stasisLAX
Topic Author

Toyota GT86 Sports Car Launched At Tokyo Auto Show

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 am

2013 Toyota GT 86

Called for over a year the "Subayota" sports car by the worldwide auto press, this much anticipated car has come out of a engineering collaboration between Toyota and Subaru. This itself made possible since Toyota acquired a 9 percent share in Subaru's parent company (Fuji Heavy Industries) after that share amount became available as a result of the General Motors bankruptcy (does anyone remember the ill-fated "Saabura" wagon that was a sold by Saab, which was really a Subaru WRX wagon?)

The most obvious Subaru influence is the 2.0-liter 197 horsepower "boxer" engine powering the GT 86. The engire is the work of Subura's engineers. However, to improve efficiency and performance, it has been given Toyota’s DS-4 direct and port injection technology. The power plant is mated to a 6-speed manual or automatic transmission. It has a 53:47 front-to-rear weight distribution and weighs just under 2700 pounds.

2013 Toyota GT 86

The GT 86 will be the first sports car marketed by Toyota since the death of the MR2 mid-engined 2 seater. Subura will also market a version of this four-seat coupe, called (in North America) the BRZ.

Toyota executives describe the GT 86 as a car that has been “designed by passion not by committee.” I truly wish that Toyota would do the same thing with the rest of its bland North American model line-up - it's Camry and Corolla line especially. At any rate, this lightweight vehicle is designed as a driver's car, with minimal electronic nannies (no electronic stability control, lane-departure detection, and so on) to spoil the driver's fun.

The GT 86 will be sold in the United States as the Scion FR-S (does this stand for "FutuRe Supra"?) Look for it to go on sale here early next year after being formally unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit with a rumored sticker on the Scion to start around $20,000 USD.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/26/e...ts-car-revealed-arrives-june-2012/

[Edited 2011-11-30 19:54:16]

[Edited 2011-11-30 20:01:47]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Acheron

RE: Toyota GT86 Sports Car Launched At Tokyo Auto Show

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:10 am

Looks like the bastard child of a Nissan 350/370 and a Celica with some Mazda in it for good measure.

Newark727

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:36 am

Styling is so-so, mechanicals sound good, give them proper names please, I'm getting tired of the alphanumeric gobbleldygook.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:46 am

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 2):
give them proper names please, I'm getting tired of the alphanumeric gobbleldygook.

Completely agree!!

Toyota should simply call it a "Celica" and be done with it. And perhaps call the turbocharged version that is almost certain to follow the "Supra".....

[Edited 2011-11-30 20:51:05]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MrChips

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:56 am

The GT 86 name is a throwback to the Corolla AE86, a RWD hatchback popular with tofu delivery drivers everywhere.

As for me, I'll take mine as a BRZ, in WRC blue with gold wheels.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

Molykote

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Am I a bad person if the "Scion" branding is the only obstacle to this being my next car?
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

Dreadnought

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 5):
Am I a bad person if the "Scion" branding is the only obstacle to this being my next car?

Scion has the image of being a cheap plastic Toyota. it was originally supposed to be the "cool, querky, inexpensive" brand, but I think Toyota didn't get it right. They did a great job with Lexus.

This car looks like a nice but inexpensive sports car. A nice bottom-of-the-range car for Toyota, but too mainstream for Scion, IMHO.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

EGGD

Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:28 pm

I think it looks good, which is surprising considering the rest of the current Toyota range. The first reports here in the UK suggest it is reasonable to drive as well, which again is a surprise. I wonder how much of this comes down to the development input from Subaru. I'm not sure on the pricing here though as if it is to be around £28,000 I'm pretty sure that will put it within the realm of more exotic, better performing metal.

Ken777

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 pm

It reminds me of the wife's Mazda MX-3 that we sold a short time ago.

It's a nice design overall it if is like the MX-3, but $20K should be the top end. Starting at $20K shows why Kia and Hyundai are doing so well.

ha763

Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 3):
Toyota should simply call it a "Celica" and be done with it. And perhaps call the turbocharged version that is almost certain to follow the "Supra".....

This car would be a Supra, not a Celica. The Scion tC is a Celica.

Quoting dreadnought (Reply 6):
Scion has the image of being a cheap plastic Toyota. it was originally supposed to be the "cool, querky, inexpensive" brand, but I think Toyota didn't get it right.

The only thing Toyota really missed is the cool part. Scions do have rather quirky designs and are rather inexpensive. Toyota geared the Scion brand to a younger market, but tons of older people are buying Scions for their own use. It is hard to portray the brand as cool when you see older adults buying and driving xBs and tCs.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:48 am

Not at all, I was thinking the same thing when I learned Toyota was branding this sports car as a Scion. Scion is a wanna-be brand, a brand for wanna-be hipsters and older buyers trying to latch onto a "youth" oriented brand. The xA is a cheap lousy car, the xB (now xD) is a fat ugly box, and the tC is seen largely as a "chick" car, like the VW Eos or Beetle.

BMI727

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:29 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Thread starter):
The GT 86 will be sold in the United States as the Scion FR-S (does this stand for "FutuRe Supra"?)

This is exactly what Scion should have been the entire time rather than screwing around with that econobox crap. Toyota got this one right.

Quoting MrChips (Reply 4):
As for me, I'll take mine as a BRZ, in WRC blue with gold wheels.

Those, while a trademark, are also an abomination.

Quoting ha763 (Reply 9):
This car would be a Supra, not a Celica.

I don't even think that. This is a nice new model to be sure, and I'm sure someone will give it more power, which would make it downright amazing. That said, I think that if this model is successful, Toyota should add a real new Supra to their lineup above the FR-S to compete with the Mustang, Camaro, and Nissan Z, perhaps based on a cut down Lexus IS platform and mechanicals. Toyota can make decent cars when they try, they just don't try that often.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 am

Quoting dreadnought (Reply 6):
A nice bottom-of-the-range car for Toyota, but too mainstream for Scion, IMHO.

Scion was instant hit here in America, but quickly faded into the background. The original Xbox was considered cool by younger buyers, but the current generation Xd that replaced the Xb is boring and (in my opionion) ugly. The Xa has never been very popular and the tC is generally seen as a "chick" car... when I lived in southern California, the drivers of the tC were generally overweight young women.

dahawaiian

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 am

I'm sure there will be a turbo version of this in a year or two. Give it 300hp and that thing will be rocket considering its sub-3000lb curb weight. Not a successor to the Supra Turbo, but a step in the right direction for Toyota.

MrChips

Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:55 pm

No. That's why if I buy one of these things, it'll be a Subaru. Scion to me says, "We're hip! We're cool! We're down with it! Our cars totally aren't your mom's Camry! Oh God please buy our cars!"   

Quoting dahawaiian (Reply 13):
I'm sure there will be a turbo version of this in a year or two. Give it 300hp and that thing will be rocket considering its sub-3000lb curb weight. Not a successor to the Supra Turbo, but a step in the right direction for Toyota.

There really isn't room for a turbocharger in the GT 86/BRZ engine bay, unfortunately. The only options for forced-induction (and it might not work) might be to go with a front mounted turbocharger as in the Subaru Legacy, or to ditch the turbo and go with supercharging - supposedly, the latter is the favoured option at the moment.
Time...to un-pimp...ze auto!

PHLBOS

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 12):
The original Xbox was considered cool by younger buyers, but the current generation Xd that replaced the Xb is boring and (in my opionion) ugly. The Xa has never been very popular and the tC is generally seen as a "chick" car...

Actually, the xD (which resembles a squared-off Yaris) replaced the old xA. The restyled xB kept its name. When Toyota launched its 2nd generation Matrix a few years back; the styling looked like a melted candy bar version of the 2nd generation xB.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:21 am

There is news that Toyota is indeed planning on offering a supercharged version of the GT86, while Subaru is planning on a turbocharged "STI" version of its BRZ model that should offer about 300 horsepower. Also, the standard engined version (a newly redesigned 2.0 liter "boxer" four cylinder petrol motor producing 197 horsepower) of the car has a zero to sixty time of a respectable seven seconds and a top speed of 140+ mph, according to Toyota engineers. Excellent handling is supposedly this car forte, in due to its light weight and chassis tuning.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/su...ged-toyota-gt-86-coming-40885.html

Francoflier

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:18 pm

I couldn't find anywhere whether it sports a FWD or RWD setup... Does anybody know?

Hopefully the Subaru influence didn't spread past the engine and into an overly sophisticated and redundant 4WD system.
...not a big fan of these.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

BMI727

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 17):

Its RWD which is why it is so good. If it were front wheel drive it would just be another piece of crap rice rocket. This however is a serious performance car.

aerorobnz

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 pm

I really like the premise of this. First toyota ever that I'd actually like to own. The one thing I'd change immediately is those wheels - they are dreadful, and typical of modern manufacturers these days. Something along the lines of the OZ superleggera (which would weigh 5-6kg per alloy) would be perfect to keep unsprung weight down and the looks less fussy.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

zippyjet

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 am

Toyota executives describe the GT 86 as a car that has been “designed by passion not by committee.” I truly wish that Toyota would do the same thing with the rest of its bland North American model line-up - it's Camry and Corolla line especially. At any rate, this lightweight vehicle is designed as a driver's car, with minimal electronic nannies (no electronic stability control, lane-departure detection, and so on) to spoil the driver's fun.

It's about time! Toyota took for granted the segment of the driving populace that appreciates a quality built, fun to drive sporty car that won't make your wallet skinnier than Angelina Jolie. Is this new car FWD, RWD and does it offer Subaru AWD? Where I'm at I could'nt link to any other sites. Scions are FUGLY. And I'm sick of SUV's. Toyota with their Carolla and Camry are making cars that better suit geriatric drivers from Florida. Toyota is trying to be the heir apparrant to the drabmobile Buick Le SAbres from days of yore. I wish this car a lot of luck and feel it will restore Toyota back to its loftier position prior to those sticking gas pedals!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 20):
Is this new car FWD, RWD and does it offer Subaru AWD?

This is a "proper" Rear Wheel Drive sports car - even the Subie will be RWD. No AWD, due to the added weight of the drivetrain.

zippyjet

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:07 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 21):
This is a "proper" Rear Wheel Drive sports car - even the Subie will be RWD. No AWD, due to the added weight of the drivetrain.

Thank you! What was the last production Subie that was RWD exclusively?

I do hope Toyota revives the Celica and spawns a sports coupe out of the Carolla for those of us who need to watch our pennies in the gas pump and live in town and is practical as a fun to drive can be and with FWD/AWD.

Will the GT 86 and Subaru's version be a true production car or a Halo model?

[Edited 2011-12-03 20:10:01]

BMI727

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 22):
Will the GT 86 and Subaru's version be a true production car or a Halo model?

They are definitely production models. What the TRD and STi people can do with it is anyone's guess, but I feel safe saying that I'd want one.

zippyjet

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:26 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 23):
They are definitely production models. What the TRD and STi people can do with it is anyone's guess, but I feel safe saying that I'd want one.

I'm feeling optimistic that the concept of personal luxury and personal sports coupe are rising from the ashes and hopefully we are emerging from the Dark Ages of auto styling. i.e.
Current generation Honda Accord sedans
Current generation Nissan Versa, puker Cube, Juke
All of the Scion Line...

Any Toyota Prius and other cars that espouse the Hello Kitty awkward shit look. Any SUV or Crossover save for the Subaru Forrester.

Believe it or not some of the current Hyundai cars have the freshest styling.

BMI727

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 24):
Believe it or not some of the current Hyundai cars have the freshest styling.

I don't like those at all. the Veloster isn't terrible, neither is the Genesis, but the rest of the lineup looks droopy. Like they've all melted in the sun or something. And the Equus and Genesis sedan prove that it is possible to look even more generic than Toyota.

Infiniti does some of the same sort of melted and sagging styling, but executes it much better, with a sharper, more athletic look. It's hard to put my finger on what it is exactly, but Infinitis manage to look low and lean while Hyundai just looks like it needs some botox. Porsche and Jaguar do an even better job than Infiniti does, with rounded shapes but creating a drum tight "skin" that is athletic looking, with just enough sharp creases and lines to not look like a blob. Maybe that is what Hyundai and Infiniti are short on.

zippyjet

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:56 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 25):
Porsche and Jaguar do an even better job than Infiniti does, with rounded shapes but creating a drum tight "skin" that is athletic looking, with just enough sharp creases and lines to not look like a blob. Maybe that is what Hyundai and Infiniti are short on.

Agree regarding Porsche and theres that Bentley Coupe that is athletic and sleek. The Cayanne is an abortion at least looks wise and doesn't do justice to the Porsche heritage.

Ever since Jaguar was aligned with Ford and brought out gussied up FoMoCO slabs with a Jag grille I've never paid attention to them. And I now equate Jags at least the mass production sedans as a Boca againg ladies car.

The biggest downfall in styling goes to Accura with that awful brace face grille. Acuras used to look hot but no more.

BMI727

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:51 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 26):
Agree regarding Porsche and theres that Bentley Coupe that is athletic and sleek.

It's just a shame that the Bentley Continental is far more bloated and heavy than it looks. In terms of performance and looks Aston has them firmly beaten I would say. Their other models (Mulsanne and Brooklands) looke excellent and just as Bentley's should.

I actually kind of like the monolithic styling of the Rolls Royce Phantom too.

The Cayanne is an abortion at least looks wise and doesn't do justice to the Porsche heritage.

I actually don't hate it. It looks like a Porsche while the original looked like a Volkswagen with Porsche headlights. They did a pretty good job making a large vehicle look smaller. That said, I'd like to see the front restyled to be more like the 918 and the real restyled to be more like the 991.

Ever since Jaguar was aligned with Ford and brought out gussied up FoMoCO slabs with a Jag grille I've never paid attention to them. And I now equate Jags at least the mass production sedans as a Boca againg ladies car.

The XF and new XJ are pretty good. Different than the old models, but still definitely Jaguars. They did a good job having tight styling without looking like a blob. The new CX16 is a stunner too, but too much like an Aston Martin or Alfa Romeo knockoff. Hopefully the new XK will stop looking like a cheap Aston copy in its next iteration.

The biggest downfall in styling goes to Accura with that awful brace face grille. Acuras used to look hot but no more.

Other than that, they don't look that bad for front wheel drive cars. There's a rumor that a new NSX is coming and it will look like the car from Iron Man, which I am all in favor of.

BMI727

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 am

I should add that the worst part of the Cayenne is the rear. There is absolutely no Porsche DNA there. Unless you can see the badge, it looks just like a Murano, Santa Fe, or Enclave. It should really look more like the Infiniti FX.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:41 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 28):
I should add that the worst part of the Cayenne is the rear.

No. I think the Porsche Panamera has the biggest, ugliest auto-ass in existence. It's like the AMC Pacer from behind....

trav110

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:33 am

The front of that car looks pretty sharp, a refreshing change from Toyota's generally conservative styling. It reminds me of a Ferrari 458 Italia. The brake light style looks like that of the original Ford Fusion, I think it could use some work. If I were in the market for a car like this I'd probably wait a few years until the model refresh.

Here is a size comparison to the Hyundai Genesis, Ford Mustang, and other cars. It's quite a bit smaller than I'd originally envisioned it.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/12/2011/11/8b087db907ed79b88c3ccd9044f912bd/original.png

[Edited 2011-12-04 01:39:14]

Braniff747SP

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:37 pm

I've been following this car since rumors of the Subieyota came out... I've really liked what they have done. The Toyobaru Subaru version is priced just like the WRX- around 24,000. Affordable. I saw the Subaru concept at the auto show; while the vehicle they released a week and a bit later is slightly different, it still looks good.

I'm eager to go to the dealership when they come out to take a look.

That's why you get the Subaru version- I'm with you 100% on that one.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Zkpilot

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:18 pm

I like it but I can't believe they haven't offered a turbocharged engine option (300HP/225kw).
Perhaps this will come later.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Francoflier

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
Its RWD which is why it is so good.

Thanks. Sounds promising...

The Cayanne is an abortion at least looks wise and doesn't do justice to the Porsche heritage.

Well, to be honest and for the record, Porsche has never designed a good looking car...

The 911 (which I quite like) is just the result of the long design evolution of the Beetle. Every other clean sheet design they came up with was, as you said, a horrific trainwreck...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

zippyjet

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:16 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 27):
Other than that, they don't look that bad for front wheel drive cars

The rest of the Accuras are imitating that overworked/overdone early 2000's Nissan Maxima look (rear side inverted vent window) and the old Taurus Jelly Bean styling. Time for a change.

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 31):

I can understand that. My perception of the Scion brand is that it's geared toward the hip hop and young hipster set. But, if I had the funds and this car was a Scion instead of a Toyota I'd still have no qualms buying one. It's tail lights could have longer, sleaker , the tail lights are the only not so hot style cue of this car. However the entire package is a looker so I'd not diqualify it for the after thought tail light design.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:24 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 31):
That's why you get the Subaru version- I'm with you 100% on that one.The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

And here's an official photo of the BRZ - all it needs is gold alloy wheels to look like it's Subaru WRX-STi brother.

Big version: Width: 1600 Height: 918 File size: 122kb
2013 Subura BRZ

[Edited 2011-12-07 19:25:57]

zippyjet

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 am

Quoting MrChips (Reply 4):
The GT 86 name is a throwback to the Corolla AE86, a RWD hatchback popular with tofu delivery drivers everywhere.

I never heard of that Carolla model. But, I do remember the FX 14 which looked like an egg crate with spoilers and it was FWD.

N1120A

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 am

These cars are ridiculously cool. Saw them at the L.A. Auto Show.

"Saabura"

Saabaru, you mean. AKA, Saab 9-2X

The GT 86 will be the first sports car marketed by Toyota since the death of the MR2 mid-engined 2 seater.

You talking about the MR2 Spyder, also known as the MR-S in Japan?

The GT 86 will be sold in the United States as the Scion FR-S (does this stand for "FutuRe Supra"?)

I saw the FR-S (and BRZ) at the L.A. Auto Show. Scion rep said it stood for Front Engine, Rear-Wheel Drive, Sport.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 3):

If they wanted to go really old-school, they would call it "Celica" and "Celica Supra"

Yes, you are a bad person. For denying yourself such a great car. Just buy the Subaru version

Quoting ha763 (Reply 9):
This car would be a Supra, not a Celica. The Scion tC is a Celica.

If you go all the way back, the base would be the Celica and the faster one the Supra.

Then again, Toyota just needs to bring back the MKIV Supra - which is still highly competitive.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 17):
I couldn't find anywhere whether it sports a FWD or RWD setup... Does anybody know?

RWD

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
If it were front wheel drive it would just be another piece of crap rice rocket.

Meh. Normally I prefer RWD, but my current car is one of the best handling in the world and is FWD.

Oh, and plenty of piece of crap McDonalds putters like almost every Cadillac from 1980-2005 or so have been FWD.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 36):
I never heard of that Carolla model

Corolla

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 36):
But, I do remember the FX 14 which looked like an egg crate with spoilers and it was FWD.

The AE-86 was marketed in the US as the SR-5 and GT-S. They were stealth bombers, disguised as economy cars.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:59 am

Where are the pop-up headlights?
Bring back the Concorde

BMI727

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
Then again, Toyota just needs to bring back the MKIV Supra - which is still highly competitive.

I can only hope that this car will pave the way for Toyota to bring back a re-imagined Supra to put in the lineup above the FR-S/GT86 as a real competitor to the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, 370Z, and Genesis. I'd use a combination of the 2.5/3.5 liter Lexus V6s plus a more powerful version at the top of the lineup. Perhaps a parallel hybrid version (like Porsche's hybrids) as well. And maybe use an extended version of the platform for the next generation Lexus SC.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):

In the '80s where they belong.

N1120A

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 39):
Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):

In the '80s where they belong.

One is stuck in the up position and one in the down position, like most 1980s Firebirds.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Braniff747SP

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 35):

And here's an official photo of the BRZ - all it needs is gold alloy wheels to look like it's Subaru WRX-STi brother.

Gold wheels!?   

Please, no.

When my father was car-shopping, we went to the Subaru dealers; 2010 models and before had gold wheels on some colors. 2011 models only come with grey... We ended up getting a 2011 STi.

The gold wheels are fine on rally cars; not on street cars.

The BRZ is priced basically the same as a WRX; if it's as good, it will be a great car... when our local dealer gets it, I'm going for a look.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:11 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
I saw the FR-S (and BRZ) at the L.A. Auto Show. Scion rep said it stood for Front Engine, Rear-Wheel Drive, Sport.

Subaru says that BRZ stands for "Boxer", "Rear Drive" and "Zenith" - okay, that's a little strange, but the Japanese have named vehicles strangely for years, especially in the Japanese home market.   

RayChuang

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I like the new car, but I'd like to eventually see a lightweight dual-clutch transmission with paddle shifters become available in a few years.