kiwiandrew

Why Is It "the 4th Of July", Not July 4th?

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:09 am

As per numerous other threads the US uses MM/DD/YYYY unlike most of the rest of us who use DD/MM/YYYY. The purpose of this thread is not to re-hash that particular issue or whether one format is inherently better than the other.

Recently it occurred to me that Americans tend to say "the 4th of July" when referring to their national day , based on their usual format I would have expected it to be referred to as "July 4th".

Does it strike anyone else as odd that Americans should refer to this date of all dates in such an "un-American" way?

Sorry if there have been previous threads on this, I tried a search and came up with nothing , but as we all know the search function can be a bit erratic.

Airstud

RE: Why Is It "the 4th Of July", Not July 4th?

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:17 am

"Fourth of July" just sounds more dramatic than "July 4th." It's more lyrical, and has more cadence, more oomph.

Therefore that is how it became the more popular articulation.

(Someone once asked a visting Briton, "Do they have a Fourth of July in England?" He replied, "Yes we do, but we don't celebrate it.")
Pancakes are delicious.

LAXintl

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:22 am

Pretty simple as I understand it.

"the Fourth of July" is an event, Independence Day more specifically, while "July 4th" is simply a date.

Also from what I understand the name goes back to the 1800s when Congress declared the day a holiday and the legislation used the term "Fourth of July".
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DocLightning

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:12 am

Where I grew up, "July 4th" carried the same weight as "The 4th of July."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ltbewr

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Actually in the military in the USA, they use DD/MM/YYYY formats for dating in correspondence, records. Why we use the MM/DD/YYYY format is just one of those imponderables like why we have drivers sit on the left side of a car whilst you in the Brit based countries do so on the right.

As others noted, calling it 'the 4th of July' does give it a special meaning, it is also shorter to use than Independence Day and give note of what is the most important date in our nation's history. Other countries also use such date references to their Independence Day, days of critical battles in their history, ect, in street names or references to them.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:44 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Thread starter):
Does it strike anyone else as odd that Americans should refer to this date of all dates in such an "un-American" way?

Not at all!!!!

July 4th is the "date".

The 4th of July is the "holiday"

David_itl

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:48 pm

and the 2nd of July is the proper day to celebrate.

DeltaMD90

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:00 pm

It's American to do that (be extremely inconsistent)  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

kiwiandrew

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, I hadn't thought about using the format to distinguish the holiday from the date, but now that you say it, it makes sense ( sort of).

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:41 am

Also, wanting to emphasize the event by putting a "the" in front of it, it wouldn't work out the other way round: "the July 4th" doesn't sound right...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself