NIKV69
Topic Author

Ryan Dunn Of Jackass Killed In Auto Accident

Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localp...-in-car-accident-in-chester-county

Sure seems like he was traveling a bit too fast. I liked him more on Bam's show.

R.I.P
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

unattendedbag

RE: Ryan Dunn Of Jackass Killed In Auto Accident

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:02 pm

looks a lot like Zach Galifianakis.

here's a like to a photo of the car.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...ss-star-ryan-dunn-killed-car-crash
Slower traffic, keep right

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:04 pm

He was one of the funnier guys in the Viva La Bam/Jackass shows. Sad to see he was speeding.
Go big or go home

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Quoting unattendedbag (Reply 1):
here's a like to a photo of the car.

Not much left, yea he was going quite fast. Shame.

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 2):
He was one of the funnier guys in the Viva La Bam/Jackass shows. Sad to see he was speeding.

Yep I really liked him on Bam's show.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Aparently he tweeted a pic of himself drinking with friends shortly before the accident so alcohol might have been a factor.

Very sad.  

[Edited 2011-06-20 11:26:59]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Drunk driver kills himself and passenger.. Lived up to his programmes name. Luckily nobody else who was innocently driving down the road at the time was killed.

ALTF4

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 5):

Drunk driver kills himself and passenger.. Lived up to his programmes name. Luckily nobody else who was innocently driving down the road at the time was killed.

Next....
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Flighty

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 5):

You may call him a drunk driver, but to me. he was a drunk driver probably on some REALLY GOOD other drugs too.  

Plus he was driving a Porsche GT3, which just shows he enjoys life period. But, yes, it is good he didn't kill any other random people.

PHLBOS

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 4):
Aparently he tweeted a pic of himself drinking with friends shortly before the accident so alcohol might have been a factor.

Talk about incriminating evidence.

I didn't realize that this guy lived in the Greater Philly area. The location of the crash is about 15 to 20 miles west of where I live.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 7):

You may call him a drunk driver, but to me. he was a drunk driver probably on some REALLY GOOD other drugs too.

And this is a good thing because? Hmmm..

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:20 pm

You may call him a drunk driver, but to me. he was a drunk driver probably on some REALLY GOOD other drugs too

Hope his family saved some of that money, they are sure to get sued. The pic of him drinking on twitter seems to be pulled.

[Edited 2011-06-20 12:30:02]

ALTF4

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Plus he was driving a Porsche GT3, which just shows he enjoys life period. But, yes, it is good he didn't kill any other random people.

Ah yes, its ok that he killed the passenger - he was only enjoying life. Its no big deal - just one less person besides him - aren't we lucky he didn't kill more people? Lets all just giggle about it and ride purple ponies.

vikkyvik

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Plus he was driving a Porsche GT3, which just shows he enjoys life period.

Not anymore he doesn't.

I never really watched Jackass, and I absolutely hated Viva La Bam, but still, I feel bad for his family, and especially for the family of his passenger.

It's too bad that so many kids probably idolize those guys (though, to be clear, that is the kids' parents' problem, not the Jackass guys).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 11):
Ah yes, its ok that he killed the passenger - he was only enjoying life. Its no big deal - just one less person besides him - aren't we lucky he didn't kill more people? Lets all just giggle about it and ride purple ponies.

I think this will bring things into a different light. I met Wee Man outside a bar one night in Manhattan Beach. He was having quite a good time. I just think he had enough brains not to get into a suped up sportscar and speed.

Many of these public figures just lose sight of reality way too much. Iit's a shame they take people with them.

san747

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:49 pm

I was saddened to hear this, he was one of my favorite guys on the crew. Unfortunate that he may have been drinking, and apparently he was going 110 MPH at the time of the crash  Wow! Just goes to show it can happen to anyone- we can all overestimate our ability to safely drive after an evening of drinking.

I for one will always remember him as the guy who got his ass kicked by a female Vietnamese kickboxer and took it like a champ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outbQxv7Xl0

[Edited 2011-06-20 12:51:18]
Scotty doesn't know...

san747

Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 13):

Many of these public figures just lose sight of reality way too much. Iit's a shame they take people with them.

Indeed. I think he made a stupid mistake, and of course to the family of the passenger, that isn't much of a consolation, but this obviously wasn't malicious, and like I said, this could have happened to anyone.
Scotty doesn't know...

