of the best wings sauces that isn't home made. The skin just peels off and there is always so much chicken. I've had the wings at Wing Stop, Wings n' More and Buffalo Wild Wings but they're either extremely dry, have little meat on them or their skin is rock hard/over cooked. As far as flavors I always stick with the original. I've tried some of their others but was never a fan.
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

sw733

RE: Who's A Fan Of Buffalo Wings?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm

I absolutely love wings...the spicier the better! However, I don't eat them very often because they are so darn unhealthy  

There is a local restaurant by my house that makes the best I have ever had...always big, moist and their hot sauce is ridiculous! Thus the name - "nuclear sauce"

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:29 pm

Hell yes! Buffalo wings are awesome - I'm always on the lookout for a new place to try.

Personally, I prefer boneless wings (or strips, or whatever you want to call them). There's a place called The Slice near my apartment that has great boneless buffalo wings. There is/was a place in East Providence, RI called Wings & Things or Wing Stop (I forget which) that has awesome boneless buffalo-garlic chunks.

Oddly enough, the Cheesecake Factory has great buffalo strips. Chili's has decent ones.

Buffalo strips + blue cheese = awesome.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

desertjets

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Thread starter):
For me it would have to be the wings at Papa Johns Pizza. yeah I know I may get flack for this

You will, but I've found that their wings are nothing if consistent. Decent sized (I hate it when you get wings that look like they came off of a parrot), properly cooked, and generally well sauced. On the other hand Domino's new wings are pretty bad. While I don't mind breaded wings, they are the norm in many spots in central New York, these were bad. Soggy too thick breading and bad sauces.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

rabenschlag

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 pm

Although I'm a noob when it comes to Buffalo wings, I can infer that they are not buffalo wings as buffalos have no wings. So it is chicken, I suppose, but why the weird misnoma? Can someone with a modicum of cultural knowledge explain?

Mir

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 4):
So it is chicken, I suppose, but why the weird misnoma? Can someone with a modicum of cultural knowledge explain?

They are indeed chicken wings that come with a sauce called buffalo sauce, named after the city of Buffalo, NY where the recipe was supposedly created.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_sauce

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LFutia

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Me Me Me Me I do I do I do I do! lol I could eat them all day long and give me a beer. I'm happier than your pet rock!

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

DeltaMD90

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:40 pm

As a son of a Buffalonian mother and father, YES! Runs in my family  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

PPVRA

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 1):
I absolutely love wings...the spicier the better! However, I don't eat them very often because they are so darn unhealthy

On the same boat. . .
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

desertjets

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I have been to the Anchor Bar once in my life, the original one on Main in Buffalo, but I didn't order the wings.

While I do like the old stand-by of wings in a buffalo sauce... every now and then the fried chicken wings from a Chinese restaurant taste like the greatest thing in the world.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

DocLightning

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 pm

I mean, who doesn't?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Fly2HMO

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 pm

I like the food, but only the spicy stuff and not that crap in honey BBQ horse manure.

As for the restaurant otherwise known as Buffalo Wild Wings, burn them, burn them all!!! F'ing disgusting, they can't even get a flippin burger right (who the hell f's up a burger!?!?), service is always terrible and their wings are mediocre at best. Their sauces aren't too bad though I'll give them that. And I've reluctantly gone to several of their locations, on both coasts.

n6238p

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:45 am

One of my favorite wings comes from the trashier version of Hooters known as Show-me's which can be found in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Missouri. Their hot wing taste like a stick of butter and I've found whole slices of jalapeno in the sauce for spicy barbecue. Not to mention every day $1.50 Keystone Light drafts.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Jetsgo

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 am

I LOVE BUFFALO WINGS!!!

There is a place here in town called Crazy Weiners I've been trying to get Adam on Man vs Food to check out. I've never ever had a problem with spicy food. You put it in front of me and I'll take it, no problem. This place however, I ate two of their wings and I was dying. It took pretty much the entire afternoon to fully get over it. Then, that night when I was taking my contacts out, despite washing my hands, some of the residue got into my eyes, and it was definitely on par with pepper spray. Anyway, this place has a challenge...15 wings in 30 minutes and you get a picture on the wall, tshirt, and $25 bar tab. I usually get one or two of these wings whenever I go in there along with my regular order.

Quoting FRAspotter (Thread starter):
For me it would have to be the wings at Papa Johns Pizza.

While not my favorite, they are at least good enough to order along side a pizza.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 1):
so darn unhealthy

I hate that I'm actually starting to reach this point in my life where I have to watch my diet.  
Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
Chili's has decent ones.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
Wing Stop

We have one here in town, I like them. I like that I can actually place my order online so they are ready when I arrive. Otherwise, if you order in person this place is pretty slow.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):
(who the hell f's up a burger!?!?

Who the hell orders a burger at Buffalo Wild Wings?  

[Edited 2011-04-25 18:50:12]
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

KirkSeattle

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:06 am

Yum Yum Yum! I love wings too !   

There's a small chain in Seattle called Wing Dome (after our old stadium, King Dome). They have a great menu of wings with a choice of how hot you wan them 1-6 or, if you dare, 7. yikes! I'm more of a 4 kind of guy. But they also make flavored wings.

http://www.thewingdome.com/uploads/WING%20CARD1.pdf

I also enjoy making them on my own. Costco has a good selection of wings ( you need to cut them with a good knife...my Wusthof set works great). I also found a great recipe from Alton Brown from the Food Network. He recommends steaming the wings for like 20 minutes, then placing them on a rack in the fridge for an hour. This allows the fat to drip off and you can easily wipe off any excess. It's great because less smoke in the kitchen. Bake them for like 45 minutes and then I toss them in the sauce (Tabasco and butter). Mmmmmmmmm.

Cheers,
Kirk

ArmitageShanks

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:19 am

I can't stand Buffalo sauce but put BBQ sauce or any of the other myriad of flavors on them and its in my top three foods for sure.

Hooters wings + ranch + beer is epic. I always feel so bad after, though.

bookishaviator

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 am

I absolutely love Buffalo Wings! Decent ones are hard to come by over here - as a result, I tend to overdose on the things whenever I travel to the States. Of course, I could just make them myself...
When I die, when I die, I'll rot. But when I live, when I live, I'll give it all I've got.

bananaboy

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:36 am

I'm not particularly keen on chicken wings, but love Chili's Boneless Buffalo Wings. Very very nice. I was very disappointed when the company who ran Chili's in the UK went under - they had a restaurant in my home town.

Haven't found them much over here yet, so they remain a treat to be looked forward to when I travel to the US.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

mirrodie

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:53 am

Love the wings. Buff Wing Wings, not good. Hooters is good once in a while.

Got some great hole in the wall places for wings. But as hot as we love them, they suck without blue cheese sauce!

And that boneless crap is for tarts.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

AF340

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 am

Duff's Wings. Nuff said. In Upper NY State and Toronto.

I like 'em hot, not too swimming, with extra drumlets.

DocLightning

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:09 am

I like the food, but only the spicy stuff and not that crap in honey BBQ horse manure.

Hey, it's DELICIOUS horse manure!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N243NW

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 am

Quoting armitageshanks (Reply 15):
I can't stand Buffalo sauce but put BBQ sauce or any of the other myriad of flavors on them and its in my top three foods for sure.

Same boat here. I hate the mere smell of buffalo sauce, but slather some sweet BBQ sauce on just about anything and I'll eat it.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

Maverick623

Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 am

Buffalo Wild Wings

I honestly don't know why people go there for wings. Even on "wing night", they're more expensive than most others, they charge for ranch and celery, and the sauces leave something to be desired.

Their sauces aren't too bad though I'll give them that

Well, that's only because they have so gorram many that they had to get a few right. Half of those sauces/seasonings don't even belong near chicken, let alone a chicken wing.

I'll stick to Zipps, Native New Yorker, and Doc&Eddies. They're cheap and oh-so-good. Especially with a Kilt Lifter... Tempe actually produces decent stuff I guess.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

sw733

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

but only the spicy stuff

Indeed

Their sauces aren't too bad though I'll give them that.

I agree. I like to actually buy the sauce and make my wings at home if I have a house party or gathering of some kind.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 13):

I hate that I'm actually starting to reach this point in my life where I have to watch my diet.

Me too. My freshman year of college, they had 20 cent wings on Monday's at Buffalo Wild Wings, and my friends and I went EVERY week (despite the mediocrity...come on, what freshman in college is going to pass up a dozen wings for $2.40?). Now, I only eat them like twice a year, and feel guilty about it with each bite. FML...

fxramper

Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:58 pm

The local pizza place Mr. Gattis makes a Buffalo Chicken pizza.   

Molykote

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:55 pm

I have no shame in admitting that I absolutely love chicken wings. The flavor and texture of a crisply (at least on the outside) fried, sometimes grilled, wing rivals just about anything else around for me.

