Aloha717200
Topic Author

Trump Considering Independent Bid

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:53 pm

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...y-ahead-of-meeting/?iref=allsearch

Quote:
Trump boasted of his ranking as “number one in the polls” before he announced he would not seek the GOP nomination in June, but didn’t discount the possibility that he may yet have a candidacy to declare.
“If the Republicans choose the wrong candidate…and if the economy continues to be bad…I will certainly consider [running for the presidency] as an independent,” Trump confirmed.

I find this interesting. If Trump runs, he would likely pull some of the more moderate Republican voters. This could prove troublesome in 2012 because the offset might be something like the Nader effect in 2000.

I believe the Republicans would do anything in their power to prevent him from running in 2012. Thoughts?

Tugger

RE: Trump Considering Independent Bid

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Thread starter):
I find this interesting. If Trump runs, he would likely pull some of the more moderate Republican voters. This could prove troublesome in 2012 because the offset might be something like the Nader effect in 2000.

I believe the Republicans would do anything in their power to prevent him from running in 2012. Thoughts?

Everything Trump does id for his own wealth, self aggrandizement, and benefit. If he does run, it will be to get attention, and move the discussion in a certain way. Then at a certain point he will jump out "For the good of the country and not split important votes". Not that I don't think he couldn't be worse than Perry, he is at least not into the religion/social/moral engineering aspect of things.

Tugg

[Edited 2011-09-15 09:23:53]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Mir

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 1):
Not that I don't think he couldn't be worse than Perry, he is at least not into the religion/social/moral engineering aspect of things.

Well, as long as we're not counting his idea of himself as a godlike figure as "religion". Because he's pretty into trying to get people to worship him.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Superfly

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:46 pm

It would be a big mistake for Trump to run as an independent. He would guarantee a 2nd term for Obama.

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
Well, as long as we're not counting his idea of himself as a godlike figure as "religion". Because he's pretty into trying to get people to worship him.

Hmmm, kinda like Obama?
Many thought Obama was the 2nd coming of Jesus. Just look at all the fan worship that surrounded Obama '08.
I haven't seen any Trump t-shirts, posters, paintings, etc.
Bring back the Concorde

KPDX

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
Hmmm, kinda like Obama?
Many thought Obama was the 2nd coming of Jesus. Just look at all the fan worship that surrounded Obama '08.

I'll answer for some others before they can.

Please stop being so racist. You obviously are saying this because the color of his skin.   

Not sure if I would vote for Trump though... We will see what he brings to the table if he runs.

[Edited 2011-09-15 10:00:21]
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

Tugger

Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:59 pm

This I don't get, it is an artificial construct by some out there to stir things up.

I don't know ANYONE that thought or thinks that President Obama is "the second coming of Jesus". Just because some people were excited to see an African American in the running, and were wildly in support of him and made things in support of him, others decided to take offense.

There just isn't any need to be offended, I just don't get why you or anyone else actually seeks out to be offended by the level of support and attention it drew by making up a stupid "second coming" statement. It's as bad as those that said "Bush is the devil". It's silly and it's unintelligent to keep repeating it as if it were actually true. It's not.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

CPH-R

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Ratings are that bad again, eh?

Dreadnought

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 5):
I don't know ANYONE that thought or thinks that President Obama is "the second coming of Jesus". Just because some people were excited to see an African American in the running, and were wildly in support of him and made things in support of him, others decided to take offense.

"second coming" might be a bit strong, but I don't remember another presidential candidate whose supporters wrote songs about him for schoolchildren to sing. If you find that sort of adoration not just a little bit offensive, you have no idea what this country is about. We are not supposed to put our politicians on pedestals. They are public servants.

Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

ER757

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):

Hmmm, kinda like Obama?

The difference is that it is Trump himself who feels "godlike." Obama didn't but yeah, a lot of his supporters sure did. Didn't Oprah call him "the chosen one" or "the one" or something like that?

If Trump runs, he would likely pull some of the more moderate Republican voters. This could prove troublesome in 2012 because the offset might be something like the Nader effect in 2000.

Good analogy - that's exactly what I was thinking when I read the story

Tugger

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 7):
"second coming" might be a bit strong, but I don't remember another presidential candidate whose supporters wrote songs about him for schoolchildren to sing. If you find that sort of adoration not just a little bit offensive, you have no idea what this country is about. We are not supposed to put our politicians on pedestals. They are public servants.

Adoration, songs about, whatever, yes, it is extreme and a bit distasteful. But to go and make an issue of it? A big issue of it? People can pretty much do what they want in the USA regarding this. We idolize athletes, and celebrity, and "patriots" and all sorts of people in ways that are really uncalled for and unearned. But it's not something to make a big deal about and to focus on beyond trying to get people to stop doing it.

Tugg

OA412
Crew

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):

Remind us all who you voted for in '08...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Superfly

Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:58 am

I just don't get why you or anyone else actually seeks out to be offended by the level of support

"offended"?
When did I ever say I was "offended" by his level of support?

Quoting ER757 (Reply 8):
The difference is that it is Trump himself who feels "godlike."

He does?

Quoting ER757 (Reply 8):
Didn't Oprah call him "the chosen one" or "the one" or something like that?

Yep.   

Quoting OA412 (Reply 10):
Remind us all who you voted for in '08...

We all make mistakes.
You told me to "stop" reminding everyone that I voted for him.   
Bring back the Concorde

Rara

Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:22 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 4):
I'll answer for some others before they can.

Please stop being so racist.

Which members precisely would have posted that if you hadn't? Can you give us a list?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:46 pm

the offset might be something like the Nader effect in 2000

I'm thinking more Ross Perot than Ralph Nader. Trump has the potential to upset the numbers in both parties.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
We all make mistakes.

Dude, I voted for Carter! ::shake head:: What was I thinking? (I actually like the man, think he's done some great things in a quiet unassuming way since leaving office, he just wasn't ready to be president.)
International Homo of Mystery

seb146

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 pm

I don't know ANYONE that thought or thinks that President Obama is "the second coming of Jesus".

The right-wing talking heats gave him that nickname.

Will Trump run? Probably not. He needs to drum up buzz about another season of his show and he has been out of the headlines for a while now. We do not need another pro-big business/anti-middle class candidate running. There are about 8 too many of them as it is....
Life in the wall is a drag.

Superfly

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
Dude, I voted for Carter! ::shake head:: What was I thinking?

Can't beat up on ourselves when we elect politicians that disappoint us.
Jimmy Carter is a great man and had great intentions. He was President during a very difficult time economically and was not a good spokesman/salesman. Deep down in his heart, Carter really cared and wanted to do the right thing. Obama on the other hand is arrogant, has a huge ego and is only interested in scoring points against the Republicans and not interested in solutions. I think it's a shame that people accuse Donald Trump with 'ego'. It is such an unfair label for Trump.
Wanna see ego? Look no further than this....

Bring back the Concorde

Mir

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:03 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 7):
If you find that sort of adoration not just a little bit offensive, you have no idea what this country is about. We are not supposed to put our politicians on pedestals. They are public servants.

We've been putting our politicians on pedestals for years. We name buildings after them, we name schools after them, we name roads and bridges after them, we name airports after them, etc. (and let's not forget the virtual deity that Reagan is to the GOP - hell, nobody can be a presidential candidate on the Republican ticket until they make a pilgrimage to the Reagan Presidential Library). Lionizing politicians is not a new phenomenon for the US.

The only thing new about Obama is that he's the first president to assume office in the social media boom, where people's support of a certain candidate can be far more visible than it used to be, and thus the incentive to go all out is stronger. Whoever ends up being the 45th president is almost certainly going to have a similar following.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ER757

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Wanna see ego? Look no further than this....

You're missing the point. I'm pretty sure Barry O didn't market or endorse any of those items himself. So to show those and use them as examples of his ego is disingenuous. While I agree he has a pretty big ego (hell, anyone who thinks he should be president has to) t-shirts people made up do not show this. Unlike say, a guy painting his own name on a helicopter, airplane, building, golf course etc. Gee, who could I be talking about?

LMP737

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:13 am

IMHO this just another attempt by Trump to get some free press. Given his reaction to the jokes made at his expense shows he's way to thin skinned for a campaign.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Superfly

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:09 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 17):
Unlike say, a guy painting his own name on a helicopter, airplane, building, golf course etc. Gee, who could I be talking about?

'Trump' is also a company and many companies do have their name on their aircraft, trucks, vans and cars. Would you accuse Colonel Sanders for having an ego?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington

I'm pretty sure Barry O didn't market or endorse any of those items himself.

He isn't marketing it but many of the funds do go to his campaign so it is an endorsement of sorts.

While I agree he has a pretty big ego (hell, anyone who thinks he should be president has to)

Very true and its unfair to single out Trump for having an ego.
Bring back the Concorde

BN747

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:27 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
and its unfair to single out Trump for having an ego.

If that's true...then this

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):

Hmmm, kinda like Obama?

...is as equally 'unfair' if not more. Obama is far more gracious and humble that Trump. No comparison in this or any other universe on the ego charge.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
We all make mistakes.

Dude, I voted for Carter! ::shake head:: What was I thinking?

Believe it or not, it was the smarter vote. Ford would have been a lukewarm body in a chair as he was and had Reagan won the Primary and became the nominee and won..we would have had that much more of that crook Edwin Meese that much earlier and that would have been too close for comfort for domestic civil unrest across the board. Carter had a great 'bringing together' effect on a extremely divided nation that Nixon/Ford had governed over. It's amazing how easily people forget the things they take for granted.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

rfields5421

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:27 am

I'm sure neither party wants a 3rd party/independent candidate in 2012.

The memory that Nader did actually put George Bush into the White House with the single county votes in Florida haunts the Democrats. As does the memory of George Wallace in 68. The Republicans remember how many votes Perot cost them.

Trump doesn't have enough money to make a Perot type bid.

But it is probably a moot discussion anyway. Trump has been trying to get close to the old-line Republican party darling - Rick Perry.

ER757

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Would you accuse Colonel Sanders for having an ego?

Yes, but that's apples and oranges. The good colonel sold his name to the company and was un-involved in any way long before that airplane ever existed. In fact, later in life he was quite critical of KFC

He isn't marketing it but many of the funds do go to his campaign so it is an endorsement of sorts.

That's a bit of a stretch. Look, if you think Obama's ego and need for self-promotion is in the same league as Trump's then we really have nothing further to discuss. I'm not a fan of Obama, think he's way over his head in in current position but Trump is an egomaniac with an insanely high opinion of himself. "Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong"(copyright Dennis Miller).

Superfly

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:58 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 22):
Yes, but that's apples and oranges.

No it's extra crispy and original recipe.

In fact, later in life he was quite critical of KFC

It was around the time they changed the recipe for their biscuits. Was pissed off too.

Trump is an egomaniac with an insanely high opinion of himself.

Nothing wrong with a man being confident in himself.
Bring back the Concorde

soon7x7

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:23 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 4):
Please stop being so racist. You obviously are saying this because the color of his skin

A more ignorant line the likes of which I have never heard...just because an opinion is expressed about the poor performance of a political figure has nothing to do with skin color. Obama is the worst President we have had...his policies are flawed and he is a rote lier. None of those key points are related to skin color. Eric Holder, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi...a ship of fools...their you go...and some are white...g   

Confuscius

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:54 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):
Nothing wrong with a man being confident in himself

A true legend in his own mind!  
Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):

Hey Larry, can I send you a Chia Obama?

Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:03 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 25):
Hey Larry, can I send you a Chia Obama?

Does the head automatically bow when placed in front of dictators?

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 24):
Obama is the worst President we have had...

Nah I'd say he's tied with George W Bush as being the co-worst Presidents.

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 24):
Eric Holder, Joe Biden,

Don't forget;
Jennifer Daskal
Rahm Emanuel
Van Jones
John Bryson
Arne Duncan
Not to mention all of the czars.
Bring back the Concorde

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 pm

I would like to see Donald Trump running in the next US Presidential election.
He would be quite some entertainment. Not a boring minute during his appearances.
I would much rather see him running as the top opponent to Obama even if he is not quite GOP.
Ron Paul would make the perfect third candidate. Let Donald Trump run the show against Obama!

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde