greasespot
Topic Author

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:34 am

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/apples-icloud-missing-link/

This will be great for people like me who want simple. I have a MacBook,iPad iPhone and touch(iPhone 3 with no sim card)

It will take all my iTunes music(most of what I have now came from them) and store it. Then for 25 a year it will also add my ripped music and no uploading required.

Yes I fully understand that google etc. Would do this but I am not willing to Learn. This will just be a touch of the screen and it will be enabled.

They will also have my purchases history. Which is good as I deleted some by accident.

I just now need to get my iPod music transferred to my MacBook, I have a lot on there I have no longer got the cd's for.

Plus 5 gb of cloud space for other stuff which is sufficient as I do no computing at home out side of presentations.

More at the link

Gs
Gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

EA CO AS

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 am

iOS 5 looks great as well!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jetblueguy22

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 pm

I can't wait for it to fully come out. I'm going to upgrade to an iPhone 4 to be able to fully use all of the features. The ability to have my macbook, iPad, iPhone, and brothers iPhone in sync without having to actually conncect it to my computer every couple of days is a dream come true. The price tag is even better! The 25 for ripped music would be worth it if I actually used cds but I don't so the free price tag is nice in my book.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Braniff747SP

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Meh, I don't need it- Thanks to Google Music, I have all my music stored for free....
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

N328KF

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
Meh, I don't need it- Thanks to Google Music, I have all my music stored for free....

iCloud is much more than storage. Think of it as a site license for all of your illegal downloads. Also, for those who have iOS devices, it could mean not having to pay attention to when and where you download things.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

signol

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Can an Apple user clarify - is this a bit like Dropbox?

Thanks

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Klaus

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 5):
Can an Apple user clarify - is this a bit like Dropbox?

Yes, pretty much, only that with the additional iTunes Match option it also turns low-grade Napster MP3s into high-quality AACs in the process. (In principle it won't change the legal status of your files, but in practice they don't really care - that's why it costs $24.99/year.)

And that it is fully integrated into the Apps which explicitly support it so these Apps simply update all edited documents across all devices without you having to save into a special Dropbox folder.

Of course you can still continue to use Dropbox alongside it, if you want to have it shared with Linux systems, for instance.

With iTunes 10.3 now available through Software Update, some functions like automatic downloads have already come online. The rest is described here:

Apple - iCloud - The new way to store and access your content.

Mir

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:42 pm

In a related story, Apple is apparently requiring you to have Snow Leopard before you can upgrade to Lion. This pisses me off - my intention all along was to skip 10.6 and go right from 10.5 to 10.7, and I don't mind paying a bit more because I'm jumping versions, but the idea that I have to upgrade my OS just to be able to buy the new version is ridiculous. If I were running some much older version of OSX I could understand it, but...really, Apple? How hard would it be to just put the ability to download 10.7 onto the Apple website and charge a little extra for it?

I know Apple loves to plan obsolescence into its products to force people to buy the new stuff, but this is going a bit far.   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Tugger

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 4):
Think of it as a site license for all of your illegal downloads.

What illegal downloads? Most of what I have is from CD's I own and ripped at 320kbps, the rest is bought from Amazon.

Also Apple did confirm in a sideways way that Mac's are now secondary in their future plans. The major focus will by in "cloud" stuff with the consumer units (PC's, phones, pads) being/becoming more "client" like.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

AirPacific747

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Is it correctly understood that users "only" get 5gb of free storage space?

Microsoft has its SkyDrive which offers 25gb of storage space for free as well, and you don't even need a Windows computer to use it.

Ken777

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 9):
Is it correctly understood that users "only" get 5gb of free storage space?

Remember that you music library will not be included in that count, nor will your apps bought on the AppStore.

And, as Apple gets through the initial burst of customers (always a problem) they will be adding storage availability.

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
In a related story, Apple is apparently requiring you to have Snow Leopard before you can upgrade to Lion.

Lion will be released on Apple's AppStore. The AppStore only works on Snow Leopard. If you have a friend who is moving to Lion maybe they will loan you theirs. Actually, you might borrow someone's now to start on the AppStore, then move up to Lion next month.

Otherwise, get a CD of Lion when the upgrade is released. There will probably be a lot of information on how to upgrade from Leopard without any hassles.

Quoting tugger (Reply 8):
Also Apple did confirm in a sideways way that Mac's are now secondary in their future plans.

I think the Macs are more important to Apple every years. Notebooks are now 75% of their Mac sales, but there is still a demand for the desktop line. And remember, every developer who wants to write for iOS will need to do it on a Mac. Probably the same for iCloud and Apple is delivering APIs to developers for iCloud.

Apple also made it clear that some features, like pictures in iCloud have a 1,000 picture limit and are only held for 30 days in order for them to be synced to all you devices. The desktop/notebook will still be the best place for primary storage.

Mir

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 10):
Otherwise, get a CD of Lion when the upgrade is released.

Everything I've heard says that there will be no physical CD/DVD.

-Mir

Ken777

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
Everything I've heard says that there will be no physical CD/DVD.

I have a feeling that Apple will find a way for people who can upgrade. There will be a lot of Macs that will not be able to upgrade - like my original G5 iMac (that will soon be sold off so I can get a new iMac).

Or you can simply get a copy of Snow Leopard ($29 if you do not buy it new), upgrade to that now and then go to Lion next month. That gives you an extra month to look at the apps on the Mac AppStore.

OA260

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Interesting concept. Great for people who dont want to have a PC . Like the idea of the device SYNC.

Love the new IOS 5 also especially the message service. Will be great to get free SMS worldwide with my mates who have iPhones/iPads etc...

bill142

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 13):
Love the new IOS 5 also especially the message service. Will be great to get free SMS worldwide with my mates who have iPhones/iPads etc...

It would be great if these services like imessage and BBM were built like whatsapp so that people can communicate across platforms. I'll more then likely get an iphone 5 to replace my blackberry when it comes out, but I wont be able to continue messaging my current bbm contacts without me and them going back to sms or going to something like whatsapp

jetblueguy22

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:55 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 14):
but I wont be able to continue messaging my current bbm contacts without me and them going back to sms or going to something like whatsapp

There was an article I read a while back about RIM creating a bbm app for iOS and android. It would be bare bones but it means you wouldn't have to dump it completely.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

racko

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:02 pm

25$ to "legalize" all mp3s one might have is a damn good deal.

Klaus

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 8):
Also Apple did confirm in a sideways way that Mac's are now secondary in their future plans. The major focus will by in "cloud" stuff with the consumer units (PC's, phones, pads) being/becoming more "client" like.

iOS devices won't be entirely dependent on a Mac or PC any more, and Macs will be eye-to-eye regarding iCloud, but they're still the "heavy duty" platform for Apple and will remain that (not least the ones with effectively unlimiteds amounts of local storage).

kngkyle
Crew

Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Woo yay Apple gets all the attention for offering (and charging) for a service already available free by google, microsoft, and many others.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive

DocLightning

RE: Apple Introduces ICloud

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:36 pm

I find this interesting.

Back in the '60's and '70's, computers were gargantuan mainframes that took up whole floors of buildings. The basic model of computing at that time, as I understand it, was that individual users would have terminals that didn't look too terribly different from today's desktop PC's (save the CRT screen and anachronistic styling). Individual users' terminals would be "dumb slaves." Very little memory, very little computing power, and really just served as an interface for the mainframe system.

Airlines used a variant of this basic architecture until relatively recently, with remote terminals all over the world communicating with a central scheduling mainframe via telephone modem. It wasn't until the 1990's that airlines switched to a more modern web-based system.

In the '80's, the advent of the PC started to change the model of computing. For the first time, you could have a Turing-complete machine in your house. At first, these machines were used in isolation with most communication between them being by removable media, evolving from tape reels to cassettes to 5.5" floppies to 3.5" floppies, etc. But after Al Gore invented the internet  , things started to change. Large networks of PC's, linked by new beefed-up PC's called servers started to behave in many ways like the mainframes of old did. But the systems architecture was totally different, although the effect began to look similar.

So here we are in 2011 moving back to the mainframe model, but with a twist. The mainframe is now a cloud, which does the work of many mainframes. The "terminals" need only be smart enough to run a web browser. The heavy work happens in the cloud, just like it used to happen in the mainframe. The rapid expansion of wireless access, combined with miniaturization, has made it easier to manufacture smaller and more portable terminals. The laptop was the first step, the smart phone was the next, and the tablet is the logical union of the two. You don't really need a "computer" anymore, you just need a terminal and web access.

I find this see-saw of the trend to be really interesting. I'll be anxious to see what comes next. I don't think that re-decentralization is likely. What I think is that we will see further miniaturization and redesign of the terminals. I predict wearable terminals in which gloves will replace the keyboard and mouse and glasses will replace the monitor. Eventually, it might even be possible for the glasses to display an "overlay" on reality for various purposes, which could be useful in anything from training to mechanical maintenance (imagine if the goggles could give you computer-generated "X-ray vision" of the schematic of an aircraft) to surgery. I predict that keeping your personal data at home will become less and less popular and will only be used as a back-up and for highly-sensitive materials.

It's fascinating to watch this new revolution happen and to speculate on what will happen next.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Klaus

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
So here we are in 2011 moving back to the mainframe model, but with a twist. The mainframe is now a cloud, which does the work of many mainframes. The "terminals" need only be smart enough to run a web browser. The heavy work happens in the cloud, just like it used to happen in the mainframe.

That is pretty much the Google concept of where things are supposed to go.

The Apple concept is very different as presented on Monday: It uses the iCloud merely as a transparent conduit between autonomous computing devices which are doing the actual computing themselves primarily.

Data is also stored on the actual devices – iCloud merely copies the data between the devices and it can cache your data in case the originating device is not online while another one of your clients is getting online to check for the latest changes.

Google is a server company first and foremost, while Apple is a client company first and foremost, so their very different approaches are logical for each of them. And actually complementary up to a point, since each one's products can be used together with the other one's.

N328KF

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting Kngkyle (Reply 18):
Woo yay Apple gets all the attention for offering (and charging) for a service already available free by google, microsoft, and many others.

Which shows that you can't be bothered to read what people have said, and that you came in only to get in a cheap, clueless jab.

In any case, here's how to install Lion off of DVD:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/07/how-to-burn-a-lion-boot-disc/

[Edited 2011-06-07 13:35:45]
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Ken777

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 20):
That is pretty much the Google concept of where things are supposed to go.

The Apple concept is very different as presented on Monday: It uses the iCloud merely as a transparent conduit between autonomous computing devices which are doing the actual computing themselves primarily.

There is an interesting factor in the difference between the two companies: computer components are getting both cheaper and more powerful at the same time. The dumb terminals of the 80s is simply too expensive to provide as a "dumb terminal". It would be easier and cheaper to simply install the current PC components, rendering the need to compute in the cloud uneconomical. The concept of keeping all iOS and OS X devices synced is far more attractive.

Klaus

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
There is an interesting factor in the difference between the two companies: computer components are getting both cheaper and more powerful at the same time.

Indeed. I rarely hunger for more computing power than I've already got on my hands, but my online connection is not nearly as all-pervasive and as fast as I would like (and it eats more battery power, too, on average).

DocLightning

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 22):
The dumb terminals of the 80s is simply too expensive to provide as a "dumb terminal". It would be easier and cheaper to simply install the current PC components, rendering the need to compute in the cloud uneconomical. The concept of keeping all iOS and OS X devices synced is far more attractive.

I'm not sure that Google would agree with you. Klaus raises a very good point. iCloud is mostly a storage and transport medium, where as Google Apps is a processing and working medium. iCloud keeps multiple devices synchronized, which is convenient when you consider that there are a number of people who spend time in airplanes and subways and other environments in which wireless connectivity may not be available. It will be many years until every airliner on every route has good internet service.

The Google model may be a bit ahead of its time by presupposing always available internet. But the upside of the Google model is that the device that you are using is wholly unimportant as long as it has a browser.

Ultimately, much as the Apple vs. IBM wars of the '80's and the 787 vs A380, there may be no clear winner. Or there might be. There are two very business models of providing a similar result. One will win and one will lose.

But one thing is true about Apple: typically their business models define the industry. They didn't invent the portable computer, but it was only after the PowerBook that notebook PC's became widespread. They didn't invent the smartphone, but smartphones were mostly niche devices until the iPhone. They didn't invent the tablet, but the industry had given up on tablets until the iPad. They didn't invent the MP3 or online music or the MP3 player, but iTunes and the iPod struck a death blow to the CD. For their faults and failures, they are very, [i]very[i] good at what they do, which is product design. That's about as close to a factual statement as you can get with a subjective assessment.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

czbbflier

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:11 am

I find this see-saw of the trend to be really interesting. I'll be anxious to see what comes next. I don't think that re-decentralization is likely. What I think is that we will see further miniaturization and redesign of the terminals. I predict wearable terminals in which gloves will replace the keyboard and mouse and glasses will replace the monitor. Eventually, it might even be possible for the glasses to display an "overlay" on reality for various purposes, which could be useful in anything from training to mechanical maintenance (imagine if the goggles could give you computer-generated "X-ray vision" of the schematic of an aircraft) to surgery. I predict that keeping your personal data at home will become less and less popular and will only be used as a back-up and for highly-sensitive materials.

I was thinking that myself, doc!

Should one be concerned that now all non-Americans' personal data will be subject to US law once their data is uploaded to servers physically based in North Carolina? I do see sovereignty issues becoming prevalent in the mix of predictions...