A college room mate of mine was from Buffalo, so I've been to all of the famous joints in Buffalo, NY. I'd still say that Pittsburgh, PA is the best "wing town" I've been to.

As for flavors, I've come to like a hot bbq more than the straight "buffalo" style based on a "red hot" type sauce, though I've had many great wing flavors. The cardinal wing sin in my book is a wing that's no crisp enough and is a bit "fleshy" in texture.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

P3Orion

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Nothing's better than an order of wings and a pitcher of Yuengling while eating at the Hotel in Edinboro, PA.

Tonight, I'll be enjoying some wings at Buffalo Wild Wings watching the 'Hawks play Vancouver in game 7. I like their Wild as well as their Spicy Garlic "extra wet."
I will have a Manhattan.

doug_or

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 13):
Who the hell orders a burger at Buffalo Wild Wings?

People tired of getting an overpriced boat full of dry little chicken floor scraps?

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 26):
I like their Wild as well as their Spicy Garlic "extra wet."

This. This is the only reason to go there.

There is a really great place in PDX called Fire on the Mountain, but they are a little pricey. Rotating sets of sauces that you can sample before you buy and like any self respecting wing specialty place, they have a rather serious nuclear option.
When in doubt, one B pump off

bhill

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:51 pm

3 Dollar Cafe in GA...Dunwoody....yummm
Carpe Pices

Jetsgo

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 27):
People tired of getting an overpriced boat full of dry little chicken floor scraps?

Then why continue to go there? Their wings aren't the best, but I wouldn't go there for a burger. That's just me though.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

stasisLAX

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 22):
Native New Yorker,

Absolutely agree. I have a Buffalo wings addiction, and go to the Native New Yorker on Camelback Road here in central PHX at least once a week!   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

tz757300

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 am

There is this place in Morgantown, WV called Keglers that has by far the best wings I've ever had, which are super plump, juicy, and most importantly CRISPY. They have this sauce that is a combination of mild and a bunch of herbs that is down right delicious.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

EDICHC

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 am

If buffalo have wings I hope one isn't flying over me when it decides to have a crap!  
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Go3Team

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I love me some wings. First had them at a place called Awful Authors on the Outer Banks that really burned my mouth. I have loved them ever since. I have since gone away from the real spicy stuff to flavors like Jamaican Jerk, or Spicy Garlic. A Mexican place close by has some of the best consistent hot wings around. Dip them in their white sauce and it is delicious. A place recently opened up called Quaker Steak. They have some nice meaty wings with a good selection of sauces, but the atmosphere there turns me off.
Yay Pudding!

Mike89406

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 am

I love hot wings. I like Cluck U wings where I got the Nuclear wings & Wingstop where they have some really good qaulity wings my favorite is the Cajun wings which are the 2nd hottest next to the Atomic wings with Habenero sauce.

http://www.cluckuchicken.com/default.aspx
http://wingstop.com/

Regards, Mike

DocLightning

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:04 am

To be honest, here's my problem with chicken wings: they're 40% bone, 40% skin, 10% sauce, 10% meat.

I'm pretty careful about my diet, so Wings are a rare and decadent treat for me. If they're going to be on my "coupla times a year" list, I don't want to have my enjoyment of them ruined by the fact that I can't eat them neatly. No, you have to be gross and rip and tear and bear your teeth and have sauce all over your face like some demented kindergart

Same preparation used on chicken nuggets would make me much happier.

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 32):
If buffalo have wings I hope one isn't flying over me when it decides to have a crap!

YO, dude, run to the right NOW!!... ugh... too late.  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

fraspotter

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:43 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
, I don't want to have my enjoyment of them ruined by the fact that I can't eat them neatly.

That's why they're usually not on the menus at 5 star restaurants. Also, don't eat them when you go to dinner with a date...   That can only end in disaster... In my case it's something that is usually eaten among guy friends while watching Monday Night Football! 
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

F9Animal

Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
On the other hand Domino's new wings are pretty bad.

Oh yeah, I decided to give them a try. YUCK!!! They were baked, and soggy. Not good at all.

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 9):
I have been to the Anchor Bar once in my life, the original one on Main in Buffalo, but I didn't order the wings.

As a child living in Buffalo, I went to the Anchor Bar many times. YUM! Best wings ever!

Quoting Kirkseattle (Reply 14):
There's a small chain in Seattle called Wing Dome (after our old stadium, King Dome). They have a great menu of wings with a choice of how hot you wan them 1-6 or, if you dare, 7. yikes! I'm more of a 4 kind of guy. But they also make flavored wings.

Oh yeah, been to the Wing Dome many times. I tried their 7 Alarm challenge, and got my ass kicked. It is by far insane, and very very hot.

I love their level 5 wings. And their Garlic Parmesan is also yummy.

There is a place in Federal Way called Billy McHales. They have wings. They are huge, juicy, and EXCELLENT. I have searched high and low in the Seattle area for some decent wings, and Billy's has some of the best. Wing Dome comes second. And believe it or not, I like Pizza Hutt's Wingstreet wings. Oh yeah, they are pretty darned good! And trailing near last comes Hooters. They are good, but overpriced.

Try Billy's if you get into the Federal Way area. On 320th, across from the Commons mall. I promise you, you will like them!
I Am A Different Animal!!

shamrock604

Tue May 03, 2011 4:06 am

I make it my business to try the wings pretty much everywhere I eat in the world.... so I consider myself quite the authority on the subject!  

My recommendation is the "Elephant and Castle Restaurant", Fleet Street, Temple Bar in Dublin, Ireland.

Hard to beat...... anywhere!

Stabilator

Tue May 03, 2011 6:37 am

Looooove wings. And I love boneless (I swin both ways). I love BWW...the ones I've been to have always had huge pieces and were always juicy. That being said, my favorite wings come from a place called Joe Sensors and Champps American Grill. Fried, juicy, and both of their sauces pack the perfect hot/flavor combo. An honorable mention goes out to Chilis boneless wings, they are quite good (ask for extra sauce).

As a college kid, I'm ashamed to say I've never entered a Hooters establishment. Perhaps I'll go to the one in Mall of America when I return home in a few weeks.

Are any of you blue cheese/ ranch fans? Personally I love blue cheese...seems to go better with the buffalo sauce. Also perfect for dipping fries.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

CHRISBA777ER

Tue May 03, 2011 12:53 pm

I'm a huge chicken wings fan - the hotter the better. Anyone know any wing challenges to do in London?
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

Aloha717200

Tue May 03, 2011 4:54 pm

I am a hot sauce addict, and Buffalo Sauce is certainly my favourite. (A close second would be Tapatio Hot Sauce)

I like my wings Boneless, and I've tried the buffalo wings available from every restaurant in town. We even have a couple restaurants that specialize in hot wings.

In Salt Lake City, I love the Buffalo Chicken Pizza from Big Daddy's, holy hell, that's the best pizza I've ever had in my life. I keep six jars of various types of hot sauce in my cupboard, one of which is Frank's RedHot Wngs Buffalo sauce. I always replace it before it runs empty.

I like to cook at home so that particular bottle gets used frequently if I cook my own chicken or pizza.

Aloha717200

Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 18):
And that boneless crap is for tarts.
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):

To be honest, here's my problem with chicken wings: they're 40% bone, 40% skin, 10% sauce, 10% meat.

This. This is why I go for Boneless. I get far more meat, much crispier, they don't seem as greasy, and far fewer encounters with cartilage or that "black" disgusting meat that tastes like garbage. Boneless just tastes better and is far more filling for your money.

[Edited 2011-05-03 10:00:52]

shamrock604

Tue May 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Quoting Stabilator (Reply 39):
Are any of you blue cheese/ ranch fans? Personally I love blue cheese...seems to go better with the buffalo sauce. Also perfect for dipping fries.

Cant have wings without it!!!  

YVRLTN

Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 am

Quoting P3Orion (Reply 26):
watching the 'Hawks play Vancouver in game 7

Hope you enjoyed that...  

Very early convert upon moving here. My first experience was in some joint near YYZ and the ones they said were 'mild' almost blew my tongue off, but now I like them hotter the better. Unfortunately, I do suffer from heartburn, so particularly as they are normally consumed with beer, whith the alcohol the spice is a bad combination, so I have been know to go for the BBQ or honey garlic in recent times - particularly during play offs when this is an every other day occurence.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 43):
Quoting Stabilator (Reply 39):

Cant have wings without it!!!

Plus 1.

I have to say where I like them best is at a Canadian chain called Earls. I havent found (or really looked for to be honest...) any dedicated wings places here in YVR.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

KirkSeattle

Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 37):
There is a place in Federal Way called Billy McHales. They have wings. They are huge, juicy, and EXCELLENT. I have searched high and low in the Seattle area for some decent wings, and Billy's has some of the best

I can travel for good wings! Thanks for the recommendation!

Cheers!

KirkSeattle