Mortyman
Topic Author

Massive Explosion Hits Norwegian PM's Office

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Explosion hits Norwegian PM's office

The blast blew out most windows on the 17-story building housing Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's office, as well as nearby buildings including the oil ministry, which was on fire.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43854355/ns/world_news-europe/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

Pictures:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article4180673.ece

PM is safe. Injured people. To early to say if it is an act of terror

[Edited 2011-07-22 07:26:16]

fr8mech

RE: Massive Explosion Hits Norwegian PM's Office

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
To early to say if it is an act of terror

Of course it's an act of terror. It's too early to tell who is responsible.

Could it possibly be something else? Yes. Is it probable that it's something else? No.

So, who have the Norwegians pissed off? Any domestic issues?

Maybe it is just a minor breakdown in infrastructure (gas main break), but I doubt.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 pm

They are reporting it being a bomb... apparently newspaper office was hit? Looks huge.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 1):

They have islamic extremists in Norway, That piece of crap Mullar Krekar also threatened Norway.

One person officially Killed so far.

[Edited 2011-07-22 07:46:59]

pelican

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Gaddafi - the Royal Norwegian Air Force bombed the command center and residence of Gaddafi in Tripoli on April 25th.

However I hope nobody was killed in Oslo.

pelican

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Norwegian soldiers and specialforces have been in Afganistan for over 10 years ...

something

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Apparently it was a car bomb that detonated in front of the headquarters of the Norwegian boulevard magazin ''VG'', and wasn't aimed at the government and oil industry complexes.

Sad day for Oslo. Thoughts are with the people there..

Edit: Apparently the bomb exploded inside the building of the paper.

[Edited 2011-07-22 07:55:39]
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:53 pm

Quoting pelican (Reply 4):
Gaddafi - the Royal Norwegian Air Force bombed the command center and residence of Gaddafi in Tripoli on April 25th.

However I hope nobody was killed in Oslo.

pelican

Report of 1 confirmed dead and someone who saw a woman on the floor with no legs (assume dead).

Bomb looks massive.. windows broken 5 blocks away.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Quoting something (Reply 6):
Apparently it was a car bomb that detonated in front of the headquarters of the Norwegian boulevard magazin ''VG'', and wasn't aimed at the government and oil industry complexes.

Sad day for Oslo. Thoughts are with the people there..

Considering the damage on the governmental buildings, it was DEFFINETLY aimed at the government. It is the government buildings that has gotten the most damage. Other buildings are just close to where it happend

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Quoting pelican (Reply 4):

I would think Gaddafi wouldn't be that stupid. That would open up a world of hurt more than just airstrikes if he's responsible.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this attack.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers  

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:02 pm

2 confirmed dead ...

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Apparently bomb confirmed by police on Norwegian TV and they think there are 2 other bombs? Stay safe norwegians.

something

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 9):
That would open up a world of hurt more than just airstrikes if he's responsible.

Even more so. If a connection between him and that could be established, that would pave the legal way to end his existence rather expeditiously.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 8):
Considering the damage on the governmental buildings, it was DEFFINETLY aimed at the government.

I'm still getting conflicting reports here. One side reports of a car bomb, the other of a bomb inside the VG headquarter.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:29 pm

According to BBC 3 people have been arrested ( but this is not confirmed ) Also the boss at OSL airport has confirmed that there is currently a policeaction on the premisess of the airport. A car has been surrounded

Poadrim

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm just a few blocks away,

It's a complete war zone, smoke, fire and hurt people EVERY-where. Two confirmed dead and the police suspects there are at least two more car bombs somewhere in Oslo, they just don't know where.

Time to send Mullar Krekar far away from Norway!
Good judgment comes from experience. Good experience comes from someone else's bad judgment.

CPH-R

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Why the hell target the Norwegians? It's usually us, their southern neighbours, who are targetted.

Quoting Poadrim (Reply 14):

Good luck with that, it's not like they haven't tried, tried, and tried again.

pelican

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

May those killed today rest in peace and those inhured survive.

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 9):
I would think Gaddafi wouldn't be that stupid.

Don't forget Lockerbie or La Belle - he was responsible for both terror acts.

But of course there are other monsters who are capable of committing such crimes.

pelican

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Quoting pelican (Reply 16):
Don't forget Lockerbie or La Belle - he was responsible for both terror acts.

Oh don't worry, I haven't. But seeing as how he is currently the subject of NATO intervention, you would think he wouldn't do anything that would give legal precedent to just finish his regime off without a second thought.

But there are other monsters. It could even be domestic and something as simple as someone who is disturbed and angry with his or her government. Such sociopaths unfortunately do exist.

If news reports are accurate that there are other bombs, then right now the priority is getting through this event before hunting for who's responsible for said event.

Revelation

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 15):
Good luck with that, it's not like they haven't tried, tried, and tried again.

We have a Navy SEAL team we could lend them...
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

mham001

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Quoting something (Reply 12):

Even more so. If a connection between him and that could be established, that would pave the legal way to end his existence rather expeditiously.

I don't know, since the west started bombing him on kangaroo legal grounds, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to retaliate. I know I would if somebody decided I shouldn't exist.

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Hearing now that People have been shot or there is gunfire on an Island where the priministers party youth group is having an event? Anyone else see this... This is crazy.

washingtonian

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:16 pm

RIP to all those who lost their lives....

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 3):
That piece of crap Mullar Krekar also threatened Norway.

Could you elaborate on this a little bit? Who is he, etc? I've read a bit about the problems that Scandinavian countries (and European countries more generally) are having with local Islamists, I wonder if this is related.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 18):
We have a Navy SEAL team we could lend them...

We have navy seals of our own ...

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 19):
I don't know, since the west started bombing him on kangaroo legal grounds, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to retaliate. I know I would if somebody decided I shouldn't exist.

Wow, I hope you're not claiming that this is in any way justified...assuming it was Gadhafi.

Moammar brought his current troubles on himself. There was nothing "kangaroo legal" about it. And if he is responsible for this attack (still a big if), then he needs to be dealt with severely.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Quoting Giancavia (Reply 20):
Hearing now that People have been shot or there is gunfire on an Island where the priministers party youth group is having an event? Anyone else see this... This is crazy.

Confirmed. By one or more persons dressed as police . Several persons have jumped in the water, trying to get away

mham001

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 23):
Wow, I hope you're not claiming that this is in any way justified...assuming it was Gadhafi.

Moammar brought his current troubles on himself. There was nothing "kangaroo legal" about it. And if he is responsible for this attack (still a big if), then he needs to be dealt with severely.

So what do you expect when governments arbitrarily decide a ruler of another country should be eliminated? You are parroting the incredible hypocrisy I hear our leaders spout daily about what is going on in Libya. When rebels surround a city to invade, they are "good". When Khadafi does the exact same, it's an international travesty. When rebels march on Tripoli, where Khadafi has broad support, what will the excuses be?
It's ok to drop bombs on Tripoli, but if he were to retaliate, we should be surprised and shout indignations? We started a war, if he strikes back, shame on our governments for not considering the ramifications of their actions..

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 24):
Confirmed. By one or more persons dressed as police . Several persons have jumped in the water, trying to get away

Still haven't seen anything in either BBC or CNN. This is awful though.  

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:45 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 21):
Could you elaborate on this a little bit? Who is he, etc? I've read a bit about the problems that Scandinavian countries (and European countries more generally) are having with local Islamists, I wonder if this is related.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullah_Krekar

That will sum it up for you better then I can.

Yes I see they have sent anti terro police to the island .. one person is dead and lots of others shot?

Sad day..

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 25):
So what do you expect when governments arbitrarily decide a ruler of another country should be eliminated? You are parroting the incredible hypocrisy I hear our leaders spout daily about what is going on in Libya. When rebels surround a city to invade, they are "good". When Khadafi does the exact same, it's an international travesty. When rebels march on Tripoli, where Khadafi has broad support, what will the excuses be?

Those "rebels" wouldn't have been rebels had Gadhafi not started pulverizing his own protesting civilians in the first place...or have you forgotten?

It's ok to drop bombs on Tripoli, but if he were to retaliate, we should be surprised and shout indignations? We started a war, if he strikes back, shame on our governments for not considering the ramifications of their actions..

You want to go back to the start with Gadhafi? Go to Lockerbie, or Berlin.

You defend this brat, but don't whine when the West takes action when he starts slaughtering civilians for the sake of his own ego.  

Now we're veering off topic until it is actually confirmed that Gadhafi is responsible...and no proof of anyone's responsibility has actually surfaced yet.

oldeuropean

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

With the shootings at the Labour Party youth camp, does there is a possibility that Neo-Nazis or far right groups are behind the bombs?
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

mham001

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 28):
You want to go back to the start with Gadhafi? Go to Lockerbie, or Berlin.

Which the governments now bombing him officially forgave him for. In fact, 2 of the current major leaders leading this charge went to embrace him. How quickly we forget.

IF this is Khadafi, it is an act of war but since it targeted a government building, it can hardly be "illegal" since we claim daily to do the very same thing.

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Very shocking.. didn't see that coming  
Quoting CPH-R (Reply 15):
Why the hell target the Norwegians? It's usually us, their southern neighbours, who are targetted.