ALTF4

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 15):
this could have happened to anyone.

I'm tired of hearing BS like that. No, it really isn't just a random happenstance like ya'll make it sound. He made a decision to go to a bar, to drink, and then to drive. He made the choices.

Plenty of people either do not drink, or they only drink when they have a DD or when they are at home. It isn't just "going to happen" to them. I enjoy a drink here and there, but never have more than one beer. That is even when I am at home and not going to drive for the next 12 hours.

So, is this just some luck of the draw? No. I give the guy credit for making hilarious shows, but he made much more than a stupid mistake. He killed somebody else. I don't think that just "happens" to anybody. If you think it could just "happen" to you, I think you have a serious issue with self control, and I really don't want to be on the road anywhere near you.

Call me a kill joy, but when you kill somebody else........

san747

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 16):

I'm tired of hearing BS like that. No, it really isn't just a random happenstance like ya'll make it sound. He made a decision to go to a bar, to drink, and then to drive. He made the choices.

Yes he did make his choices. Millions of Americans go out to bars and restaurants and drink and manage to get home just fine. Unfortunately, he was not responsible with his drinking, and he lost his life and another person's, which is very sad and senseless.

But I guess if you've been a saint your whole life and never once drank too much at once and gotten excessively inebriated, then it's easy for you to sit there in judgment. I've never driven drunk (though I have driven after having a few beers over the course of several hours), but I have absolutely been at a level of intoxication where I definitely could not safely drive and neither he nor I are bad people for having been in that state. For Christ's sake, he paid for this bad decision with his own life!

I don't think that just "happens" to anybody. If you think it could just "happen" to you, I think you have a serious issue with self control, and I really don't want to be on the road anywhere near you.

I've never driven drunk, but I think anyone can overestimate their ability to do so. I'm glad you're responsible with your drinking, it's commendable, but you can't control other people's actions, so really the only way to completely avoid the possibility of being an innocent victim is to just never drive.
Scotty doesn't know...

ALTF4

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 17):
you can't control other people's actions, so really the only way to completely avoid the possibility of being an innocent victim is to just never drive.

My issue is not (ironically) with the people who drink and drive* - it is with the attitude we, as a society in general, seem to have about the whole matter. We say "yes, people are responsible for their actions", but then it turns into a "wow, this really can happen to anybody" type deal. It shouldn't be that way. Nothing wrong with drinking, but control yourself. That means not putting yourself into a situation where you can lose your ability to make good judgements. Don't get to the place where you make bad judgements and then expect yourself to act rationally.

To put it differently, we all have sexual desires. Does that mean we go out and rape people? Hell no. You control yourself, you have a reasonable outlet for your desires. When somebody does rape somebody, we don't say "oh man, wow, it really can happen to anybody".

Not a perfect example, but it'll have to do since I'm running off to a meeting in 30 seconds.   I think it vaguely makes my point.

* Of course I have problems with people drinking and driving. For the sake of this specific argument, though, I am making a point about the attitude we have, almost a complacency toward the issue. Don't for a second think that I don't mind drunk drivers.

ALTF4

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 pm

But I guess if you've been a saint your whole life and never once drank too much at once and gotten excessively inebriated, then it's easy for you to sit there in judgment.

Also, that does not apply. If you plan on drinking way too much, then make it damn near impossible for yourself to drive anywhere. Again, nothing wrong with drinking - just for the love of all things good, don't let yourself drink too much and then drive. Make it impossible for yourself to do so - take a cab to the bar - don't drive to the bar then expect yourself to say "oh, I'll take a cab home when I'm too drunk".

If you don't do things like that, I think you're being irresponsible and shouldn't be drinking.

My 2 cents....

Fly2HMO

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm

A-freaking-men.

It's a Darwin award in my eyes straight and through. Also goes to show what happens to the vast majority of previously below average joe's who all of a sudden grow rich and famous and buy expensive toys and what not. They all invariably loose it and get some sort of invincibility complex or something. I just find it unforgivable that he killed someone else in the process. Granted if this other person was sober (unlikely) then he should've known better.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 20):
A-freaking-men.

It's a Darwin award in my eyes straight and through

Also something he has done many times before but didn't roll his car.

airportugal310

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:40 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 18):

My issue is not (ironically) with the people who drink and drive* - it is with the attitude we, as a society in general, seem to have about the whole matter. We say "yes, people are responsible for their actions", but then it turns into a "wow, this really can happen to anybody" type deal. It shouldn't be that way. Nothing wrong with drinking, but control yourself. That means not putting yourself into a situation where you can lose your ability to make good judgements. Don't get to the place where you make bad judgements and then expect yourself to act rationally.

To put it differently, we all have sexual desires. Does that mean we go out and rape people? Hell no. You control yourself, you have a reasonable outlet for your desires. When somebody does rape somebody, we don't say "oh man, wow, it really can happen to anybody".

Not a perfect example, but it'll have to do since I'm running off to a meeting in 30 seconds. I think it vaguely makes my point.

* Of course I have problems with people drinking and driving. For the sake of this specific argument, though, I am making a point about the attitude we have, almost a complacency toward the issue. Don't for a second think that I don't mind drunk drivers.

I think this sums it up nicely
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

AR385

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Here´s what I don´t understand. How is the passenger killed so innocent here? You choose to get on board with a drunk driver, you are making a dangerous bet. In this case, this passenger lost his bet. He wasn´t driving, but he made a stupid choice.

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:54 pm

I think this will bring things into a different light. I met Wee Man outside a bar one night in Manhattan Beach. He was having quite a good time. I just think he had enough brains not to get into a suped up sportscar and speed.

Steve-O, is now 100% sober and changed is life around 180 degrees. Saw is biography on tv last week. Really good story of redemption.
Go big or go home

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 19):

Totaly agree with you, Society seems to like to make morons its heroes currently.

It can't "happen to anyone" most people usualy engage the brain and decide not to get wasted then drive over 100mph.. That is something that happens to an idiot. What CAN happen to anyone is they can be driving down the road minding their own business doing everything correctly and then get plowed into by a drunk driver who takes the innocent persons life early.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 23):

Agree with you also, The passenger chose to get into a vehicle with a drunk.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Silver1SWA
Crew

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 23):
Here´s what I don´t understand. How is the passenger killed so innocent here? You choose to get on board with a drunk driver, you are making a dangerous bet. In this case, this passenger lost his bet. He wasn´t driving, but he made a stupid choice.

Exactly! And I think it's reasonable to assume that the passenger sought the thrill of going that fast just as much as the driver.

[Edited 2011-06-20 14:28:37]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

san747

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm

We say "yes, people are responsible for their actions", but then it turns into a "wow, this really can happen to anybody" type deal.

But it really can happen to anyone. Anytime you go out and have drinks at a bar or restaurant, you have to decide whether you've had too much to drive. It's very common for people to drive themselves home after a few hours at Yard House or something and a few beers when they know they're not blitzed and are perfectly fine to drive.

What Ryan Dunn did was make the wrong choice when the time came to decide what to do when he left the bar. He shouldn't have chose to drive and now he and his friend paid the ultimate price for it.

Nothing wrong with drinking, but control yourself. That means not putting yourself into a situation where you can lose your ability to make good judgements. Don't get to the place where you make bad judgements and then expect yourself to act rationally.

Absolutely. If I know I'm going to have more than two beers at any one outing, I never drive, I get a DD (or if its at a friend's place, I stay over).

Also, that does not apply. If you plan on drinking way too much, then make it damn near impossible for yourself to drive anywhere. Again, nothing wrong with drinking - just for the love of all things good, don't let yourself drink too much and then drive. Make it impossible for yourself to do so - take a cab to the bar - don't drive to the bar then expect yourself to say "oh, I'll take a cab home when I'm too drunk".

See above. That is the right thing to do, Ryan unfortunately didn't do that and now he's gone.

If you don't do things like that, I think you're being irresponsible and shouldn't be drinking.

Agreed. I just think everyone is hopping on board the judgment train unnecessarily. What good does condemning him do? He's dead. That's the ultimate justice, the ultimate consequence to making a bad choice. What would you all be saying if he survived and the passenger didn't? I guarantee most of you would be calling for him to get the death penalty for it, so what's the difference?

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 24):

Steve-O, is now 100% sober and changed is life around 180 degrees. Saw is biography on tv last week. Really good story of redemption.

It is a great story. He was at a very low point only 2-3 years ago and he's really turned it around for the better. Just goes to show, it's never too late to make a change!

