mke717spotter
Topic Author

Is FOX News Really That Bad Compared To Msnbc?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:06 pm

I'd classify myself as a moderate republican, but I still watch all three news networks (FOX, CNN, & MSNBC) just to see what everyone has to say. What I don't get is that some of my friends, who are left-leaning, and evens the guys who appear on MSNBC constantly bash FOX news for being biased. Ok, its clear that a lot of their shows have conservative leaning hosts/guests, but how can you ignore that fact that MSNBC's lineup if filled with liberal flamethrowers?! I'm not saying one is better than the other, its just annoys me when people on the left bash on FOX and then completely ignore the fact that MSNBC is obviously just as bad in terms of bias. Or am I missing something here and are there other reasons for the FOX-hate?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

DeltaMD90

RE: Is FOX News Really That Bad Compared To Msnbc?

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm

I think Fox is the biggest target. You have a few left-leaning (IMO) stations but one right-leaning one so with more supporters it will have more enemies. They should really do a better job fact checking and avoiding some horrendous and obvious biases because these sure don't help Fox's image
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

DfwRevolution

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 pm

I like Dennis Miller's analogy:

Fox News may drive in the right lane and CNN may drive in the left lane, but MSNBC is driving into oncoming traffic.

Braniff747SP

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 pm

I refuse to watch MSNBC or Fox, due to their political leanings. I do find Fox, though, to be much worse- While MSBC certainly has some anchors that are very, very pro-left, they don't have anyone as bad as Beck, Hannity, and the rest of them.

MSNBC also does some good specials that really don't have much of a political leaning, which are fine.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

canoecarrier

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):
You have a few left-leaning (IMO) stations but one right-leaning one so with more supporters it will have more enemies. They should really do a better job fact checking and avoiding some horrendous and obvious biases because these sure don't help Fox's image

Take for example the local Fox affiliate here in Seattle. It's actually owned by the Tribune Company, the same multimedia corporation that owns the Chicago Tribune, LA Times and the Baltimore Sun. Tribune also used to partner with Warner Brothers. A common misconception is that local affiliates are the same as the network owned and operated stations, be it NBC, CBS or Fox. They aren't because they're affiliates where ownership is controlled by someone other than the network.

By FCC regulations network "owned and operated" stations can only reach around 40% of the country. I know a number of people in print/tv media who get this question all the time.

Quoting mke717spotter (Thread starter):
I'd classify myself as a moderate republican

Getting back to the original question, I see myself with similar political views. And, to honest I can't watch one news channel and not see some form of bias. Katie Courick's hit job on Palin in 2008 was all bias just as Fox News can interject a political view in just about anything. But, at the national level you compete for viewship, so news organizations pander to their base. The people that watch Maddow aren't conservatives, so she plays to her audience.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Ken777

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:38 pm

I find CNN to be more balanced than either. There are talking heads from both parties on most nights. Even Senator Jim Demint is having his few minutes of ordering his thoughts right now.

I have started watching Rachael Maddow show from time to time. The hits she took on this side made me curious and she can be pretty funny at times. Ed just gives 'em hell, a mirror image of FOX. At least he is consistent with his comments.

CNN does have some slow times - Larry King drove me nuts. I'd watch HGTV before him. And his replacement still has some of the dullest people on, but my TV has a remote control.

FOX? I'd watch when they had a good football game on, but they grate on my nerves when they get into the political area.

tommy767

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MSNBC's "Lean Forward" campaign is just icing on the cake for them being the extreme left news outlet. I still can't believe they a promoting such a thing.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

GuitrThree

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 3):
as bad as Beck

Doesn't work there any more and hasn't for months. Oh, and he worked at CNN before that. FYI.

Hannity

He doesn't claim not to be biased, unlike those at MSNBC.

and the rest of them

Really? The rest of them? Sheppard Smith is a liberal. Greta Van Susteren (sp?) is a liberal. Geraldo, is a Liberal. There are three of them I just listed as their big names leaning left. Can you do the same with MSNBC? I think not.

And don't for one minute try to tell me that Sharpton, Ed Schultz, or Rachel Maddow are any less left than Hannity and O'Reilly are right. If you attempt that you are a fool.

[Edited 2011-12-06 15:48:45]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

sw733

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 pm

I still think it has to do with your own political beliefs. If you are far right-leaning, you won't think FOX is that far off...if you are far left-leaning, you won't think MSNBC is that far off...if you are normal and have a brain, you'll realize they are both off their rockers in very different directions!  

elbandgeek

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:07 am

Both networks have discovered they can make buckets of money by pandering to the far left or right, and therefore neither qualifies as "news".

That said, Fox makes buckets more than MSNBC

Yellowstone

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:10 am

MSNBC wishes it could be as bad as FOX News. The latter figured out that there was a load of money to be made presenting folks with a version of the news that reinforced all their preconceived notions of the world (regardless of whether those notions had any connection to reality), and now MSNBC is trying to cash in on the same phenomenon.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

seb146

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:22 am

its clear that a lot of their shows have conservative leaning hosts/guests, but how can you ignore that fact that MSNBC's lineup if filled with liberal flamethrowers?!

Here is the difference: FOX presents what it calls news as facts. But, with a far-right bias and puts the tag line "fair and balanced" all over the place. MSNBC makes no effort to say they are "fair and balaced." Everyone (even the hosts themselves) know MSNBC is farther left than FOX. Watch the "news" segments on FOX and you will see how much Obama, Pelosi, Feingold, Ried, and anyone ANYONE with a (D) behind their name hate America. But, on MSNBC, they start with the presumption that everyone with an (R) behind their names do for corporations first and disguise it as being for middle America and do not present it as news, but rather opinion. Which is what FOX does, but they just lable it as "news."
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

BN747

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:10 am

News should be presented more in the vein of a Al Jazeera presentation - just telling the story in great detail sans all the left leaning and right leaning nonsense. The nation is never gonna come together with so called 'facts' being presented in any prepackaged left or right persuasion.

This is a good reason to stop the left news vs right news before it explodes out of control...

Fox News Viewers Know Less Than People Who Don't Watch Any News: Study
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...fairleigh-dickinson_n_1106305.html

Fox News Viewers Are The Most Misinformed: Study
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...ews-viewers-are-the-_n_798146.html

Fox News viewers are much more likely than others to believe false information about American politics, a new study concludes.

The study, conducted by the University of Maryland, judged how likely consumers of various news outlets and publications were to believe misinformation about a wide range of political issues. Overall, 90% of respondents said they felt they had heard false information being given to them during the 2010 election campaign. However, while consumers of just about every news outlet believed some information that was false, the study found that Fox News viewers, regardless of political information, were "significantly more likely" to believe that

...need anyone say more..

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

flymia

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 am

I refuse to watch MSNBC or Fox, due to their political leanings. I do find Fox, though, to be much worse- While MSBC certainly has some anchors that are very, very pro-left, they don't have anyone as bad as Beck, Hannity, and the rest of them.

Both have their political agenda but no one can honestly say FOX is "far worse" it depends on your views on which is worse, but "far worse". No way. I do find MSNBC to be worse, and watching how they handle the Republican debates along with CNBC proved it very easily for me.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 5):
I find CNN to be more balanced than either. There are talking heads from both parties on most nights. Even Senator Jim Demint is having his few minutes of ordering his thoughts right now.

Same here, I find all media besides for FOX to be left leaning, but CNN does the best to attempt to stay in the middle. Since all media but FOX is left leaning FOX needs to make up for it somehow. Their ratings show they know what they are doing too. FOX beats them all out.
I did enjoy that CNN Anderson Cooper called out Ed Shultz a few nights ago. He does not seem to be a fan of MSNBC and I think he is probably the best news anchor or journalist (whatever we should call it these days) on Air from any station.

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 9):
Both networks have discovered they can make buckets of money by pandering to the far left or right, and therefore neither qualifies as "news".

That said, Fox makes buckets more than MSNBC

FOX sure does. One there are more people in the right or center right than extreme left it would take to watch MSNBC all day long.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

BN747

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:20 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 13):
Their ratings show they know what they are doing too. FOX beats them all out.
FOX sure does. One there are more people in the right or center right than extreme left it would take to watch MSNBC all day long.

Umm yeah profitability at the cost of pandering to the lowest common denominator is not necessarily the wisest and best strategy for a leading nation.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

GuitrThree

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 12):

This is a good reason to stop the left news vs right news before it explodes out of control...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1....html

Classic. Your proof of Fox Viewers being "misinformed" comes from a far left (no question about it) website the Huffington Post.

