zhiao
Topic Author

Uh, Oh! Madonna Doing Superbowl Halftime Show

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:25 am

Let's see if we see more than one nipple now.

Cadet985

RE: Uh, Oh! Madonna Doing Superbowl Halftime Show

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:32 am

This is America. Can we possibly find someone with an ounce of talent for the Superbowl Halftime Show?

Marc

Gyreaux130J

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:41 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 1):
Ounce of talent

The Who can do it every year as far as I'm concerned
Edit: Yes I know The Who are English

[Edited 2011-10-08 21:55:11]
When all else fails, fly Martin Baker!

2707200X

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:41 am

This is America. Can we possibly find someone with an ounce of talent for the Superbowl Halftime Show?

Nope, not in here at the moment. I suppose Justin Bieber will perform in the immediate future, if not the next Superbowl.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

WestWing

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:45 am

Can we possibly find someone with an ounce of talent for the Superbowl Halftime Show?

Madonna earns $100 million / year. All self-made. Pretty neat trick for someone "without an ounce of talent".
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

Gyreaux130J

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:46 am

Quoting WestWing (Reply 4):

Indeed it is
When all else fails, fly Martin Baker!

BMI727

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:06 am

Quoting zhiao (Thread starter):

If they put the camera on her face it won't matter. They're probably too saggy at this point. Might have been a problem circa 1988, but not so much now.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

KPDX

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:22 am

Madonna earns $100 million / year. All self-made. Pretty neat trick for someone "without an ounce of talent".

Rebecca Black, Miley Cyrus, and Justin Bieber pull off this trick too.   
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

jetjack74

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 am

Knowing her desperation to be back on the front page, we're likely to 4 of 5 nips. She has plenty of time on her hands apparently.
Made from jets!

JakeOrion

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:34 am

Not to knock against Madonna, but I think Katy Perry would be better. Or Bon Jovi.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

N1120A

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:37 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 7):

Madonna's been doing it for almost 30 years. Big difference.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirCanada787

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):

Quoting KPDX (Reply 7):

Madonna's been doing it for almost 30 years. Big difference.

I was going to say the exact same thing.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

ltbewr

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:40 am

From the 1st game in 1967 that became to be known as Super Bowl, halftime entertainment has been a big thing. Early ones had marching bands, groups like 'Up With People', to wierd Disney themed shows. At least Madonna is an American and under 60 years old. The main reason for these shows today is to keep people watching at halftime so they watch the commercials.

Kiwirob

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:34 am

Doubt it, Madnna hasn't exposed herself since the early 90's.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:37 am

Can we possibly find someone with an ounce of talent for the Superbowl Halftime Show?

How about Hank Willams Jr?

luckyone

Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 13):
Doubt it, Madnna hasn't exposed herself since the early 90's.

There's a few stretch marks she has to cover up now.   Not to mention I'm sure anybody working a Superbowl show the last few years is giving a few extra tugs in certain places to make sure the stitching holds.

Neat indeed, and she does it by pretending to sing too!

I think the moment actually detracts from any talent you put up there. Part of the fun of a live performance, especially with these big pop acts, is their interaction with the crowd. But at Halftime you get a half-assed stage a mile away from the nearest audience. Sometimes they pay people to go stand on the field and look adoring, but the performers just look lost and like add ons. It makes it look forced. Then they make it worse by zooming out to show a stadium-wide view, and all I see is blinding lights.

wn700driver

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Seriously? Did you just completely miss everything she did from 1983 - 2000? There's a lot less talent out there then just Madonna.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

PSA53

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Yes.It also was announced that Motley Crue will be her band.   

But I still say that RUSH deserves the "Limelight." They should do "Spirit Of The Radio/Tom Sawyer/Limelight" set.   

They might even get into the HOF afterwards.The NFL HOF,that is.    Because the R n R HOF snubbed RUSH again this year.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

MD11Engineer

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 15):
There's a few stretch marks she has to cover up now. Not to mention I'm sure anybody working a Superbowl show the last few years is giving a few extra tugs in certain places to make sure the stitching holds.

While there might be signs of her being a multiple mom, from what I could see on recent pictures, she still has very much a ballet dancer´s body. I´m also quite sure that she did all kinds of gymnastics during and after her pregnancies to prevent from getting flabby.
Ok, she is very petite, but she doesn´t look bad for a woman in her fifties.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

luckyone

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 18):
Ok, she is very petite, but she doesn´t look bad for a woman in her fifties.

Oh she's in fantastic shape!! You have to be to do what she does. My only qualm with her looks is you can tell the plastic surgery is starting to pile up. I'd rather see a few wrinkles than a scar, and a woman who can't blink.

srbmod

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 pm

At this point, who hasn't seen Madonna naked?   

Quoting luckyone (Reply 19):
My only qualm with her looks is you can tell the plastic surgery is starting to pile up. I'd rather see a few wrinkles than a scar, and a woman who can't blink.

Two words, Joan Rivers......

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 17):

Talk about washed up. I saw them in concert in Las Vegas back in June and even my buddies that have seen them a number of times over the years talked about how bad they were. After the concert, we all joked that we should have left after Poison and gotten back to our hotel in time to see ABC in concert on Fremont Street...... Vince Neil seems to have forgotten most of the lyrics and either has one of the two female backup singers sing or puts the mic towards the crowd and has the crowd sing the song. Tommy Lee's drum solo is not as cool as it once was, as you could tell that parts of it were prerecorded as the solo is less rock and more electronica (although you have to say having the drum kit on a looped track is pretty damn cool).

zhiao
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Her body looks way too muscular, to the extent of it not being femenine, IMO. It's the opposite of Marilyn Monroe or even Kim Kardashian.

Have a look for yourself with these recent pics:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/madonna-nude-pictures-leak-nsfw

Notice she has a six pack!

PSA53

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:55 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 20):

Quoting luckyone (Reply 19):
My only qualm with her looks is you can tell the plastic surgery is starting to pile up. I'd rather see a few wrinkles than a scar, and a woman who can't blink.

Two words, Joan Rivers......

So,does this rule out Madonna doing "Like A Virgin?"   

Quoting srbmod (Reply 20):

Talk about washed up.

That's too bad.MC was one hell of band.It's really sad to see our rockers are going on crutches.Roger Daltery,without Pete, will appearing at the Bowl here in LA doing "Tommy." I'm not excited about that.

[Edited 2011-10-09 13:22:54]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Quoting zhiao (Reply 21):
Have a look for yourself with these recent pics:

She's always had a nice rack, I doubt she ever brest fed her kids.

falstaff

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:02 pm

I don't care who does the half time show. I never watch it. I might glance at it while I am doing something else, but it is by far my least favorite thing of the Superbowl. I watch the game to see football, not some has been singer that I never liked anyway.

When the Superbowl (XL) was in Detroit one of my students was one of the "fans" in the half time show. He got invited because his mom was in some weight loss group that got invited to dance and be "fans" on the field. They were allowed to bring a guest and her son went. He told me he thought it was stupid and never would have went if he knew more about it. His complaint was that they were kept away from the game in a holding area so he could not watch the game and after the show they had to leave, so he had to listen to the game on the radio, on his way home. He told me that he would have rather stayed home so he could have watched the game on television.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 24):
I watch the game to see football, not some has been singer that I never liked anyway.

Problem here is that you can't call Madonna a has been.

canoecarrier

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:38 pm

I don't care who does the half time show. I never watch it. I might glance at it while I am doing something else, but it is by far my least favorite thing of the Superbowl. I watch the game to see football, not some has been singer that I never liked anyway.

It's the perfect time to get another beer or two, eat more hot wings, and visit with friends. I didn't even hear about the Janet Jackson slip until after the game.

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 9):
Not to knock against Madonna, but I think Katy Perry would be better. Or Bon Jovi.

I don't know if they weren't happy with how the Black Eyed Peas show turned out last year or if they're going back and forth between older artists and more contemporary artists since The Who performed the year before the BEPs. I'd like to see Green Day, Kings of Leon, or The Killers instead. In my opinion, every time I've seen Katy Perry do a live performance on TV she sounds like crap.

Could always pick the homestate guy and go with Mellencamp.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

NASCARAirforce

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 am

I don't care for Madonna or any pop music for that matter - but Madonna actually is pretty talented for a pop singer.

They might even get into the HOF afterwards.The NFL HOF,that is. Because the R n R HOF snubbed RUSH again this year.

They've snubbed a lot of rock bands and put cheesy pop bands in first - wouldn't be surprised if they nominate Justin Bieber before Rush.

His complaint was that they were kept away from the game in a holding area so he could not watch the game and after the show they had to leave, so he had to listen to the game on the radio, on his way home. He told me that he would have rather stayed home so he could have watched the game on television.

I've heard that before from a few different sources too.

zhiao
Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:25 am

The Michael Jackson 94 performance was epic.

Someone mentioned "Kings of Leon": are you kidding? Another boring wannabe false rock group? I'd much rather hear Robert Plant do the show himself.

wn700driver

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 27):

I don't care for Madonna or any pop music for that matter - but Madonna actually is pretty talented for a pop singer.

Not just for a pop singer, but for any kind of singer. Her voice is a reliable instrument to tune new stereo settings with, and her range and resonation are excellent. You can forgive my crude terminology (as I am not a music expert), but the woman is truly one of the rare talents in the world (And hence while I like Lady Gaga, I'm so sick of hearing how she's the next Madonna, when she so isn't!). I'd listen to her sing in any genre she chose.

I will say that there is a notable developmental curve between her earliest work and best (late 1980-early1990s), but at the time she did "Open your Heart" her voice evolved into what I could see being opera quality (seriously listen to that song sometime...). Anyway, if can listen to her beyond the "pop" label and without preconceived notions, you may see what I mean.

I so happen to feel that way about a lot of musicians, including even a few heavy metal acts, like Dream Theatre or Type O Negative. Either of their singers could have done pretty much anything...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

falstaff

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:24 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 25):
Problem here is that you can't call Madonna a has been.

I never hear any of my teenage students talking about her and they never play any of her music at the high school dances. As far as the young people I deal with she is a has been.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 26):
I didn't even hear about the Janet Jackson slip until after the game.

Me too.

Kiwirob

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:48 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 30):
I never hear any of my teenage students talking about her and they never play any of her music at the high school dances. As far as the young people I deal with she is a has been.

That would be becasue her fanbase is in their late 20's, 30's and early 40's. Just because kids don't like someone doesn't mean they are hasbeens.

I was dragged along to a Madonna concert by my wife 2 years ago, there were very few teens, everyone was in the age groups listed above. I've never been a fan, I'll say this much for her she puts on a very impressive show, I would probably see her again.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 29):
I so happen to feel that way about a lot of musicians, including even a few heavy metal acts, like Dream Theatre or Type O Negative. Either of their singers could have done pretty much anything...

Well you won't hear anything more from Type O Negative, singer Peter Steele died last year. Dream Theater singer James LaBrie is great in the studio, but not so great live - I've seen both bands live a few times.

Not just for a pop singer, but for any kind of singer. Her voice is a reliable instrument to tune new stereo settings with, and her range and resonation are excellent.

There are a lot of female rock/metal singers that could sing for any genre:

Sharon den Adel - a Dutch singer, who sings for the heavy metal band Within Temptation, also has done various unplugged and lighter rock acts as well as Opera and even guest vocalled for one of Trance/Techno DJ Armin Van Buren's projects.

Liv Kristine - Norwegian singer of heavy metal band Leave's Eyes (and formerly of Theater of Tragedy) also does opera and techno.

Cristina Scabbia - Italian singer goth/metal band Lacuna Coil started out as a techno/dance singer

Tarja Turunen - Finish singer formerly of the band Nightwish - also does opera and classical.

Venus6971

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm a purist, Would rather see the Texas A&M band perform than any pop singer singing a montage of all their hits. I usally don't watch the halftime show, bathroom break. My wife told me last year the Black eyed Peas stunk up the place. I guess some bands should stay in the studio.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

luckyone

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:20 pm

but at the time she did "Open your Heart" her voice evolved into what I could see being opera quality (seriously listen to that song sometime...).

As much as I love the song, listen to her try to sing it live and your opinion might change! She is clearly singing the chorus over a backing track. Other than a small snippet sung a cappella she has yet to sing the song since the Blond Ambition Tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fr_CfYajsc

airtran737

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Why do they bring in such shitty acts for big events? A very small percentage of football fans are Madonna fans. This is like when Harley Davidson brought in Elton John to by the mystery guest at their 100th anniversary party in Milwaukee.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

falstaff

Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 33):
I'm a purist, Would rather see the Texas A&M band perform than any pop singer singing a montage of all their hits. I usally don't watch the halftime show, bathroom break

I don't know anyone who cares about the half time show. Who actually watches it? Even if I was at the Superbowl I would use that time to get more beer and take a leak.

I think that the half time show is for the non football fans. Most fans that I know just want to see the on the field action.

I for one would love to see a regulation half time length and then get back on the field. The Superbowl is fast becoming the events surrounding the game and not the game itself.

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 35):
Why do they bring in such shitty acts for big events?

I think that it is so they don't out do the event itself. At the Superbowl you don't want the musical act to upstage the football players. If that were to happen you just end up with a concert with a football game before and after, rather than a football game with a crummy concert in the middle of it.

AM744

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Now the question becomes. Who'll sing the US National Anthem? Christina Aguilera was dreadful.

EDICHC

Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 7):

In danger of going a little off-topic here but perhaps the Wall Street protesters are targeting the wrong people.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

wn700driver

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 32):

Well you won't hear anything more from Type O Negative, singer Peter Steele died last year. Dream Theater singer James LaBrie is great in the studio, but not so great live - I've seen both bands live a few times.

Yeah, I know that about TON. I've been to at least one show every tour for about the last 15 years (though I've tried to avoid festivals like Waacken or Bizzare Fest, et al, as I don't like when they had to play the shorter 71 minute set...). Really sucks, but great memories all the same.

I saw Dream Theater a few times, and didn't think the studio to live degradation was all that bad, but it is what it is, I suppose.

As for Sharon den Adel, yes I very much know who she is and think she's great. Most of the stuff of hers I have is her work with Armin van Buren, but I've heard some of her other stuff and think the world of her. I was actually listening to "In and out of Love" (a great flying song I think too!) when I made my reply about Madonna. How's that for coincidental?

Cristina Scabbia is great too, but mostly what I know of her is the LC work.

Couple of questions... You ever listen to Lycia? They're a bunch older, doing something called "darkwave" back in the 80's, but their singer Tara VanFlower, is pretty great too.

Also, and anyone can answer this... Any word on who this is?

http://www.4shared.com/audio/RiX9p91...04-Mandrake_-_Everything_Dies.html

I know they're called Mandrake (and yes it is a TON song from the World Coming Down album they're doing here), but I just cannot get any useful information about this singer. Truly excellent work though. Like Little Mermaid meets heavy metal....

PS, sorry if the link is a little tricky, but it does play, just don't hit "download"

[Edited 2011-10-11 16:29:45]

NASCARAirforce

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 39):
As for Sharon den Adel, yes I very much know who she is and think she's great. Most of the stuff of hers I have is her work with Armin van Buren, but I've heard some of her other stuff and think the world of her. I was actually listening to "In and out of Love" (a great flying song I think too!) when I made my reply about Madonna. How's that for coincidental?

I wasn't aware she did any other projects with Armin Van Buren other than In and Out of Love. I work with a bunch of Armin Van Buren fans at my work. As a matter of fact he flew into MCO a couple weeks back on Air France, and they got to meet him in the FIS area where they work - then saw him that night perform - went right from the 8 hour flight to the stage a few hours later.

Cristina Scabbia is great too, but mostly what I know of her is the LC work.

Well she did the Tout Le Monde remake with Megadeth, stuff with Apocalyptica, Altar Bridge, a duet with Italian singer Franco Battiato - no idea what you call his music, definitely different, and Rezophonic to name a few. Her dance/techno stuff is very hard to find - she was an unknown back then and was unlisted on the tracks.

Couple of questions... You ever listen to Lycia? They're a bunch older, doing something called "darkwave" back in the 80's, but their singer Tara VanFlower, is pretty great too.

I have their CD - Compilation Appearances Volume 2, but it was stuff they did in the late 90s. I never really got into them though but I bought it because they were another artist on Projekt records - was a record label that had a lot of that style of stuff - Love Spirals Downwards, Black Tape for a Blue Girl etc.

I know they're called Mandrake (and yes it is a TON song from the World Coming Down album they're doing here), but I just cannot get any useful information about this singer. Truly excellent work though. Like Little Mermaid meets heavy metal....

I never heard of Mandrake but that was a great cover of Everything Dies - she sounded a little out of place because her vocals were so high compared to Steele's low vocals. I see that there was a compilation made of a Type O tribute, I only have heard of maybe 2 of the bands on there - must be really underground European bands, but that is the case in a lot of my tribute CDs. There was a Dream Theater tribute CD too with a bunch of bands I never heard of and you can't even find this tribute CD anymore.

jcs17

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:03 am

I was actually in the 2nd row, facing the stage, 50 yard line during the Janet Jackson incident. We (my father and I) barely even made a remark when it happened. It wasn't until these African-American guys decked out in gold and silver chains were in front of us started ranting about it that we even realized what happened. I guess they were part of a rapper's posse (guessing, not trying to be racist). The guy in front of me grabbed my leg, and asked, "Did you see that shit?"

As for Madonna, please no. She's so disgusting. Her body is that of a Holocaust survivor. I was once a skinny 10 year old boy, and I saw my body then.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Mir

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:30 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 7):
Rebecca Black

Not going to work. Game's on a Sunday.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

wn700driver

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 40):
I work with a bunch of Armin Van Buren fans at my work. As a matter of fact he flew into MCO a couple weeks back on Air France, and they got to meet him in the FIS area where they work - then saw him that night perform - went right from the 8 hour flight to the stage a few hours later.

Yeah turns out that some of the work I was thinking of was Jennifer Rene and Sophie Ellis Bextor.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 40):
I see that there was a compilation made of a Type O tribute, I only have heard of maybe 2 of the bands on there - must be really underground European bands, but that is the case in a lot of my tribute CDs. There was a Dream Theater tribute CD too with a bunch of bands I never heard of and you can't even find this tribute CD anymore.

Yeah, Blood Sweat and Tears, it was. The remakes for "Girlfriend's Girlfriend," and "Love you to Death" have some pretty great female vocals too. I also really dig Gardens of Ghenna doing "Prelude to Agony." I never actually like that song all that much until I heard the re-do.

I'll have to look around for that Dream Theater tribute...

NASCARAirforce

Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:39 am

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 43):
Yeah turns out that some of the work I was thinking of was Jennifer Rene and Sophie Ellis Bextor.

Yeah he has used various female vocalists just like Delirium has over the years.

Yeah, Blood Sweat and Tears, it was. The remakes for "Girlfriend's Girlfriend," and "Love you to Death" have some pretty great female vocals too. I also really dig Gardens of Ghenna doing "Prelude to Agony." I never actually like that song all that much until I heard the re-do.

Love You to Death would be good with female vocals.

I'll have to look around for that Dream Theater tribute...

I never was able to get it. I ordered it thru CD Baby when I saw it on the site but then I got an email from CD baby saying that it was out of print. I know one of the songs was an Italian band with a female singer doing a cover of You Not Me.