jasp25
Topic Author

IPhone 4s - #SiriFail

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:49 am

if you have iPhone 4s and if you know who Siri is, this is sooo hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F_QePH4ki0
-peace and chicken grease!

aero145

RE: IPhone 4s - #SiriFail

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:16 am

It would make sense that Siri would accept “walk” for “work”, but seriously, this is not a SiriFail but an EnglishFail.

Stealthz

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:24 am

As someone who takes 100+ calls for assistance every day, many from folk who are not native english speakers I can almost sympathise with Siri.

Having said that I am a little surprised a company that places such importance on phrases such as "It just works" is so heavily promoting a "beta" product.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Klaus

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 am

Quoting jasp25 (Thread starter):
if you have iPhone 4s and if you know who Siri is, this is sooo hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F_Qe...H4ki0

Well, he indeed never said anything I would understand as "work", so I would not expect Siri to understand it as such either.

Siri isn't just a fixed-pattern voice command system. You can tell her all kinds of things. But an at least halfway recognizable pronunciation is in fact helpful.

casinterest

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:35 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 3):
Well, he indeed never said anything I would understand as "work", so I would not expect Siri to understand it as such either.

Siri isn't just a fixed-pattern voice command system. You can tell her all kinds of things. But an at least halfway recognizable pronunciation is in fact helpful.

Yeah, but as a computer engineer, this is a bit of a bug, as the only acceptable answers are Cell and Work.
therefore SIRI should have made a best guess and said....."Did you say work?" then send it to a Yes no query.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Klaus

Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 4):
Yeah, but as a computer engineer, this is a bit of a bug, as the only acceptable answers are Cell and Work.
therefore SIRI should have made a best guess and said....."Did you say work?" then send it to a Yes no query.

That could be a way out, but if you're distorting your speech the way the guy in the video was, you generally won't have much success with Siri anyway.

swissy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Too funny  , poor guy  

That would be way to easy, I mean after all we are talking about the I4sssss and all its new gadgets. On the serious side it is a common problem with these voice apps  , I believe the letter R is a tricky one for the Asian people IIRC... Also since you have 2 options, work/home it could have ask for one followed with a yes/no and if no is answered it would default to the other one... sure if you have more than 2 addresses you are out of luck, after all these things are only as smart as we make them  

This is too funny...

Cheerios,

Rara

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):

That could be a way out, but if you're distorting your speech the way the guy in the video was, you generally won't have much success with Siri anyway.

He wasn't distorting his speech... just a regular Chinese accent. The o sound in work (ö for us Germans) doesn't exist in many languages.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Klaus

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 7):
He wasn't distorting his speech... just a regular Chinese accent. The o sound in work (ö for us Germans) doesn't exist in many languages.

Even if it's an accent, it's just no halfway proper english. And if he can't speak the language, he can't use Siri with that language.

Other languages than english, german and french are being prepared as well, as far as I know, so I'd expect that chinese will have a pretty high priority in the second wave. Chinese language support has always been pretty good on the Mac and now on iOS as far as I'm aware.

Elite

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 7):

Not to be a stickler... but it's Japanese  

MD-90

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Siri sounded embarrassed when it said the F-word.

Ken777

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm

No doubt it will get better - Apple made it clear in their presentation that Siri was in Beta. When you look at the massive range of accents in just the US it's pretty easy to see the problems faced by those actually working on the program.

BTW, new blogs indicate Apple's investment in Siri:

Quote:

Siri development team one of the largest groups at Apple
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...f_the_largest_groups_at_apple.html

Acheron

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Just a matter of time...lol
http://i54.tinypic.com/102pkip.jpg

Rara

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting elite (Reply 9):

Not to be a stickler... but it's Japanese

Cheers, I wasn't aware.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

swissy

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
Even if it's an accent, it's just no halfway proper english. And if he can't speak the language, he can't use Siri with that language.

How many people do speak proper english?   1,2,5,10%...

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
so I'd expect that chinese will have a pretty high priority in the second wave.

They should be top priority  

But I must admit, I do like SIRI very much   have watched many youtube stuff about SIRI and some of the stuff is just priceless. Guess for some she will be the boy/girlfriend they never had/have    

Seriously considering getting a I4s for fun  

cheerios,

petertenthije

Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Quoting swissy (Reply 6):
I believe the letter R is a tricky one for the Asian people IIRC

Not just Asians either. The local accent where I grew up also has a distaste for the letter R. That did cause a funny situation when I had to call the US office. I would give them a ring and normally start with "Hi, are you all right" and go on with the call from there. But I pronounced it kind a like "Hi, are you all white...". Would not normally be an issue I suppose, except that my collegue was far from white and also quick to feel discriminated against. My (Dutch) collegues did not think it was necessary to tell me this for 3 years! 
Attamottamotta!

Klaus

Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Quoting swissy (Reply 14):
How many people do speak proper english?

Well, recognizable english would already be a start...!

ALTF4

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:03 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
it's just no halfway proper english.

I rest my case.

The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Siri also doesn't seem to like Scottish accents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My40XgYEvLM

This is absolutely hilarious         
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Aeroflot777

Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:07 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 18):

Wow! I had a hard time understanding what he was saying too. Until I read the caption!

Aeroflot777

Airstud

Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:44 am

Quoting swissy (Reply 6):
I believe the letter R is a tricky one for the Asian people IIRC...

I believe that a number of native speakers of Asian languages have difficulty with words that end on a hard sound, like "work" or "talk." Haven't you heard a restaurant worker offer "por' fried rice" once or twice? 

It is for this reason that there isn't, underline repeat isn't, a major Japanese audio equipment manufacturer called "Sonic."

Pancakes are delicious.