September11
Topic Author

Do You Have A College Degree?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Do you have college degree?

I do... a bachelor degree in business administration..

[Edited 2011-10-18 12:03:01]
Airliners.net of the Future

FingerLakerAv8r

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm

yup.... American history with a minor in English.

sw733

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Bachelor's and Master's in Aerospace Engineering, and an MBA in International Business. I'd love to get my PhD, but...I've got other things I would rather do with my time and money at this point. And I'm lazy  

Braniff747SP

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Nope. I'm a freshman in high school... Certainly intend to, though.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

canoecarrier

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Bachelors in Forestry, helped me out a lot when I used to work for an airline  

Back quasi-working in my degree field, and no desire to get a Masters.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

MadameConcorde

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

I have two of those and a graduate degree also.

Steve Jobs did not have a college degree and became wildly successful.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

desertjets

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Yes. Got a few and have the student loan debt to prove it.

I think I threw out my Master's degree when I last moved. What I thought was an empty mailing tube.....
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Springbok747

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Quoting desertjets (Reply 6):
Yes. Got a few and have the student loan debt to prove it.

Same here..

Bachelor's and Master's in Molecular Biology, MBA and currently working on my medical degree (called MBBS here, I think its MD in the US/North America). Hoping to finally get a job when I'm done in about 1 and a half years because all my other degrees have proven to be useless when it comes to getting a decent job.
אני תומך בישראל

comorin

Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:39 pm

I have 2 college degree.

AzoresLover

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Bachelors in Music Education
Masters in Secondary Education
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Bachelors in Criminal Justice, and just yesterday, started my Masters in Aeronautics!  Now that's more like it
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

flymia

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Bachelors in International Affairs
Bachelors in Geography
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

747400sp

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

I has an AA degree, and I am working on my bachelors.

canoecarrier

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
Bachelor's and Master's in Aerospace Engineering, and an MBA in International Business.

You're over-educated to be living in the KC area!

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 10):
Bachelors in Criminal Justice, and just yesterday, started my Masters in Aeronautics! Now that's more like it

Is this the typical career path for people wanting to be an air marshal? Not that I think that's what you want to be, but I was a forester working for an airline, what do you want to do, just curious?

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 13):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 10):
Bachelors in Criminal Justice, and just yesterday, started my Masters in Aeronautics! Now that's more like it

Is this the typical career path for people wanting to be an air marshal? Not that I think that's what you want to be, but I was a forester working for an airline, what do you want to do, just curious?

lol, I get this question a lot. My life plan has varied over the years, but the 2 constants have been commissioning in the military (degree required) and going in the airlines (degree required.) For both, no specific degree was required. I went to NGCSU and the degree that interested me the most was Criminal Justice. Now that I'm going in full time soon, I decided to pursue my degree online. Since I had many more choices online, I decided to go aviation for my Masters just to try that out--getting a BS and MS in CJ is redundant according to my CJ teachers. I'm only going for my Masters in the event I want to stay in the military longer (you need a Masters to get promoted to O-4 or O-5, I forget which.)

Can't answer your direct question with complete accuracy, but for law enforcement, many work up the totem pole. I'll say "many" a lot, but keep in mind there are exceptions everywhere. You start out at a local agency, work up experience to get a state position, then work longer to go federal. Degrees are often essential to these offerings, but I don't know if FAMs need Bachelors. Getting the 2 degrees I am getting would probably land a FAM position a lot more quickly than someone without these 2 degrees, but the time and effort it takes to get the 2 degrees is probably overkill. Just my limited opinion though  

Anyone here have a PhD? I am thinking about pursuing that just for the sake of educating myself. I think education is very important, even though a PhD wouldn't do me any good (as I have no desire to pursue anything beyond airline pilot.) I was thinking about Embry-Riddle's PhD in aviation, supposedly the first and only PhD in aviation. I'd be a true a.net nerd  

canoecarrier

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 14):
lol, I get this question a lot.

I bet, but have you ever considered a job with the FBI, NTSB, State Department or Treasury (aka Secret Service)? If you don't know already, every government agency has people who can carry a weapon. From the Department of Education to the NTSB (or DOT).

I don't know if FAMs need Bachelors.

I think most LEOs end up getting a degree because compensation increases with eduction in Law Enforcement. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

ShyFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

BS in Organizational Leadership.

Sooo not pleased with the return on that investment.
I lift things up and put them down.

canoecarrier

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 16):
Sooo not pleased with the return on that investment.

Sounds like one of those degrees they offer in Canada "Outdoor Leadership". I know lots of unemployed Canadians with that degree.

desertjets

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Anyone here have a PhD? I am thinking about pursuing that just for the sake of educating myself. I think education is very important, even though a PhD wouldn't do me any good (as I have no desire to pursue anything beyond airline pilot.) I was thinking about Embry-Riddle's PhD in aviation, supposedly the first and only PhD in aviation. I'd be a true a.net nerd

I am a PhD program dropout, if that counts for anything. Wrong time to do the degree, not in the right mindset, not in the right place in life, not in the right program. I decided halfway through my second semester that I wanted out, buy still lingered on for another year because I was doing a job search from the other side of the country.

A PhD isn't something that you go into for funsies. There is a level of intensity and commitment that is involved that isn't like anything else you've done academically. You really have to have a specific goal in mind for that degree or else it isn't going to happen.

A PhD in aviation??? I mean this with all due respect, but WTH does that degree even cover and then what do you do with it?
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

ShyFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 17):
Sounds like one of those degrees they offer in Canada "Outdoor Leadership".

It's not. It's a Management degree.
I lift things up and put them down.

elmothehobo

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm only going for my Masters in the event I want to stay in the military longer (you need a Masters to get promoted to O-4 or O-5, I forget which.)

During the 'good years' O-3 to O-4, an M.A. was not required, but highly recommended; from O-4 to O-5 it was not "required", but in excess of 90% of O-5s had a MA+. It also depends on MOS, etc... Medical Service Corps, for example, requires an "AMEDD approved MA" to move from O-3 to O-4, Quartermasters tend to either start or get their MBAs as O-3s.

I got my BA in International Studies (International affairs), and I am in my final semester of graduate school, working on an MA in Political Science (International Relations & U.S. Domestic Policy). Worry not though, after seven years of post secondary education (with 1 science and 1 math class), the Army sees fit to send me to school for another year... to fly learn to fly Blackhawks. Who-woulda-thunk.

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 15):
I bet, but have you ever considered a job with the FBI, NTSB, State Department or Treasury (aka Secret Service)?

Law enforcement is something I'd do if the military and aviation don't work out. I'm thinking about doing reserve policing later in life, just to get a taste of it.

Quoting desertjets (Reply 18):
A PhD isn't something that you go into for funsies. There is a level of intensity and commitment that is involved that isn't like anything else you've done academically. You really have to have a specific goal in mind for that degree or else it isn't going to happen.

It's more than just for fun, I feel like I need to do something great in life. My dad came from nothing and ended up where he is at, I feel I need to do something. I want to pursue a very high level of education and learn a foreign language (which is kind of a feat in America even if it's almost essential for living in other countries.)

A PhD in aviation??? I mean this with all due respect, but WTH does that degree even cover and then what do you do with it?

I would do that just because I love aviation and do not feel like starting over from square one with something like physics. Here is the page: http://aviationphd.erau.edu/ I do not downplay the commitment and realize it will probably be my undoing. I hate writing papers of any length, so a dissertation would be horrendous for me.

canoecarrier

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 21):
Law enforcement is something I'd do if the military and aviation don't work out. I'm thinking about doing reserve policing later in life, just to get a taste of it.

I have lots of family members that have gone through Army aviation via West Point, ROTC, and by working through the enlisted ranks. If you ever need someone to talk to just let me know. Best of luck.

steeler83

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:41 pm

BA in environmental geography, Millersville University of PA, 2006
BA in geography and planning, West Chester University of PA, 2007
MA in geography and planning, West Chester University of PA, 2010

Working as a caregiver, but I really want to (sooner as opposed to later) want to work as an urban planner. With all the education I have, you'd think I should be getting interviews left and right. Unfortunately, I get more REJECTIONS left and right; no offer to come in for an interview... It's as if my advanced education doesn't matter...

Even the job openings in my field are senior-level this, executive-level that, director of such-n-such department. My credit is probably headed for the basement because I'm having a hard time paying off my loans while making only $20k a year. I tried to sign up for some kind of federal assistance with the job search, but they only want to give me a grant for more schooling. What the hell else could I go to school for?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

flymia

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 pm

You start out at a local agency, work up experience to get a state position, then work longer to go federal.

You dont really need to go Local-State-Fed most are Local or State to Fed or Military to Fed. But there are a lot of Special Agents that had no prior Law Enforcement jobs. Places like the FBI, DEA, ATF need agents with special skills and graduate degrees etc.. There are many agents with law degrees out there or science or language based degrees. However the majority come from a local/state agency or the military. But not a overwhelming majority.

but I don't know if FAMs need Bachelors.

I dont think they do, I am pretty sure they are not 1811 "Special Agents" but any special agent job, USSS, DEA, FBI, ATF, Inspector General at any government agency needs a 4 year degree.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 15):
I think most LEOs end up getting a degree because compensation increases with eduction in Law Enforcement. Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.

Yea at the local level this is true. At the federal level most already have it.

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 23):
Working as a caregiver, but I really want to (sooner as opposed to later) want to work as an urban planner.

