something
Topic Author

Tasers, use/policies throughout the world?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 am

Hey,

I'd like to get some international opinions in on the usage of tasers. At the time of their introduction, they were supposed to function as an alternative to using ammunition. Nowadays it seems, they've become an alternative to walking. I find it appalling how easily tasers are being used against innocent people and naturally, this subject is closely related to police brutality.

I guess I have just come across way too many youtube videos, news reports and articles in the paper on the matter. The straw that broke the camel's back was this video though

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a70_1304404473

The guy in the car isn't violent or aggressive, yet the ''I'll have to taser you'' line seems to be the go-to move of the cop in question. And it's really such a shame that 'bad apples' like him ruin the image of the entire police force and stain the uniform that his colleagues wear in pride, trying to actually serve and protect their communities. The fact that it's unlawful and should at the very least cost him his job goes without saying.

So what are your opinions/experiences? Are tasers legal in your country and has police brutality become a bigger problem, or have modern technologies (cam phones, internet, youtube etc.) just helped to shed light on something that's been going on for years?

P.S. Similar topics have existed in the past, but nothing as of late. If mods find this thread too much alike to old threads, feel free to delete.
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:19 am

I'm certainly glad our police force doesn't use tasers or else last summer we might have had plenty of tasered victims without reason.

The problem is not the taser: it's the person behind it. When you have many people just like the police officer who threaten to use it for no reason, that's when it becomes a problem. And unfortunately for us, our police force has tons of officers like that.

On a funny note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj9REaCzfFM
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

futureualpilot

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 am

I don't know the laws regarding signing a citation on the spot/refusing to do so, and/or if refusing to sign it constitutes an immediate need for the person to be arrested, and perhaps it varies with locale. Furthermore, what kind of moron drives without a seat belt on these days? Really? Is it that big of a surprise that you should buckle up?

That being said, it is amusing to me that the guy is willing to stand up to the cop until he mentions the word arrest then the guy can't back pedal enough. Furthermore, you honestly have a problem with the officer threatening to use the taser? He gives the guy plenty of warning, if he did choose to do something, the cop was likely covering his own rear end by warning him several times. Officers have to control the situation, be it a traffic stop, or something more immediately endangering. My dad's partner was killed during a routine traffic stop years ago, yet my dad survived several incidents that he probably shouldn't have walked away from. What you call "brutality" I see as an officer working to ensure the situation is under control. Yes, he could have handled it differently, but I don't know the laws, I don't know their procedures or policies, so I can't venture to guess how. I did notice the mention of using a taser did not occur until he asked the man a few times to step out of the vehicle, and the man failed to comply.

I'm not sure if you've ever worn a vest and gun and been asked to uphold the laws of the land, and deal with idiots and low lifes on a day to day basis, but until you have, you are not in any position to Monday morning QB what an officer does any more than I am to say what someone should have done, or said in a situation I've never been put in.

I personally have no issue with the use of tasers, or other non-lethal weapons. The whole point is to help the officer control a situation, or gain control without killing the person. If it gets to the point where a person is belIigerent or fighting back, things have already gone out of control. I remember when people pushed for more non-lethal weapons to be used, now suddenly they're too brutal? Give me a break. If you disagree with what is going on, or what an officer does, your best bet is to comply and have your day in court, like you are entitled to. That is what it is there for.

I understand there are bad apples in every department, in every city, in every state across the country but I don't think ill of the entire department or of police officers in general when I see one guy acting like a jerk or riding the power pony. I simply think he/she is probably not representative of their department.

[Edited 2011-07-17 18:41:07]

[Edited 2011-07-17 18:44:20]

[Edited 2011-07-17 18:44:46]
Life is better when you surf.

Maverick623

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:41 am

Quoting something (Thread starter):
The guy in the car isn't violent or aggressive

While I can't watch the video right now, that reasoning is extremely flawed by itself. Resisting is resisting... if the guy had to be put in handcuffs anyways, and he still refused, the cop would have to use some sort of force... and getting in a struggle puts the officer at risk of injury.

A taser is painful, yes, but it's no more dangerous to the suspect than applying pepper spray during a fight.

Are tasers legal in your country and has police brutality become a bigger problem

Tasers are pretty much standard issue in the US. I'm not going to answer the second question, as it is extremely loaded and will just lead to a flamefest.

the time of their introduction, they were supposed to function as an alternative to using ammunition.

Electrical stun guns have been around for decades, and were always used on or about the same level as pepper spray. The only difference now is the ability to use it from a distance... so yes, it is very effective for using it on someone with a knife, where as before the only other option was to use a firearm.

But in the US, they were never meant to be solely used for that.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

something
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 am

Hm, I'd take it even one step further and claim it's not necessarily the person behind it, but the courts themselves. Tasers were introduced as an alternative to using a gun. So what the cop in the video said was basically ''You get out of the car now, or I'll have no other choice but to shoot you.'' Not sure that's a very favorable light for the police to stand in.

Cops can carry tasers. But they should be held accountable for each and every time they use them and be prosecuted for every unlawful use.

I'm just shocked by such videos and it makes people think twice if they should really spend their next vacation in the USA where they may get grilled over nothing, or rather enjoy the beaches of Puerto Rico where they'll remain in peace?

Dreadnought

Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:55 am

Quoting something (Reply 4):
Hm, I'd take it even one step further and claim it's not necessarily the person behind it, but the courts themselves. Tasers were introduced as an alternative to using a gun.

It is not an alternative to a gun. It is a non-lethal weapon to subdue a subject. It's like a policeman's baton or nightstick. And using it on someone who is not a threat is assault. A gun is assault with a deadly weapon - a whole different kettle of fish.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

something
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 am

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 2):
what kind of moron drives without a seat belt on these days? Really? Is it that big of a surprise that you should buckle up?

While I'd agree with you on that, his behavior doesn't justify or necessitate the officer's reaction.

you honestly have a problem with the officer threatening to use the taser

Yes. The guy drove without a seatbelt on. That's a law to which there is a fine. And the officer is supposed to enforce that fine on the spot. Going to jail for refusing to sign a citation seems way out of line to me. What do you have left for rapists then, if you give away your hardest sentence to people who don't sign a $10 citation?

What you call "brutality" I see as an officer working to ensure the situation is under control.

I didn't call this particular incident 'brutal'. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant to say that the unlawful use of tasers is part of today's police brutality problem.

I'm not sure if you've ever worn a vest and gun and been asked to uphold the laws of the land, and deal with idiots and low lifes on a day to day basis

I have not. And I would be completely unsuitable to perform such a task. But because I know that, I don't even apply.

I simply think he/she is probably not representative of their department.

That is the hope. Yet, it does however color the image you have of them. Obviously, you can if you do everything the officer says, avoid getting tasered. But if the cop is overstepping his boundaries, and is asking me to do something he has no right to (like deleting pictures that I took legally), then there's bound to be friction. And the chance alone to end up violated and in jail, for having done nothing illegal is what actually frightens me. Not the use of tasers in their intended capacity.

And that's exactly my problem. America is legally built on a great foundation. You do have fantastic laws and some very competent judges there. But as comforting to know it may be that a cop like him will not get away with such misconduct, it doesn't really make the above described situation easier, where a cop asks you to do something you really don't have to do.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 3):
A taser is painful, yes, but it's no more dangerous to the suspect than applying pepper spray during a fight.

Nearly 700 people have died as a direct result of taser use since they've 'joined' the forces.

futureualpilot

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 am

Quoting something (Reply 6):
While I'd agree with you on that, his behavior doesn't justify or necessitate the officer's reaction.

Without knowing the local laws or procedures, I'm inclined to agree with you, but perhaps there is a law, or Department procedure to arrest someone who refuses to obey a command or perhaps they have to sign the citation, and refusal to do so steps into another law or territory of the law constituting apprehending the person. I just don't know.

Going to jail for refusing to sign a citation seems way out of line to me. What do you have left for rapists then, if you give away your hardest sentence to people who don't sign a $10 citation?

It may be extreme, but you'll have your day in court. Fight it then. For rapists? I'd just as soon have their genitals cut off sans pain killers and let them bleed out, or find a splintered piece of wood and let them take it where the sun doesn't shine. Or just drag their sorry rear end out back, put a bullet in their head and move on. We'd be better off without scum like that.