You almost sound like you're jealous  

I guess it could be because of Norways involvement in Afghanistan, Libya or something else.

CPH-R

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 31):
You almost sound like you're jealous

Not really, I'm just scratching my head.

Though a friend of mine, who works in one of the office buildings (he was working from home today), pointed out that a publisher they share buildings with republished the Mohammed cartoons fairly recently. So that's probably a good place to start.

L410Turbolet

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:05 pm

When rebels surround a city to invade, they are "good". When Khadafi does the exact same, it's an international travesty.

What about the right of people to rise against their own tyrrannical government?

canoecarrier

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Has this been updated? I was trying to read Aftenposten through Google translate which appears to report 4 were shot on Utoya. Very sad, shooting children.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 29):
With the shootings at the Labour Party youth camp, does there is a possibility that Neo-Nazis or far right groups are behind the bombs?

Also a possibility, but how many right wing groups in Norway are this well coordinated?

Boeing4ever

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 30):
Which the governments now bombing him officially forgave him for. In fact, 2 of the current major leaders leading this charge went to embrace him. How quickly we forget.

So because of that, we should then look the other way when Gadhafi starts slaughtering his own people when they exercise their right to peacefully assemble and protest? Unbelievable.  
Quoting mham001 (Reply 30):
IF this is Khadafi, it is an act of war but since it targeted a government building, it can hardly be "illegal" since we claim daily to do the very same thing.

Except the attack has now included a machine gun assault on a youth camp. Still justified in your eyes?

something

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 31):
Libya or something else.

Norway has no involvement in Libya..

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 32):
Though a friend of mine, who works in one of the office buildings (he was working from home today), pointed out that a publisher they share buildings with republished the Mohammed cartoons fairly recently. So that's probably a good place to start.

When I heard the bombs aimed at the headquarter of a Scandinavian magazine, this was my first thought. I then googled it and found that in fact the paper 'Aftenposten' has repeatedly printed Mohammed charicatures. And both, the Verdens Gang as well as the Aftenposten belong to the same publisher, Schibsted.

agill

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Apparently a blond guy arrested for the shooting outside of Oslo.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Quoting something (Reply 37):

Say what !

Norway is one of the countries that has bombed Libya the most. Some 500 bombs. Around 15 % of all bombs dropped ...

OA260

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:27 pm

Very sad to hear this news didnt expect to have this happen in Norway. Thoughts with the dead and injured.

bjorn14

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 21):
http://www.swedishwire.com/nordic/10...r-mullah-krekar-over-death-threats

Quoting something (Reply 37):

For awhile they were the leading NATO bomb dropper in Libya.

But a group calling themselves "Helpers of the Global Jihad" is still pissed about the Mohammed cartoons.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

something

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 39):
Say what !

Norway is one of the countries that has bombed Libya the most. Some 500 bombs. Around 15 % of all bombs dropped ...

Sorry, I missed to say ''anymore''. They're the first nation to withdraw from the mission and will effectively cease all operations until August 1st. That's why it seems illogical to me to attack them out of all nations, especially since the other two Libya-coordinated terrorist attacks were directed against the US.

Sorry about that.

MadameConcorde

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:35 pm

RIP victims in Norway attacks.

It is tragic to see how some decide to take other people's lives at their own whim.

I hope Karma will strike any and all responsible for this in equal amount.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:39 pm

7 killed in bombing so far and several killed on the island that were shot. Still a gunman firing on the island.

Norwegian Army soldiers have taken up some positions in Oslo according to REUTERS.

[Edited 2011-07-22 10:40:47]

[Edited 2011-07-22 10:42:00]

bjorn14

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Police confirm 7 dead and the bombing and shooting are related.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Quoting Poadrim (Reply 14):

So you think that he be sent to another country, where he can continue to spread hate and discontent?

It is people like him that led to US to establish the prison at Guantanamo, Cuba!

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 29):

Of the last 50 terrorist attacks around the world:

o How many were the work on "Neo-Nazi" or "far right" groups?

o How many were the work of Musilam extreamists?

GIANCAVIA

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 46):

The gunman arrested is apparently a white blonde man but lets not forget muslims can be white and converts. This is surely to professional and large to be neo-nazis.

racko

o How many members of Neo-Nazi or far-right groups are 1,85m-1,90m tall blonde Nordic men?

o How many members of Muslim extremist groups are 1,85m-1,90m tall blonde Nordic men?

At this point, we don't know anything. Could be Jihadists, could be Neo-Nazis, could be a bunch of apocalyptic loons...let's wait and see.

oldeuropean

At least some have killed the Swedish Premier Palme in 1986.
And be sure that there are some far right groups in Scandinavia.
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben