1337Delta764
Topic Author

Best Versions Of Windows Of All-time?

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 pm

I was wondering, if you would consider certain versions of Windows to be the best of all-time, what would they be?

I would say the three best versions (in no particular order) were 98, XP, and 7. These versions were refinements of previous versions of Windows (95, 2000, and Vista, respectively), fixing bugs and improving reliablity. Vista wasn't really that bad contrary to general perception, however, Windows 7 is much better. 2000 wasn't bad either, although there were a few issues with drivers as well as security, which XP corrected. Microsoft tried to further enhance Windows 98 with Windows Me, however, it was pushing the limits of DOS too far from what DOS can handle, which led to Windows Me's instablity.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

DeltaMD90

RE: Best Versions Of Windows Of All-time?

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 am

Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

flyingturtle

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 am

XP, by far.

It will never be matched again by Microsoft. I won't be alone in this judgement.

I admit XP was kind of boring from the look-and-feel. But it was modest, and it never promised too much. Just the ideal tool for your office, and it did its job reliably.

I only toyed a little with 3.1, so I can't hand down a judgement. But I vaguely remember that inserting a picture into a Word document was    .

95 was a gread leap forward in regard to 3.1, but coming from a family that cherished Macs, I found that too much software was crashing. You want to save a document of a certain software, crash. Reopen the document, try to alter it, save again. Crash. I've had to recreate the document from scratch.

I've also got very little experience with 7, Vista or 98 so I leave it to somebody else to comment on those.  

But the best Microsoft operating system legally available today is... DOSBox  bouncy 

[Edited 2011-11-15 16:33:38]
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

StarAC17

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):

I was wondering, if you would consider certain versions of Windows to be the best of all-time, what would they be?

I would say the best ones would be 95, XP and 7 because they were all the revolutionary versions of the OS as computers became more common.

95 was the first version that was really designed for the Internet age an plug and play capabilities. 98 and ME made efforts to improve on the features of Windows 95 often with expanding hardware capabilities that 95 couldn't support.

XP merged the NT interface of Windows NT and opened up the NTFS system to everyone outside of businesses where Windows 2000 was primarily used.

XP is still used on I think most computers today when even Windows 7 has been out for 2 years.

Vista wasn't really that bad contrary to general perception, however, Windows 7 is much better.

Vista is very good and after sp2 came out and reduced a lot of its junk and excessive security features it runs really well. I had always has Vista run faster than XP for me on the same PC.

I agree that 7 is better though because it is a lot leaner, I still like Vista's taskbar more though
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

rfields5421

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 am

As an IT tech working with Windows from 3.1 through 7 - Win 7 wins hands down.

As a user - I loved XP - but hated all the security holes.

It was and still is like never shredding any confidentical information - and placing it out on the sidewalk for anyone to pick-up.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 3):
95 was the first version that was really designed for the Internet age an plug and play capabilities. 98 and ME made efforts to improve on the features of Windows 95 often with expanding hardware capabilities that 95 couldn't support.

95 truly was revolutionary, although it was a little buggy, which is why I prefer 98. However, Microsoft really screwed up with Windows Me by pushing the antiquated DOS platform too far.

ShyFlyer

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 am

My vote goes for XP. I don't think it crashed on me once. A few applications did, though, but it was due to issues with that software, not the OS. Windows ME was an absolute disaster. I had a laptop that ran it and it was basically just a brick until I put XP on it. That laptop (from 2000) runs better than it ever has in it's life.

Windows 95 was leaps and bounds above Windows 3.1. So much easier to get things done. Though it's memory is tarnished with all those "This program has performed an illegal operation...." messages. Who's the numbnut who thought that up?

I'm running Windows 7 on my current laptop that originally came with XP. I really didn't feel the need to upgrade but it did solve some system issues. It does have quirks, though, that I could live without. For example, it took some tweaking to get it to sort my photos by date rather than the random order it (the OS) decided they should be in. Sort by date in XP was blindingly simple.
I lift things up and put them down.

einsteinboricua

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 am

XP, 7, 98.

The stability and reliance of Windows XP was unmatched by any other version. Windows 7 is not behind XP, except that it's really a remake of what Vista should have been. But so far I haven't had a complaint with Windows 7. And of course, 98 which until its demise worked pretty good.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

airindia787

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 am

Windows 7 is much better and more reliable than XP in my opinion. It is also my opinion that people need to move on from XP and move on to 7, after all XP is 10 years old at this point. Of course this means that XP is very reliable and stable, but 7 is much more reliable and much faster (this also has to do with the computer I am using). 7 has not crashed on me once, and I did get a few BSODs with XP.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):
XP, 7, 98.

The stability and reliance of Windows XP was unmatched by any other version. Windows 7 is not behind XP, except that it's really a remake of what Vista should have been. But so far I haven't had a complaint with Windows 7. And of course, 98 which until its demise worked pretty good.

Well, XP was a refined version of Windows 2000 (not Windows Me, which was a completely different OS based on DOS instead of NT), however, 2000 was not available in a consumer version. There actually was supposed to be a consumer version of Windows 2000 (codenamed Neptune), however, that project got shelved, so Windows Me was released as a stopgap until XP was released.

CXfirst

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:48 am

XP was great, but I love Windows 7 as it is, but something tells me this is what Vista should have been, and I'm glad Vista didn't last too long before 7 came.

I can't wait for Windows 8, I like the start screen and a couple other features, so I'm hopeful!

-CXfirst

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 am

Windows 7 wins. Of course the newest version will always have the biggest chance of being the best. You must assume that the manufacturer learns from previous mistakes, so that a new version must be better. Vista was an exception though.

steffenbn

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:54 am

Said short - W7!!!

-Steffen Nielsen
A330, A319, 737,738,752,763,763ER,764ER,777-200LR

ALTF4

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 pm

Windows 7, by far.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 4):
It was and still is like never shredding any confidentical information - and placing it out on the sidewalk for anyone to pick-up.

Let's not get too carried away with the analogies, now. Run metasploit against any fully-patched version of XP and let me know what you come up with. Firewall is enabled by default now, SP3 turned off autorun... sure, there are improvements in AD and group policy with Windows 7 to give finer control, and there are a few memory handling tweaks and other things to improve security in programs and processes, but I wouldn't say XP is like leaving information on the sidewalk for anybody to pick up.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 10):
I can't wait for Windows 8, I like the start screen and a couple other features, so I'm hopeful!

- I'm not looking forward to using a 24 inch phone.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

YokoTsuno

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 2):
I only toyed a little with 3.1, so I can't hand down a judgement

Windows 1.0 to 3.11 were not OS but application programs, commonly known as Operation Environments. Like any other application these could not run without a real OS, which was DOS at the time. At the time there were more of such AE although most if them had much less functionality than Win 3.11. The first real OS from Microsoft was Windows 95.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 6):
Windows 95 was leaps and bounds above Windows 3.1. So much easier to get things done. Though it's memory is tarnished with all those "This program has performed an illegal operation...." messages. Who's the numbnut who thought that up?

Believe me there are not many software developers who regret that Win95-based platforms are part of history. When Windows introduced NT (2000, XP and 7 use this architecture) many application developers got a life again. This OS introduced a concept called "protected memory" which in layman terms means that your application can't access memory that is used by the OS and can't access HW directly. For programmers to create BSOD and "This program has performed an illegal....." was suddenly a lot harder.  

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 14):
The first real OS from Microsoft was Windows 95.

Well, technically Windows 95, 98, and Me still used DOS as their underlying architecture (MS-DOS 7.0 for Windows 95, MS-DOS 7.1 for Windows 95B/98/98SE, and MS-DOS 8.0 for Windows Me). However, those versions of DOS were not standalone releases, they were only available bundled with their respective Windows versions.

rfields5421

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 13):
I'm not looking forward to using a 24 inch phone

Certainly agree!!!

My grandson keeps asking why I won't put movies on my phone. I tell him I bought a 50" LED for movies, not a tiny danged phone.

babybus

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 4):
As a user - I loved XP - but hated all the security holes.

I know what you mean. I loved XP but my laptop got invaded by every bug out there.

Vista is awful.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Quoting ALTF4 (Reply 13):
- I'm not looking forward to using a 24 inch phone.

AFAIK, the tablet layout is just on top of a fully featured OS as you know it. That means you can change between the tablet layout and the classic desktop layout. So you will be able to have a fully featured PC in a tablet. IMO this will kill the iPad, unless Apple make a fully featured OS that is shared for the iPad and their computers as well.

[Edited 2011-11-16 08:20:38]

ALTF4

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 18):
AFAIK, the tablet layout is just on top of a fully featured OS as you know it.

I'm actually writing this post from Windows 8. In its current state, the start menu isn't negotiable in Windows 8 - you are forced to use the tiles or whatever they are. Of course, there is a registry hack, but that is probably only because Windows 8 is really Windows 7 with new features at the moment, and those new features are enabled/disabled via the registry. I can't imagine corporate users will be enthralled by the full screen start menu, so hopefully there will be a way to turn that feature off - who knows.

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 18):
this will kill the iPad

I've heard that so many times, I used to think things could kill the iPhone/iPad and I really hoped they did. Windows on a tablet won't, though - people are ok with buying new toys (in fact, they want to) and something simple and sexy like an iPad is irresistible to so many people.
The above post is my opinion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

ajd1992

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:58 pm

XP was my personal favourite, and it's what I first properly learned how to use when I was a kid. I use Windows 7 now and while I like it, I can't say it's impacted my life like XP did.

My college (1500+ PCs over 3 campuses) still use XP, albeit in a heavily restricted form (no games, set installations of packages etc) and I'll miss it when it goes. They're considering 7, but the PCs will all need replacing - they are slow enough on XP, I highly doubt they'd run 7.

TheSonntag

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 5):

However, Microsoft really screwed up with Windows Me by pushing the antiquated DOS platform too far

Worst POS ever.

I really loved 3.1, and it still boots faster on my 486/100 than the newest Win7. I even used internet with Winsock on 3.1. Those were the days...

XP did well, too. I use Vista now. Honorable mention as 2nd worst ever.

steffenbn

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 20):
they are slow enough on XP, I highly doubt they'd run 7.

Actually, in most cases, Windows 7 is running faster than XP!
A330, A319, 737,738,752,763,763ER,764ER,777-200LR

StuckInCA

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Windows 7 works well for me. I've had very very few issues using it at work (Pro Engineer, Inventor, ANSYS, etc) and no problems at home. It has all the features that I think I would want and is visually pleasing.

TLG

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 pm

Well just to stir thing up a bit, I'd have to say the best version would be a toss up between Windows ME & Windows Vista!   

-Tom

RayChuang

Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 am

If you have a reasonably modern machine that supports X86-64 instructions and the motherboard chipset does the same, Windows 7 wins hands down.

Unlike Windows Vista, Windows 7 has a smaller resource "footprint" and offers a lot of really nice features.

Type-Rated

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:31 am

XP & 7.

But the problem is that a ton of windows users lack the technical expertise to migrate their XP systems to 7. Microsoft did not include the XP to 7 process in the upgrade path. So you have to reinstall your apps to 7 after removing XP and installing 7. And how many people out there have ALL the disks for the apps they run? There are people out there who are just barely able to send an e-mail let alone upgrade their OS. And what about those who can download a program from a website and then not remember where it went? There are tons of those out there too!
Sure, they could just go out and buy a new computer but if the one they have is performing well enough for them they'll just leave well enough alone.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

zippyjet

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:49 am

Knock on wood, I have to say Windows 7. I've never had that infamous blue screen of death! Vista wasn't bad. I had Win 98 and that was OK but I encountered the most blue screens of death.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

StarAC17

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 21):
XP did well, too. I use Vista now. Honorable mention as 2nd worst ever.

Vista wasn't a bad OS, it was just resource heavy which was fixed with the service packs and Windows 7. In terms of stability it was not worse than XP.

I may have been one of the lucky ones but I had very little difficulty running Windows Vista on any system I have owned. Outside of very few driver issues I got better performance out of Vista on the same system that previously had XP.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 26):
But the problem is that a ton of windows users lack the technical expertise to migrate their XP systems to 7. Microsoft did not include the XP to 7 process in the upgrade path. So you have to reinstall your apps to 7 after removing XP and installing 7.

Upgrading is never a good idea and usually leads to far more problems for an average user than learning on how to format and redo an Windows installation.

Francoflier

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:31 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 2):
I admit XP IS kind of boring from the look-and-feel. But it IS modest, and it never promiseS too much. Just the ideal tool for your office, and it DOES its job reliably.

Fixed that for you... 

Running XP and still going strong here.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ajd1992

Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am

Quoting steffenbn (Reply 22):
Actually, in most cases, Windows 7 is running faster than XP!

The only problem is that obviously being a college with several campuses several kms apart, it's all server based, and all the programs are installed to the server, imagine 5 classes all doing web design from 2 campuses accessing the server... it takes forever, as you can imagine. The computers aren't always the bottleneck, but they will still need to do some serious upgrading regardless, which they won't do  . I've had half of my 1 1/2hr classes wasted by waiting for MS Word to open on a Monday morning, it's that bad.

But the problem is that a ton of windows users lack the technical expertise to migrate their XP systems to 7. Microsoft did not include the XP to 7 process in the upgrade path. So you have to reinstall your apps to 7 after removing XP and installing 7. And how many people out there have ALL the disks for the apps they run? There are people out there who are just barely able to send an e-mail let alone upgrade their OS. And what about those who can download a program from a website and then not remember where it went? There are tons of those out there too!
Sure, they could just go out and buy a new computer but if the one they have is performing well enough for them they'll just leave well enough alone.

Do what I do - have them all stored on a external hard disc and when you reformat, just reinstall them from there. I use mostly free software, but any other stuff I need I torrent (No CD drive on my laptop, so not really got a lot of choice). I've got an ISO of Windows 7 from my official disc, so i'm all set.

flyingturtle

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 29):
Fixed that for you...

Ouais, merci beaucoup mon ami 
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

rfields5421

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:42 pm

lack the technical expertise to migrate their XP systems to 7. Microsoft did not include the XP to 7 process in the upgrade path.

I've worked through two bootstrap OS upgrades in a company with tens of thousands of PCs.

Nope, not going to upgrade the OS on my personal PC(s). Never.

If I want a new OS, I buy a computer with that OS.

I never recommend someone upgrade an OS. Period.

Type-Rated

Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:36 pm

I run a website and through Google Analytics I can see what OS the viewers are using to access my website. I will say that Win 7 became popular in a hurry. Right now it's neck and neck with Windows XP. I imagine in another month it'll be the predominant OS for most of my viewers.

On the graph chart Win Vista is just a tiny little slice of the pie chart. And there are still come Windows 2000, ME & 98 users stil around too.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Goldenshield

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 32):
lack the technical expertise to migrate their XP systems to 7. Microsoft did not include the XP to 7 process in the upgrade path.

I've worked through two bootstrap OS upgrades in a company with tens of thousands of PCs.

Nope, not going to upgrade the OS on my personal PC(s). Never.

I never recommend someone upgrade an OS. Period.

MS's recommended procedure is to backup your docs, and then fresh install win 7 over XP, not upgrade. In fact, while the upgrade CD was meant to overlay on top of XP (bad idea!) there was a workaround you could use to do a completely fresh install, which worked like a charm.

Simply put, Win XP (including all the way back to Win 95) and Vista/7/8's kernels, codebase, registry, etc., all simply not compatible without heavy modification.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

RottenRay

Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:28 am

I would say the three best versions (in no particular order) were 98, XP, and 7.

The winner is WinXP Pro, Enterprise Edition, SP1, Build 2600.

9 years running this, with no problems. I can count on 1 hand the number of times my system has locked up due to a Win problem, and still have a thumb and a finger left over.

(Actually, I've been known to break out champagne for these events as they are so rare!)

No need to upgrade or go with the hassle of "Patch Tuesday" at all.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 32):

Agree, sort of.

If I decide to upgrade my OS, I'm going to Ubuntu linux.

Quoting type-rated (Reply 33):
On the graph chart Win Vista is just a tiny little slice of the pie chart.

Not surprising at all. I know two people who run Vista. One is bald - not from running Vista - and if he weren't bald, he'd be running around with his hair on fire most of the time.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 28):
In terms of stability it was not worse than XP.

Unless you're using Adobe Premier editing software.

See above. Too many crashes to count.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 27):
I've never had that infamous blue screen of death!

Me, once. Caused by a defective memory module. Change module, no BSD.

Cheers!
Ray

hOMSaR

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:24 am

Quoting rottenray (Reply 35):

Not surprising at all. I know two people who run Vista. One is bald - not from running Vista - and if he weren't bald, he'd be running around with his hair on fire most of the time.

I use Vista (and I'm not bald). I think I may be one of ten people in the world who actually likes Vista.

Back when Windows 7 was being tested, I installed an early beta version of it and used it for a week or two. Other than that, I've never used 7.

I'm not saying I have anything against Windows 7, I've just never had a reason to upgrade.

I have a Dell laptop that's nearly four years old, and a desktop computer that I use occasionally, that I built out of parts of an old desktop, plus some new parts (including box, motherboard, and processor) I ordered from TigerDirect (it was an interesting experience, but I don't think I'll ever build my own computer again). Both use Vista (the desktop had the beta 7 for a little while), and both work fine.

I've had computers with Windows 95 (remember the Gateway 2000?), 98SE, Me, XP (both home and pro) and Vista Ultimate. Me was definitely a step backwards, and was trouble. When I upgraded that machine (which was a desktop that originally came with 98SE) to XP, everything worked beautifully. I mean, seriously, everything just worked, and worked well. No more software crashes or BSODs like I would get every few days with Me.

I rebuilt that machine with some new parts, and some old parts, but kept XP on it until Vista was out. Vista did have some compatibility problems with some of the older hardware (video and sound cards, IIRC), but I was able to replace the necessary parts for cheap thanks to CompUSA's going out of business sale. After that, the machine has run just fine.

My laptop has Vista, and this is the longest I've kept a single OS installation without reformatting/starting over just to get a clean slate (all my previous OSes had to be reinstalled every 2-3 years to clear out all the junk that would collect over time and slow the machine down). Maybe I'm just more disciplined about what I install on my computer now, since I don't do as much with my computer other than watch movies, browse the interwebs, check email, keep iTunes up to date, and (as of a week or so ago) read Kindle books. I don't do gaming much anymore (though, I will admit that some of the latest titles do seem tempting), so I really don't have much of a need to upgrade this machine (it ain't broke, so I'm not fixing it).

Oh yeah, I also remember that I tried SuSE Linux a few years ago, and determined that it was just too much for me to figure out. I can find my way around the inside of a desktop (though a laptop is a bit scary for me), but getting Linux to work required too much computer programming for my taste. I dropped that after a month or two, went back to Windows.

My hope is that this machine will last me another year or two, then (hopefully) solid-state drives will come down in price, and I'll get a new machine with Windows 8 and replace both my laptop (which I use almost all the time) and my desktop (which I use almost never).

Oh, wait...what was the topic? Oh, best Windows version ever. Umm...XP. Sure, why not?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

Ken777

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:59 am

I only went from 3.1 through XP before I went to OS X.

I actually liked 3.1 because that's what my clients were using long after 95 came out.

I did use 2.0 for a brief time. About 10 to 15 minutes before it crashed and I closed it down for good.

StarAC17

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 34):
MS's recommended procedure is to backup your docs, and then fresh install win 7 over XP, not upgrade. In fact, while the upgrade CD was meant to overlay on top of XP (bad idea!) there was a workaround you could use to do a completely fresh install, which worked like a charm.

It's never a wise idea to upgrade a version of Windows, especially with driver compatibility issues and software simply not working after the upgrade. Also your existing Windows has enough junk in it that its just not plain worth it.

Quoting hOmSaR (Reply 36):
I use Vista (and I'm not bald). I think I may be one of ten people in the world who actually likes Vista

I do as well, it runs very well especially after the service packs were released. I had a motherboard go on my PC tower back in Canada about a year ago and had to basically get a new PC although I had the same case, the same video card, Wifi card and the same DVD burner.

They guy insisted that I get Win 7 and I didn't want to spend the money on it. Not because I have anything against it because on my laptop I type this from I have 7 on it and its fine.

The only thing I had to do was download a 64 bit version of Vista for my new system which I do not feel bad about because I used my purchased license to activate it.

The biggest issues with Vista was released was drivers which I don't blame MS for. The other things people didn't like were the security features (UAC) and the fact that it used a lot of resources. Service packs resolved these issues making Vista and 7 basically run identically now.