RussianJet
Topic Author

The Dalai Lama And Pizza

Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:54 am

Saw this and thought it worthy of sharing.

Quote:

An Australian television presenter attempted to tell a Dalai Lama joke to the man himself, but struggled to raise a smile.

Karl Stefanovic from the Today show had to have elements of the joke translated to the Tibetan leader, and the play on words were met with a blank stare until the Dalai Lama laughed at Mr Stefanovic's attempts to explain the humour.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13782645

Poor Dalai Lama just didn't get it, made for some pretty funny viewing though! He did have a good laugh about it eventually. Awesome guy.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

MEA-707

RE: The Dalai Lama And Pizza

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:14 am

I also don't get it?? What's funny about a pizza with everything on it?
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Quokka

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 am

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 2):
What's funny about a pizza with everything on it?

It is not "a pizza" with everything on it: it is "make me one with everything. " It's to do with the notion that we are all part of the universe and need to be at harmony, not step on ants, etc....a philosophical joke.

RussianJet
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am

Quoting Quokka (Reply 2):
It is not "a pizza" with everything on it: it is "make me one with everything. " It's to do with the notion that we are all part of the universe and need to be at harmony, not step on ants, etc....a philosophical joke.

Exactly. It is just a very silly play on words, but is the kind of joke that for some reason really tickles me. I think also the fact that the Dalai Lama is looking so serious and trying so hard to concentrate on getting it just cracks me up, particularly when the joke is so silly to begin with!
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

joffie

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:45 am

hahahahahahha and this guy won the gold logie this year. Its funny because its so stupid, and love it when the Dalai Lama cracks up when Karl goes "I knew this wouldn't work"

Quokka

Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:57 am

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 3):
the Dalai Lama is looking so serious and trying so hard to concentrate on getting it

I loved it when the Dalai Lama appeared to be asking "what's a pizza shop?", or maybe "was I in a pizza shop?"

comorin

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 pm

He didn't find it funny as he had heard it before in his previous incarnation.