NIKV69
Topic Author

Perry To Announce His Run For President.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:08 pm

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/60884.html

He is in. Going to be great to finally get to some red meat and be done with the Palin and Bachmann stuff. Perry stands a much better chance of winning the nomination and the general. He has the hair, the look and gives probably a better speech than our tele reader. Not to mention some actual executive experience.

I see Bachmann fading and Romney in a bit of trouble at this point.

This will be great I can't wait to watch his speech on Sat!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

mt99

RE: Perry To Announce His Run For President.

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Good Luck!

He certianly picked a great day to so.

We certainly need good people in the race!

If he would keep his religious views to himself, he would be more palatable. At least to me. 

[Edited 2011-08-08 12:12:26]
Step into my office, baby

CometII

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Great, as if we really need another cowboy from Texas getting to the White House.

The republican field is not improved one bit with him in.

ALTF4

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Excellent news! We'll see how this all turns out.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

kngkyle
Crew

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:24 pm

I personally can't stand him but I'm sorta glad to see hes running. It will certainly make things more interesting. I still don't think he has a chance at beating Obama but I'll concede that he does look the part and is a good speaker. This will definitely hurt Bachmann but I doubt it does much damage to Romney. Tea Party types don't exactly like him anyway, if anything it might help him since it could split the tea party vote.

CometII

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Quoting Kngkyle (Reply 4):
I personally can't stand him but I'm sorta glad to see hes running

That's the problem I see. Not so much his political ideology which is not particularly concerning or anything, just a solid conservative. But his charisma is in the negative digits. And whether we like it or not, in these times we need to engage with the world, Europe, Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and Perry will be seen by many as just another ''cowboy my way or the highway,'' kind of Don't mess withTexas politician. And that simply cannot work with foreign relations, as we saw last decade.

Tugger

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:44 pm

How well does he deal with a split legislature? Sure he can deal with Republican's but how will he do with disruptive Democrats and TP'ers?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

sw733

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Curious to see if Sam Brownback gets his wish and runs as his VP down the road, should it come to that.

Quoting Kngkyle (Reply 4):
I still don't think he has a chance at beating Obama

I don't necessarily think he has a chance of beating even other Republicans. Top 3, perhaps, but Top 1? That might be tough.

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't believe anyone that pulls a stunt like a day of prayer is smart enough to lead a nation. President of Jonestown? Sure. I can only "pray" this blows up in his face.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde..._service_src_facebook_102128575100
E pur si muove -Galileo

ALTF4

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

I don't believe anyone that pulls a stunt like a day of prayer is smart enough to lead a nation. President of Jonestown? Sure. I can only "pray" this blows up in his face.

Guess Obama shouldn't have been at the prayer breakfast, either?

Dreadnought

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:57 pm

I don't believe anyone that pulls a stunt like a day of prayer is smart enough to lead a nation.

Nice to know how little you think of our nation's greatest leaders.

Quote:
"The Honorable Congress having recommended it to the United States to set apart Thursday the 6th of May next to be observed as a day of fasting, humility and prayer, to acknowledge the gracious interpositions of Providence; to deprecate [to pray or intreat that a present evil may be removed] deserved punishment for our Sins and Ingratitiude, to unitedly implore the Protection of Heaven; Success to our Arms and the Arms of our Ally: The Commander in Chief enjoins a religious observance of said day and directs the Chaplains to prepare discourses proper for the occasion; strictly forbidding all recreations and unnecessary labor.”

—George Washington, First President of the United States

[Edited 2011-08-08 12:57:59]
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Tugger

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 9):

Except Perry's was explicitly for Christian's only.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 10):

Perry's christianity is so hollow, transparent, and politically motivated it makes Paris Hilton look like a Buddhist monk.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 9):

E pur si muove -Galileo

ALTF4

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):
Perry's christianity is so hollow, transparent, and politically motivated it makes Paris Hilton look like a Buddhist monk.

I lol'd!   (in reference to Paris Hilton)

Quoting tugger (Reply 11):

"Although Perry invited all the nation's governors, members of Congress and the Obama administration, it was not clear who would attend."

Source: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139051...ks-god-to-pray-for-nations-leaders

Obama, all of congress, and every single governor are all Chrisitans? News to me!

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):

At least you're consistent. Is it acceptable for a governor or the President to, when he sees fit and during personal time (not that either necessarily get much), host a religious study or gathering with friends at their home? Just curious. Not flame bait or anything... just curious.

Ken777

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
If he would keep his religious views to himself, he would be more palatable.

I believe that what you see is for public consumption. He needs the Christian Rightand it's an easy approach to get them.

Overall I see him as Bush III and not much more.

Key factor here will be his years as Governor being put under the microscope. He has enough of a record for us to see his successes as well as his failures.

Tugger

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 10):

Funny thing is, times change.... Slavery is discovered to not be OK, women are found to be capable of voting, and involving religion in politics, particularly elevating a single religion as being "best", is discovered to be a bad thing....

Of course that doesn't take away anything from George Washington being a great leader and the best leader we could have hoped for at the time. And I suspect that had been a leader today, he would know that, as it was the right thing to do to not seek further election when others were begging him to, he would turn down something like Perry attended.

Tugg

mt99

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):

I believe that what you see is for public consumption. He needs the Christian Rightand it's an easy approach to get them.

Which makes it even the more scary. Shudder...

Tugger

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 13):
"Although Perry invited all the nation's governors, members of Congress and the Obama administration, it was not clear who would attend."

Source: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/06/139051...ks-god-to-pray-for-nations-leaders

Obama, all of congress, and every single governor are all Chrisitans? News to me!

You can invite anyone you want to a flag burning, chances are those that are not of similar belief will not attend so those invitations are hollow.

Just curious, how do you view his faith against Matthew 6:5-6:

English Standard Version
6:5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.

6:6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

King James Bible
6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Tugg

[Edited 2011-08-08 13:22:57]

WesternA318

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Im thrilled with the news. Him or Bachmann will come out ahead. Just my opinion.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

ALTF4

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 17):

I'll reply, but leave it at that at risk of pulling this even more off topic. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

I believe that the passage is saying not to make a show or a spectacle of how holy you must be because you are praying. The Bible, though, is filled with instances of people praying in public. I personally (please note that word) don't see anything wrong with leading others in prayer.

I said some other things that sounded pretty good (well, to me at least   ), but A.net apparently doesn't sanitize user input and interpreted something I wrote as an HTML comment and deleted everything after that... which was most of my post... and now I don't remember everything I said.

You can invite anyone you want to a flag burning, chances are those that are not of similar belief will not attend so those invitations are hollow.

My point was, if it was only for Christians, why would he invite non-Christians? If he invited non-Christians, it must not have been only for Christians. To your point, if I invited you to a flag burning and said "only people who like burning flags may attend", you wouldn't have really been invited since I precluded you.

Of course, it is almost a certainty that only those with similar religious views showed up - but that does not mean it was only for them. Others were welcome, I would assume.

[Edited 2011-08-08 13:41:23]

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
If he would keep his religious views to himself,

Why? He isn't allowed to be a man of faith? One of the Seals we lost in Afghanistan was a main of faith and told his grandmother not to worry because even if he fell he would be with the Lord. MSNBC ate it up but once an elected official does it no good? I am not religious and don't believe in divine intervention but do believe there is a God and if some want to practice their faith in the open so be it. In fact it's pretty refreshing.

Quoting CometII (Reply 2):
Great, as if we really need another cowboy from Texas getting to the White House.

The lawyers from the Ivy league aren't doing so hot lately. I would take someone from Texas any day.

Quoting tugger (Reply 6):
How well does he deal with a split legislature? Sure he can deal with Republican's but how will he do with disruptive Democrats and TP'ers?

Hopefully the GOP can gain enough seats in the Senate to negate the RINOs. His approach is going to be the same as Boehner's and the question is not the TP but the Pelosi's caucus' refusal to cut anything substantial.

