ALTF4
Topic Author

Self Gloss: First Solo!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:19 am

Alright, alright. I know - plenty of ya'll fly turboprops and jets and smile with a hint of distaste for us that fly the meager Cessnas, but still, thought I'd post this.

Flew my first solo today. Pretty uneventful. The 'pre-solo' flight with my instructor (you know, the one where he makes sure I didn't forget everything) just barely bumped me just past 10 hours logged time, total. Been learning at a fairly busy towered airport, which is great! ATC is pretty nice, and I always had 2+ other planes in the pattern with me during my solo.

Landings could have been better, but they were alright. A 172S sure floats a bit more when the instructor hops out!

Anyway, queue the cargo bay pictures.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

SmithAir747

RE: Self Gloss: First Solo!

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:26 am

Let me be the first to congratulate you!   

Cessnas are just as good, and can be fun to fly, as any other airplane. I flew a Cessna 172 seven years ago (when its pilot gave me the controls). Don't let anyone give you a rough time about a "lowly" Cessna!  

I am still dreaming of getting my PPL in the future, (yes, in a Cessna   ) when I get settled down somewhere and financially stable (right now I'm a graduate student).

Many happy flights in the future for you, and many safe landings!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Jetsgo

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:38 am

Really though, congrats!   
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AF340

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:03 am

Congrats! It will be exactly two years ago since my first solo on Monday, so you picked an excellent time!

The road to the PPL can be a tough one, but it is so very worth it.

Glad to hear it went off without a hitch, and that the landings were okay. I would have joined you up in the skies today had dispatch not lost the keys to the Warrior I was supposed to rent.

Quoting ALTF4 (Thread starter):
plenty of ya'll fly turboprops and jets and smile with a hint of distaste for us that fly the meager Cessnas, but still, thought I'd post this.

Yeah, those meager Cessna's... upgrade to Piper!

Anyway, congrats and good luck on the rest of your PPL!

connies4ever

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Thread starter):
Flew my first solo today. Pretty uneventful.

Congratulations ! I remember well my 1st solo some 35 years ago. I was pretty nervous, but overall it worked out well. Continue to fly right side up.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Type-Rated

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Congratulations!

It'll be 40 years since I soloed at 7 hours TT. I still remember the day. It was totally unexpected. When my instructor got out and said "take it around for 4 touch & go's" I noticed my legs were just shaking. The instructor came back to the plane, opened the door and said "and don't look so pitiful!" with a laugh and off I went. First thing I noticed was how much faster the C150 climbed with only one person in it.

Now you can get out away from the field and to the practice areas and have some real fun. Just be careful!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

dw747400

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Congrats! A big step and a moment you'll never forget.

Quoting AF340 (Reply 3):
Yeah, those meager Cessna's... upgrade to Piper!

Well, as the old saying goes: "I wanted to buy an airplane, but I couldn't afford one. So I bought a Piper instead."  .
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

Superfly

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 am

At first I thought it was a non-aviation solo.
I was expecting a guitar solo or you doing a whaling operatic vocal solo.
Congrats!   

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):

That was mean but hilarious!  
Bring back the Concorde