I didn't call this particular incident 'brutal'. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant to say that the unlawful use of tasers is part of today's police brutality problem.

No worries, I thought that might be what you mean but I didn't want to jump to conclusions or anything of the sort. I don't necessarily think their is a brutality problem, either. I do think that when it does occur, todays modern media devices and social networks make it far too easy for the snowball effect to take place. If it does happen, I should hope the officer is dealt with accordingly, be it fined, fired or thrown in jail themselves.

Yet, it does however color the image you have of them.

I don't think any less of the pilots at an airline if it has an accident or incident, I don't think less of one religion or another because a priest puts hands on a child or an extremist blows up innocents, etc. etc.

And the chance alone to end up violated and in jail, for having done nothing illegal is what actually frightens me. Not the use of tasers in their intended capacity.

Agreed, but let me know how arguing with a cop goes for you. Like them or not, your best bet is always going to be to comply and wait for your day in court. Justice may take time but your chance will come.

Nearly 700 people have died as a direct result of taser use since they've 'joined' the forces.

Tugger

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 am

Going to jail for refusing to sign a citation seems way out of line to me.

That's the whole point of having someone sign the ticket. By signing a ticket you are not agreeing that you did the action involved, rather by signing the person is committing to address the purpose of the ticket, either to show up in court or deal with it via the mail (how most are done nowadays). If you don't sign then the officer basically has to take you in so you can deal with the purpose of the ticket (if there wasn't a valid reason the officer would not issue a ticket) otherwise there is nothing the courts could do if you ignored them later as you have not signed and agreed to deal with the violation.

While I did not see a need for the officer to react the way he did (I would think the officer would just explain that the guy had a choice to either sign or why, if he did not sign, he would have to be taken in), but we did not see the first part of the ticket process so the driver may have already been told or done something earlier to elicit the reaction from the officer. Also it may have been a set up as the guy was filming the thing and may have wanted to defy the officer and not sign to see what he would do and "get it on tape" (so to speak).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Maverick623

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:47 am

Tasers were introduced as an alternative to using a gun.

No, they weren't. So you can stop with that comparison.

So what the cop in the video said was basically ''You get out of the car now, or I'll have no other choice but to shoot you.

No, he basically said "You're under arrest, so comply or I will make you comply".

I'm just shocked by such videos and it makes people think twice if they should really spend their next vacation in the USA where they may get grilled over nothing, or rather enjoy the beaches of Puerto Rico where they'll remain in peace?

You do realize Puerto Rico is part of the US? And that if you obey the law, you will be left in peace?

his behavior doesn't justify or necessitate the officer's reaction.

Yes, it does. Failing to comply with an officer's legal demands is called resisting. It's a crime.

That's a law to which there is a fine.

And so is:

refusing to sign a citation

Which is an arrestable offense.

I just meant to say that the unlawful use of tasers is part of today's police brutality problem.

And yet you have provided no evidence of unlawful taser use, other than your blind hatred for law enforcement.

And all 700 would have died in a conventional struggle. Your point is invalid.

einsteinboricua

RE: Tasers, Use/policies Throughout The World?

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:57 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 9):

You do realize Puerto Rico is part of the US? And that if you obey the law, you will be left in peace?

I assume he was referring to the fact that in PR there are no tasers (that I know of so far) so if you happen to do something that goes against the law, you'll probably be subdued by other methods. Pepper spray is a favorite as are water cannons.

That's not to say police brutality is rare. For more info, look up the student strike of 2010 (we're on Wikipedia as well).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Maverick623

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 am

I finally got home and was able to watch the video.

I see nothing wrong with what the cop did. The driver had shown his clear intent to give the cop a difficult time.

So, I'll say it again, on the record and per this video:

The guy in the car isn't violent or aggressive, yet the ''I'll have to taser you'' line seems to be the go-to move of the cop in question

You don't have to be violent or aggressive to be convicted of resisting and obstruction. In fact, most assaults against cops start out as passive resistance, and escalate when the suspect realizes he can't get away. There's a ton of videos where the second the cop says "step out of the car", the previously cordial driver floors it. Several times this has led to cops getting dragged hundreds of yards.

So yeah, when some smart-ass guy starts mouthing off and not being compliant, it raises enough red flags to where the officer will take preemptive measures to protect himself.

I also find it disgusting that you would accuse this officer of assault, and completely ignore the fact that the driver broke 3 laws: Not wearing a seatbelt, obstruction (for not signing the ticket), and resisting (for not getting out of the car when told to).

DeltaMD90

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Just watched it too... everything legal, but I think the cop should have been more lenient and professional.

But, when he initiated arrest, by all means, taser is used as a tool to comply (and oh boy does it hurt!)

OP, you need to research the difference between lethal and less than lethal force, at least in the US. Tasers and firearms are apples to oranges. You will NEVER see a situation where an officer can use a taser OR firearm interchangeably. If the suspect poses serious bodily harm or death to the officer or others, the firearm is always used (if not, the officer is WRONG.) Tasers are used for compliance, stopping a suspect from fleeing, etc, not something we use firearms for.

You can debate what is legal or right in your country, you are entitled to your opinion, but you cannot state that this officer was legally wrong, or tasers are interchangeable with firearms, etc. And once again, although the driver was a dick, I think the officer should have given *1* warning about going to jail. Had he done that, I would had no problems with what the officer did (judgmentally)
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Tugger

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm

No, he basically said "You're under arrest, so comply or I will make you comply".

Which, depending on how the person was acting prior to the point we see on the video, was not necessary based on what we see in the video. As I say, we don't know the full story, but just going off what we see, the officer did not NEED to react as he did. He could have simply explained that by signing the guy was not admitting guilt, he was merely promising to appear before the court if needed, and that if he did not sign then the officer would be obligated to take him in (under arrest). If the guy then refused to signed the ticket, after understanding the consequences of such an action, then yes, the what officer did would be appropriate. And again, it is very possible that the officer did explain all this prior to the start of the video.

refusing to sign a citation

Which is an arrestable offense.

Refusing to sign is *not* an "offense" for which one can be arrested. However, not signing can lead to being arrested because it is the only other option available (other than just throwing away the ticket which isn't going to happen).

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 11):
I finally got home and was able to watch the video.

I see nothing wrong with what the cop did. The driver had shown his clear intent to give the cop a difficult time.

I disagree, *based on what we see on the video* the driver merely stated he was not going to sign but then, when confronted with the consequences, signed immediately. That is not resisting, it maybe giving the officer a "difficult time" in some manner but "intent" can be ascribed be the actions that follow and it is obvious that the guy had no intention of "resisting".

I myself have not wanted to sign a ticket before and the officer talked to me about what it meant and what the options were. Nothing resisting, nothing escalating. Everything was good (and I did sign   ).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Aesma

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Police officers shooting their gun is extremely rare here in France, so yes the taser introduced some unfortunate "trigger happiness". But at least there is a camera on all tasers.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BMI727

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:56 pm

I personally have no issue with the use of tasers, or other non-lethal weapons. The whole point is to help the officer control a situation, or gain control without killing the person.

Same here. Tasers are great in situations where the alternative would generally be a physical altercation. A taser can diffuse a situation before it becomes a situation.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

something
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for your opinions so far.

I find it quite surprising, I want to say, how acceptive some people seem to be of authoritative force and ignore the most basic principles of a democracy. Luckily, US law is based on reason rather than on ''gut feelings'' and nothing of what some people here seem to be in favor of, is even anywhere near legality.

But as I said.. a law won't bring back any of the 700 lost lives. And even if I didn't die and did eventually manage to prove my case in court and was paid severance money.. I'd honestly much rather forgo such an experience in the first place, than going home with a couple thousand dollars in my pocket. Investigations against such criminals in uniforms should put these people out of duty quick and restore the immaculate reputation any police force should have.

Here's an example of how petty problems can be dealt with alternatively..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRTlrfTw0s&feature=related

Aggression is best be met with calmness. The cop understood the bad situation the driver was in, understood why he was angry but did his job in the most professional manner and wrote him a speeding ticket. He could have easily contributed to having this situation escalate but instead he defused it with zen-like calmness. What a great guy  

[Edited 2011-07-18 14:54:32]

futureualpilot

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Quoting something (Reply 16):
I find it quite surprising, I want to say, how acceptive some people seem to be of authoritative force and ignore the most basic principles of a democracy.

As law abiding citizens, why shouldn't we? What principles of democracy are at stake here? You seem to be already biased against officers and what they do to enforce the law, no matter what their actions are. Don't be so quick to point a finger, as others have illustrated you don't know what happened prior to the start of the video.

But as I said.. a law won't bring back any of the 700 lost lives.

What would you have the officers do? Let people do as they please, and shrug their shoulders when a crime occurs? If you choose to resist/interfere with an officer when they're trying to do their job, you have to be willing to accept the consequences of your action. Unfortunately, in extreme cases this can mean death. How many situations that would have ended with gunfire have been avoided by the use of tasers? I doubt you'll find a reliable figure, because it is probably too many to keep track of. Stop being a fear monger and think about the other side of the issue. This reminds me of someone who would call the fire department if your house was on fire, then whine about the water damage to your burned out house, or perhaps move under the approach or departure path of an airport then complain about noise. As citizens we've charged these men and women with enforcing the laws of the land. We have to defer to their better judgement and training and if we feel an injustice has occurred during the course of whatever events transpire, deal with it appropriately when the time arises.

Aggression is best be met with calmness. The cop understood the bad situation the driver was in, understood why he was angry but did his job in the most professional manner and wrote him a speeding ticket. He could have easily contributed to having this situation escalate but instead he defused it with zen-like calmness. What a great guy  

Here, I 100% agree with you, kill them with kindness always seems to work best. Unfortunately it doesn't always work. The situations could have been completely different before the videos started, too.

[Edited 2011-07-18 16:02:26]

Flighty

Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:38 am

"Officer, please don't tase me illegally. Or I will be forced to tase you back."

Maverick623

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 am

how acceptive some people seem to be of authoritative force and ignore the most basic principles of a democracy.

Neither the US nor the UK are a democracy. The US is a constituional republic, and the UK is a parliamentary monarchy. In fact, excluding the NSA and their dumb tricks, US citizens have FAR more rights than UK citizens. In the UK, you can be stopped and searched for absolutely no reason. In the US, probable cause is necessary to even initiate a stop... and believe when I say I'm against any abuse of that system.

But when probable cause is established, and someone is obviously committing a crime and then refuses commands, they deserve whatever it takes to get them to comply.

A decent society simply cannot exist without a balace of rule of law and individual rights. If you refuse authroitative force in the proper situations, you descend into anarchy.

TheCommodore

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 am

I'd like to get some international opinions in on the usage of tasers.

There have been many many problems with the usage of tasers in Australia.

A quick Google search brings up multiple pages of news reports, all to do with people dying as a result of being tasered, this, IMHO, is reason enough to ban any further use of them in Australia.

Australia’s first Taser death occurred in 2002 when a 56-year-old NSW man died 12 days after he was shocked with a Taser. The man received three Taser shocks after threatening police with a frying pan. According to his death certificate, the man died of a heart attack. He is said to have had a pre-existing heart condition and hepatitis C, and to have been a schizophrenic.

Underlying/pre existing condition or not, the taser was responsible for his death, had it NOT been used, he would still be alive.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Maverick623

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 22):

A quick Google search brings up multiple pages of news reports, all to do with people dying as a result of being tasered, this, IMHO, is reason enough to ban any further use of them in Australia.

Because reporting about the hundreds of thousands of people being tased and not suffering ANY ill effects doesn't sell papers.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 22):
had it NOT been used, he would still be alive.

Oh, you're a medical professional? You can accurately diagnose that a taser shot can cause heart failure 12 days later? Even when the effects stop immediately when the current is removed?

And had the taser not been used, the officers would have put themselves at risk of hep-C, they most likely would have had a long struggle with the man, and the man probably still would have died from the stress of being in a fight.

Or would you also suggest that the police not bother trying to arrest someone because they're resisting? After all, had they not even bothered to show up...

TheCommodore

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 23):
Because reporting about the hundreds of thousands of people being tased and not suffering ANY ill effects doesn't sell papers.

Rubbish.
The papers are full of crime related arrests, every day of the week.Some are with tasers and some are not !

Oh, you're a medical professional? You can accurately diagnose that a taser shot can cause heart failure 12 days later? Even when the effects stop immediately when the current is removed?

Funny thing don't you think, he was alright before he was tasered.

