skysurfer
Topic Author

NDP's Jack Layton Has Died

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Heard on the radio this morning and just saw a flash at CBC's website that Jack Layton lost his battle with Cancer.

All politics aside he was actually a pretty decent, down to earth guy and i'm sure he'll be sorely missed by many people.

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

YYZatcboy

RE: NDP's Jack Layton Has Died

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 pm

http://livenews.thestar.com/Event/Jack_Layton_dead_at_61

RIP. We are down a Opposition Leader, NDP leader, and an all around nice guy. Jack helped moderate the tone of Federal Politics and IMO was the most likeable Federal party leader.

He will be missed.
DHC1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30 B727 735/6/7/8/9 762/3 E175/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150. J/S DH8D 736/7/8

FoxTwo

Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:20 pm

As much as I may have disagreed with his politics, he was a beyond admirable and iconic figure. People voted for "Jack". How often does one gather so much confidence from the people?

RIP Jack
F2

TheCol

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

As much as I disliked his politics, Jack Layton, IMHO, was probably the most upstanding politician we've had in 20 years. It takes a man with some serious stones to put his constituents and MP's above his own health. I salute his dedication to his fellow citizens. Jack has definitely left some big shoes to fill on Parliament Hill, and that goes for all MP's out there regardless of what party they belong to.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Jean Leloup

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Was very sad and shocked to hear this. Even though his health problems were well-known, I personally still had no sense that it was this bad - was still hoping he'd be back in the fall. He was a little too left for me (which is saying something as I'm no conservative!), but I still voted NDP in the last election based on the strength and sincerity of his character, which seemed lacking in every other party. A very decent, respectable man.

I was glad to read Harper's comments - I'm always most curious about what the 'enemy' will say, and his words seemed heartfelt and sincere. Gives one a little hope.

JL
Next flight.... who knows.

brilondon

Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:23 pm

I would like to add my condolences to the Layton family and feel that there will be one less decent man in politics in Canada. I would never vote for him due to his party's policies but as a man he was one to be admired.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

dlowwa

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Quoting YYZatcboy (Reply 1):
RIP. We are down a Opposition Leader, NDP leader, and an all around nice guy. Jack helped moderate the tone of Federal Politics and IMO was the most likeable Federal party leader.
Quoting FoxTwo (Reply 2):
As much as I may have disagreed with his politics, he was a beyond admirable and iconic figure. People voted for "Jack". How often does one gather so much confidence from the people?

Even though I'm not a huge NDP supporter, I had huge respect for Jack. I wonder how long it will take to find another politician who will be as respected as him on the national scale.

Ferminios

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Rest in Peace Jack Layton. As a former Canadian resident I found him to be one of the most exemplary and characteristic members of Parliament. Although I consider myself conservative, the character of Layton was something Harper, or really any politcal leader in Canada couldn't match. I watched him speak on TV while Andrew Sheer was appointed as speaker of the House 8 weeks ago and despite the fact that he had still trouble walking the man looked full of energy and it is hard to believe that he's gone now. Things can change quickly and it shows that we need to enjoy life to the fullest.

He wrote a letter 2 days ago, which can be found here:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Le...+hasn+gone+well/5289262/story.html

Jack, you'll be in our hearts forever.  

[Edited 2011-08-22 13:57:19]

photopilot

Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 pm

A man of passionate beliefs and infinite good cheer. We'll miss you Smiling Jack. RIP.

skyservice_330

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:24 pm

From his last letter to Canadians, written two days before his death:

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.

All my very best,
Jack Layton
August 20, 2011.

We have lost a passionate statesmen and a one-of-a-kind politician. It has been touching to see Canadians of all ages, backgrounds, and political stripes expressing their sadness.

A state funeral is to be held Saturday in Toronto.

hoons90

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:43 pm

I would like to express my deep sadness in hearing that Mr. Layton has passed away. This just happened so quickly, and my thoughts and sympathies goes out to his family during this difficult time.

He was truly a charismatic and passionate politician with exemplary character.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

squared

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:45 am

He will be terribly missed. And while I disagreed with some of his politics, he was one of the few admirable politicians. He was a force to be reckoned with, and his charisma, optimism, and general good-nature made Canadian politics much more than just mud-slinging.

RIP Jack Layton.

Boeing744

Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:55 am

I echo the others above. While I didn't agree with Jack politically, I could never say that he was not a shrewd politician and an honourable man. My sincerest condolences to his family. I really hope Olivia can find the strength to continue her work for her own riding - although that is her own decision to make.

Also, kudos to Harper for offering a state funeral. That is certainly appropriate.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:58 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 4):
Was very sad and shocked to hear this. Even though his health problems were well-known, I personally still had no sense that it was this bad - was still hoping he'd be back in the fall.

Me too. I was very surprised and saddened by the news this morning. I had no idea his diagnosis was this serious.

He did seem to be a good man who really tried to do his best for Canada and Canadians. I'm happy that he was able to bring his party to the new heights it reached in the last election. His work was not done, but he saw the fruits of his work so far.

Canada has suffered a great loss today.
But that was when I ruled the world