I don't believe anyone that pulls a stunt like a day of prayer is smart enough to lead a nation.

Yet it's ok to go listen to a preacher say "GOD DAMN AMERICA"? and not leave? Even after Oprah did? Again I will take Perry's beliefs over Obama's.

Quoting tugger (Reply 11):

Source? Funny I didn't see a sign that said that the event.

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 13):

Who said you have to be Christian to go to a prayer event?

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 14):
Key factor here will be his years as Governor being put under the microscope. He has enough of a record for us to see his successes as well as his failures.

Bring it on. I just watched our market bleed red and heard a speech that told us absolutely nothing and still said he wouldn't cut anything substantial. We are watching epic fail on the biggest level right before our eyes so I doubt you will be able to find something worse with Perry.

Actually it means the people who don't share the beliefs are pretty hollow, I doubt if Rep Ellison arrived he would be turned away in fact I bet Perry would have embraced him.

mt99

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 20):
Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
If he would keep his religious views to himself,

Why? He isn't allowed to be a man of faith?

No, no he has all the right in the world, but that does not change the fact that i don't have to agree with his postures that are based on his religion.

I believe that a President can be religious, and for his religion to help our as a moral compass of sorts, but he/she should be humble enough to realize that there are others that he/she governs who do may not agree with a purely religious approach to issues, and should be "objective" - if you will- when it comes to National Policies.

That being said - his "Day of Prayer" doesn't bode well for the above.

In any case, that is why my fist post explicitly said:

Quoting mt99 (Reply 1):
At least to me.

I even added a smiley face.

FlyPNS1

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:22 pm

I would take someone from Texas any day.

You may not, but once people realize Perry is a clone of GWB, he's going to be in trouble.

And despite the supposed strength of the Texas economy, Perry would leave the state with massive and perpetual deficits. Read this article about Perry and his fiscal management.

http://www.tnr.com/node/90370

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Yet it's ok to go listen to a preacher say "GOD DAMN AMERICA"? and not leave? Even after Oprah did? Again I will take Perry's beliefs over Obama's.

What's the difference? Two irrational "leaders" who both claim to be religious

He isn't allowed to be a man of faith?

Sure he is, and I'm allowed to point out the obvious, that it's blatant pandering to the christian right, whose time is up.

One of the Seals we lost in Afghanistan was a main of faith and told his grandmother not to worry because even if he fell he would be with the Lord

Is he running for office?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Mir

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 22):
Perry is a clone of GWB

And we don't need another one of those, no matter what his hair looks like.

And despite the supposed strength of the Texas economy, Perry would leave the state with massive and perpetual deficits.

The Texas bubble is certainly bursting, and there are significant financial problems facing the state. If people are looking for a fiscally responsible candidate, Perry isn't it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

NIKV69
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:54 pm

You may not, but once people realize Perry is a clone of GWB, he's going to be in trouble.

How is he a clone of Bush?

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
And we don't need another one of those, no matter what his hair looks like.

Well hope and change hasn't really done us well now has it?

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 23):
Is he running for office?

No more importantly he was given a rifle and asked to protect us.

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
The Texas bubble is certainly bursting, and there are significant financial problems facing the state. If people are looking for a fiscally responsible candidate, Perry isn't it.

Source?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom.../2011-06-20-state-gdp-growth_n.htm

ER757

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 25):

How is he a clone of Bush?

It is how he'll be portrayed by anyone running against him. Governor of Texas, Republican = clone of GWB. Guarantee that's how the ads against him will run. There's enough leftover resentment for GWB that it will torpedo his chances. Obama won as much on "Not George Bush" as on his own policies.

Well hope and change hasn't really done us well now has it?

No, it certainly hasn't.

Yet it's ok to go listen to a preacher say "GOD DAMN AMERICA"? and not leave?

I didn't see where anyone said it was OK - did I miss that post?

tommy767

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:23 pm

He's a little conservative but better than Obama. He's got some liberal beliefs such as pro legalization of pot and creating an executive mandate to get all young girls the HPV vaccine for free. He's got some good intentions for sure.

At this point I wish Jon Huntsman had more attention. He's my favorite. Maybe it will be Perry/Huntsman 2012, who knows?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:23 pm

No more importantly he was given a rifle and asked to protect us.

I'm sure Perry will somehow transparently capitalize on that as well
E pur si muove -Galileo

Aaron747

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:24 pm

We'll see what the Christian fundies do with the rumors of Perry's sexuality. Somebody is already working a smear campaign against him with the leaking of all his poor grades from Texas A&M. It definitely didn't come from the Democratic camp.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MaverickM11

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 29):
We'll see what the Christian fundies do with the rumors of Perry's sexuality. Somebody is already working a smear campaign against him with the leaking of all his poor grades from Texas A&M. It definitely didn't come from the Democratic camp.

Sleep with dogs...
E pur si muove -Galileo

Ken777

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:03 am

I would take someone from Texas any day.

Bush III

I just watched our market bleed red

ANd if you take the last month you will see that the markets have shed $2 Trillion in value. Lots of people's retirements permanently damaged because of the Tea Party Billiards * Downgrade.

We are watching epic fail on the biggest level right before our eyes so I doubt you will be able to find something worse with Perry.

The fall of the BIGGEST level was the Bush/Cheney collapse from 14000+ to the 6000 range. The $2 Trillion Tea Party fall is small compared to that, but the Tea Party hasn't quit yet, so they may drag us down to Bush II's level.

Especially if we end up with Bush III,   

Dreadnought

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:35 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 31):
Lots of people's retirements permanently damaged because of the Tea Party Billiards * Downgrade.
Quoting Ken777 (Reply 31):
The $2 Trillion Tea Party fall

I find it fascinating to see you continue to harp on this as you have for days, even weeks. I'm no psychologist but it seems to be some sort of psychosis with you. Tea Party Derangement Syndrome.

The downgrade proved conclusively that the TP was right. Last week, for the first time in history, US debt was cut to below AAA. That wasn’t supposed to happen. For months we saw President Obama and the media pillorying conservatives for inviting Armageddon by opposing the lifting of the debt ceiling without substantive cuts in government spending. When the “Hobbits,” as the Wall Street Journal dubbed them, were undone by the squishy wing of the GOP and we had our “grand compromise,” that was supposed to avoid a downgrade.

Just as many of the Hobbits had suggested, the grand compromise did nothing to allay fears about Uncle Sam’s finances and lo and behold four days after the deal was signed Standard and Poors reacted as any respectable rating agency would and downgraded our debt. (Perhaps they were trying to repair a reputation left in tatters after the debacles of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.) Now the country finds itself in the same position it might have otherwise except that now we have an ineffective debt deal that will not only allow spending to grow, but will allow taxes to rise.

Your blaming the TP is simply blaming the messenger.

"The first messenger that gave notice of Lucullus's coming was so far from pleasing Tigranes that he had his head cut off for his pains; and no man daring to bring further information, without any intelligence at all, Tigranes sat while war was already blazing around him, giving ear only to those who flattered him..."

- Plutarch
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

Mir

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:58 am

Source?

Did you read FlyPNS1's article? I'm not denying that Texas' economy did very well over the past decade, but much like the national economy a few years ago, things are starting to fall apart there - a lot of stuff that's going to need to be paid for, but they can't find the money to do it. And sometimes when they can find the money, Perry won't let the legislature use it for whatever reason.

-Mir

ltbewr

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:59 am

This is all we need, another narrowminded, anti-government, pro-corporate, 2nd Amendment absolutist, so-called Christian as a Presidential candidate.

Superfly

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 am

Rick Perry expanded his sausage factory and has been very successful.
That is far more impressive than anything that community organizer did prior to running for office.
I'm not a fan of Perry's religious views but I'm not a fan of Obama's religious views either.
Perry's national day of prayer is harmless. It's ironic that the media turns a blind eye or in some cases fawn over Obama when he goes to mosque, quotes from the qur’an and bows before Islamic dictators. Yet Perry prays and they press goes berserk.
Bring back the Concorde

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:41 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):
Perry's national day of prayer is harmless. It's ironic that the media turns a blind eye or in some cases fawn over Obama when he goes to mosque, quotes from the qur’an and bows before Islamic dictators. Yet Perry prays and they press goes berserk.