Even when the effects stop immediately when the current is removed?

50,000 volts and heart conditions don't go well together
BTW, you do not have to be a medical professional to work that one out do you ?

Or would you also suggest that the police not bother trying to arrest someone because they're resisting? After all, had they not even bothered to show up...

He had a frying pan as a weapon !
If law enforcement officer (and there was more then one) cant disarm a single person wielding a frying pan, then they really should look for another profession.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

PanHAM

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 am

Amazing. The guy offered to sign the ticket, after he realized that he cannot escape police brutality. This guy was an ordinary person, not violent, except if the line " I don't sign this" is considered violence.

I dont know what the procedures are in the US, is the siging of a traffic citation considered an acceptance of guilt or just an acknowledgement that the ticket was handed over and that the ticket could still be appealed in court?

If the matter is the case, alright, sign it and hand it over to the lawyer. Still, a citizen must have the right to say NO to a police officer. No police office should have the right to taser or otherwise harm a person that simply refuses to sign a document.

Such a siutuation would be unthinkable in Germany, here we could even call this cop an idiot, which this particular one certainly is, and the cop would not beat him up. The driver calling a cop an idiot would have to pay a nice heavy four digit fine, depending on his income, but he would not get arrested, nothing.

Ther's a clear difference, here, police is de-escalating situations, obviously in the US , police is escalating harmless situations like the one on the video. "Having fun", regardless if the officer had fun 8which he onbvously had, or whether it was a sarcastic remark that the driver had "fun" additionally escalated the situation. The cop should be sent to a shrink to get his psyche tested. He should not be released to the public in a uniform, not even on a leash.

To answer the question, in Germany, the use of taser weapons is very restricted and only allowed for use by SWAT teams in Bremen and a few other states. Not for regular police. use and possession by private persons is not allowed and would be considered as possession of an illegal weapon.
powered by Eierlikör

something
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 am

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 17):
As law abiding citizens, why shouldn't we? What principles of democracy are at stake here? You seem to be already biased against officers and what they do to enforce the law, no matter what their actions are. Don't be so quick to point a finger, as others have illustrated you don't know what happened prior to the start of the video.

You are right in saying I don't know the whole story. But infering from the man's behavior throughout the entire video, and the reaction of the police officer, I'm unfortunately not given much room for speculation. The situation seems pretty clear to me. But, I want to note that I am saying that as a commentator only. As a judge, the officer has to be treated as innocent until his guilt is proven, free of doubt.

And the principle of 'freedom of citizens' is at stake. The cop didn't do his job, or enforced a fine. He was bullying the guy because he was afraid the guy was making fun of him. The cop didn't want to be made fun of and wanted to teach the guy a lesson, intimidate him, maybe even punish him and show him who has the upper hand. As a cop, you can't have emotions. You're a uniform, you're a functionary. It doesn't matter how you, personally, feel about things. If you take things personally and let stuff get to you, you chose the wrong job.

And yes. People should always be extremely wary of the institution of the police. They should have as much power as needed, but as little power as possible. And I can see how some people misunderstand such statements as me advocating for anarchy. Which clearly, I am not. But you have to have principles and there are only two ways of looking at it. Either, you assume everybody is innocent until proven guilty, or they're already guilty until proven innocent. It's the prosecuters job to prove your guilt, not the people's obligation to justify themselves before others.

What the cop did was unlawful. He would have had to read out the guy's rights and explain to him the consequences of not signing the ticket. He missed to do that, therefore everything after that didn't happen on legal grounds. As a citizen, I should not have to be grateful I haven't been put to jail yet because I am just a maggot and the officer is my overlord. Maybe that's the case in North Korea. But not in a state of law.

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 17):
if we feel an injustice has occurred during the course of whatever events transpire, deal with it appropriately when the time arises.

But injustice such as shown in the video should not be happening in the first place. And even if you do have a chance to appeal your case in court, what are the chances you can prove your case unless you've conveniently videotaped it? And what have cops that have been found guilty of police brutality been charged with? Most of them don't even go to jail because the loss of their career is deemed punishment enough by many courts.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 18):

"Officer, please don't tase me illegally. Or I will be forced to tase you back."

As concise as this line appear at first glance, this is (if I understand you right) exactly what my problem is all about. It is simply intolerable that citizens are left at the cop's mercy, no matter how arbitrarily he chooses to enforce his will.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 21):
US citizens have FAR more rights than UK citizens. In the UK, you can be stopped and searched for absolutely no reason. In the US, probable cause is necessary to even initiate a stop... and believe when I say I'm against any abuse of that system.

You are absolutely right! And that's the reason why such incidents outrage me! America does have a great constitution and laws that protect their citizens and grant them their freedoms. However, there seems to be a vast discrepancy between ''what's on the paper'' and ''what happens in real life''.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 21):
A decent society simply cannot exist without a balace of rule of law and individual rights. If you refuse authroitative force in the proper situations, you descend into anarchy.

Why doesn't every country have the same problems then? Are Germany, France, Holland, Spain, Switzerland, Argentina, etc. anarchies?

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 24):
He had a frying pan as a weapon !
If law enforcement officer (and there was more then one) cant disarm a single person wielding a frying pan, then they really should look for another profession.

I agree, but at least he could make his case stating that they were acting in self defense (however unjustified). The guy in the video did not even make any attempts of getting anywhere near the cop. He didn't even want to get out of the car lol It's bullying. Nothing less than that. And that has nothing to do with the profession of a police officer.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 25):
Ther's a clear difference, here, police is de-escalating situations, obviously in the US , police is escalating harmless situations like the one on the video.

I don't know if you're a spotter, but if you go take pictures at Ramstein Air Base it's only a matter of minutes before army personnell will approach you (behind the fence, where their jurisdiction ends) and command you to leave the place in a rather demanding voice. If you refuse, because you aren't doing anything illegal, all they have left is calling the German police. 9/10 times they won't even show up because they know there's nothing to be done, and if they do they ask for your ID and inform you that you cannot climb over the fence. That's all.

But we have to be careful not to stereotype Europe vs. the USA. I think it's always a matter of whom you ask, not so much where they live. The only difference is probably Germany's experience with a totalitarian police force not 70 years ago. When you talk to Germans about police and force, they don't think of a safer Germany, they think of George Orwell. Another reason could be the fact that the German crime rate is much lower than the crime rate in the USA. If you're afraid of criminals, but don't break the law yourself, you are much likelier to argue on behalf of police force. It serves your self interest (crime gets stopped easier, I, as a law abiding citizen, have nothing to be afraid of).

But that's a fallacy. We discuss principles here. And not hopes, wishes and dreams. People don't need to be kept on a short leash to behave. Grown ups are capable of disciplining themselves. It's not a coincidence that less people smoke weed in the Netherlands or Portugal than in countries where it's illegal.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 25):
The cop should be sent to a shrink to get his psyche tested.

Indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

PanHAM

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 am

Quoting something (Reply 26):
I don't know if you're a spotter, but if you go take pictures at Ramstein Air Base it's only a matter of minutes before army personnell will approach you (behind the fence, where their jurisdiction ends) and command you to leave the place in a rather demanding voice. If you refuse, because you aren't doing anything illegal, all they have left is calling the German police. 9/10 times they won't even show up because they know there's nothing to be done, and if they do they ask for your ID and inform you that you cannot climb over the fence. That's all.

I am not a spotter but I have edged in my memory how US Air Force military police handled a guy on one of those open days at the FRA Air base, thatwas way before 9711 and the German guy had crossed a line which marked the public a and the air side restricted area. That German, used to German police so far argued and they subdued him instantly. All they could do is kick him out and turn him over to German police who released him instantly.

I would not spot at Ramstein or any other US property in Germany but i am sure glad that their juroisdiction stops exactly at the fence. I could not care about the frustration they might have.

Quoting something (Reply 26):
But we have to be careful not to stereotype Europe vs. the USA. I think it's always a matter of whom you ask, not so much where they live. The only difference is probably Germany's experience with a totalitarian police force not 70 years ago.

Absolutely correct. But police in other European countries are far from the US situation.

I do accept that in the US they may have a different situation than in Europe, with more violence. But when i look at that vieo, where an average middle class guy gets arrested for refusing to sign a ticket, even though he changed his mind when he realised that trouble was looming, then this is absolutely unacceptable.