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 25):

It can't "happen to anyone" most people usualy engage the brain and decide not to get wasted then drive over 100mph.. That is something that happens to an idiot.

See above. People make all kinds of dumb decisions when drunk, and he's not the first to die from drinking and driving. It doesn't make him an idiot, it simply means he made one bad choice- one that he'll never be able to take back.

That's why I say it could happen to anyone- ANY person who is sufficiently drunk is capable of making a bad/stupid decision, and anyone who has been drunk and has never done or said something stupid at some point is lying to you. None of us have done what he did, but it doesn't make us any better than him or him any worse than us. Sorry buddy.
Scotty doesn't know...

ALTF4

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Quoting san747 (Reply 28):
Anytime you go out and have drinks at a bar or restaurant, you have to decide whether you've had too much to drive.

No you don't. You decide BEFORE hand. You do the math - when does it become possible for me to be intoxicated - when is the earliest it could become apparent. You familiarize yourself with that, then set a limit WELL below that level if you are driving or there is the slightest possibility you will be driving. Then, you stick with that limit, period.

If you're deciding when the waitress with bulging cleavage is asking if you want another round, you're going about this incorrectly.

But it really can happen to anyone.

I know for a fact that if I drink ONE beer with 7% abv, even on an empty stomach, I am not over the legal limit nor am I too impaired to drive. Same with two. But whenever I am out, I ONLY drink one beer. Even if I am out from 5pm to midnight. Its one beer. Might be a heck of a lot more wings, but ONE beer. How can that happen to me? Or, how can it happen to somebody who is allergic to alcohol? There are plenty of people out there allergic to it, or to hops used in beers, or any number of other things.

We shouldn't lay out blanket statements like that.

Can it easily happen to somebody who drinks three beers a night, sometimes five, and always thinks he's ok? Hell yeah. Can it happen to me? I have enough self control to limit myself to one beer, and I know I cannot get 'drunk' off of one. So no. Now, if you're asking if it is physiologically possible for me to have too much alcohol in my system for my brain to function properly and for me to somehow be in control of a motor vehicle - as in, is it actually possible, will the universe allow it to happen - well duh, of course. I'm not 'immune' to the effects of alcohol, whether inside of outside of a car. But I think we all know we are talking about behavior and self control.  

I don't see why people lose all sense of moral, ethical, and legal responsibility when it comes to alcohol. We impose strict, harsh punishment and sanctions on other abusive or over-indulgent behavior, but we, as a society, give alcohol a free pass. Alcohol kills when not used correctly. Why can't people understand that? Why can't people be responsible for their own actions and have the maturity to control themselves? I bet you they would if the odds of getting caught and the severity of the punishment was anything close to the perceived risk of raping somebody.

I just think everyone is hopping on board the judgment train unnecessarily.

I'm not judging him. If you read my posts, which I know you did, you should see that I am criticizing society, not him.

[Edited 2011-06-20 16:09:39]

DeltaMD90

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 pm

That's why I NEVER drink and drive. Not even a beer. It's been very inconvenient, but if next time I can handle 2 and drive, then 3, then 4, then 5 6 7 8 9 .........   
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

vikkyvik

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:29 pm

I think this will bring things into a different light. I met Wee Man outside a bar one night in Manhattan Beach

I go to Wee-Man's Chronic Tacos pretty frequently - it's a half mile from my apartment.

but this obviously wasn't malicious

Getting drunk and then getting behind the wheel of a car with a passenger is about as malicious as you can get.

But I guess if you've been a saint your whole life and never once drank too much at once and gotten excessively inebriated, then it's easy for you to sit there in judgment.

Fine, if you want to play that card, then take MY judgment for it. I've drank way too much, I've driven drunk way too much. I was a complete and utter idiot - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I could have killed people; I could have killed myself.

It was absolutely idiotic and completely irresponsible. And I was simply lucky that nothing bad ever happened.

Happy now?

He made the choices.

Yup. And sadly, his choice killed a passenger as well (though, of course, the passenger didn't have to get in the car with him).

Nothing wrong with drinking, but control yourself. That means not putting yourself into a situation where you can lose your ability to make good judgements. Don't get to the place where you make bad judgements and then expect yourself to act rationally.

That's the insidiousness of drinking. You think, "oh, I'd never do something like that!" But inevitably, you say that when you're sober. 10 beers later, your decision-making process is much impaired.