Thanks for injecting some sanity into the thread Larry.

gigneil

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):
It's ironic that the media turns a blind eye or in some cases fawn over Obama when he goes to mosque, quotes from the qur’an and bows before Islamic dictators. Yet Perry prays and they press goes berserk.

One is respect. The other is talking to imaginary people. Personally, I think there's a difference.

NS

gigneil

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 am

Actually, that's crap. The primary reason for the downgrade was that S&P did not believe the Republican party was able to control TP intransigence and, as a result, they couldn't believe we'd be willing to take steps to repay our debt.

The TP was the driving factor behind the downgrade, and the S&P statement explicitly blames them.

Also lets sum up who is to blame for the current situation in one infographic:

NS

[Edited 2011-08-08 20:36:10]

Superfly

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:01 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 37):
One is respect. The other is talking to imaginary people. Personally, I think there's a difference.

Respect is fine as long as one is consistent in showing respect for different religions. If Obama praises Islam while mocking Christianity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sy9kMxOEVs
Bring back the Concorde

Centre

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Thread starter):
He has the hair, the look and gives probably a better speech than our tele reader. Not to mention some actual executive experience.

looks like he already got your vote.

Wasn't he the guy who threatened the secession of Texas from the Union? And now he believes in the USA?

Please, until now, we are still struggling with what that governor of Texas (GWB) left us in, we saw what the bible in the hand did to us.
and now another "praise the lord" from Texas.

Wonder what will be left of USA, after his first term if he ever wins!!!
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

BN747

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:36 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 34):
This is all we need, another narrowminded, anti-government, pro-corporate, 2nd Amendment absolutist, so-called Christian as a Presidential candidate.

That's exactly how 49 other states and few denizens of Vegas and spots in Arizona will see it.

When people of the other 49 states here 'Texas, Texas and Texas..'..there will be no way they'll fall for that again..no matter whose behind the wheel (podium).

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
That is far more impressive than anything that community organizer did prior to running for office.

That's old, tired, lame and palinesque.. when did communities needing help to better, uplift themselves become the focus of damnation. Oh that;s right, when that fly-weight of an intellectual Sarah Palin deemed it so. Good to know someone is 'still' listening to her.

I'll take a 'community organizer' over your average CEO of anything, anyday. I know how most CEOs are made..by playing it safe, taking no sides, biding your time and climbing over bodies you help trip up to get there. Oh and slashing jobs (aka cutting payrolls) so you can say 'your company turned a profit'.. yeah, gimme the 'community organizer anyday over a corporate scumbucket.

I'm not a fan of Perry's religious views but I'm not a fan of Obama's religious views either.

Fake christianity and your suspected secret islam worshiper...hmmm the cliff can't be much further form here.

Perry's national day of prayer is harmless.

I learned my lesson very well from George Bush's 'compassionate Conservative' and 'God told me' mentality from the last disasterous 8 years. Politicians wrapping themselves up in God and Flags are to be avoided at all cost...it's dangerous and costly, don't need to see a repeat.

It's ironic that the media turns a blind eye or in some cases fawn over Obama when he goes to mosque, quotes from the qur’an and bows before Islamic dictators.

Sarah Palin couldn't have said it better,,,

Quoting Centre (Reply 40):
Wasn't he the guy who threatened the secession of Texas from the Union? And now he believes in the USA?

Exactly, imagine if Sen. Obama had said, illinois should succeed from the US of A, then ran for office. It would be posted in every political thread on this site all the way up til the 2012 election. But since Perry DID say those exact words...silence from the "USA, USA" right-wing crowd..." they've completely forgotten, the man they cheer today who wanted to break apart the very USA they cherish.

Astonishing...

Sorry, Texas had it's chance, twice and blew it like no one else could.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

MAH4546

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:43 am

Perry, Bachman or Romeny. Doesn't matter - there is no way a democrat can win the electoral college. Indiana, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio and Florida won't be so stupid as to vote blue again. Combined with the six electoral votes that red states gained with the 2010 census, all the GOP needs is a measly four electoral votes. Nevada alone does it.

I'm a socially progressive Republican that is anything but religious and supports gay marriage. I'm still going to vote GOP regardless of that candidates view on religion or gay marriage, and so will others like me. And so will indpendents.

Obama is the single worst President in American history. He isn't even a leader - he just interrupts a lot of television programming to give the same exact speech on a weekly basis, in different words. He's oblivious to how many problems he has caused and blames everything except the person who is responsible for it: him.

But America is better off in the long run for his failure of a presidency. It ensures the Republican party will have a very long lock on the national government will into the decade. While swing states like Florida, North Carolina and Nevada turn solid red, blue states like Michigan, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are becoming the swing states.

[Edited 2011-08-09 00:51:56]
a.

Geezer

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:58 am

[quote=mt99,reply=1]If he would keep his religious views to himself, he would be more palatable. At least to me.

I think they would all be wise to be a little less vocal about religion

[quote=CometII,reply=2]Great, as if we really need another cowboy from Texas getting to the White House.

It would sure beat the hell out of a back room community organizer from Chicago !

[quote=Aaron747,reply=29]We'll see what the Christian fundies do with the rumors of Perry's sexuality. Somebody is already working a smear campaign against him with the leaking of all his poor grades from Texas A&M. It definitely didn't come from the Democratic camp.

So now we're going to hear "rumors" about the mans "sexuality" are we ? Kind sounds like something moveon.org would come up with!

[quote=Ken777,reply=31]ANd if you take the last month you will see that the markets have shed $2 Trillion in value. Lots of people's retirements permanently damaged because of the Tea Party Billiards * Downgrade.

Come on Ken, GWB has been gone for 3 yrs now; ( and the "tea party isn't running the country now, your "hereo" is!

[quote=Ken777,reply=31]The fall of the BIGGEST level was the Bush/Cheney collapse from 14000+ to the 6000 range. The $2 Trillion Tea Party fall is small compared to that, but the Tea Party hasn't quit yet, so they may drag us down to Bush II's level.

Ohooooooooooooooooooo! ( see last reply )

[quote=Superfly,reply=35]Rick Perry expanded his sausage factory and has been very successful.

Well said my man! Couldn't have said better myself................

Here's the whole problem with this "topic".....................................

80% of the people responding are are people who voted for Obama; that's pretty obvious;
Trying to convince Obama supporters that he's "wrong" is an exercise in futility, so I'm not even going to try; I don't feel "futile"...........

We have an election coming up; the Republicans want the White House back, ( which is their right ) and to do that, they need a candidate; at this point, if 10,000 Republicans were angling to become the nominee of the Republican Party, this same 80% would have the same old reasons why each and every one of them was "unfit to serve"!

Hey! If you don't like the guy, don't vote for him! ( or her ) Why do I even CARE who you don't want to run on the "other" ticket? I DON"T care!

Personally, I'd like to see Herman Cain get the nomination; and I'd like to see him name Walter Williams as his running mate.

After 3 years of watching the country decend in a downward spiral, I think you're going to find out ( next November ) that if Herbert Hoover would "come back to life" and run, he would probably beat "your guy"! So enough of this whining and commiserating about who the Republicans run; Just remember one thing..........................

The voters who are going to decide who wins the White House next year aren't even on this forum! And I'm guessing 99% of them are not the least bit worried about who you don't like either..........................( Just sayin' )

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

ltbewr

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:09 am

The thing is that Gov. Perry is more likely to be the candidate as he will have a proven record of creating jobs, in part from low taxes, limited government, strong 'Christian' beliefs (but not a Mormon), minimal social programs for the poor, of leading a state pretty much the ideal place that many right-center voters like. Texas has not been an epicenter of the recent housing bubble-bust like many other states due in part of much higher oil/natural gas prices rather than manufactured goods as well as experience with past busts (as in the mid to late 1980's). Texas and Gov. Perry have no problems with execution of capital criminals, thus getting the 'law and order' type voter. He does not have the apparent baggage of other candidates we have seen dragged out.

tommy767

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with Islam itself but for Obama it has been this questionable, non-transparent faith between all the Reverand Wright BS. Not sure why he gets off so easy but Perry is labeled as this extreme Christian.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 41):
Sorry, Texas had it's chance, twice and blew it like no one else could.

Well sorry to break it to you but Texas is a big state and to lump Bush and Perry in the same category is beyond stupidity.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 42):

I'm a socially progressive Republican that is anything but religious and supports gay marriage. I'm still going to vote GOP regardless of that candidates view on religion or gay marriage, and so will others like me. And so will indpendents.

Also to note that Perry has never gone on the record to say he is against gay marriage -- he summed up that it should be left up to the states and majority rules.

While swing states like Florida, North Carolina and Nevada turn solid red, blue states like Michigan, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are becoming the swing states.

NC, FL, NV, MI and PA will likely be Red but NJ is definitely going to be blue. NJ has become fairly liberal over the years.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Mir

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 45):
There is nothing wrong with Islam itself but for Obama it has been this questionable, non-transparent faith between all the Reverand Wright BS. Not sure why he gets off so easy but Perry is labeled as this extreme Christian.

He's not an extreme Christian. He's just very loud about his views. Can't say the same about Obama.

-Mir

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:48 pm

It's Sophie's choice 
Also to note that Perry has never gone on the record to say he is against gay marriage -- he summed up that it should be left up to the states and majority rules

His commitment against gay marriage is about as politically convenient and transparent as his commitment to christianity

Quoting Mir (Reply 46):
He's just very loud about his views

He's very typically Texan--big hat, no cattle.
E pur si muove -Galileo

FlyPNS1

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Also to note that Perry has never gone on the record to say he is against gay marriage -- he summed up that it should be left up to the states and majority rules.

He has publicly stated that he supports a federal amendment banning gay marriage. Given that, I'd say he's against it.

NC, FL, NV, MI and PA will likely be Red but NJ is definitely going to be blue. NJ has become fairly liberal over the years.

Not so sure on FL or MI. MI is heavily blue collar and union and remember if conservatives had their way, the auto industry in Michigan would have completely collapsed. I don't see Perry being real popular in Michigan.

As for Florida, conservative attacks on Medicare, plus the extremely poor ratings of Florida Governor Scott (a tea party wunderkid) make Florida a toss up.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 32):
Your blaming the TP is simply blaming the messenger.

But the downgrade is exactly what the TP wanted. The TP's primary goal right now is to trash the economy anyway possible to ensure that Obama doesn't get re-elected.

NIKV69
Topic Author

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 48):
He has publicly stated that he supports a federal amendment banning gay marriage. Given that, I'd say he's against it.

Maybe his view on gay marriage can "evolve" like Obama.   

What makes this so funny is social views never have much to do with a presidential election. Independents can give a rat's butt. They want our economy to recover.

Not so sure on FL or MI. MI is heavily blue collar and union and remember if conservatives had their way, the auto industry in Michigan would have completely collapsed. I don't see Perry being real popular in Michigan.

Don't blame the GOP for the fact the UAW was a thug cult who watched as GM went down the tubes and couldn't pay the bloated salaries and pensions as they made a car nobody wanted. I mean really.

But the downgrade is exactly what the TP wanted. The TP's primary goal right now is to trash the economy anyway possible to ensure that Obama doesn't get re-elected.

No the TP wanted a deal that put on a path to paying our debt. Which has to include entitlement reform. The President knew it but couldn't fight off his class hate caucus like Feinstein and Frank and let the stalemate go to the end. Obama is going to lose next year but it won't be anybody's fault but his own.