YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Belgians Queue For Rare Trappist Brew

Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:31 am

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/fea17...cc-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1cmmBKA6Y

How distict is that beer? To queue up for beer for hours can only mean that it either must be very very special or we are truly descendands of Belgium immigrants here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuq1PMXvSLw

AF340

RE: Belgians Queue For Rare Trappist Brew

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:47 am

It's a fantasmic beer. I had it in September in Toronto and was well worth the $50 price tag. Admittedly it was very off-limits for the bar to have it, but I am sure glad they did.

Belgian trappist ales are the best beers in the world in my humble opinion and Westy 12 is at the top of that list.

YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:32 am

My goodness me, $50 for a beer, I assume that's C$. And I always believed that S$15 a bottle (supermarket price) was already outrageous for some quality beers here. A salary rise is long overdue. How did they get this when even the Belgians themselves can't get it?

flyingturtle

Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:43 am

I've had a Chimay Père Trappiste beer once, the blue bottle. It's not the beer you meant, but even that one was jolly good.

In my region there is the BFM, la Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes. This brewery is quite "in" and its beer is sold at NY's scene bars for quite a price.

My other favourite beers are Samuel Adams, Boddington's Pub Ale, Murphy's Irish Stout and then some wheat beers. I really came to abhor those standard beers. I assume people just go for the alcohol content...
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.