Dreadnought
Topic Author

Dutch Courts: Geert Wilders Acquitted

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:33 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13883331

Excellent news.

[Edited 2011-06-23 05:55:48]
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Superfly

RE: Doutch Courts: Geert Wilders Acquitted

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Thread starter):
Excellent news.

Glad to see some sanity being restored in an E.U. nation.
Geert Wilders has my support and I'm glad he was acquitted. It's a shame that he had to stand trail in the first place.
Bring back the Concorde

travelavnut

RE: Dutch Courts: Geert Wilders Acquitted

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
Excellent news.

Glad to see some sanity being restored in an E.U. nation.

Although I don't support his political views I am very happy with this. Freedom of expression should prevail everything else, even decency and religion.
Live From Amsterdam!

garpd

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Excellent news.
I might find his views a bit strong at times, but he certainly should be allowed to say what a lot of people are thinking.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

slider

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:16 pm

A victory for individual liberty!

And, bear in mind, the fight ahead will be long and grueling. What he said was correct. People need to start defending freedom of speech and liberty and fight to defend the West.

imiakhtar

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 2):
Although I don't support his political views I am very happy with this.

Agreed. Further to this, he should not have been banned from the UK.

Quoting garpd (Reply 3):
what a lot of people are thinking.

Enlighten me. What are a lot of people thinking?

Quoting slider (Reply 4):
People need to start defending freedom of speech and liberty and fight to defend the West.

From who? Zee Germans? The Reds?
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

travelavnut

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Quoting imiakhtar (Reply 5):

Quoting garpd (Reply 3):
what a lot of people are thinking.

Enlighten me. What are a lot of people thinking?

A lot of Dutch people fear Islam. Also there is talk of Sharia law being used in disputes between immigrants, a very bad development if you ask me. If I move to Morocco I wil adhere to their laws, I will not try to bring my own set of laws.

Now I live in one of the neighbourhoods in Amsterdam (and the Netherlands for that matter) with the highest concentration of Moroccan muslims and I partially agree. A lot of these people despise Western values, the parents don't talk Dutch (or English) and a lot of them teach their children our morals are depicable and we are in fact pigs. (and that's quite the insult coming from a muslim).

Also crime numbers clearly show that Moroccan youth (which are almost all Muslim) account for a large chunck of crime in the large cities. A fact that I can personally confirm. This is all in Wilders favor of course.

Wilders claims Islam in general has one goal and one goal only: world domination.

I think a few Muslims think that way, most of them just wanna live out their lives. But I do think the small radical part is really dangerous for our society (one just has to look at the carnage in NYC, Spain, UK, etc).

The fact that Wilders is heavily protected makes his own point IMHO. And to answer your question; yes he is saying what a lot of people are thinking concerning Islam. And of course he should be able to voice these thoughts.
Live From Amsterdam!

travelavnut

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Quoting imiakhtar (Reply 5):
Quoting travelavnut (Reply 2):
Although I don't support his political views I am very happy with this.

Agreed. Further to this, he should not have been banned from the UK.

that was indeed a disgrace
Live From Amsterdam!

Dreadnought
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 6):

Wilders claims Islam in general has one goal and one goal only: world domination.

I think a few Muslims think that way, most of them just wanna live out their lives. But I do think the small radical part is really dangerous for our society (one just has to look at the carnage in NYC, Spain, UK, etc).

And therein lies the problem. For many years, we have been told that radical islam only represents a tiny minority of Muslims. But in recent polls in the UK, some 30-40% of muslims say that they agree with the idea of violent jihad, and would like to see Sharia law imposed in their country. Ask the same question in Pakistan and other muslim countries those percentages go even higher. Sorry, but anyone who supports those beliefs IS a radical, and a danger to civilized society.

They may be minorities, but there is nothing "tiny" about it. Wilders' point is that this is not some radical offshoot of Islam that obeys rules and laws that are not in the Quran, but that the Quran actually explicitly orders such radicalism. I don't pretend to be an authority, but from what I have read of the Quran and from my understanding of the order in which it was written and the Islamic law of Abrogation, I think Wilders is probably right.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

imiakhtar

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm

A lot of Dutch people fear Islam.