NorthstarBoy

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:22 am

While I'm sure this a very impressive accomplishment, i'm not sure why there's even a market for it. Personally, I would never dream of storing anything important on the internet. There's too much risk that some factor out of my control is going to cause my files to become damaged/corrupted/inaccessible when i may need or want them. Let's not even talk about hackers who probably even now are plotting how to take down the grid and wipe out everyone's files. I'll stick with a harddrive, thanks.

My other wondrance is: does this mean apple has figured out how to let Safari open two browser windows at once? I can imagine that they're going to have alot of pissed off customers when those customers discover they have to close cloud if they want to go elsewhere on the net.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

JBirdAV8r

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:54 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
In a related story, Apple is apparently requiring you to have Snow Leopard before you can upgrade to Lion. This pisses me off - my intention all along was to skip 10.6 and go right from 10.5 to 10.7,

At least on the surface, that is kinda BS.

On the other hand, an upgrade to Snow Leopard costs $30, and Lion costs another $30. Still MUCH cheaper than upgrading a Windows OS.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Mir

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:46 am

and glasses will replace the monitor.

iGlasses.  
Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 27):
On the other hand, an upgrade to Snow Leopard costs $30, and Lion costs another $30. Still MUCH cheaper than upgrading a Windows OS.

Yeah, I know, but it's just the principle of having to buy an upgrade solely for the ability to buy another upgrade that pisses me off. Not in really in line with the whole "easy to use" philosophy, is it?

-Mir

Klaus

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:54 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 26):
My other wondrance is: does this mean apple has figured out how to let Safari open two browser windows at once?

They did that before 2007 when they presented the first iPhone.

JBirdAV8r

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
Not in really in line with the whole "easy to use" philosophy, is it?

I agree that is pretty clunky and out-of-character. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the marketing on that.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

washingtonian

Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 am

The new Mail looks amazing! Mail is the one Apple app that I simply do not like. Can't wait for Lion!

Klaus

Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:03 pm

The OS upgrade has been made easier than ever for most of those users who are keeping up-to-date with their OS anyway. It's nice not having to order a physical medium any more but simply downloading it whenever I want.

Only the smaller number of people who skipped over Snow Leopard but still want to upgrade to Lion need an intermediate step (or the downloaded installer from a friend). If Apple won't offer a one-step solution anyway.

mt99

Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
Yes, pretty much, only that with the additional iTunes Match option it also turns low-grade Napster MP3s into high-quality AACs in the process. (In principle it won't change the legal status of your files, but in practice they don't really care - that's why it costs $24.99/year.)

A while back i heard (on NPR i think) how the only way that the recording companies really make money now a days is by concerts and promotions, and stuff.. Recorded music has become just a mean to getting you to go to the concert. Some artists give you a free digital download of their CD if you buy a concert ticket.

By their acceptance of iTunes Match, it seems like the music industry has given up on making money from recorded music.

Although it would be interesting to see is piracy has gone down with the advent of iTunes..
Step into my office, baby

Klaus

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 33):
By their acceptance of iTunes Match, it seems like the music industry has given up on making money from recorded music.

No, but they are probably beginning to accept that the sales high in the earlier CD era was an exception which is not extendable and that they will have to be more realistic from now on.

Artists are not necessarily as dependent on the labels any more. For the first time they can really gain broad attention without having a label sponsoring them if they choose that way (and are lucky enough. of course).

And I've heard the same thing, that concert revenues are increasingly important. But the labels may not always be involved there either.

Of course the labels still have their place, but their near-total monopoly on the music business is probably a thing of the past, with artists gaining direct access to their fans through the internet and the download platforms taking over distribution.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 33):
Although it would be interesting to see is piracy has gone down with the advent of iTunes..

I would expect that to be the case. Particularly since downloads are DRM-free and with decent (and sometimes even excellent) quality.

Tugger

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 34):
Artists are not necessarily as dependent on the labels any more. For the first time they can really gain broad attention without having a label sponsoring them if they choose that way (and are lucky enough. of course).

Yep, just be featured in an Apple commercial!  

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Tugger

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Just in, Apple is being sued by iCloud:

Quote:
iCloud Communications is asking Apple to stop using iCloud and destroy "all labels, signs, prints, insignia, letterhead, brochures, business cards, invoices and any other written or recorded material or advertisements" that use its name. In addition the complaint calls for "all profits, gains and advantages obtained from Apple's unlawful conduct" and "all monetary damages sustained and to be sustained... including lost profits and reasonable royalties."

In other words, the company wants a lot of cash from what it says is the largest tech company in the world.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/230127/apple_sued_by_icloud.html

I wonder if Apple will have to give up the name "iCloud".... yeah right.

Tugg

bill142

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 36):

Apparently apple paid several million for the icloud domain

Ken777

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Quoting bill142 (Reply 37):
Apparently apple paid several million for the iCloud domain

True. They have legal rights to the domain name. After that it gets down to confusion between the two and Apple has already established dominance of consumer awareness.

Otherwise, it gets down to how many companies are named iCloud something or ACME something.

Klaus

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:00 pm

The problem is apparently that iCloud Communications latched on to an obviously Apple-originated naming scheme (right down to the capitalization of the name) and that they are now trying to extort money from Apple for trademark infringement since Apple had not registered and defended this particular trademark themselves.

It's quite ironic in some ways; In principle iCloud Communications operated less than honestly by working with a name which implied to their customers an affiliation with Apple which never existed. But in legal reality there will probably just be a settlement and strict nondisclosure agreements.

The internet domain has been a separate deal as far as I understand.

Springbok747

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 38):
. After that it gets down to confusion between the two and Apple has already established dominance of consumer awareness.

Just because Apple have already established 'dominance of consumer awareness' doesn't make it right to steal someone else's name and use it. I mean..if you do a search for 'icloud' you'll get a ton of Apple related stuff before you get anything related to icloud communications (the company). Apple will probably countersue on the grounds that they own the lowercase letter "i"  
Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
n principle iCloud Communications operated less than honestly by working with a name which implied to their customers an affiliation with Apple which never existed.

Where do they claim that they have an affiliation with Apple? So.. should people also get confused with the way Hyundai name their cars..like the i10, i45, iLoad etc? So is Hyundai implying it has an affiliation with Apple? Just because something has an "i" in front of it, doesnt automatically mean people will think it is affiliated with Apple.

This company has been around and using this name since 2005, before Apple came up with their name.
אני תומך בישראל

Ken777

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 40):
doesn't make it right to steal someone else's name and use it

Since Apple paid for the name iCloud.com they have the legal rights to it. iCloud communications do not. And then there is the question of who was first: iCloud communications or iCloud.com.

That addresses the iCloud name for the internet. As far as a general name goes it's like ACME or ACE.

.if you do a search for 'icloud' you'll get a ton of Apple related stuff before you get anything related to icloud communications (the company).

That alone might tell you something.

This company has been around and using this name since 2005, before Apple came up with their name.

And Apple has been using the iXxxx format longer than that. Since the first iMac IIRC, and then there was the iPod, which I believe comes before iCloud communications. Of course, it will be interesting to see if the iCloud.com domain name was taken and in use before iCloud communications started. Maybe CloudMe will sue iCloud communications for sue of their name and interference with their agreements with Apple. That would be interesting as iCloud communications would need to pay their lawyers to defend that suit instead of getting contingency legal work on the Apple suit.

Springbok747

Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:21 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 41):
That alone might tell you something.

That's because Apple are obviously a far bigger and different company than the one called icloud communications, that deals with voip.

They've been doing business as iCloud Comm for 6 years, that will hold far more weight in court than Apple snatching up the trademark this year. And AFAIK..you can claim a trademark without registering by placing the TM, or SM (if it is a service) next to the logo or phrase...at least that's how it works here in Oz.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 41):
And Apple has been using the iXxxx format longer than that.

The whole "i" concept was started by Cisco... Apple didn't start it, they just milk it.
אני תומך בישראל

Klaus

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 42):
The whole "i" concept was started by Cisco... Apple didn't start it, they just milk it.

That is not quite true, or at least not the whole story.

While Cisco's IOS trademark apparently preceded it and has a certain obviousness to it in its own (relatively obscure) context, it was the iMac (including its particular spelling) which kicked off a long string of trademark imitators and outright squatters attempting to make a buck off the immediate recognizability of the naming scheme Apple popularized.

In fact, the known insistence of Apple a) to consistently use the most obvious name for a new product, always adhering to the same scheme since the iMac and b) to keep upcoming projects so secret that they even refused to assert these trademarks in advance made it easy for squatters to register the obvious trademarks on Apple's path and to hope for a big payoff whenever they would be needing that trademark after all, generally on a tight schedule right before the public presentation of the new product - or at least to make some money using a trademark scheme which was expensively boosted by Apple and supplied with a high-grade quality image.

Without Apple, there would be nothing to "milk", since IOS as a brand name was effectively worthless outside of a relatively small market and even there it was of limited value.

It was only the major Push of Apple with the iMac and the growing popularity of Apple's subsequent "i" products which made the naming scheme worth actual money by itself.

"i" trademark squatters are probably just a minor invonvenience for Apple in the grand scheme of things, but I think it is relatively safe to say that in most or all of the post-IOS cases it is quite clear who's riding whose coattails.