flybaurlax
Topic Author

Too Young To Workout?

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am

Tugger posted an interesting thread about obesity and custody of children. I just stumbled upon this article and video about a 10 year old who is more ripped than I'll probably ever be. Now, when I have kids, they are going to be physically active with me, but I won't be hardcore about it like this kid is, unless it's warranted by their weight. I'm sort of on the fence about him doing this at his age. Apparently he is doing the right things, it's just that he's so young! What do you think about it? I'm really interested to see, because I really don't know if he's too young or if this is a good idea.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trai...rs-sweating-and-football-coaches-d
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

Kiwirob

RE: Too Young To Workout?

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:36 am

Have a look on youtube for Worlds Strongest Boy, that kid makes this one look like a pigmy.

StarAC17

Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:23 am

If you mean working out by the means of lifting weight then yeah you shouldn't really start that until you are well into puberty (probably 16 and up) IMO because it will stunt your growth.

However as for physical exercise that you would get through sports and activities like swimming, those should be done for sure. Even some muscle building (more toning) things like Yoga are fine for kids.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

desertjets

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:47 pm

For younger kids just keeping them physically active seems like enough. Let a 8 or 9 year old out to play in their backyard they'll run around and get plenty of exercise. Things like team sports, swimming and martial arts are a good way to get kids out, to let them socialize and get exercise at the same time. It seems if you can make that sort of activity fun and make it a habit they'd be less likely to have weight issues later on in life.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

StarAC17

Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Quoting flybaurlax (Thread starter):
I just stumbled upon this article and video about a 10 year old who is more ripped than I'll probably ever be.

I was at work when I posted earlier in this and didn't look at a pic of this kid until now. He really isn't ripped he's just skinny and therefore the muscle definition shows, I was expecting a mini Arnold.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Kiwirob

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 4):
He really isn't ripped he's just skinny and therefore the muscle definition shows, I was expecting a mini Arnold.

He's not much more defined than my 6 year old, he's the only one in our family with a 6 pack.

Now how's this for a scary ripped little kid, there was a tv documentary about him a few years back, Little Hercules.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:25 am

Advisable to start continous heavy exercising after reaching max height......probably around 18-19 yrs.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ha763

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:17 am

After reading the article and watching the video, I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. All he is doing is exercises I did in P.E. as an elementary student.