EA CO AS
Topic Author

"Whale Wars" / Sea Shepherd

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:00 pm

I happened to see parts of the "Whale Wars" series last night. Interesting group.

While I don't agree with commercial whaling either, I have to admit that this group's tactics seem...well...shady.

What do you guys think? Heroes or misguided do-gooders?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

kingairta

RE: "Whale Wars" / Sea Shepherd

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Having watched all the seasons. They are idiots. No one knows what they are doing and it really amazes me they haven't killed anyone yet.

Personally I view them as pirates. Protesting is fine but throwing projectiles and boarding vessels is in the realm of piracy.

take a little gander here.
http://seashepherdlies.com/

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Thread starter):
While I don't agree with commercial whaling either, I have to admit that this group's tactics seem...well...shady.

How? They are trying to stop the slaugther of whales since Austrailia won't enforce the law. What is shady? They use donations and volunteers to try to stop whaling. I just wish they would get more aggressive and sink one of the Japanese boats. What the Japanese vessels are doing is disgusting.

[Edited 2011-06-04 12:15:38]
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

thomfly757

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:20 pm

The Japanese whaling fleet says they are catching whales for "research", but to say they need 50 humpback whales per season for this is also "shady". And these 50 whales are only humpbacks, they are catching hundereds of other types of whale. To my knowledge that is against regulations...    Love the show aswell  
Yes I Can.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting thomfly757 (Reply 3):
The Japanese whaling fleet says they are catching whales for "research", but to say they need 50 humpback whales per season for this is also "shady". And these 50 whales are only humpbacks, they are catching hundereds of other types of whale. To my knowledge that is against regulations... Love the show aswell

Yep they slaughter the Minke whale too. Research my rear end it's a smoke screen and the whole country of Japan should be ashamed about this behavior. I am glad someone is doing something. Like I said I justs hope they ramp it up in fact as things progress it will escalate till someone is hurt of killed and a vessel goes down.

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:30 pm

Heroes or misguided do-gooders?

Neither they are terrorist and how they have survived without being arrested as terrorists is beyond me. The Japanese should send warships with their Whaling fleet to protect it.

To my knowledge that is against regulations

Whose regulations?

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 2):
since Austrailia won't enforce the law

They are in International waters far from Australia.

speedygonzales

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

They are a bunch of clueless amateurs that make OK entertainment by making complete fools of themselves. Calling them pirates is giving them way too much credit.

I support whaling as long as it's sustainable, but the Japanese aren't fooling anyone by the research banner. They should call a spade a spade and say it's commercial. Minke whale is absolutely deliciuos. You should try it some time.
Las Malvinas son Argentinas

thomfly757

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 5):
Whose regulations?

This should help you...
http://www.seashepherd.org/who-we-are/laws-and-charters.html

[Edited 2011-06-04 12:35:32]
Yes I Can.

DiamondFlyer

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't like the whole whaling thing the Japanese do, but to basically be a rag-tag group of pirates chasing them around is the wrong thing to do, IMO.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:39 pm

The one thing that many do not realise though is that Japan has called off Whaling for now becausee the infrastructure was wiped out by the tsunami. The tsunami did what years of Sea Shephard could not do. It is doubtful that Japan will spend the money to rebuld this industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/world/asia/25whale.html?_r=1

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/japan-...aling/story-e6frea6u-1226007220054

[Edited 2011-06-04 12:43:16]

Fly2HMO

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm

These are eco-terrorists, plain and simple. If they ever get shot or severely injured I won't feel one bit of sympathy for them.

babybus

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm

I think they do a splendid job. I do wish they would change their logo though. It looks a bit aggressive.

It's amazing how many people remain silent while innocent animals are slaughtered. Life is life. History has other sad references to silent slaughter.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Whose regulations?

The IWC. Which banned whaling in 1986.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7188674.stm

Quote:
I support whaling as long as it's sustainable

So you support exterminating a species or bringing it to the threat of? I have to say I am a little shocked. I value life a bit more I guess.

[Edited 2011-06-04 12:47:50]

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:47 pm

How? They are trying to stop the slaugther of whales since Austrailia won't enforce the law. What is shady?

Intentionally colliding your vessel with other ships doesn't strike you as being shady?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

thomfly757

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 11):

Completely agree with you there!   
Yes I Can.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 9):
The one thing that many do not realise though is that Japan has called off Whaling for now becausee the infrastructure was wiped out by the tsunami

No I am well aware of this.

The tsunami did what years of Sea Shephard could not do.

No it did it quicker, given time and it will happen since Japan will resume whaling the Sea Shepherd will go to an extreme to protect whales from slaughter.

It is doubtful that Japan will spend the money to rebuld this industry.

Huh? It's too lucrative it will return.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
Intentionally colliding your vessel with other ships doesn't strike you as being shady?

I think you should look up the word "shady" These people are not putting themselves in harms way for any sort of angle or personal gain. They are tyring to protect a species from being illegally slaughtered. I don't call that shady I call that brave and inspirational.

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:55 pm

They are still within the regualtions

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 12):
Whose regulations?

The IWC. Which banned whaling in 1986.

It cannot be a whaling commission if it bans whaling. That would be the anti-whaling commission. Did the US follow the Kyoto treaty ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-paci...4.stm

You do realise that they are whaling no where near Australia. That this is a mythical sanctuary..How about if some world commission claims the whole Gulf of Mexico as a Grouper sanctuary. Or the Grand Banks are made a Cod sanctuary? Sorry it is International waters.

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 15):
I think you should look up the word "shady" These people are not putting themselves in harms way for any sort of angle or personal gain. They are tyring to protect a species from being illegally slaughtered. I don't call that shady I call that brave and inspirational

By endangering the lives of the Japanese Fisherman they are terrorist.

Quotas are the way to go. Let them catch what their country uses but not to sell internationally.

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:03 pm

It's amazing how many people remain silent while innocent animals are slaughtered. Life is life. History has other sad references to silent slaughter

Sorry but we are at the top of the food chain. Sustainable harvesting can be done.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 15):
These people are not putting themselves in harms way for any sort of angle or personal gain.

If you asked Hamas or any other organization that supports strapping explosives to a person to blow up other people, they'd tell you the same thing.

Fact of the matter is they're intentionally endangering human lives - others' lives, not just their own - to achieve their ends.

No matter how noble their agenda, their methods are criminal. And they're lucky the Japanese haven't used weapons in self-defense.

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Quoting windy95 (Reply 17):

No terrorists kill innocent people as a way to gain money or ideology. These fisherman are breaking the law and could care less if they exterminate a species of mammal as long as they make on a food considered a delicacy. If one of their ships goes down they more than deserve it.

Quotas are the way to go. Let them catch what their country uses but not to sell internationally.

Hmm it's becoming obvious you don't know about the Japanese whaling operation. If this was the case I would agree but sadly it is not. I don't want any species endangered. That includes whales.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 18):
Sorry but we are at the top of the food chain. Sustainable harvesting can be done.

Again there is no such thing. Japan would just kill to there was none left. That can not and will not happen.

AF340

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:43 pm

They are white liberal pirates plain and simple. At least the Somalians are doing it to better their lives (although I am not condoning piracy).

It's amazing how many people remain silent while innocent animals are slaughtered. Life is life. History has other sad references to silent slaughter.

So you're a vegetarian, eh?

And no, all life is not equal. Human life is more important than animal life, at least that is how it is viewed in all sensible societies. "History has other sad references to silent slaughter" -- Seriously? Are you actually trying to compare whaling to the Holocaust or other human genocides? Shame on you.

So you support exterminating a species or bringing it to the threat of? I have to say I am a little shocked. I value life a bit more I guess.

Minke whale is in the 'Least Concerned' category of the International Union for Conservation of Nature ranking system. Their numbers are, at the very least according to IWC reports, around the 400,000 mark - although they have requested scientific studies be done in the Southern Hemisphere to determine precise numbers.

Whales are animals, while they may seem cute or harmless to some the fact is they are NOT human. Once their numbers are stable (and the Minke whales stocks are, arguably, fit for commercial hunting) why shouldn't we hunt them?

Do we want to endanger whale stocks, no, but don't tell me I can't enjoy a delicacy of my and many other countries because you think whales are your friends -- they aren't, they are wild animals.

bill142

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Little more than Eco-terrorists. These guys are the al qaeda of the seas. That's not to say that I don't agree with what they're fighting for, I just don't agree with their methods.

Springbok747

Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 pm

They are eco-terrorist turds. These idiots don't seem to have anything better to do than harass ships in international waters.

We (humans) are at the top of the food chain..that's how it works.