The fear is generally fueled by ignorance.

Also there is talk of Sharia law being used in disputes between immigrants, a very bad development if you ask me.

In the UK, it is not unusual for muslim, jewish, sikh, hindu or any other community to settle civil disputes via religious/cultural code. This is permitted within the realms of English law. I have little issue with this.

If I move to Morocco I wil adhere to their laws, I will not try to bring my own set of laws.

Absolutely. Law of the land takes priority. However, if the mechanisms exist (as above) and are limited to civil not criminal cases then there should be no issue.

A lot of these people despise Western values, the parents don't talk Dutch (or English) and a lot of them teach their children our morals are depicable and we are in fact pigs. (and that's quite the insult coming from a muslim).

Also crime numbers clearly show that Moroccan youth (which are almost all Muslim) account for a large chunck of crime in the large cities. A fact that I can personally confirm.

This is an issue for most of Western Europe. Most countries/communities have done a piss-poor job of integration. Many cities will have ghettos that are composed solely of immigrants. They'll have their own schools, shops, GPs, hospitals etc. A piece of "home" in a foreign land. Of course this just feeds the cycle.

In this regard, our American friends do seem to have a leg up on us. Their melting pot works. Ours doesn't

Communities and politicians need to do more to encourage mixing and integration. Following the race riots in the UK, a whole new grass roots approach was needed. Baby steps at first such as inter-city football leagues (sports fantastic for breaking down barriers). This was soon taken to the next step with new school academies that were more mixed. Of course, for any lasting effect, this has to be sustained for many years before you see the results.

He's right. We're after your women!  
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

AGM100

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Excellent news.

It is good news , now if he can keep his head attached and not get his throat slashed he should be fine !.

Interesting article ... I agree with him and I have felt the same way when in Muslim countries. Its always someone else's fault ... just like libs.!

http://www.geertwilders.nl/index.php...tion=com_content&task=view&id=1702
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

travelavnut

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting imiakhtar (Reply 9):
In this regard, our American friends do seem to have a leg up on us. Their melting pot works. Ours doesn't

Absolutely!! A lot of Dutch, including myself, have loud opinions about certain aspects of American society but if there's one thing we should take a lesson from it is the way Americans handle immigrants.

You can keep your culture, believes, whatever. But learn English, respect the law and make sure you get an income.

In the Netherlands during the 60s, 70s and 80s we made government brochures in every imaginable language, people didn't have to learn the language and few did. Now we have 3rd generations immigrants that at home live in their own little culture. Parents don't speak Dutch, so parent-teacher meetings are almost impossible and if the police visits the son usually translates. The son is often the problem so you can guess how that pans out.

It's our own fault and Wilders almost seems like a logical result of the discontent about the our own failed immigration policies. Like I said, I don't share a lot of his views, but he should have complete freedom to express them. Unless they directly call for violence or hate.

[Edited 2011-06-23 10:16:13]
Live From Amsterdam!

travelavnut

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Also there is talk of Sharia law being used in disputes between immigrants, a very bad development if you ask me.

In the UK, it is not unusual for muslim, jewish, sikh, hindu or any other community to settle civil disputes via religious/cultural code. This is permitted within the realms of English law. I have little issue with this.
Absolutely. Law of the land takes priority. However, if the mechanisms exist (as above) and are limited to civil not criminal cases then there should be no issue.

Well if you can settle a neighbour dispute without going to court and not in violation of the law, than I guess it isn't a big deal. But I was thinking more about cases concerning marriage, divorce and custody. Although I'm no law or sharia expert I had the impression that these would also fall under sharia (or jewish, etc)

He's right. We're after your women!  

Damn, I knew it!!  
Live From Amsterdam!

lewis

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 11):
You can keep your culture, believes, whatever. But learn English, respect the law and make sure you get an income.

Actually no, nobody forces a newcomer to learn English in the US. You can get every document in most languages and if you can get a job where they don't require you to speak English, you are set.

As for the American melting pot, I see the same thing I see in Europe regarding different ethnic groups. Each have their own area where they live (not sure if ghetto is appropriate) for the most part, but to think that all racial groups walk hand in hand and celebrate their diversity is just silly. Some do and some don't, just like in Europe.

travelavnut

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 13):

Actually no, nobody forces a newcomer to learn English in the US. You can get every document in most languages and if you can get a job where they don't require you to speak English, you are set.

If that's the case I stand corrected.
Live From Amsterdam!

aloges

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:40 pm

I think the "salad bowl" metaphor is much closer to the truth than the melting pot. It says that all the groups/ingredients are together and influence one another, but retain their individual characteristics and identities. That stands for integration rather than assimilation.

Anyway, this verdict isn't as much of a victory for freedom of speech as it is one for Geert Wilders and his ideology. It would be great to discuss the religious issues he thrives on, but when he starts off by comparing the holy book of Islam to "Mein Kampf", any opportunity for that is lost. He's just an attention-seeking loudmouth who's discovered an issue that will gain him popularity:

Quoting garpd (Reply 3):
I might find his views a bit strong at times, but he certainly should be allowed to say what a lot of people are thinking.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 pm

This is an issue for most of Western Europe. Most countries/communities have done a piss-poor job of integration. Many cities will have ghettos that are composed solely of immigrants. They'll have their own schools, shops, GPs, hospitals etc. A piece of "home" in a foreign land. Of course this just feeds the cycle.

A hundred (100) years ago you would have been correct. But the United States now has the same problems with immigrants as the Europeans do. They claim to come in search of a better life. Then as soon as they get here try to make their new home just like the one that just left.

CrimsonNL

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Even though I don't support much of Mr Wilders' thoughts, I'm happy he won the case!

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

DeltaMD90

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 pm

I hope the US and the EU can come together and work to solve OUR immigrant problems. There are many similarities, so why not put our heads together? Better than it has been lately, the US criticizing the EU's take and vice versa. Funny how similar our goals are but how much we still bicker
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

2707200X

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 pm

I am sure if Geert Wilders made anti-Semitic or anti-Christian instead of anti-Muslim comments most conservatives would sing a different song and denounce him as a hate monger.

I am glad Wilders got acquitted, any free society should not incarcerate a person for being out spoken on his or her beliefs.

Geert Wilders is no different than many of the Muslim radicals that he denounces and those who threaten Israel's existence, he incites violence and hate like they do and spreads misinformation and out right lies like they do. A rotten Apple by any other name is a rotten apple. You can't fight intolerance with intolerance and win the battle of ideas in the long run and that goes for all hate for the sake of hate mongers everywhere. If you want to win the war of ideas you have to be bigger than they are and not play to their level.

[Edited 2011-06-23 12:50:56]
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
I hope the US and the EU can come together and work to solve OUR immigrant problems. There are many similarities, so why not put our heads together? Better than it has been lately, the US criticizing the EU's take and vice versa. Funny how similar our goals are but how much we still bicker

The solution is simple "enforce the laws that are all ready on the books"!

If you are in the country illegally you should be sent back. It works in the US in works in the EU.

Every country should (MUST) be allowed to establish its own boarders and control who enters.

DeltaMD90

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 20):

In theory, yes, but you see how it really is. My main point was cooperation, how many threads bashing the US's immigration have we seen, now the EU is having similar problems. Just like the Dems and Reps should work together more, I think the US and EU should instead of this strange hatred we seem to be forming for each other. Kumbaya, I know lol
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

ltbewr

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:56 am

I find it interesting that in Europe, that they have a number of laws restricting speech that cannot be in the USA. The only real rule in the USA is if you encourage or threaten acts of violence at to a particular group of people due to their gender preference, faith, ethnicity, skin color, legal status in the USA or against the President or top government officials. We have by some measures, 1000 or more 'hate groups', and millions with strong views as to certain others, but that is tolerated to some extent (as often noted here, like with the Phelps family Westboro Baptist Church group protesting at funerals of military persons).