...need anyone say more..

Nope. You said enough.

luckyone

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 14):
Umm yeah profitability at the cost of pandering to the lowest common denominator is not necessarily the wisest and best strategy for a leading nation.

Or there really are that many people with a point of view that they find Fox describes better.

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:36 am

you should watch the European channels for news, MSNBC & Fox if you want reality based fiction.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

airportugal310

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 5):
I'd watch HGTV before him.

Whats wrong with HGTV?  
Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 10):
MSNBC wishes it could be as bad as FOX News. The latter figured out that there was a load of money to be made presenting folks with a version of the news that reinforced all their preconceived notions of the world (regardless of whether those notions had any connection to reality), and now MSNBC is trying to cash in on the same phenomenon.

That sums it up rather well

Quoting luckyone (Reply 16):
Or there really are that many people with a point of view that they find Fox describes better.

Bazinga
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

stasisLAX

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:04 am

News should be presented more in the vein of a Al Jazeera presentation - just telling the story in great detail sans all the left leaning and right leaning nonsense. The nation is never gonna come together with so called 'facts' being presented in any prepackaged left or right persuasion.

Both MSNBC and Faux News are experts at labeling politicians - let's face it. But Murdoch's Newsgroup owns Fox and Comcast (and prior to that, General Electric) owns MSNBC - so either way, you're getting the news that the power-elite want us to get - in order to label and generalize - and thus divide the American public.

I read the international press on the internet MUCH MUCH more than I depend on the American main-stream media in the United States - the international press seems much more balanced and indeed based in facts, in my opinion.

Always remember the writer or news reporters own bias, then filtered it out!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

BN747

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 16):

'the recipients of lower common denominator pandering'.. does breed.. you are aware of that, right? It is counter productive towards a desired advancing gene pool (thus society), you're aware of that too, correct? And you're okay with that?

If so, it seems you'd prefer a divided nation over a united one, just come right out and say that then.

But I'd like to know...just what are the advantages and benefits for 'choosing' to be or comfortable with being misinformed?

BN747

[Edited 2011-12-06 19:52:00]

luckyone

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:11 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 20):
'the recipients of lower common denominator pandering'.. does breed.. you are aware of that, right? It is counter productive towards a desired advancing gene pool (thus society), you're aware of that too, correct? And you're okay with that?

If so, it seems you'd prefer a divided nation over a united one, just come right out and say that then.

Aside from the fact that what you've just said sounds a bit like eugenics, the people whom you claim to be the lowest common denominator are your opinion, and I respect that as such, disagree with it as I may. Many can (and do) argue that the more "liberal" news networks do the same. Although, it has been my unscientific observation that my more liberal friends tend to be more vitriolic about their opposition to conservative media by resorting to childish name calling a la Faux News than the other way around--and these are supposed to be the tolerant people. The liberal friends tend to be more incredulous that a different opinion exists at all, that nobody is smart enough to understand their view, and tend to resort to condescending pseudo-intellectualism toward their conservative counterparts, which quite frankly makes them look just as silly as a redneck rallying around Freedom Fries. There are just as many smart people who are conservatives as there are liberal, the media just doesn't show that as much because MOST of the media has a liberal bias.

I personally find most of Fox's commentators obnoxious, but then again I find most of the talking heads obnoxious regardless of the network. I think, however, it's a bit arrogant to label an opinion that differs from my own as "the lowest common denominator." I do think different opinions are beneficial. I find the concept of a completely politically united nation immensely disturbing. This many people all charging away in one direction has more possibilities for epic disaster than the disgusting partisan fighting we're witnessing right now, so given a choice between the two I'll take the head butting.

vinniewinnie

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 7):
Greta Van Susteren (sp?) is a liberal. Geraldo, is a Liberal.

Haha that is a good joke! Van susteren is as conservative as the others, just doesn't shout as much. Geraldo is conservative but likes to play devils advocate

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 15):
Classic. Your proof of Fox Viewers being "misinformed" comes from a far left (no question about it) website the Huffington Post.

Huffinton post is the messenger: have a look there if you don't believe the study actually exists: http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pi...adara/671.php?nid=&id=&pnt=671&lb=

exactly

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 17):

you should watch the European channels for news, MSNBC & Fox if you want reality based fiction.

exactly

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 19):
But Murdoch's Newsgroup owns Fox and Comcast

not true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast it's a fully independent company

Point is Fox is very biased and so is Msnbc. Fox loves ranting about mainstream media, academia etc etc, and thus creates some kind of relationship with the little guys that feel overwhelmed by big government, big cities big everything.

The difference is that Fox dumbs down everything, Msnbc less so. You actually can get some information out of a programme on Msnbc, on Fox you get to see pretty woman of all ages (usually blond) that don't have much to say/add to the conversation. There is a cult of personality on Fox, whereas on Msnbc the cult is more about ideas, mainly liberal yes but ideas nevertheless

L-188

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 am

I read the international press on the internet MUCH MUCH more than I depend on the American main-stream media in the United States - the international press seems much more balanced and indeed based in facts, in my opinion

Ohhh, the Euro media has it's points too.

Just this week this was a story that BP has filed a claim against Halliburton stating that the latter company knowing destroyed records relating to the Mecando oil spill. This is just a court filing

Headline on the BBC website, "Gull Spill Evidence 'Destroyed'"

The local paper the Anchorage Daily News carried the AP story with this headline, "Gulf rig contractor destroyed key oil spill evidence, BP charges"

Here are links to both stories to read, I personally think that the BBC went with their headline because BP is also a British company. The ADN/AP headline seems to be much less sensational and a more accurate statement of what is going on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16044836
http://www.adn.com/2011/12/06/220513...f-rig-subcontractor-destroyed.html
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

seb146

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:14 am

I read the international press on the internet MUCH MUCH more than I depend on the American main-stream media in the United States

I would like to watch al-Jazeera English. Just to see what they say.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 23):
Just this week this was a story that BP has filed a claim against Halliburton stating that the latter company knowing destroyed records relating to the Mecando oil spill.

Not much has been said about this here in California. From what I can tell, one company, according to media, has already blamed someone while, on another headline, only a charge has been filed.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

L-188

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 24):
Not much has been said about this here in California. From what I can tell, one company, according to media, has already blamed someone while, on another headline, only a charge has been filed.

All BP did was make a court filing against Halliburton but if you read the BBC headline it looks like a confirmed fact. At this point it is just an alligation in a court filing.....But since we are talking about the gulf oil spill we are talking about several companies jocking to shift blame and recover costs.

For the record if anybody cares. I have aps for FoxNews, Drudge Report, Al-Jazeera, MSNBC, CBSNews, CBC RADIO, NPR, The Toronto Star, King5 (Seattle), Gallup, AP Mobile, Politico and constantly am checking the Anchorage Daily News and KTUU news websites.

I will admit that usually I am checking the News on the Fox app but that is because CBS cuts the music I am listen too off my Ipod when I check it.

I also don't have a lot of patience for people who claim that they feel a news station is biased and then quote examples of opinion shows, not news shows (O'Reilly, Hannity, Shultz, Maddow) An opinion show is going to be based around the hosts opinion people! DUH!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

zippyjet

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 am

Fox is so right wing it's kind of funny. But I have to give them props for some of the hottest news babes.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 am

My gosh. Did Huffington Post do this study themselves...or did they report on it? Is that distinction honestly lost on you?

Who did you expect to report a study finding Fox News viewers less informed than average? Fox News?

Sure, reporting it is their own agenda setting power or whatever you want to call it, but if you want to dispute or question the findings, they are clearly not the ones responsible for this study here, as stated.

Nothing is more ridiculous than the "i don't believe this because i saw it on X website or on X channel". Where's the basis for what they're reporting on? Look there to assess the validity, not the messenger. Look to the University study itself, their methodology and credibility. Seeing it on HuffPo and scoffing is about as deep as a puddle.

The more partisan news sources will often look for things to match their perspective. They can be selectively biased without giving inaccurate or misleading information. In most cases its not like they are having in-house studies to make shit up.

If I were to cry "Waaah, this must be complete crap because i saw it on Fox News!!" I would run to the bathroom and stick a bar of soap in my mouth for having the intellectual curiosity and mentality of a 6 year old.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

StarAC17

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm not saying one is better than the other, its just annoys me when people on the left bash on FOX and then completely ignore the fact that MSNBC is obviously just as bad in terms of bias. Or am I missing something here and are there other reasons for the FOX-hate?

FOX has most of the market share which is why they get more of the personal attacks as opposed to the competition.

Its probably the style of broadcasting that you are seeing. Fox tends to be incredibly loud and angry and MSNBC seems to be a little more sarcastic and witty in their approach.

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 4):
Take for example the local Fox affiliate here in Seattle

Fox is different that Fox News. Remember the same parent company which has Fox News also has the like of Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlene whom are left leaning and poke fun at Fox News and conservatives. Also Fox has been known for very trashy programming.

Both make money so it works.

Really? The rest of them? Sheppard Smith is a liberal. Greta Van Susteren (sp?) is a liberal. Geraldo, is a Liberal. There are three of them I just listed as their big names leaning left. Can you do the same with MSNBC? I think not.

Joe Scarborough is a conservative and they did have Tucker Carlson on there for a time. MSNBC does have a fair amount of right wing pundits over Fox's left wing ones IMO.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Mir

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 pm

You do realize that the Huffington Post did not do that survey, right? That they're only reporting on it? Your beef is with Fairleigh Dickinson University.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Ken777

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:21 pm

He doesn't claim not to be biased, unlike those at MSNBC.

During the bits I have seen on msnbc there was no effort to claim anything but a left position. Some use humor and some just raise hell - like you'll find on FOX.

Quoting sw733 (Reply 8):
if you are normal and have a brain, you'll realize they are both off their rockers in very different directions!

They are not off their rockers - they are pretty effective at delivering profitable product to their target market. Sadly some viewers cannot filter what they hear with a bit of calming judgement.

N1120A

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 pm

FOX unabashedly lies. MSNBC shows why FOX is lying.

Quoting dfwrevolution (Reply 2):
Fox News may drive in the right lane and CNN may drive in the left lane, but MSNBC is driving into oncoming traffic.

Dennis Miller, given his extreme biases, is not a good source.

Sheppard Smith is a liberal.

Uh, no.

Greta Van Susteren (sp?) is a liberal.

No

Geraldo, is a Liberal.

Geraldo is a talk show host who does what his bosses say.

Can you do the same with MSNBC? I think not.

Joe Scarborough. Chris Matthews.

Indeed, this is the network that fired Phil Donahue because they were worried he would be (rightfully) critical of the Iraq War.

Both have their political agenda but no one can honestly say FOX is "far worse"

Actually, lots of people can. FOX unabashedly lies on the air.

They do excellent work. Much more of neutral view than FOX or MSNBC.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

gunsontheroof

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 9):
Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 10):

This is the end of the story, no question about it. Cable news is an absolute embarrassment and should be taken behind the barn, shot, buried and never spoken of again ASAP.

planespotting

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:52 pm

While all major news networks are pretty crappy (MSNBC, FOX, CNN, etc.) from my experience, the TV show "Fox and Friends" is the absolute bottom of the barrel of anything on television. This is where completely ignorant and downright stupid comments like "pepper spray is essentially a food product, what are they upset about?" (said in regards to peaceful sitting protestors being sprayed by police) seem to come out the most.

I know a former Marine embassy guard, who said that during his training, everyone was required to take pepper spray in the face at least once. He told me he'd rather take a baseball bat to each kneecap than ever get sprayed again.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Arrow

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 25):
All BP did was make a court filing against Halliburton but if you read the BBC headline it looks like a confirmed fact. At this point it is just an alligation in a court filing...

With all due respect, that's a bit of a nit pick. BBC put the word destroyed in quotes, indicating it is someone else's word, not theirs. I'll concede that "BP charges" in the Alaska example is clearer, but in both cases the stories pointed out that these are allegations in a court case (and they both have Halliburton's denials in the copy).

Headline writing is rarely complete (I've had to write thousands of them; not easy) and can often be misleading -- but I don't think this one fits that bill. And it isn't an example of bias, which this thread is about.

ALL media is capable of bias, and I would argue that the more subtle examples are in fact the more dangerous. The blatant FOXisms on the right and MSNBC on the left are usually so out to lunch they are easy to spot. The tragedy is how few people are capable of noticing it.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

BN747

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 27):

My gosh. Did Huffington Post do this study themselves...or did they report on it? Is that distinction honestly lost on you?

Who did you expect to report a study finding Fox News viewers less informed than average? Fox News?

I guess he did need hear that Fox News to report those findings for validity sake.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
FOX unabashedly lies.

That is the unabated truth!

Dennis Miller, given his extreme biases, is not a good source.

Indeed, this is the network that fired Phil Donahue because they were worried he would be (rightfully) critical of the Iraq War.

Boy there's goes all that Liberal Media chatter...right off a cliff.

I read the international press on the internet MUCH MUCH more than I depend on the American main-stream media in the United States

It doesn't air where you are? I thought it was a satellite broadcast.

It's practically the best news broadcast there is for in-depth reporting...straight news and none of this ultra annoying news Anchors trying to double as comedians! Nothing annoys me more.

You're never hear ' And when we come back, you won't believe...blah blah blah' OR '...and wasn't that a hoot or cute" etc.
I'm like shut the #%!@R!!@! up already, just report.

But the American media is too far gone for that. It is all about spin.

And worst of all is this pervasive mindset expressed here by many 'It's profitable'...WTF is that all about, just because it's profitable, it's good or worthy? The telling or delivery of news has no business whatsoever being in the profit/loss business..at that point it becomes a commodity and losses all credibility for being untainted by bias and predetermined content/delivery.

What's next? Are you profitable? If not, the meat wagon comes for you? A lot of people will fall squarely into that categpry.

BN747

[Edited 2011-12-07 10:47:41]

DeltaMD90

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Quoting planespotting (Reply 33):
I know a former Marine embassy guard, who said that during his training, everyone was required to take pepper spray in the face at least once. He told me he'd rather take a baseball bat to each kneecap than ever get sprayed again.

I took it. Wasn't bad at all IMO. Now tasers on the other hand...  

I do have a question for the posters: what news source do you consider the least biased? I'm hearing Al-Jazeera a lot...
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

GuitrThree

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:36 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 27):
Quoting Mir (Reply 29):
You do realize that the Huffington Post did not do that survey, right? That they're only reporting on it? Your beef is with Fairleigh Dickinson University.

You guys are missing the point. I was responding to this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1....html

Note the first word of my post, which was "Classic." I was simply pointing out that BN747 had found great example about the Left Media, The Huffington Post, claiming how bad the other sides viewers were. Like BN747 said, "THIS IS A GOOD REASON TO STOP THE LEFT NEWS VS THE RIGHT NEWS..." Maybe I read it wrong but I thought he was pointing out that it's become nothing more than left this, right this, blah blah blah.. I never claimed either side was right or wrong.

Greta Van Susteren (sp?) is a liberal.

No

Really? Have you looked at her relationship with the Clintons. Google it..

Scarborough, maybe, on a good day. Matthews? You mean "Thrill up my leg" Matthews? There's not enough smiley face icons to fill the screen up with that one. Chris Matthews. My God are you blind? Or deaf? Geeze. That's like saying Sean Hannity is a liberal. Perfect example of how some of those on the left actually look at MSNBC as being "center."

Braniff747SP

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 pm

And don't for one minute try to tell me that Sharpton, Ed Schultz, or Rachel Maddow are any less left than Hannity and O'Reilly are right. If you attempt that you are a fool.

[Edited 2011-12-06 15:48:45]

I refuse to watch MSNBC or Fox

This thread is about Fox, hence I only mentioned them. I can't stand MSNBC because of Maddow, Sharpton, and the rest of 'em.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

N1120A

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 37):
Really? Have you looked at her relationship with the Clintons. Google it..

Being friendly with the Clintons? Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy were great friends.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 37):
Scarborough, maybe, on a good day. Matthews? You mean "Thrill up my leg" Matthews? There's not enough smiley face icons to fill the screen up with that one. Chris Matthews. My God are you blind? Or deaf? Geeze. That's like saying Sean Hannity is a liberal. Perfect example of how some of those on the left actually look at MSNBC as being "center."

1) Scarborough was a Republican Congressman

2) Matthews voted for Bush in 2000.

3) I don't see most of the MSNBC prime time lineup as "center", at least in the sense of US politics. They are center-left to left. None are hard left.

GuitrThree

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:17 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
3) I don't see most of the MSNBC prime time lineup as "center", at least in the sense of US politics. They are center-left to left. None are hard left.

Sharpton, Shultz and Maddow aren't hard left? Really?

vinniewinnie

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 43):

No they aren't! Pay a little interest to the European left to really see what hard left means. It's the republican media and the republican media that want you to believe that. Anyone with a little knowledge of politics and the world will tell you that the hard left is nearly not represented at all in America.

as N1120a said they are center-left to left not at all hard left.

N1120A

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:58 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 43):

Shultz is left.

Sharpton is an oddball anyway, but left-ish.

Maddow is center-left. Indeed, in Europe, Maddow would be dead center.

Yellowstone

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:00 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
Shultz is left.

Sharpton is an oddball anyway, but left-ish.

Maddow is center-left. Indeed, in Europe, Maddow would be dead center.

I can't be the only one out there who doesn't really care whether these folks are right, left, center, whatever. Politically, I'm center-left, but as long as you can put together a rational, fact-based argument in favor of your position (wherever you fall on the political spectrum), I'm glad to listen to it. From what I've heard of them, I'd group Maddow and Scarborough together, and Schultz with O'Reilly. It's not about left versus right, it's about analysis versus demagoguery.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

N1120A

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:13 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 46):
From what I've heard of them, I'd group Maddow and Scarborough together, and Schultz with O'Reilly. It's not about left versus right, it's about analysis versus demagoguery.

I don't see Schultz as an analogue to O'Reilly, because Schultz doesn't make things up. I do agree that he tends to be more of a "red meat" type of commentator, as opposed to someone like Maddow, who uses actual facts and studies.

GuitrThree

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:08 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Indeed, in Europe, Maddow would be dead center.

Wow. Didn't know I moved to Europe.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 44):
I don't see Schultz as an analogue to O'Reilly, because Schultz doesn't make things up.

Really. He doesn't make things up? This took me all of 5 seconds to find. Watch both of the videos, the Perry and the Bortz videos and then make that statement again. Geeze. You are unbelievable. Watch both example where this loser edits the audio.

http://www.atraditionallifelived.com...chultz-is-lying-liar-who-lies.html

MoltenRock

Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 40):

No, not at all. Sadly, America doesn't have any "hard left" party representation, by any standard world guide. Obama is a center or center-right President and the wingnuts lose their minds calling him a "Marxist" and "Socialist". I still haven't met a single wingnut American in my travels that can give me one solid, solitary, single, example of why Obama is a "Socialist". But I digress....

Sharpton, Maddow, and Shultz (SM&S) are liberals and readily admit such. FAUX news and their faux news personalities do no such thing, but rather claim they are "fair and balanced", when nothing could be further from the truth. I'm sorry, but when you have people that start off with huge lies trying to claim they are something they are not, it blows their credibility out of the water. When Jon Stewart can destroy your argument with a 30 second humor bit, you've gone over the line into wingnut crazyland. That said, SM&S are not "hard left". In fact Ed Schultz was a Republican for much of his life until he saw the light of what a wingnut Republican House, Senate, & White House looked like under Bush Jr. Only then did he change his tune, and realize the error of his ways, much like many other former Republicans.

The problem is, the current Republicans no longer are remotely reasonable, sane, or serious. Instead, they masturbate the wingnut idiocy, white, trailer trash, over 55 year old, crowd all the while stoking hate against anyone not in their trailer park demographics. Go figure.

Obama has this reelection in the bag.

GuitrThree

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:34 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 46):
Obama has this reelection in the bag.

Wow. Speechless. Really. I'm glad you think so. I'll mark this thread in my memory and I'll pull it out in November for you. That will be much easier than dissecting your rant.

BN747

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:50 am

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 46):
The problem is, the current Republicans no longer are remotely reasonable, sane, or serious. Instead, they masturbate the wingnut idiocy, white, trailer trash, over 55 year old, crowd all the while stoking hate against anyone not in their trailer park demographics. Go figure.

Or as I call it...pandering to the 'lowest common denominator'..

BN747

NWA330nut

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 am

So what about the Current? Anybody watch that?

I find The Young Turks full of facts, so I would like to hear what people's opinions are about that show (left/right)

Cheers