Now...off to enjoy my tasty chicken sandwich...mmmm   
אני תומך בישראל

Maverick623

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:45 pm

They're as brainwashed and dangerous as any fundamentalist religious sect, because they are a fundamentalist religious sect. They're also a bunch of morons who have no business driving a boat on the high seas, let alone conducting pirate-like operations.

How? They are trying to stop the slaugther of whales since Austrailia won't enforce the law.

THERE IS NO LAW. Australia has no jurisdiction over non-pirate activities conducted in international waters.

In fact, Australia would be justified in taking out these dumbasses. Throwing acid and boarding a vessel are the only illegal (and dangerous) activities being conducted.

It's amazing how many people remain silent while innocent animals are slaughtered.

That's because I'm too busy chewing my steak. After all, it's not nice to talk with your mouth full  

Seriously: Humans are omnivorous animals that dominate the food chain. Get over it.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):

No terrorists kill innocent people as a way to gain money or ideology. These fisherman are breaking the law and could care less if they exterminate a species of mammal as long as they make on a food considered a delicacy. If one of their ships goes down they more than deserve it

They attempt to harm or even kill the fisherman with their methods for their ideology. They are terrorists.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):
Quoting windy95 (Reply 18):

Again there is no such thing. Japan would just kill to there was none left. That can not and will not happen

There is no such thing as sustainable harvesting?

Quoting AF340 (Reply 21):
Do we want to endanger whale stocks, no, but don't tell me I can't enjoy a delicacy of my and many other countries because you think whales are your friends -- they aren't, they are wild animals

With all the different cultures why is it people feel they need to change what others have done for centuries when it comes to customs and food..

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 pm

At least the Somalians are doing it to better their lives (although I am not condoning piracy).

Hmmm Sure sounds like it.

Minke whale is in the 'Least Concerned' category of the International Union for Conservation of Nature ranking system. Their numbers are, at the very least according to IWC reports, around the 400,000 mark - although they have requested scientific studies be done in the Southern Hemisphere to determine precise numbers.

They hunt Fins too and they are endangered. Not to mention if this isn't addressed now Minke #s will suffer and then go away. They are not going to observe any quotas or stop when the numbers get dangerous. If you think they will you are being naive.

Do we want to endanger whale stocks, no, but don't tell me I can't enjoy a delicacy of my and many other countries because you think whales are your friends -- they aren't, they are wild animals.

It's a luxury for me to wear Fur too but I don't feel the need to simply because I can.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 25):
They attempt to harm or even kill the fisherman with their methods for their ideology. They are terrorists

Well their ideology is actually enforcing a moratorium that is being ignored by the Japanese. If someone is hurt or dies oh well. They may get an idea how it feels to get a big spear shot through their body and dragged aboard a boat.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 25):
There is no such thing as sustainable harvesting?

You are going to have to define that, are you telling me they are going to only take a few whales and then stop every year? I just don't see it. In fact if the people stop fighting I only see more boats and more killing.

windy95

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 26):
Well their ideology is actually enforcing a moratorium that is being ignored by the Japanese.

Did you support the Kyoto treaty? Do you think the US should be handcuffed by every "world" moratorium?

You are going to have to define that, are you telling me they are going to only take a few whales and then stop every year? I just don't see it. In fact if the people stop fighting I only see more boats and more killing

You can take more than a few every year from a 400,000 plus stock. But yes I bet an agreement could be made. A ration card of sorts to keep a limit.

BMI727

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Well their ideology is actually enforcing a moratorium that is being ignored by the Japanese

Japan, as a sovereign state, can ignore or heed whatever moratoriums they wish, end of story. If other nations have a problem with it, there are actions they can take like talk about it, sanctions, or war.

But these Sea Shepherd clowns, are at best misguided vigilantes and at worst terrorists. Frankly, they are lucky that the Japanese haven't blown them away yet. Whether they would be within their rights to do so might be a matter for debate, but they would certainly be closer to legitimate than the ecotards.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Aaron747

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
Research my rear end it's a smoke screen and the whole country of Japan should be ashamed about this behavior.

Most people don't really care and don't understand what the fuss is about. The media is complicit in the silence and Japanese experts on TV insist there is no threat of extinction with the minke species. Sea Shepherd have been painted by local media as typical foreign barbarians who have no respect for a negotiating table and must resort to brute force to make their point. That doesn't get good play here.

Quoting speedygonzales (Reply 6):
They should call a spade a spade and say it's commercial

The distribution industry here heavily pressured the government not to do so. Not that it really matters now with their business wiped out.

Well their ideology is actually enforcing a moratorium that is being ignored by the Japanese.

So Palestinian rockets for encroachment by on their land by ignorant Israeli settlers is justified then?? Be careful with this slippery slope.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NIKV69

Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 28):
there are actions they can take like talk about it, sanctions, or war.

None of which will be attempted or would be effective. Hence what is happening now.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 am

If these idiots trying to stop whaling were anywhere USA territorial waters, they would be treated as terrorists and indeed pirates. I also think any company advertising on the show of these fools is supporting terrorism and piracy and should be called out about it. Yes, there is a need to protect the remaining stocks of almost all species of whales and of many other fish, but this is wrong in any moral sense. Better would be to find out who gets these whales, especially if the ever enter the food markets, try to cripple the finances of the fishing companies, both by LEGAL means, not terrorists acts. If any were to be killed in their attempts to board a ship, too bad, they asked for it.

BMI727

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:08 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):
None of which will be attempted or would be effective

No they won't.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 30):
Hence what is happening now

That is not an excuse for vigilantism, piracy, and eco-terrorism. No matter what moratoriums Japan or any other nation are heeding or ignoring, what the Sea Shepherd people are doing is straight up illegal and any Navy would be justified hanging them all from a yardarm.

AF340

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:33 am

They hunt Fins too and they are endangered. Not to mention if this isn't addressed now Minke #s will suffer and then go away. They are not going to observe any quotas or stop when the numbers get dangerous. If you think they will you are being naive.

Look, I am not defending the practices of the Japanese, I am only stating that sustainable shouldn't be considered so sacrosanct. It should be just like any other hunting/fishing operation -- not treated differently because whales are cute.

It's a luxury for me to wear Fur too but I don't feel the need to simply because I can

Yeah, but don't stop somebody else from wearing it.

PC12Fan

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:09 am

I admire the Japanese people and their culture. They are extremely intelligent. Which is what confuses me, because the Japanese figure things out very quickly. So what's the deal with the whales? Why does it take decades of "research" to understand what has already been published in text books?

(and yes, you do smell sarcasm)
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

NIKV69

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:18 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 34):
I admire the Japanese people and their culture. They are extremely intelligent. Which is what confuses me, because the Japanese figure things out very quickly. So what's the deal with the whales? Why does it take decades of "research" to understand what has already been published in text books?

(and yes, you do smell sarcasm)

I love how they go as far as to put in big letters "Research" on their whaling ships. Nothing like taking people for ignarmaouses.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:25 am

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 1):
Having watched all the seasons. They are idiots. No one knows what they are doing and it really amazes me they haven't killed anyone yet.

They can't do ANYTHING right. What a bunch of morons. They can't accomplish anything without some sort of problem. Can't lower their small craft without issue, they don't know how to communicate with each other via radio...I could go on and on. It's pathetic.

As for the TV show. No reality show has pissed me off more than Whale Wars. Nothing, I mean NOTHING gets accomplished during an episode. All this build up, and NOTHING. Maybe one or two real interaction with the whalers happen all season long. The rest of the time they just show how incompetent they really are. That show really frustrates me...and that's BEFORE I even get into the politics of it...which is an entirely different rant.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

unattendedbag

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:44 am

are you telling me they are going to only take a few whales and then stop every year? I just don't see it.

Even Captain Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) has said over and over that the Japanese whaling fleet has quotas. Every season, they mark their successes by counting the number of whales that the Japanese didn't kill based on those quotas.

There are a lot of things that happen on this planet that are sad. Does that mean we should impose injury on those that do things that make us feel sad?

How is this any different than killing cows for meat?

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 36):
They can't do ANYTHING right. What a bunch of morons.

Early on, you are right, they couldn't wipe their asses without getting it all over themselves. With an all volunteer crew and turnover rates into the 50% range every season, minimal training time between operations, you have to exptect that. Boats that are held together by rust and repairs that are fixed a dollar at a time.

[Edited 2011-06-04 21:49:49]
Slower traffic, keep right

Mir

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:00 am

The Japanese whaling fleet says they are catching whales for "research"

They're absolutely using them for research. Research that might someday answer questions like "how many whales is it possible for one boat to kill in one week?" and "what is the tastiest way that a whale could be enjoyed?".

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BMI727

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 38):

Can't believe I forgot this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qST5eVLudrQ

Stealthz

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:42 am

since Austrailia won't enforce the law

What laws are Australia supposed to enforce?

The Japanese whalers operate well outside Australian territorial waters , well outside the Australian Economic zone so little we can do.
Bitch is they and Sea Shepherd do operate inside the Australian Search and Rescue area which is about 1/9 of the world's oceans so we gain no benefit from activities there, have no authority if those activities are illegal yet in the event those parties get themselves into danger, honest hard working Australian maritime and military personnel have to put themselves in harms way to rescue them.. yet somehow this is our fault!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

airtran737

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 pm

I love watching Whale Wars. These people are absolute idiots who can't tell their asshole from a hole in the wall. While I support whale preservation, the methods that they use go way overboard. These people are blinded by their ideology and will do anything to stop whaling, no matter how dangerous or illegal. Paul Watson has rammed other boats, intentionally sailed into dangerous ice patches putting his boat and crew in danger. If Watson was in the Navy he would have been court martialed years ago. At the end of the day he is an eco-terrorist, and should be arrested and imprisoned for his actions.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

baroque

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:04 pm

stop the slaugther of whales since Austrailia won't enforce the law

Good grief. Excellent summaries of what is wrong with Japanese whaling. Resumes fainted position on floor. Not sure if you mentioned the Peter Bethune and related trials Nick, they add grist to the mills. Anyway well done.

Wonder if the Aus customs boats will ever release some of the video they took a couple of years ago.

Wonder if Julia while being nice about the tsunami devastated area, mentioned that their whalers would NOT be welcomed back here.

Maverick623

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:05 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 42):
Good grief.

Wow. You must have passed the 40 replies after the one you quoted.

THERE IS NO LAW TO ENFORCE.

End of story.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Stabilator

Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 am

After viewing both seasons,I find myself, like many others, dumbstruck none of them have been killed. Their inflatables are always either running out of gas or sinking or getting lost. Captain Watson always looks dazed and confused. They harass the Japanese with acid bombs...it's just amazing watching them struggle. And whoever thought it a good idea to cut across the bow of a large harpoon boat in a tiny carbon fibre boat is an idiot.

What amazes me more is that they have been doing this since the 80's and they haven't been blow up yet. Eco-terrorism at it's finest. Can't wait for the he's season for the LOLZ.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

NIKV69

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:10 am

Finally got a chance to take in the new season. WOW, they got a new boat that looks awesome and they named it after Godzilla (Gojira) just to cheese off the Japanese.

Think it's going to be a good season!

aerorobnz

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:33 am

misguided do-gooders?

Yes they are.

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 1):
Personally I view them as pirates. Protesting is fine but throwing projectiles and boarding vessels is in the realm of piracy.

Yes they are Pirates too... which also makes them a form of terrorist.

Neither they are terrorist and how they have survived without being arrested as terrorists is beyond me. The Japanese should send warships with their Whaling fleet to protect it.

Yes they should on occasion just to see what really happens between the two sides - provided they stay in International waters...

yes Quotas are the way, but I don't see how Japan can justify coming into the Southern Hemisphere to capture "our" (Southern Hemisphere) Whales. A quota system within their own waters and hemisphere is the only option...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

baroque

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 am

Good grief.

Wow. You must have passed the 40 replies after the one you quoted.

Indeed not, but Nik was pretty accurate and noting agreement with Nik is always worth a bit of bandwidth. No point in replying to the rants. And about the only solution is:

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 46):
I don't see how Japan can justify coming into the Southern Hemisphere to capture "our" (Southern Hemisphere) Whales. A quota system within their own waters and hemisphere is the only option...

If whales are such a pest in the oceans, there must be stacks off their own coast.

Presumably there are more Japanese these days that come to Australia to do whale watching, than eat whales in Japan???

aerorobnz

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 47):
Presumably there are more Japanese these days that come to Australia to do whale watching, than eat whales in Japan???

Definitely the case for NZ... Whale is too expensive as an everyday meat for most anyway.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

windy95

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 45):
Finally got a chance to take in the new season. WOW, they got a new boat that looks awesome and they named it after Godzilla (Gojira) just to cheese off the Japanese.

Think it's going to be a good season

But we already know the outcome so not much excitement there. No Sea Shepherd ships get sliced in half so I will have to pass.