Best of luck! The problem is there are a lot of people out there who have already worked the jobs since they do not have any jobs either. Being a geography degree holder myself it is an expanding field though. There are jobs out there.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 21):

The DEA has pretty large fleet of aircraft from Helicopters to Cessnas, King Airs and Lears. All of their pilots are actual Agents so they are not just pilots. You have to work 2 years as an agent and if you have say a commercial certificate and some decent hours can apply to be a DEA pilot. One of the cooler jobs out there I think. Always keeping that option in my back pocket but Fed LEO jobs are very very competitive.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

steeler83

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 24):
The problem is there are a lot of people out there who have already worked the jobs since they do not have any jobs either.

Yeah... They probably were laid off and are taking up available entry-level jobs just so they can remain in their (our) field. How in the hell am I supposed to compete with that?

Oh, I have to post this. This is something my wife and I encountered when we attended the AAG in Seattle last spring:

We were talking with other fellow AAG attendees at breakfast one of the days. I mentioned how I'm having a hard time finding a job in my field, and how I went for my MA. The jerk said, "oh, I guess going to school was a waste of time." Um, no... What the hell else was I supposed to do, sit back and wait for something to fall into my lap? I went for my MA to be more competitive for what ever is available out there. What a jerk...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

tz757300

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 am

BA Geography/Geographic Information Systems
Pursuing my MA in Urban Affairs and Public Policy, which halfway into my 1st semester, is quite a doozy compared to getting my BA.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

LH526
Crew

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:25 am

Diplom Ingenieur, Masters degree in Architecture. Striving for PhD

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

canoecarrier

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:38 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 19):
It's not. It's a Management degree.

Didn't mean for you to take that wrong, my apologies! We both know getting a degree of any kind is at the least a commitment.

DeltaMD90

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:50 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 23):
What the hell else could I go to school for?

This might not be the case in your field, but in some fields it helps to diversify your MS degree. My girlfriend is in education and they suggest she get a MS in something other than education, like math or literature for example. Maybe it would help in your case. Sometimes it helps to be very good in X and Y, instead of just being very very good in just X. But I'm sure you know a lot more about your field than I would  

AF340

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:03 am

I'll have a Bachelor of Science in International Relations in a year and a half -- if that counts.

Hopefully a law degree after that. See how the LSATs go...

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 am

BS in Aeronautical Science, which is a glorified and really expensive way of saying "I'm just another broke ass pilot"   

sw733

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:27 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 13):
You're over-educated to be living in the KC area!

Haha well maybe for PART of the metro area! However, I live in Johnson County KS which actually has one of the highest education levels (by county) in the entire US. Seriously, that's no joke.

stratosphere

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:48 am

BS in computer information systems.. Working on my masters.

NSMike

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:28 am

Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Geology
Bachelor of Computer Science
Pearl Snares, Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Remo Heads, Los Cabos Sticks

N243NW

Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:45 am

Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering along with a minor in Aviation Science (basically a fancy Part 141 way of getting my Commercial ASMEL). Was considering an MBA until an attractive engineering job offer presented itself.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

Rara

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:10 am

Masters in sociology. Served me well so far.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

wilco737

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:10 am

No. Don't have one, don't need one for my job 

wilco737

Zentraedi

Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am

BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering

planeguy727

Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 am

BA, Sociology
MS, Health Education
EdD, Higher Education Administration (ABD - should finish within 6 months)

Also major doctoral coursework in Public Health (was a PhD student for 2.5 years before I moved)

Once I finish the doctorate and I thinking of doing the MPA program, perhaps a MS in Strategic Communication, and I was accepted to another doctoral program so I might do that too. I think I'll always be in school.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

signol

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Yes.
BSc in Modern Languages (French)
MSc in Computer Science.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

comorin

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Without an indefinite article, the topic heading of this thread is unintentionally absurd. Grr...

tcasalert

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Nope. Didn't see the point in racking up 3 years worth of debt, when in that time I could earn over £52,000 instead and end up debt free.

My work experience for those three years put me in a better place. Not to say I won't think about doing one part time in the future, but for now at least I am doing exactly the same job as my colleagues who went to university, so it hasn't really got them any further than me.
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

baroque

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:44 pm

Good grief, without being a aviation engineer I can think up half a dozen topics, that would just need a bit of tarting up by the experts. I can even think of the right a.net members to help me tart them up!!

What I do like about the US system is its incomprehension that other systems work differently. A prominent US geological society wished to know the subject of my undergraduate degree when I joined. I explained to them that I too Natural Sciences Tripos Parts I and II. They insisted on a transcript which cost about 20 or 30 pounds and stated that I had complete Natural Sciences Tripos Parts I and II. They gave up soon after that and admitted me! Who knows what they do with continental degrees.

And what do you do with your Doctorate. Well you could be like Dr A. A. Griffith.
rom this work Griffith formulated his own theory of brittle fracture, using elastic strain energy concepts. His theory described the behavior of crack propagation of an elliptical nature by considering the energy involved. The equation, Griffith's criterion, basically states that when a crack is able to propagate enough to fracture a material, that the gain in the surface energy is equal to the loss of strain energy, and is considered to be the primary equation to describe brittle fracture. Because the strain energy released is directly proportional to the square of the crack length, it is only when the crack is relatively short that its energy requirement for propagation exceeds the strain energy available to it. Beyond the critical Griffith crack length, the crack becomes dangerous.

The work, published in 1920 ("The phenomenon of rupture and flow in solids"[1]), resulted in sweeping changes in many industries. Suddenly the "hardening" of materials due to processes such as cold rolling were no longer mysterious. Aircraft designers immediately understood why their designs had failed even though they were built much stronger than was thought necessary at the time, and soon turned to polishing their metals in order to remove cracks. The result was a series of particularly beautiful designs in the 1930s, such as the Boeing 247. This work was later generalized by G. R. Irwin, in the 1950s, applying it to almost all materials, not just rigid ones.
In 1926 he published a seminal paper, An Aerodynamic Theory of Turbine Design. He demonstrated that the woeful performance of existing turbines was due to a flaw in their design which meant the blades were "flying stalled", and proposed a modern airfoil shape for the blades that would dramatically improve their performance. The paper went on to describe an engine using an axial compressor and two-stage turbine, the first stage driving the compressor, the second a power-take-off shaft that would be used to power a propeller. This early design was a forerunner of the turboprop engine. As a result of the paper, the Aeronautical Research Committee supported a small-scale experiment with a single-stage axial compressor and single-stage axial turbine. Work was completed in 1928 with a working testbed design, and from this a series of designs was built to test various concepts.

And more leading to the Avon. But in between a strange quirk where he decided that reaction jets would not work and the energy would need to be harnessed as a turboprop. But Whittle's engines disabused him of this belief. He then went on to bypass engines from which the modern high bypass engines are descended.

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 pm

A mostly useless degree, IMO. Unless you're some sort of promising future aviation prodigy, that degree will be a waste of effort and above all money, IMO.

He's much better off just getting a masters in an aviation field.

Quoting Baroque (Reply 43):

Good grief, without being a aviation engineer I can think up half a dozen topics, that would just need a bit of tarting up by the experts. I can even think of the right a.net members to help me tart them up!!

The question is whether that degree is of any use in the real world. I would say unless you have an aeronautical engineering degree to begin with, it's pointless.

baroque

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 44):

Quoting Baroque (Reply 43):

The question is whether that degree is of any use in the real world. I would say unless you have an aeronautical engineering degree to begin with, it's pointless.

Of course you would need an AE degree first, but with a PhD in aeronautical engineering I assume you could walk into B, LM or A with a fair choice of what to do. Not that they would not get their share of blood.

A quick look at Google would suggest there is considerable demand.

comorin

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 45):
Of course you would need an AE degree first, but with a PhD in aeronautical engineering I assume you could walk into B, LM or A with a fair choice of what to do. Not that they would not get their share of blood.

You could also get a job on Wall Street. CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) is much in demand in Financial Engineering.

Fly2HMO

Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:51 pm

but with a PhD in aeronautical engineering I assume you could walk into B, LM or A with a fair choice of what to do.

You're overlooking the fact that the degree he's talking about is a generic aviation PhD. Basically saying I'm a big aviation nerd. That's why I believe it is useless.

I'm an Embry-Riddle alumnus, I would know.

Here's the description:

http://aviationphd.erau.edu/

It pains me to say this as an alumnus but I really get the feeling they created the PhD just so they could say they have one.  

flymia

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 47):
You're overlooking the fact that the degree he's talking about is a generic aviation PhD. Basically saying I'm a big aviation nerd. That's why I believe it is useless.

Here's the description:

http://aviationphd.erau.edu/

It pains me to say this as an alumnus but I really get the feeling they created the PhD just so they could say they have one.

Agreed, I have no idea what this PhD would be used for.

desertjets

Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 47):
but with a PhD in aeronautical engineering I assume you could walk into B, LM or A with a fair choice of what to do.

If you would have looked at the link he posted, I did, you'll find that the PhD is a very vague, interdisciplinary degree. Probably not too dissimilar to a PhD in Business in many respects, but at least with Business there is an established body of research. I am not sure where it is in aviation? Basically my point is that PhD in Aviation != PhD in Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering by any stretch of the imagination. I think what that degree qualifies you for is to teach aviation courses for ERAU..... seriously no sarcasm or snark here.

That said one day I may decide to pursue my doctorate, but on the condition that there is a clear employment outcome..... such as being groomed for a promotion where having that degree will be useful in my job. Because without that I will pretty much burn myself out again.