Of course in Europe, they have good reason to temper speech, especially that supporting Nazism, but at times, they do things that from a USA view find foolish, wrong or even hypocritical. In France, they want to restrict or ban the wearing of the 'burka' for Muslim women or of a Christian cross on a necklace if work in a government office. In Germany, especially in Bavaria, they have Christian crosses in public schoolrooms but also have tried to keep out Scientology as a faith group.

The best thing to do with hate speechers like Wilders and the like is to ignore them, get the media to ignore them or only show them in the worst way.

lewis

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 22):

Things do run differently across the Atlantic. But, the US also has laws that Europeans find weird. What I always found weird was hate crimes and how one-sided they are. If the perpetrator is white and the victim part of a minority, it is automatically a hate crime, if its the other way around it is not. Does this mean that it is made out of "love" if it is the other way around or that members of minorities are never taken over by racism/prejudice against other groups?

In France, they want to restrict or ban the wearing of the 'burka' for Muslim women or of a Christian cross on a necklace if work in a government office.

This whole thing started because some new members of our societies started being offended by everything having to do with the local established religions. Due to equality, everything then had to go so as not to give the impression that the state favors a specific religion. The burka is a completely different thing because it involves security and the need in western society to be able to identify someone by any physical characteristic.

n229nw

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 19):

I am glad Wilders got acquitted, any free society should not incarcerate a person for being out spoken on his or her beliefs.

I believe in free speech, and am in that sense "glad" that the principle is upheld. Even jackasses like Wilders need to be protected under this law.

I am sure if Geert Wilders made anti-Semitic or anti-Christian instead of anti-Muslim comments most conservatives would sing a different song and denounce him as a hate monger.

Exactly. Of course this is true. That's the level on which it bothers me.

Quoting aloges (Reply 15):
He's just an attention-seeking loudmouth who's discovered an issue that will gain him popularity:

All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

washingtonian

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:01 am

Absolutely!! A lot of Dutch, including myself, have loud opinions about certain aspects of American society but if there's one thing we should take a lesson from it is the way Americans handle immigrants.

Out of curiosity, what aspects of American culture do you feel so strongly about?

travelavnut

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:26 am

I find it interesting that in Europe, that they have a number of laws restricting speech that cannot be in the USA. The only real rule in the USA is if you encourage or threaten acts of violence at to a particular group of people due to their gender preference, faith, ethnicity, skin color, legal status in the USA or against the President or top government officials. We have by some measures, 1000 or more 'hate groups', and millions with strong views as to certain others, but that is tolerated to some extent (as often noted here, like with the Phelps family Westboro Baptist Church group protesting at funerals of military persons).

I must say I think the way freedom of speech is done in the US is really good. Even idiots like the WBC should be able to picket and voice their (sometimes demented) believes. And than you have this counter organisations like the Patriot Guard Riders that oppose the WBC just by having a presence at the picket site.

A lot of emotions, but from my perspective not a lot of violence.

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 25):
Out of curiosity, what aspects of American culture do you feel so strongly about?

Things like the lack of universal health care and when I'm in the US I'm always baffled by the media, but that's for another thread. And strongly is perhaps the wrong expression, it's more a "what on earth are they doing over there?" sentiment. Although I am very sure those sentiments go both ways. Like the quote below
Of course in Europe, they have good reason to temper speech, especially that supporting Nazism, but at times, they do things that from a USA view find foolish, wrong or even hypocritical.

In the Netherlands it is still illegal to denounce the holocaust. I had a discussion with my dad about this. He supports this, because from his perspective it is still a very touchy subject. But I think that although denouncing the Holocaust shows a serious lack of inteligence, it is still a mere opinion. Ergo, you should be able to voice it.

But the acquitting of Wilders is a good step in a good direction.
Live From Amsterdam!

windy95

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

Excellent news.

Yes it is..

The fact that Wilders is heavily protected makes his own point IMHO. And to answer your question; yes he is saying what a lot of people are thinking concerning Islam. And of course he should be able to voice these thoughts.

Good post

A lot of Dutch people fear Islam.

The fear is generally fueled by ignorance

No it is fueled by fact.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 16):
A hundred (100) years ago you would have been correct. But the United States now has the same problems with immigrants as the Europeans do. They claim to come in search of a better life. Then as soon as they get here try to make their new home just like the one that just left.

Yes we are being turned into a third world nation.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 18):
EU can come together and work to solve OUR immigrant problems

We do not have a immigrant problem...WE have an illegal alien problem.

flyAUA

Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Most countries/communities have done a piss-poor job of integration.

I must agree! First they let them in and give them all the jobs none of the locals want to have, and then complain that they are not properly integrated.

The solution would be to only allow immigrants to stay if they have properly completed an integration process. And that includes not just learning a language and finding a job, but also learning the values of the country you are wanting to reside in. Failing this, there really is no point in opening your doors to everyone as it only leads to crime, hatred, disputes, ghettos, and ignorance.
Not drinking, also isn't a solution!

PanHAM

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm

From who? Zee Germans? The Reds?[/quote]

This is an issue for most of Western Europe. Most countries/communities have done a piss-poor job of integration. Many cities will have ghettos that are composed solely of immigrants.

I completely disagree. One can lead a horse to the water but it must drink itself.

Most European countries offer all what it needs to integrate into the society but they cannot force people to accept all what is offered. No one is forced to live in a certain area, if there are "ghettos" than possibly because some ethnics want to stay with their peers where they have all the amenities they have at home and don't even need to learn the local language. Don't blame the guest countries of that.

Language is a major factor of integration and that is possibly the answer why integration works a bit better in the UK than elsewhere. English is already the lingua france. However, when immigrants don't take the offers of free language courses, we cannot force them.

There are immigrants who perfecty blend into their new environment and others who don't. Wilders has identified a certain religion that keeps some of their followers from integrating and he certainly has made a point. Highlighting facts is not racism and has to be tolerated in an open society, like it or not. Denying the fact that 6 million jews have been murdered is not covered by freedom of speech, hence any comparisons are not legitimate.

There was no other possible outcome of the trial which indeed never should have taken place.
powered by Eierlikör

AGM100

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:03 pm

am sure if Geert Wilders made anti-Semitic or anti-Christian instead of anti-Muslim comments most conservatives would sing a different song and denounce him as a hate monger.

Maybe so ... but we don't want him sent to jail for it. Their is plenty of voices who Sympathize with Muslims anyway ... they play into the victimization of the poor Muslims by Capitalists and imperialist . They are feeding the snake in the bed ... and one day they will realize it.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 29):
No one is forced to live in a certain area, if there are "ghettos" than possibly because some ethnics want to stay with their peers where they have all the amenities they have at home and don't even need to learn the local language. Don't blame the guest countries of that.

Especially in socialist countries ... it is pure insanity to keep adding to the roles of non educated non productive people. The ghettos fill ... the youth angers, and the fires start..

racko

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 30):
Especially in socialist countries

Name a socialist country in the European Union.

travelavnut

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Denying the fact that 6 million jews have been murdered is not covered by freedom of speech, hence any comparisons are not legitimate

Just to be clear; I wasn't comparing denouncing the holocaust with the statements of Wilders, I was illustrating the difference in freedom of speech laws between the US and the Netherlands.
Live From Amsterdam!

AGM100

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Quoting racko (Reply 31):
Name a socialist country in the European Union

Well call it what you want ... States with high social spending for the welfare of all. It works until the tax payers stop carrying rocks up the hill.

aloges

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:33 pm

I completely disagree. One can lead a horse to the water but it must drink itself.

It's an unfortunate metaphor because immigrants from southern Europe have often been abused like workhorses, but I'll continue with it for the moment: the water that migrants are led to, if they're led at all, often has much in common wit these bodies of water. It is of course a challenge to adapt to a foreign country. But you can only succeed if, to introduce another metaphor, the welcome party doesn't have its arms crossed.

Latent xenophobia, a sense of superiority and a complete and utter lack of intercultural intelligence are sadly very common in this country of mine - and I'm sure, alas, many others as well. So migrants end up unwelcome in their chosen homes and scorned in their ancestral ones, for their apparent lack of success.

Integration can only work if there is openness to the newcomers. It's also a slow, often immeasurable and always individual process which is why it's such a popular target for demagogues and phrasemongers. Everyone knows or knows about an immigrant who isn't fully integrated, so surely this must be due to his lack of will to integrate?

Finally, I have yet to find a way to melt the many individual cultures of Germany down into one dull and boring hunk of customs and traditions that you can put in a leaflet and give to immigrants as an essay they must learn by heart. Fortunately, cultural diversity is very much alive and kicking and only increased by immigration - for better and, since all things have a flip side, for worse as well.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ozglobal

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:14 pm

First of all, I want to say that people are people first, whatever their religion is and nothing can change the intrinsic equality of human dignity.

That said, when it comes to problems of Islam, we are often told that it is not Islam as a system that is the problem but radicalization.

What is this 'radicalization?? The etymology of the word 'radical' relates to going to the 'root' of the matter. If you ask me to name a 'radical christian' I would think of Mother Teresa. To radicalize, in the neutral sense of the word should mean to 'intensify' and to take to the roots of the values of the system. If you become 'radically' Islamic, why should that mean you become violent against non-adherents, unless that were an intrinsic part of the value system?

Christianity has over time and in the first place, produced the notion of equality of human dignity and the freedom of conscience that stems from this status. Islam has not yet adopted this doctrine, but attaches no specific rights to conscience nor therefore non-adherents of Islam.

It is hard to ignore the fact that radicalization of adherents of Islam leads to something we universally condemn (I hope): violence against innocent non-Muslims.

Therefore, the 'non-radical' adherents of the system that is Islam must develop a theology supporting the absolute dignity the human person and the freedom of conscience and vigorously defend this in the face of Islamic terrorism and militancy. Otherwise we have no choice to conclude that Islam as a system has intrinsically in its core the seeds of violence against non-adherents and, accordingly, an agenda of global domination. Please prove me wrong !
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

PanHAM

Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:42 am

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 32):

Just to be clear; I wasn't comparing denouncing the holocaust with the statements of Wilders, I was illustrating the difference in freedom of speech laws between the US and the Netherlands.

Of course, I did not even reflect on your posting, just a general remark.

Quoting aloges (Reply 34):
It's an unfortunate metaphor because immigrants from southern Europe have often been abused like workhorses

Good morning Gutmensch. Germany is a free country and people get paid for their work. Unfortunately, some illegal immigrants - we have them as ´most countries in Europe have and in Asia and America - are abused by their fellow countrymen who bring them into the countries for work and abuse them by cheating on their wages. That is the reality.

I don't know if you have lived in anotrher country, I have. It is up to the person to integrate, no one else. We do not force anyone to anything here, if you want to form a separate society in a society, the state can do little against it. These are facts and there is mno xenophobia when facts are laid on the table.

We have immigrants who perfectly blend into the society and we have others who don't. It is also a fact that most of those who do not blend into a society worship a certain religion. This is a a phenomena which exists not only in Germany but the world over. We had a conference yesterday again with the Minister for the Interior in Germany and Muslim leaders. There is an article in FAZ today which was online already yesterday. Title "on a tea with the Imam." A reader made a very good comment in the online forum saying "Integration would be ""on a beer with the Imam"" ".

Reality is also that those muslims who care a bit less about their religion are very much integrated, highly educated and valid members of the society. Unfortunately we lose some of them because they see better opportunities in Turkey these days. Germany is an open country, the problem we have with immigration is that we have too many uneducated peasants. There are countries avoiding that problem by setting the hiurdles high. Australia, Canada and the USA require skills or money or both to allow peoople to immigrate. We just accept people to come here and go into the welfare system. Integration is hardly possible that way.