zrs70
Topic Author

Perry's Vial Anti-gay Message

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:16 am

I am disgusted by this. How could Texas elect him as governor multiple times?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0PAJNntoRgA

And I LOVE my colleague's response!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tjWoRPaI0&feature=share
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Tugger

RE: Perry's Vial Anti-gay Message

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:21 am

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):

That is really good!
Two thumbs up!      

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

JU068

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 am

It's simple, he got more than 50% of the vote.

I do not understand why some immigrants are complaining that people celebrate Christmass in the US. 60% to 76% of the Americans are Christians, if someone has a problem then he can either live with it or pack his bags and move somewhere else.

[Edited 2011-12-09 22:27:28]

Tugger

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:33 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 2):
I do not understand why some immigrants are complaining that people celebrate Christmass in the US. 60% to 76% of the Americans are Christians, if someone has a problem then he can either live with it or pack his bags and move somewhere else.

No one minds people celebrating Christmas here in the USA. If you have that impression it is incorrect.

Christmas is a very fun and festive time of year (with the associated stress that comes with fun and festive time of the year   ). The battle is always over whether "the state" is sponsoring or endorsing anything religious. Usually it ends going overboard one way or the other, people can't seem to calm down. But that's life I guess.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

jetblueguy22

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:44 am

I can't believe this day in age people are still so closed minded. He's pretty ballsy for being so openly anti gay. That may work if you want to be governor, but it isn't going to get you the presidency.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

DocLightning

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:13 am

Yanno, every day Facebook tags about 12 to 20 posts made by my friends about Christmas. I can't set foot in any commercial space without seeing Christmas decorations up. Every church has a nativity scene. Every billboard is in red and green. It's all over TV. There are Salvation Army people outside every store.

I'm sorry but I just don't see a Christmas shortage.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Ken777

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:24 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 2):
60% to 76% of the Americans are Christians,

That leaves a lot of aAmericans who are Jewish, or follow some over religion. And all of those should have the same tights to not be persecuted (or harassed) for their religion. That was one of the foundations of America.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 5):
I'm sorry but I just don't see a Christmas shortage.

I've worked for a few Jewish merchants over the years and the best joke that came from market was:

Did you know the Jews invented Christmas?

Oi, December was a slow month.

mainMAN

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:19 am

Oh dear, how unfortunate. A massive own goal, precisely why secular Europeans (like me) love to snigger at the incredulity of it all.........

Asturias

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:53 am

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 7):
Oh dear, how unfortunate. A massive own goal, precisely why secular Europeans (like me) love to snigger at the incredulity of it all.........

You guys voted for Tony Blair multiple times. Margaret Thatcher as well.

Might want to ease up on the "high and mighty" attitude.

ast.
Tonight we fly

mainMAN

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:04 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 8):
You guys voted for Tony Blair multiple times. Margaret Thatcher as well.

Sorry did you misinterpret what I wrote? I wasn't talking about UK politicians, although if you want to, worthwhile to know that our public servants generally don't get elected on the back of voter hatred and ignorance.

And in terms of "high and mighty" - thank you very much for the endorsement.

photopilot

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:15 am

Bravo for Perry for standing up to what he believes in. He should package that in a vial, or would that be considered vile?

While personally I think the whole "christian" thing about god, a virgin birth, and miracles is nothing more than a fairy-tale, he's completely entitled to say what he thinks and publish/broadcast his message. The only choice you have is to either vote for him or pick another candidate more closely aligned with your thoughts.

Asturias

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:35 am

Quoting mainMAN (Reply 9):
Sorry did you misinterpret what I wrote?

Did I?

I wasn't talking about UK politicians, although if you want to, worthwhile to know that our public servants generally don't get elected on the back of voter hatred and ignorance.

Don't know about hatred, but claiming your public servants aren't 'generally' elected on the back of ignorance is pretty difficult to believe. Blair was perhaps the very definition of ignorant.

And in terms of "high and mighty" - thank you very much for the endorsement.

Holier than thou.

asturias
Tonight we fly

mainMAN

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:44 am

Quoting Asturias (Reply 11):
Holier than thou.

Enough of the personal insults already. When discussing the ignorance and stupidity of homophobia and fundamental religion in all its most destructive forms, then yes, I may well be so.

Now tell me why you think homosexuals shouldn't have the same basic rights (to serve their countries etc) as everyone else.

einsteinboricua

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:52 am

Forget the content of the video. I can expect this from any Republican candidate. It's obvious they want gays to stay hidden and not give them equal treatment.

However, just look at the comment section...yep. Disabled. Makes you wonder how committed he is to criticism. I'd be worried if this man makes it to the white House. He might just send the FBI, Secret Service, and the ARMY after you if you ever dare insult him. If a candidate isn't even willing to let people express themselves about the content (other than the like/dislike bar), in my view, that candidate is not worthy of being in ANY office.

Speaking about war on religion, I've seen Republicans get altered whenever a Muslim party wins elections in a Middle Eastern country. Their reason? It will infringe on human rights, set religion as the source of law, and will bred hatred towards other nationalities (not to mention possible breeding ground for terrorists). Now I ask: is there really a difference between a Republican candidate and a member of, say, the Muslim Brotherhood, besides engaging in terrorism? Both seek to take away rights from certain members of society, both want to institute laws based on religion, both consider criticism towards the government as unpatriotic (or a sin) worthy of punishment...have I left anything else?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

lhr380

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Hmmm, 15,073 Likes, 538,490 dislikes.

Dont think people like him much
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

MoltenRock

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 15):

It's a desperation move. Perry had to attempt a "jump the shark" move to see if he could break out. Instead of a big boom, it went over like a turd in a punchbowl.

lhr380

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Quoting MoltenRock (Reply 16):
Instead of a big boom, it went over like a turd in a punchbowl.

You can say that again lol
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

something

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:45 pm

I don't necessarily believe that Perry actually believes in the message of this clip.. hell, he even used to be a Democrat until 1989.

Quote:
In 1987, Perry voted for a $5.7 billion tax increase proposed by Republican governor Bill Clements.[22] Perry supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic presidential primaries and worked in an unspecified capacity for Gore's campaign in Texas
~Wikipedia

Perry tries to pander to the ultra hard right wingers as he seems to have alienated all literate people. What else could he do at this point other than to foster his super conservative image?

[Edited 2011-12-10 05:47:17]
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

luckyone

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 2):
It's simple, he got more than 50% of the vote.

The second time he actually won with only 39%.

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 15):
Dont think people like him much

Which would explain his single digit polling numbers. He's been through enough elections he should see that his campaign is circling the drain.

Also, um, what do Perry's comments have to do with "vials?"

Mir

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:07 pm

There is no "War on Christmas". It's a creation of the religious right who apparently have some sort of need to feel persecuted about something (perhaps if they had actually been persecuted historically, such as the gay community or the Jewish community, they'd have a different opinion about it). If someone has the time to get that upset over someone substituting "happy holidays" for "merry christmas", they need to find a hobby.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 10):
While personally I think the whole "christian" thing about god, a virgin birth, and miracles is nothing more than a fairy-tale, he's completely entitled to say what he thinks and publish/broadcast his message.

You know there's not a lot to defend someone on when the best you can come up with is "well, he's got the right to say it." Of course he's got the right to say it - nobody's disputing that.

The only choice you have is to either vote for him or pick another candidate more closely aligned with your thoughts.

There's actually another choice: call him out for making himself look like an idiot.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 14):
However, just look at the comment section...yep. Disabled. Makes you wonder how committed he is to criticism. I'd be worried if this man makes it to the white House. He might just send the FBI, Secret Service, and the ARMY after you if you ever dare insult him.

He proposed reassigning government employees who didn't agree with him to middle-of-nowhere posts. Disregarding for the moment the fact that that's illegal, it's a very good example of the sort of vindictive guy he is.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 14):
If a candidate isn't even willing to let people express themselves about the content (other than the like/dislike bar), in my view, that candidate is not worthy of being in ANY office.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

simonriat

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Are not the states known as land of the free?
Also isn't it written in one of the amendments (first I think), to the right of free speach.
Surely it is down to the individual if he/ she chooses to listen/ believe, isnt that what democracy is all about?

MoltenRock

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting simonriat (Reply 21):

Who's saying Perry doesn't have a right to say stupid things? When he does, others have that same right to point out the hypocrisy and ignorance of what he said. It cuts both ways, dontcha know.

Mir

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Also, nice choice of jacket on the part of Rick Perry. Looks very rugged. Except, haven't I seen that somewhere before?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ltbewr

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:53 pm

While we have a very open concept of freedom of speech as to government regulation, even more that found in some European countries, one also has to take responsibility for what they say with penalties for doing so. The best way to fight irresponsible and abuses of on's freedom of speech is for 'more' free speech by opponents.

Perry keeps saying things that makes him sound as smart as only an average 5th grader, but him and far too many persons are just as ignorant, insensitive, narrow-minded, borderline racists and religious bigots and are enough of the likely voters to win and hold elected office, that is all they care about.

ozglobal

Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:35 pm

The current GOP candidates (except perhaps for Ron Paul who has integrity, but some extreme ideological positions and is probably unelectable) are genuinely evil people:

- They clearly do NOT believe the positions they hold
- They peddle hatred, xenophobia, homophobia and fake moral outrage
- If it were vote-worthy to demonize jews or women or children, they would do it in a heart beat
- Obama / Clinton's recent statements on human rights and gays persecuted has lead the GOP beast to smell blood and the opportunity to draw some with a little good ol' (fake) 1950's moral outrage and hate mongering
- They don't believe in Christ, not really. They are committing a very heavy sin: false religion, religion used a weapon against the marginalized, religion to bludgeon the scapegoat for honor at the temple
- Jesus warned of a very severe condemnation for the religious hypocrites. They should think twice if there is any real christianity in them...

[Edited 2011-12-10 07:42:10]

[Edited 2011-12-10 07:42:37]
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

BN747

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Bravo for Perry for standing up to what he believes in.
he's completely entitled to say what he thinks and publish/broadcast his message.

When 'Hate & Discrimination' gets a cheerleader...

..attend Klan rallies to cheer them on too?

..it's America, we already know people have the right to say what wish, there's no need to goad ignorance.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

seb146

Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Are not the states known as land of the free?
Also isn't it written in one of the amendments (first I think), to the right of free speach.

Two different concepts. The most freedom a person can have is if they are heterosexual Christian white male.

Surely it is down to the individual if he/ she chooses to listen/ believe, isnt that what democracy is all about?

Yeah, except when it is convenient for Christianity to be attacked.

I just love how the right-wing claims to be small government and "get gub'mint out of my life" but, really, they want to inject government in every facet of our lives. They want government to tell us what to do in the bedroom and who we can enter into contracts with (anti gay rights) and what holidays to celebrate ("war" on Christmas) and what medical procedures are allowed (abortion, gender re-assignment)...

Isn't Perry the one who once said something about taking Texas out of The Union? How patriotic....
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

something

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 25):
Perry keeps saying things that makes him sound as smart as only an average 5th grader, but him and far too many persons are just as ignorant, insensitive, narrow-minded, borderline racists and religious bigots and are enough of the likely voters to win and hold elected office, that is all they care about.

Give the American people some credit.. In an honest poll, I don't think 20% of Americans sympathize with the spot, but not all 100% of American go vote. Scaring people by telling them they are becoming a minority in ''their own'' country and will soon have to live as slaves to the people they used to be in control of, unleashes a lot of fear and anger and that in turn mobilizes a lot of people to vote for a certain candidate whereas all the other people lack the mojo to even wake up for this.

In the end, you may only have a tiny portion of the entire population on your side, but it may very well be enough if the rest of the people meekly stand by and watch.

eaa3

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Why do people so often use faith to do and say terrible things.

kiwiandrew

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 32):

Probably because they are insecure people, and that is what lead them to have a religion in the first place. People who are self assured don't need one. Having said that, I personally know a few people who have a religion but who don't use it as an excuse to justify extremist views.

fly777s

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:51 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 32):

Because religion is a very powerful tool and has the ability to stir up the emotions of the masses...

Perry is just another Christian with selective morality using religion to conjure up hostility and emotion to pander to the conservative Christian base... If he is so concerned with the morality and the loss of "values" and what not, he should join the ministry...

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:05 am

for one- considering the way he debates, I don't think he is anti-gay. I think he expresses himself poorly at times, which has caused him to lose significant ground in the debates. I take it as him stating that people should be able to express themselves freely.

This ad was expressed in the worst way possible. I would think he is out of the race now. Which leaves those of us really not preferring another obama term with Paul (who I am most in line with) and Romney (who I will instead vote libertarian).
Chicks dig winglets.

helvknight

Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Also, nice choice of jacket on the part of Rick Perry. Looks very rugged. Except, haven't I seen that somewhere before?

A point made in this parody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtFzuGeCfkc
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

1stfl94

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tjW...share

Excellent Response!

MaverickM11

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Perry is everything I hate about Texas: big hat, no cattle--huge ego, nothing to back it up. His debating skills prove it; this ad proves it.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 19):
He's been through enough elections he should see that his campaign is circling the drain.

But as per my previous comment, I can almost guarantee he's totally oblivious. He's Texan, dammit. Guns! Horns! Yeah!
E pur si muove -Galileo

Superfly

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 6):
And all of those should have the same tights

????
NO! ! !   
Not everyone looks good in "tights".

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):

Is that the Brokeback Mountain guy?

Rick Perry is a real fool for making this commercial.
He'll drop out of the race shortly after the Iowa caucus.
Bring back the Concorde

helvknight

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
Quoting Mir (Reply 23):

Is that the Brokeback Mountain guy?

Yep. He's getting the p ripped out of him left and right across the interwebs because of it.

Like they say

oops
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

Superfly

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Quoting helvknight (Reply 40):
Yep. He's getting the p ripped out of him left and right across the interwebs because of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is gay himself.
Bring back the Concorde

usflyer msp

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Rick Perry is an embarrassment to Texas and to Christians...

Maverick623

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 42):
Rick Perry is an embarrassment to Texas and to Christians...

Fixed.

Remember folks, the civil rights movement didn't succeed overnight. "Separate but Equal" was overturned in 1954. Anti-miscegenation laws weren't overturned until 1975. We now face the same exact change, except the target of some people's hatred has changed from skin color to sexual orientation.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Type-Rated

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:36 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Perry just does not get the concept of separation of church and state. He's just pandering to the religious right. He's an idiot.
Thank goodness he'll soon be gone from the national scene.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

StarAC17

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 3):
No one minds people celebrating Christmas here in the USA.

Can we get one thing straight and understand that Christmas in terms of presents, lights and the Christmas tree have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus, In fact it pre-dates Jesus.

It is a pagan celebration that celebrated the days starting to get longer in the Northern hemisphere and they are worshipping light and new growth for the upcoming seasonal year. Absolutely nothing to do with religion, we should tell the Muslims and the Jews (most whom already know) that this present thing has nothing to do with religion and they should feel free to get in on it.

The government should be able to put up a Christmas tree at city hall but I agree a nativity scene is not acceptable because church and state should be separate. The same should apply for a Menorah as well, do what you want in your own private property but it shouldn't be shown on public property.

I'm a non-believer and I disagree with all of it when it comes to religious aspects.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

kiwiinoz

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:42 am

I dont understand how the issues of gays in the military and celebrating Christianity in schools are linked. Are these not two seperate issues.....it is wierd referencing them against each other in the same message

However it confirms, (certainly in this guys case) what I have long suspected about politics in the US. People don't "vote Republican" or "vote Democrat". They ARE Republican and they ARE Democrat.

This being the case, their political party dictates their way of thinking on certain issues. It amazes me that someone can dislike gays, love guns, be against universal health care, etc all in the same package

In other places, people form their beliefs first and then select who they vote for, (and there is never a perfect fit as a result)

I think if the US wants to solve it's issue of what festivals it celebrates in schools, follow Singapore's example. I went to school there and rather than celebrating nothing we celebrated EVERYTHING!! Christmas, Divali, Ramadan....it was very educational, great fun, and made for harmony and understanding.

something

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 am

Quoting kiwiinoz (Reply 46):
It amazes me that someone can dislike gays, love guns, be against universal health care, etc all in the same package

It's even more astounding that these deeply religious people are all in favor of the death penalty.

But re: Christmas shortage. As others have rightly pointed out, there is anything but a christmas shortage in the USA. I know bunches of people who actually go to New York specifically for all the x-mas decorations there. The actual celebration of it in schools is wrong, just as displaying a nativity scene at a townhall. Not because I personally object to it entirely, but because you can't force/make your students/citizens believe in something that is completely fictional. If you treat it as such, by all means, celebrate away.

I don't think such a problem would ever emerge in Europe, for the simple reason that nobody here (as far as I know) actually associates Christmas with religious beliefs. It's holidays, good food, candy, gift giving, decorations, love, friends, family and smiling children. If it's nothing more than that, nobody will have a problem with it.

His anti-gay statements are entirely inacceptable though. It took me a while to even understand his logic: A gay person is committing a sin, god hates him, an evil person like him can't defend god's favorite place on earth, the USA. I think this level of being delusional is already considered a mental illness. If christianity wasn't an old, big, therefore socially accepted religion, there's no way you could ever get away with this without being declared mentally deranged. These people need help.

[Edited 2011-12-11 18:36:13]

GBLKD

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 45):
Can we get one thing straight and understand that Christmas in terms of presents, lights and the Christmas tree have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus, In fact it pre-dates Jesus.

It is a pagan celebration that celebrated the days starting to get longer in the Northern hemisphere and they are worshipping light and new growth for the upcoming seasonal year. Absolutely nothing to do with religion, we should tell the Muslims and the Jews (most whom already know) that this present thing has nothing to do with religion and they should feel free to get in on it.

The government should be able to put up a Christmas tree at city hall but I agree a nativity scene is not acceptable because church and state should be separate. The same should apply for a Menorah as well, do what you want in your own private property but it shouldn't be shown on public property.

I'm a non-believer and I disagree with all of it when it comes to religious aspects.

Well said.

Quoting something (Reply 47):
It's even more astounding that these deeply religious people are all in favor of the death penalty.

Again   

How can the Governor of Texas, a man who has overseen many executions and signed many death warrants call himself a Christian?

Christian = a follower of Christ right? As a man who we are led to believe was actually a leader (let's call him the original "community organiser"  wink  ) who preached love and forgiveness and was publically executed for it does anyone really honestly believe that he would be in favour of putting anyone to death?

If Jesus returned to Earth I'm 100% convinced he would be outside the prisons lighting candles with the anti death penalty groups.

[Edited 2011-12-12 11:13:17]

N1120A

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 2):
I do not understand why some immigrants are complaining that people celebrate Christmass in the US.

Funny, given that most of the "immigrants" that Americans complain about are most certainly Christian and celebrate Christmas, I don't get where you are coming from.

Basically no one complains about it. The rabbi in the video was using it for parody.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 45):

Yep.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Rara

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Amazing video.   That'd make him unelectable pretty much everywhere in the world, except in Arab countries I guess.

I must say those Republican candidates are rather entertaining (for an outsider, I realize it must be painful for republicans in America, and I feel with you). It's a shame Sarah Palin hasn't joined in though.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

DocLightning

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 50):
It's a shame Sarah Palin hasn't joined in though.

Do you realize, that with the exception of Romney and possibly Gingrich, Palin would actually fall among the most centrist and best-qualified of the current GOP field of candidates?

The GOP has a serious problem, which is that they have basically been overrun by the "Religious Right." You have a GOP cheering squad that is screaming very loudly for extreme right-wing positions. The trouble is that those people don't get you elected. It's independent swing voters who are going to get you elected.

Even Pat Robertson said on the 700 Club that the GOP candidates were being too extreme and that it would lose them the election. Now, when Pat Robertson tells you that you are being too right-wing extreme, that's telling you something.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Rara

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Yeah, it's amazing. If the left-wing was as extreme as the right-wing, you guys would have a fully-fledged Communist party now.  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Zentraedi

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 51):
Even Pat Robertson said on the 700 Club that the GOP candidates were being too extreme and that it would lose them the election. Now, when Pat Robertson tells you that you are being too right-wing extreme, that's telling you something.

Wait, isn't Pat Robertson the one who blamed US homosexuals for 9/11?

Man...if HE is saying that the GOP is too extreme....