It's very common for people to drive themselves home after a few hours at Yard House or something and a few beers when they know they're not blitzed and are perfectly fine to drive.

So what? Just because something is common doesn't mean it's not stupid and potentially dangerous.

If you're under the limit, then legally you may be fine. But it's up to each individual person to know how much is too much. Just because you blow a 0.07 doesn't mean you're not slightly impaired.

It doesn't make him an idiot,

Yes, it does. I can't think of a better term, except perhaps dumbass.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

GIANCAVIA

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm

See above. People make all kinds of dumb decisions when drunk, and he's not the first to die from drinking and driving. It doesn't make him an idiot, it simply means he made one bad choice- one that he'll never be able to take back.

I would say it defines idiot.

Fine if he doesnt care about his life thats one thing, Getting into a vehicle he endangered the life of anybody on that road at the same time he was. If he plowed into a car and wiped out an entire family would all these people be saying RIP poor guy.

People say dont judge but this is the exact thing you should judge, When morons act like morons and endager innocent people they should be judged for what they are. A mistake is turning up somewhere late, taking a wrong turning .. not willingly hopping in your car and driving 100mph while wasted.

I see the point you are trying to make about mistakes but those points shouldnt be used in favour of an argument for a drunk driver.

n6238p

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 am

Ryan Dunn entertained me on TV and in the movies. Compared to the other guys from the CKY crew, he seemed like the one that was the most down to earth and not in love with himself. With that being said its unfortunate the circumstances that resulted in the death of him and his passenger.

Future programming involving the Jackass, CKY crews and their spinoff's will not be the same without him and I hope the family and friends of Dunn and his passenger find peace.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

goblin211

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:16 am

Very ironic way to die. All those crazy stunts in his show and he dies in a typical drunk crash? I thought he'd die doing some of those stunts he did. Very sad though.   
From the airport with love

n229nw

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:29 am

I think ALTF4 has pretty much summed things up.

this could have happened to anyone.

No, it can't happen to you if you aren't an a$$hole who drives drunk.

Quoting san747 (Reply 14):
we can all overestimate our ability to safely drive after an evening of drinking.

If you cannot trust yourself to make responsible decisions when drinking (or at the least make sure you have people around you who can force you to be responsible) then there is a simple solution: don't drink.

(I am not attacking you, San747, I just don't like it when people make light of drunk driving by saying "it could happen to anyone"--that's not so different from saying, "ooh, he was pissed off that his girlfriend was with a new guy, so he got wasted and shot her, oh well, he was drunk and passionate...could happen to anyone..." etc.

Also, that does not apply. If you plan on drinking way too much, then make it damn near impossible for yourself to drive anywhere.

Of course, lots of people make a stupid mistake or two in their lives. And many are lucky about the consequences. But if people have a pattern of reckless decisions, they shouldn't be allowed to drive.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

san747

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 29):

I don't see why people lose all sense of moral, ethical, and legal responsibility when it comes to alcohol. We impose strict, harsh punishment and sanctions on other abusive or over-indulgent behavior, but we, as a society, give alcohol a free pass. Alcohol kills when not used correctly. Why can't people understand that? Why can't people be responsible for their own actions and have the maturity to control themselves?

I fully agree. I think I might be confusing some of you here- I'm not condoning at all what he did. He made a terribly stupid decision and paid the ultimate consequence for it. That's my point of view. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't see the need for an angry backlash- "justice" has been served, so to speak.

Instead of anger and judgment, this story should serve as a tragic example of what happens when you are irresponsible with drinking.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 29):

No you don't. You decide BEFORE hand. You do the math - when does it become possible for me to be intoxicated - when is the earliest it could become apparent. You familiarize yourself with that, then set a limit WELL below that level if you are driving or there is the slightest possibility you will be driving. Then, you stick with that limit, period.

Certainly. I do that as well; I am quite familiar with my upper limit and the amount that makes me start feeling any effect. That's what should have happened here.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 31):

Getting drunk and then getting behind the wheel of a car with a passenger is about as malicious as you can get.

Fine. What I meant to say was that there was no malice aforethought here. He didn't say, "I'm gonna kill someone tonight!"

And if Ryan lived and that pax died, he wouldn't be charged with 1st degree murder, he would be charged with negligent or vehicular homicide which is under the general category of manslaughter.

Fine, if you want to play that card, then take MY judgment for it. I've drank way too much, I've driven drunk way too much. I was a complete and utter idiot - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I could have killed people; I could have killed myself.

It was absolutely idiotic and completely irresponsible. And I was simply lucky that nothing bad ever happened.

Happy now?

Yes. But you aren't a bad person for having done what you did (even if something worse had happened). You learned a lesson, and changed for the better.

Yes, it does. I can't think of a better term, except perhaps dumbass.

He made an idiotic decision. It's different. You aren't an idiot for making a bad decision in your life and neither am I. His bad decision (and his passenger's) just happened to be much worse, and he paid the ultimate price.

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 32):

I see the point you are trying to make about mistakes but those points shouldnt be used in favour of an argument for a drunk driver.

Absolutely. I hope everyone reading understands I'm not defending him. He did the wrong thing here, he made the wrong decision. I absolutely do not contest that at all.

Quoting N6238P (Reply 33):
Compared to the other guys from the CKY crew, he seemed like the one that was the most down to earth and not in love with himself.

Very true, he always seemed the most grounded of the guys and that made him probably the most relatable to me.

Quoting n229nw (Reply 35):
I am not attacking you, San747, I just don't like it when people make light of drunk driving by saying "it could happen to anyone"--that's not so different from saying, "ooh, he was pissed off that his girlfriend was with a new guy, so he got wasted and shot her, oh well, he was drunk and passionate...could happen to anyone..." etc.

Yeah, I see that point. I think I phrased my original comments in a way that sounded like I was defending what he did, which is probably what set you and other posters off. My point of view is that we should take this story as a somber reminder of what can happen if you aren't careful, which I think gets lost when we just instantly start on about how stupid he was for making that bad decision.

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 32):

People say dont judge but this is the exact thing you should judge, When morons act like morons and endager innocent people they should be judged for what they are.

But what does judging in this case accomplish? The man is DEAD. Nothing worse can happen to him. Judging him and condemning him may have been appropriate if he had lived, but he didn't. He paid the ultimate price, suffered the worst possible consequence for what he did. There is no point to condemning him at this point except to fulfill one's need to beat one's chest.

Like I said above, what happened last night should be taken as another reminder of what can happen when you drink and drive. Who knows? I like to look at the positive in every situation- maybe a drunk-driving death among a relatively well-known entertainer (to my generation, those born in the mid 80s- early 90s) might really drive the point home. Maybe kids in high school or college who think they can get away with it will look at this and think twice.

If that ends up being Ryan Dunn's legacy, more than his Jackass stunts, then I think that would accomplish more than just saying the guy's an idiot.
Scotty doesn't know...

stasisLAX

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:38 am

He was driving 100 PLUS miles per hour down a road that is KNOWN for being deadly - in fact, he seems to have missed an off ramp (to Route 100) and drove through a METAL guardrail (the speed limit is 50 mph-ish on the Route 322 bypass - I used to live in West Chester, PA - as I went to college there) and parts of his Porsche 911 were found 40 yards into the wood - the car was broken into 7 pieces and then burst into flames. For a guy that spent 10 years doing death-defying stunts, this was a stupid way to die.

This wasn't drunk driving - this was recklessness beyond belief. The passenger's family will get a massive settlement for the wrongful death suit. And maybe the Porsche was getting even with "Well Dunn" for the stunt where he shoved Hot Wheels toy cars up his a$$....
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

BOStonsox

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 am

It's very tragic indeed, as is any death, idiotic or not.

Anyone else find it wierd that there is more talk about this celebrity death than Clarence Clemons (Bruce Springteen's saxophone player) on Saturday? Certainly the death of a well-known musician of natural causes deserves as much mention (if not more) than the guy from Jackass dying from being a jackass.
2013 World Series Champions!

san747

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 am

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 38):

Anyone else find it wierd that there is more talk about this celebrity death than Clarence Clemons (Bruce Springteen's saxophone player) on Saturday? Certainly the death of a well-known musician of natural causes deserves as much mention (if not more) than the guy from Jackass dying from being a jackass.

I was thinking of starting a thread about him, but I've been busy over the last 3 days. I was sad to hear about his death, he was a great saxophonist.
Scotty doesn't know...

Flighty

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:38 am

Unfortunately, he was not responsible with his drinking, and he lost his life and another person's, which is very sad and senseless.

If you get in a Porsche with a star of Jackass who is obviously wasted, that's on you IMO. I mean, she was risking her own life, in a way.

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 38):
Certainly the death of a well-known musician of natural causes deserves as much mention (if not more) than the guy from Jackass dying from being a jackass.

Probably Clemons died of natural causes and this dude drove his Porsche into the forest with a woman in it and they burst into flames. That's not to say Clemons wasn't a more beloved celebrity. They were both loved I think.

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:36 am

Quoting san747 (Reply 36):

Yes. But you aren't a bad person for having done what you did (even if something worse had happened). You learned a lesson, and changed for the better.

Actually, I certainly was a bad person.

I willingly risked the life of others, without any reason and with no way for them to prevent it. I'd consider that something a bad person does.

Yes, I had issues that needed to be sorted out. But that doesn't absolve me from responsibility. I had to learn how to be a good person again.

That's not saying you can't change. I never said that, nor do I believe it.

Quoting san747 (Reply 36):
He made an idiotic decision. It's different. You aren't an idiot for making a bad decision in your life and neither am I. His bad decision (and his passenger's) just happened to be much worse, and he paid the ultimate price.

Getting drunk, getting behind the wheel with a passenger, driving 100+ mph.....Sorry, that's an idiot. Even without the crash.

Like I said earlier, the only reason something didn't happen to me was dumb luck. There are certain risks you pretty much have to take in life. To me, drunk driving with a passenger at 100+ mph is not one of them.

garpd

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

Jackass by name, Jackass by nature it would seem.
No excuses for driving drunk. I have no sympathy towards him, but plenty for his family and those of his victim. They'll be going through a tough time. I speak from experience sadly.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

YYZflyer

Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Well it looks like the WBC is at it again, they're picketing Ryan Dunn's funeral.  http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/westb...t-church-plans-to-picket-ryan-dunn
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

alberchico

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Anybody catch what Roger Ebert said about the accident ?

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/...ryan_dunn_drunk_driving_tweet.html

The guy is right but now is not a good time to say it......
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 43):
Well it looks like the WBC is at it again, they're picketing Ryan Dunn's funeral. http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/westb...t-church-plans-to-picket-ryan-dunn

I pray that the CKY boys will do something, maybe a stunt to these people. It would be sweet to see.
Go big or go home

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 44):

All the insensitive sh*t Bam Margera has said and done over the years, and this is his response:

"I just lost my best friend," Margera tweeted late Monday night. "I have been crying hysterical for a full day and piece of s*** roger ebert has the gall to put in his 2 cents... Millions of people are crying right now, shut your fat f****** mouth!"

I understand one could say "bad timing" on Ebert's response. But really, is he wrong?

If it winds up not being drunk driving, then he can eat his words. And like I said in another thread, anything is badly timed if someone decides to be offended.

aa61hvy

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 46):
All the insensitive sh*t Bam Margera has said and done over the years, and this is his response:

Pretty sure Bam wasn't dancing on anyone's grave. I expected more from you, dude.
Go big or go home

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 44):

Yep stupid move, the guy was clearly wrong but let him at least get buried.

vikkyvik

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:33 am

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 47):

Pretty sure Bam wasn't dancing on anyone's grave. I expected more from you, dude.

Sorry to let you down.   Let me see if I can clarify a bit more:

I don't read Ebert's quote as dancing on Dunn's grave. Sure, I could say it was ill-timed, but at the end of the day, I'm not offended by it.

To be honest, I have no idea why Bam Margera or anyone else connected to the whole thing gives a rodent's posterior what Roger Ebert (or anyone else) has to say.

Now, to be perfectly fair, I don't know why Ebert decided to post that publicly either. But this is the internet, after all.....

Look, I have to be as indiscriminatory as I can in certain views - one of them being that people are WAY too quick to get offended at anything and everything. Everyone has an opinion, most of them suck (including mine), so why get bothered?

Hell, someone could call out Bam for telling Ebert to shut his "fat f**king mount" - the guy had part of his jaw removed, can't speak, can't eat or drink, etc., and is probably not too far from dying.

I wouldn't have said what Ebert said, but I'm not going to pretend I'm offended or outraged by it either.