EricAY05
Topic Author

Tennis - Outdoors Vs. Indoors

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Two players hit a tennis ball over the net indoors and then move outside and do the same thing on an court with exactly the same surface as the indoor court. It is a very calm day with no wind at all. The players don't change anything in their hitting.

In theory the ball should fly with exactly the same speed and trajectory outdoors as indoors. In practise though, the game is always slower outdoors. Can this be attributed to the fact that there is always at least a very small wind (air moving)outside, or is there some other explanation to this?

luckyone

RE: Tennis - Outdoors Vs. Indoors

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Couple factors
- an object will always look like it's moving faster in an enclosed space
- the noise is louder in an indoor court, especially smaller spaces, the noise slows your reaction
- Court speed -- indoor courts for one reason or another are almost always faster than outdoor courts, slicker, lower bounce

David L

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Quoting EricAY05 (Thread starter):
In practise though, the game is always slower outdoors.

Before I put my brain into Hurt Mode and start trying to think about temperature and humidity, etc, I'd quite like to hear what you're basing this claim on... just in case  

EricAY05
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 am

Quoting David L (Reply 2):

Playing thousands of hours of tennis on a semi-professional level and watching dozens of professional women's matches from courtside all around the world (different climates, temperatures...). Also, most players and coaches seem to be of this opinion 

This is not entirely related to my first post, but shouldn't hard outdoor courts be on an average faster than indoor courts? Not talking about clay and carpet courts here. One would imagine that exposure to rain, dust, wind, etc. would polish up the surface much more quickly compared to the same surface indoors.

aa61hvy

Sun May 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Quoting EricAY05 (Reply 3):
One would imagine that exposure to rain, dust, wind, etc. would polish up the surface much more quickly compared to the same surface indoors.

I could see that, but I'm sure the outdoor courts are maintained pretty well, especially at clubs and higher end places.
Go big or go home

EricAY05
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 4):

I agree. I've noticed especially in the USA that the outdoor courts of nicer clubs feel coarse and freshly-painted most of the time. Wears down your shoes unbelievably quickly!