itsjustme
Topic Author

Netflix- Thougts On Recent Price Hike

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:13 am

If I had kept the same plan which was 1 DVD per month and unlimited streaming, I would have seen a 62% increase in my monthly cost. Are they crazy? In these times? I couldn't cancel fast enough. Anyone else have issues with the Netflix price hikes?

aa61hvy

RE: Netflix- Thougts On Recent Price Hike

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 am

I know I'm the minority, but I don't care. We watch maybe 2 DVD's a month, and I never have watched streaming. We did downgrade to one at a time though.
Go big or go home

Maverick623

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 am

Quoting itsjustme (Thread starter):
Anyone else have issues with the Netflix price hikes?

Kind of, but not really. I really only use streaming anyways, although since I'm now effectively paying 40% more for it (if you split the cost 60/40), I sure hope they stream more movies (but I'm not holding my breath).

At the end of the day, they're a business and they can charge what they want. If enough people cancel and they still can't make money, they will either find another way to make money or shut down.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

MarSciGuy

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 2):
Quoting itsjustme (Thread starter):
Anyone else have issues with the Netflix price hikes?

Kind of, but not really. I really only use streaming anyways, although since I'm now effectively paying 40% more for it (if you split the cost 60/40), I sure hope they stream more movies (but I'm not holding my breath).

At the end of the day, they're a business and they can charge what they want. If enough people cancel and they still can't make money, they will either find another way to make money or shut down.

We downgraded to the DVD only plan, no issues for us - saves us money and since we didn't use the streaming feature anyhow.
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

Brick

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:11 am

Netflix has had to hike their price for streaming movies because the distribution companies have hiked the price they charge Netflix to offer streaming movies.

Blame Hollywood, not Netflix for the increase in fees.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Maverick623

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:28 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 4):
Netflix has had to hike their price for streaming movies because the distribution companies have hiked the price they charge Netflix to offer streaming movies.

I forgot to mention this. I'm not mad at all at Netflix... they gotta do what they gotta do.

And Hollywood wonders why there's a pirating problem...

goblin211

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:31 am

I don't think this is happening to everyone though. I mean, I watch both streaming and DVDs and my bill hasn't been touched.
From the airport with love

san747

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:22 am

I don't get the uproar. It's going from what? $8/month to $16/month for something that was pretty much impossible 5 years ago? Before streaming became popular, you had to purchase or rent DVDs, which could cost thousands of dollars if you wanted/had a large collection of movies. Now it costs less than $200/year?

Talk about first world problems. Do I wish their streaming selection was better? Yes, but overall, it's a great service, and if $8 extra a month is going to squeeze you, you need to budget better.
Scotty doesn't know...

Maverick623

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am

Quoting goblin211 (Reply 6):
I don't think this is happening to everyone though. I mean, I watch both streaming and DVDs and my bill hasn't been touched.

The price increase is effective on your next billing cycle.

You might wanna check your account info with Netflix.

Quoting san747 (Reply 7):
Do I wish their streaming selection was better? Yes, but overall, it's a great service, and if $8 extra a month is going to squeeze you, you need to budget better.

Consumers will ALWAYS complain about a price increase, but at the end of the day, if they can afford it they will pay it.

nws2002

Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:04 am

I've had the 1 DVD + streaming plan for awhile, but I think I've had the same DVD for the last two months. So, I'm dropping the DVD and just sticking with streaming. I don't have cable, so Netflix gives me somthing to watch besides network tv.

airportugal310

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:26 am

Talk about first world problems. Do I wish their streaming selection was better? Yes, but overall, it's a great service, and if $8 extra a month is going to squeeze you, you need to budget better.
Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
Consumers will ALWAYS complain about a price increase, but at the end of the day, if they can afford it they will pay it.

Totally missing the point, I think. They are effectively doubling the price of something without a major change in service.

Does not matter if its an $8 or $80 change in price. The streaming selection is lousy; unless that dramatically improves then there is no real justification.

Do I agree that times have changed since Netflix was launched? Yes...should they have seen this coming and planned ahead? I do think they should have...they should not have been caught with their pants down. With the like of Hulu and other similar services (Amazon...), they were not to be the only player after long.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Fly2HMO

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:10 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 5):
And Hollywood wonders why there's a pirating problem...

And its for stuff like this is why I rather go that route instead.    

Revelation

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:42 am

The price increase is effective on your next billing cycle.

Interesting.

Did they send out an announcement on this?

If this impacts me, I'm canceling, and it sounds like it does.

I re-subscribed two months ago and went through all the streaming stuff I wanted to see and haven't been using it lately.

There really isn't much new content being added that I'm interested in.

For $16/mo I can stream a few movies a month from Amazon.

As for DVDs, I can't be arsed to use that service.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

BMI727

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:13 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):
And its for stuff like this is why I rather go that route instead. 

Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzF1Lhvw8Fg
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:20 am

I'm not thrilled with the price hike (my wife and I already had the 2x DVD plus streaming package anyway) because it's hard to justify a large (by percentage) increase in price without realizing any commensurate value to what they offer; they're still a month behind Blockbuster in getting new DVD releases, their streaming selection is good but not great, etc.

Having said that, it's still less than $20/month for what's still a terrific service overall, so I'll grumble a bit but stick with 'em.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sw733

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 1):
I know I'm the minority, but I don't care.

Agreed. I think it's only fair. It was a heck of a steal to pay $9 or so and get DVDs + unlimited streaming. And since I don't have cable, I use a LOT of Netflix streaming through both my laptop and my Wii. I have decided to go with the streaming only...I have had the same DVD sitting on my living room table for 3 months now!

Quoting Revelation (Reply 12):
Did they send out an announcement on this?

If this impacts me, I'm canceling, and it sounds like it does.

Yes, I got an e-mail last week. And it impacts everyone.

kingairta

Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I dropped to streaming only.

The few new movies I watch are available on demand a month sooner then Netflix gets them. And at two movies a month the price is a wash.

Revelation

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Do I wish their streaming selection was better? Yes, but overall, it's a great service, and if $8 extra a month is going to squeeze you, you need to budget better.

That's a pretty rude statement.

$8/mo is pretty dear to many, many people.

And to other people, it's more about what the best thing to do with the $8/month is.

There's plenty of things to chose from:
- Spend it on an actual movie ticket (probably matinee for most areas these days)
- Spend it on a cable provider's pay per view
- Spend it on a someone else's Internet-based pay per view (e.g. Amazon)
- Spend it on e-books

I just did. Since I re-joined two months ago, the option to pick streaming only was the one I chose.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 14):
they're still a month behind Blockbuster in getting new DVD releases,

Wow, you still have a Blockbuster store to go to? Or is this a BB on-line service?

Quoting sw733 (Reply 15):
Agreed. I think it's only fair. It was a heck of a steal to pay $9 or so and get DVDs + unlimited streaming. And since I don't have cable, I use a LOT of Netflix streaming through both my laptop and my Wii. I have decided to go with the streaming only...I have had the same DVD sitting on my living room table for 3 months now!

Yep, that's what was happening to me before I re-started my Netflix account.

But clearly they threw in the streaming for free up front to get people to try it. It turned out to be very popular, and presumably this hit Hollywood's DVD sales, so they are charging Netflix more for the streaming content. Thus Netflix has to change their prices and their offerings.

You would think this would help Hollywood since more people are moving away from printed DVDs so their costs are lower.

Is it a wash on piracy? I know it's trivial to rip a printed DVD, and haven't heard if it trivial to pirate a streaming download.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 15):
Yes, I got an e-mail last week. And it impacts everyone.

Thanks. I guess I forgot I signed up for the streaming-only service when I renewed my subscription, so I never did get the e-mail.

GQfluffy

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 4):

Wrong.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Why-Ne...ed-Its-nytimes-3842223211.html?x=0

From said article-

Quote:
All over the Web, you can read analysts explaining the backstory this way: "Why, when Netflix first unveiled its streaming feature in 2007, nobody else was streaming this stuff. To the TV and movie companies, it was free money. But now, all those contracts with Netflix are up for renewal, and the movie and TV studios are all charging Netflix a lot more!"

There's only one problem with that analysis: According to Netflix, it's wrong. The new studio contracts have nothing to do with the price change.

In fact, Netflix swears up and down that higher costs of doing business have nothing to do with the price hike.

I don't get the uproar. It's going from what? $8/month to $16/month for something that was pretty much impossible 5 years ago? Before streaming became popular, you had to purchase or rent DVDs, which could cost thousands of dollars if you wanted/had a large collection of movies. Now it costs less than $200/year?

4 years ago I signed up for $9 a month for 1 DVD at a time (unlimited per month). About a year later I was told I could start streaming films online (and on the Wii). Cool. 2 years ago the price went up to $10. The reasoning then was "We added streaming to your account, so we have to raise prices." Ok. Now we're being told the costs to mail DVDs are climbing (not really) so they want to charge me another $6 a month? Bollocks. As far as you telling me if I can't afford another $6 a month, I have budget issues. Nice try. It's a cash grab, pure and simple, and I, like thousands of others over the last week or so, aren't standing for it.
This isn't where I parked my car...

canoecarrier

Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 12):
For $16/mo I can stream a few movies a month from Amazon.

Right, I subscribe to Amazon Prime every year for $70 to get the free two day shipping. The streaming movie service comes along with that. If you're willing to pay the $16/month at Amazon you should just get prime. Although the movie collection is around 6K compared to Netflix's 20K.

Netflix streaming is a good, not great service IMO. If you stream using a Wii you don't get HD movies and there's only so many times you can watch a movie like A Clockwork Orange. The new movie selection is small through the streaming service.

I got a 6 month Netflix gift subscription for Christmas last year. All the price increase did for me was I stopped considering adding the DVD subscription when the gift subscription ran out. So, in the end they lost business from me. If Amazon even gets close to Netflix's on-demand catalog I'll drop Netflix altogether.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):

they're still a month behind Blockbuster in getting new DVD releases,

Wow, you still have a Blockbuster store to go to? Or is this a BB on-line service?

There's actually a Blockbuster store right around the corner from my house, however Blockbuster.com's DVD shipment service clearly gets new releases on-time, whereas there's about a 1 to 1 1/2 month delay in Netflix receiving them.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

srbmod

Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:11 pm

It doesn't bother me, as I've only got the streaming-only account, as I previously did have the DVD option (1 at a time), but never used it and switched to a streaming-only account several months ago. For the most part, most of the DVDs I've bought in the last few years were either TV series or a movie I've been meaning to get on Blu-Ray.. I've only bought two movies in recent years that I had not seen before buying them, but were movies I had been wanting to see.

Of course folks are angry about the price increase if you wish to also get DVDs, but there are alternatives to Netflix for your DVD options, some as close as your nearest grocery store, drug store, Walmart or gas station. That's quicker than waiting for Netflix to send it to you (assuming the local Blockbuster or Redbox machine has it in stock if it's a new release.).

What's funny is that some of the stuff that Netflix has available for streaming is also available through my cable company's on-demand service (in particular the Starz Play stuff). So some of this stuff comes included in the money I pay the cable company, but in some cases, the Netflix offering is in HD while the cable company's is not.

san747

Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but I stand by my statement. The new price is still so miniscule (and I say this as someone who makes $750/month on a good month) that complaining about it makes one come across as a whiner. If you don't like the new price increase, I absolutely support your decision to cancel, but in absolute terms, to almost everyone (who can properly handle and budget their money), $16/month is a pittance.

And to other people, it's more about what the best thing to do with the $8/month is.

Absolutely- I know the value of $8, only a few days ago, that's all I had to my name! But I just find it a little obnoxious to hear people making $100,000 a year complaining about how they now have to pay $16/month instead of $8 as if its all of a sudden a huge burden.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 18):
It's a cash grab, pure and simple, and I, like thousands of others over the last week or so, aren't standing for it.

That's their prerogative. If Netflix feels it can justify charging that much for their service, why shouldn't they, especially when on practical terms, it's an increase the vast vast majority of their current customers can afford?

Having said that, it's still less than $20/month for what's still a terrific service overall, so I'll grumble a bit but stick with 'em.

Exactly. We're talking about a service that allows you to watch an unlimited amount of movies over the internet at your convenience. If you wanted to do something similar to that even 5 years ago, you needed to buy hundreds of DVDs, which would cost thousands of dollars. Now you can do that for $16/month. I know it's easy to get jaded with awesome new technology, but it's amazing that most of us seem to have forgotten that internet movie streaming, something we've grown comfortable and accustomed to, has only been popular and mainstream for about TWO years.
Scotty doesn't know...

something

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 am

I can't get Netflix in Europe, but I'd still like to know what exactly that price hike is justified with? With the dire straits the entertainment industry is in? The new Harry Potter movie only made half a billion dollar in one weekend.

http://gossiponthis.com/category/news/celebrity-finances/

If anything, I, as a paying customer, feel like the one that's getting pirated..
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

aa61hvy

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 am

I respect and understand everyone's finances are different. But if $8 extra a month is going to break you, then maybe that person shouldn't be subscribing to Netflix.
Go big or go home

Revelation

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 19):
Right, I subscribe to Amazon Prime every year for $70 to get the free two day shipping. The streaming movie service comes along with that.

Hmm, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I use "Amazon Instant Video" from my TiVo box, and it is a pay-per-view service that uses the Internet to deliver content. Is this the same thing you are talking about?

TiVo also has a Blockbuster app.

Both these services do not seem to have first run movies. I can't say for sure because I do not bother keeping up with what's in the theaters! But from what few ads I see, I'd guess most of the things I'm seeing are several months if not a year or two behind current time. Most movies seem to be around $5-$8 a throw.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 21):
For the most part, most of the DVDs I've bought in the last few years were either TV series or a movie I've been meaning to get on Blu-Ray.

Being a big TiVo fan, I don't ever need to find DVDs for TV series. The 1GB TiVo holds 150 hours of HD, or more than 6 days of continuous HD viewing. Since I'm not a big movie fan, I don't carry any of the pricier cable TV packages, I just have the basic digital/HD package (whose price is always increasing, sigh) and use TiVo to keep the content I want available.

kingairta

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:56 pm

For me the the price increase isn't a concern to my budget. It's more the principle of effectively doubling my fee without improving the service. If they said they would have more new releases available on streaming and Direct TV didn't have the 1 month advantage of new releases vs Netflix then I wouldn't have an issue.

But If your gonna charge me double for the same then forget it. My money is better used elsewhere.

canoecarrier

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 25):

Hmm, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. I use "Amazon Instant Video" from my TiVo box, and it is a pay-per-view service that uses the Internet to deliver content. Is this the same thing you are talking about?

It does appear they are two seperate services. But, considering I get the ability to stream around 6K movies and TV as part of Amazon Prime, anything else I would want to watch I could order through the Instant Video for a couple dollars and just not pay for Netflix at all.

Quoting san747 (Reply 22):

Exactly. We're talking about a service that allows you to watch an unlimited amount of movies over the internet at your convenience. If you wanted to do something similar to that even 5 years ago, you needed to buy hundreds of DVDs, which would cost thousands of dollars. Now you can do that for $16/month.

The problem I have is that they don't have an unlimited amount of movies. The streaming catalog is a small percentage of their overall library.

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 26):
For me the the price increase isn't a concern to my budget. It's more the principle of effectively doubling my fee without improving the service

nws2002

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 25):

It's the same service, but so far TiVo and Amazon have not updated the TiVo software to allow access to the free videos for Amazon Prime members.

FWIW, I use Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon on my TiVo. Great combo of services and gives you access to watch almost anything. I've never used Blockbuster, but I've seen it on the VOD menu.

Revelation

Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:35 pm

Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 24):

I respect and understand everyone's finances are different. But if $8 extra a month is going to break you, then maybe that person shouldn't be subscribing to Netflix.

There's a difference between it being "pretty dear" and "breaking them".

I have a relative who's chronically under-employed. His home entertainment comes via the $20/mo DSL line and the $9/mo Netflix live + 1 dvd service he accesses via a second-hand game console. The increase from $29/mo to $36/mo is indeed pretty dear to him. We're not talking about someone who has a steady >$100k salary and is used to spending $200/mo on cable packages. He's very conscientious about watching the dvd he gets the night he gets it and having it in the mail the next morning, so losing the 1 dvd service is a big hit to him.

Actually, now that I think about it, I have a friend who's unemployed and in almost the exact same situation.

In many cases it's the actual money that's the problem. In others, it's just the principal. In 20/20 hindsight, netflix should have "grandfathered in" the existing customers till they let their subscriptions lapse. It would have kept both parties happy. Or they should have allowed existing customers to be grandfathered in for a two year period instead of doing what they did, which is just dropping a bomb on everyone.

wn700driver

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:53 am

It's not rude, But I will say it's pretty out of touch with how Math works...

Quoting san747 (Reply 22):

I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but I stand by my statement. The new price is still so miniscule (and I say this as someone who makes $750/month on a good month) that complaining about it makes one come across as a whiner. If you don't like the new price increase, I absolutely support your decision to cancel, but in absolute terms, to almost everyone (who can properly handle and budget their money), $16/month is a pittance

Well, if $8 is a pittance, how about sending some this way? I won't change anything about any situation, anywhere, at all. Promise. Seriously man, it's only $8, don't go cheap on me...

The issue is not at all relevant WRT how precious that $8 is or is not. The fact is that most of us $100k/yr types are where we are because we don't look at alterations in fixed costs or line expense items lightly. I will admit that I spent more time looking for a new car than Delta will have spent making their new narrowbody decision, but it was worth it. I have a better machine now that costs, on average, $21 less a month to operate, despite the payment structure, insurance, etc...

Say my average monthly revenue is right around $10000. Saving $9 month on having the new car (which is about where it's at) increases what I can spend on Fade (which is what my ledger labels all money left after costs & savings) by about a full percentage point. Not much? Well added to my savings plan (which turns in right around 12% most years; not sexy but functional), it does add up to a significant additional sum to the balance of my savings, and takes away some of the elasticity we've all been experiencing too much of lately... Now wipe that back out by having the NetFlix jump their rates, and I will not be upset, per se. But I may well decide to adjust that expense back in my favor. Something that I hope their company has taken into consideration.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

canoecarrier

Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:32 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 30):
Well, if $8 is a pittance, how about sending some this way?

I have to say, nicely done. For those of you that want to defend Netflix, I suggest you go to Netflix instant right now and tell me if you recognize one movie on the "New Arrivals: Movies" screen. Except for "The Birdcage" a movie I saw at the theater in 1996 which I'm sure is as good now as it was then.

Even better, try and watch Iron Man 2 or The Last Airbender on Neftlix Instant right now, there's no audio. I even called customer support, they said no one can watch those two right now.

[Edited 2011-07-23 20:08:44]

san747

Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, if $8 is a pittance, how about sending some this way? I won't change anything about any situation, anywhere, at all. Promise. Seriously man, it's only $8, don't go cheap on me...

Stream me some movies and I'll be happy too  

It's not rude, But I will say it's pretty out of touch with how Math works...

How about this, since no one seems to understand my point? Yes, I get that there's no demonstrable change in service despite the price increase. But IMO, I always thought Netflix underpriced their service to begin with. I was always amazed that I was getting hundreds of movies and TV shows (which is Netflix streaming's real strength right now) for almost nothing.

That's why to me, this uproar over the $8 to $16/month increase just baffles me, despite the obvious fact that nothing in the service has changed.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 31):

I have to say, nicely done. For those of you that want to defend Netflix, I suggest you go to Netflix instant right now and tell me if you recognize one movie on the "New Arrivals: Movies" screen.

I recognize plenty. In fact, Netflix has allowed to see a lot of less well-known movies I would never have seen otherwise. The fact that it doesn't carry every huge new release has actually EXPANDED my movie horizons.
Scotty doesn't know...

EA CO AS

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:56 pm

I have to say, nicely done. For those of you that want to defend Netflix, I suggest you go to Netflix instant right now and tell me if you recognize one movie on the "New Arrivals: Movies"

LOL and that's what I use Blockbuster.com for - to search out new arrivals so I know what to look for on the Netflix site, since Netflix's search feature sucks.

jetblue777

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Well first of all, my parents pay for it 

We both have the streaming and 1 DVD / time

We're planning to cancel the entire thing when school starts because I'm pretty sure I won't have the time to use it. Anyways, there's always YouTube, Hulu and the 6 Dollar Tuesdays at our local movie theater  
It's a cultural thing.

Revelation

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 am

I will admit that I spent more time looking for a new car than Delta will have spent making their new narrowbody decision, but it was worth it. I have a better machine now that costs, on average, $21 less a month to operate, despite the payment structure, insurance, etc...

LOL, sounds like you and me have a lot in common with regard to how we go about making major purchases. I must say I wish I was as disciplined with regard to keeping track of the rest of it, though...

For those of you that want to defend Netflix, I suggest you go to Netflix instant right now and tell me if you recognize one movie on the "New Arrivals: Movies" screen.

I think it's been said here several times that NF is just not about first run movies.

Quoting san747 (Reply 32):
In fact, Netflix has allowed to see a lot of less well-known movies I would never have seen otherwise.

That's quite true for me. My instant queue is hundreds of entries long, filled with things I may want to watch at some point, and probably will. It's like having a huge DVD shelf for $8/month. Like the DVD shelf, much of it is not going to be first run any more, but it still has value.

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 34):
Anyways, there's always YouTube, Hulu and the 6 Dollar Tuesdays at our local movie theater

And the local public library, used book stores, or tag/garage/roadside book sales. Books really are a bargain if you can be arsed to find ones you like.

flanker

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:00 pm

Netflix sucks. I don't know why people pay for that garbage.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

itsjustme
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:26 am

Been away for awhile and wasn't able to check this thread. Some interesting feedback. Thanks to all those who've taken the time to respond. Yes, Netflix only raised their prices by about $8/month (in my case anyway). On the surface, not a big deal. But that still translates to a surprise 62% increase in a monthly bill for me. Could I afford the additional $8 a month? Sure. Can I afford a 62% increase in something I can live without? Nope.

Given today's 10% plunge in Netflix stock, it looks like more than a few Netflix subscribers said "see ya" to their recent price hike.

Brick

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:52 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 18):
Quoting Brick (Reply 4):

Wrong.

No, I am correct. From the latest AP story on this: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/entertainment/28660589/detail.html

Netflix was able to score comparatively cheap streaming deals when the service first launched, but now content providers want to be paid more for the content they're providing. One analyst predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:48 am

Quoting Brick (Reply 38):
Netflix was able to score comparatively cheap streaming deals when the service first launched, but now content providers want to be paid more for the content they're providing. One analyst predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

That's according to an analyst. The article GQfluffy referenced mentioned that Netflix denied that those costs had anything to do with the increase. In fact if you read that article, Netflix gives their reasons for the increase.

[Edited 2011-07-25 22:51:14]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.