Geezer

Things That Have Already Gone Away

Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:46 am

I have been reading ( and enjoying immensely ) Zippyjet's brilliant thread about "things we wish would go away";
( probably one of the best threads of the year, IMHO; ) After having made several contributions of my own, it got me to thinking about several such subjects that really have already gone away, and again, IMHO, a very good thing;

For example..........does anyone remember the Syclone ? ( Even the very name was dumb; most people spell it Cyclone.

Anyway, the Syclone, ( for those who were fortunate enough to have not noticed it ), was a very feeble attempt on the part of General Motors to produce and market a high performance P/U truck, based on the then popular S-10, and actually get people to buy the things. It had a HUGE motor, a HUGE price tag, (and, as it turned out, a very minuscule following. )

( I'm not sure, but I think they sold about three of them. )

At the time this thing came along, I was still driving and hauling cars for Complete Auto out of Norwood, Ohio, where the S-10's were built at the time. ( The Syclones were made someplace else, don't remember, but possible in in Antarctica by penguins ?) Anyway, we started getting a Syclone now and then on the rail, which we reloaded and delivered around our area, ( which basically consisted of the United States )

Also at the time, we had this driver named Bubba; (name changed to protect the ignorant) I don't remember if he had a first name or not, but probably not. Bubba was a..........well......a squirrel; ( one of those guys that always has the "latest & greatest" ), especially if it's real dumb, and no one else either has it, needs it, or wants it. This guy always seemed to have such things ! So one day, in comes Bubba to work, in his brand new Syclone !

I should mention, these things were supposed to go 150 MPH, 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, get about 3 gallons per mile, etc.
In other words, exactly the kind of things Bubba was always noted for buying / owning, etc. The guy was.........odd; never talked to anyone much.........as though he was convinced they would be incapable of comprehending his brilliant mind; ( you know the type ) he was also noted for something else that REALLY "endeared him" to his fellow drivers;........he beat up on his wife a lot ! Sometimes after she had driven him to work.

Shortly after becoming the only driver to own ( or even want to own ) a Syclone, he appeared one day in check-in with his next "only driver" "thingie", ( and my second item on my list of things that have gone away, and thank heavens ), a ridiculous looking big battery operated telephone, in a big brown canvas "bag". ( I can just see it now ) Bubba arrives back from a run, big bag hanging from his shoulder, shows up in check-in, ( where drivers check in all paperwork after each trip ).

Probably the most amusing aspect to Bubba's Bag Phone, was the fact that Bubba didn't have anyone to call ! No one wanted to talk to the guy, because he was such a "squirrel"; so he always called his wife..........( who he just beat up on, last time she drove him to work )

I don't remember anymore what ever happened to the bag-phone; possibly he was conversing on it when he wrapped the Syclone around a steel utility pole about 3 times, and ended it's rather brief, and un-insured existence. Bubba survived though, and went on to transfer to the Moraine Assembly Plant, where we all hauled Blazers until I "hung it up" in '97; I don't know much about it after that.

So I hereby nominate as my two least-needed, least useful "things", that have come along, and have "gone away", to everyone's joy, and no one's sorrow. Hopefully, we may all be able to forget all about them, given enough time.

Does anyone else have any candidates for this list ?

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

hOMSaR

RE: Things That Have Already Gone Away

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:43 am

Respect, decency, and intellectual honesty in the nation's political discourse.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

BMI727

Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 am

Quoting geezer (Thread starter):
Anyway, the Syclone, ( for those who were fortunate enough to have not noticed it ), was a very feeble attempt on the part of General Motors to produce and market a high performance P/U truck, based on the then popular S-10, and actually get people to buy the things. It had a HUGE motor, a HUGE price tag, (and, as it turned out, a very minuscule following. )

Feeble attempt? The Syclone, and it's Jimmy based counterpart called the Typhoon, are cult classics. There was nothing feeble about a sub-five second 0-60 sprint in the early 1990s. The SyTy trucks could embarrass quite a few sports cars of the same vintage, including the Ferrari 348. (Though that was far from Ferrari's best effort)

I'm not sure, but I think they sold about three of them.

Off by a factor of 1000. Plus about 4700 Typhoons.

a HUGE price tag

The sticker price of a 1991 Syclone was $25,500 (low to mid $40k range now) and the 1992 Typhoon was $29,970. (about $45-50k in 2010 dollars)

Of course GM did eventually get around to building not one but two useless trucks: the Aztek and SSR.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

zippyjet

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:08 am

I have been reading ( and enjoying immensely ) Zippyjet's brilliant thread about "things we wish would go away";
( probably one of the best threads of the year, IMHO; ) After having made several contributions of my own, it got me to thinking about several such subjects that really have already gone away, and again, IMHO, a very good thing;

Geezer: I'm honored. I had a similar thread last year and the top number one was Justin Bieber   
Getting back to your thread here are some more things that were even less popular than a fart in Church or Schul:
In no particular order:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg/800px-2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg

Ultimate Me Generation useless item. Consumer Reports panned it back in 1980. I remember seeing this advertised in an Eastern Arilines flight magazine.

Another 1970's me decade piece of technology that languished in the stores.
The Macarena it lasted one year 1996.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8GccwvaG_Yc/TD14Z6prvBI/AAAAAAAAAGc/HDSlV8wg6wQ/s1600/02.jpg Chisenbop
another educrat's idea of 1970's innovation.

Zonker Toy....In the late Spring of 1972 almost everyone went around knocking these things together. Especially popular with the pseudo hippies (suburban white kids imitating hippies). After a couple accidents where the balls exploded and caused bodily harm these things faded faster than the Macarena.

Now two things I was sort of sad faded away:

The Lambada: Back in 1989 this dance shook as hard as SFO during that earthquake and the dance featured plenty of sweaty leggy females with dancer bodies grinding away!

And, one that probably causes many of A-Netters a tear or two:

Boeing 2707 SST!

http://airchive.com/html/memorabilia...model-sst-2707-brochure-1966/12017

If the pic does not load, here's a link to the web page showing 2707 advertisements!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:54 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 3):
Another 1970's me decade piece of technology that languished in the stores.

I LOVE Quadraphonic sound!
Those stereos are worth a ton of money today! Luckily I got in to quadraphonic sound in the early 1990s.
I have a Marantz 4400 quadraphonic receiver with SQ full-logic and an external CD-4 disc demodulator.
My system also includes at Technics 858 quadraphonic 8track recorder and a Teac A3340 4-channel 10" reel to reel recorder.
Sumiko still makes photo cartridges and stylus that can properly penetrate the grooves of the old CD-4 discreet quadraphonic LPs.
They have a 35,000hz carrier frequency that activates the decoder and separates the sound.
My Town Car also has a factory quadraphonic 8track player.
Lincoln and Rolls Royce were the only two car brands to offer quadraphonic 8track players in their cars.
Bring back the Concorde

mirrodie

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:06 am

Concorde

Good common sense

The benefit of the doubt

Good television
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:28 am

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 5):
Good common sense

Sad but true.

The proper way to listen to quad was with these sophisticated systems.

How many of you all hear remember the RCA CED VideoDisc?
(Capacitance Electronic Disc)
Very interesting but a joke of a format that came out way too late to be successful.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/Ced_cart2.jpg/670px-Ced_cart2.jpg

What this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pymAoh7KH64
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:04 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 3):
The Macarena it lasted one year 1996.

You were lucky. Here it lasted for almost three. Every freaking wedding I went to in those three years still comes back to haunt me at night. They would play it at least twice, and you would hope people would not request it or it would go on and on and on...

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
How many of you all hear remember the RCA CED VideoDisc?
(Capacitance Electronic Disc)
Very interesting but a joke of a format that came out way too late to be successful.

Hard as it is to believe, that was the format used by MX for initial ground school when training pilots from the 727 to their brand new A320s. They were still being used in ´94, although I recall the Captain who showed me the thing saying "itw as a bit old but did its job"

Geezer

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:08 am

[quote=zippyjet,reply=3]I had a similar thread last year and the top number one was Justin Bieber

As far as I'm concerned, that one hasn't changed a bit ! Let's put him back on #1 to "go away" ! ( Antarctica maybe ? )

Bone Phone ? Lol ; missed that one ( thank heavens )

Quadraphonic ? I must confess......I had totally forgotten about it......but I did hear about it when it first came out.

Chisenbop...........Wow ! Now that IS a new one; like the "zonker toy", I missed out hearing about either one; ( no wonder I don't miss them )

Lambada..........man, why didn't somebody bring these cats back out while "dancing with the schmucks" was on ! We could have got rid of them sooner !

Mirrodie; Good TV........hey, I was just watching GREAT TV tonight.........my favorite show was on.....

"Build It Bigger" Tonight Danny was helping them dig a tunnel through the alps; BIG hole, that !''

[quote=BMI727,reply=2]Feeble attempt? The Syclone, and it's Jimmy based counterpart called the Typhoon, are cult classics. There was nothing feeble about a sub-five second 0-60 sprint in the early 1990s. The SyTy trucks could embarrass quite a few sports cars of the same vintage, including the Ferrari 348. (Though that was far from Ferrari's best effort)

Oh boy..........where to start........BMI, I can tell you really know your Syclones ! ( and I had already forgotten about the Typhoon )

I'm not sure, but I think they sold about three of them. ( I have been known to "take liberty" with numbers..........)

Off by a factor of 1000. Plus about 4700 Typhoons. I don't think I ever heard that, but it's still a pretty feeble attempt to sell "units"; an outfit the size of GM needs to move a few hundred K of anything, just to break even ! 4,700 units is a mere drop in the bucket !

a HUGE price tag

The sticker price of a 1991 Syclone was $25,500 (low to mid $40k range now) and the 1992 Typhoon was $29,970. (about $45-50k in 2010 dollars) My point exactly !

That I did know, in "the day", but I had forgotten the numbers long time ago. Mostly, I was just wondering if anyone really had ever heard of the Syclone; ( and I STILL think it's a dumb name ! ) ( and a dumb idea ) car companies are supposed to build things people NEED, and will BUY............otherwise, they lose BIG BUCKS.

While we're at it.............how about that other genius product GM tried to foist off on the public.......the famous .............. Cadillac Allante; remember those suckers ? they REALLY went away !

A true story the public never heard much about...............................

The thing was cute, but the ridiculous sticker price put it out of business before it ever started; Plus..........GM was sooooo very "fussy" about these things, Anchor Motor Freight had to design and have built a "special" enclosed trailer to haul them to California in; problem being, the "design" ( like many things Anchor was involved in ) was "stoopid" thing had 4 great big wheels on the back, instead of 8 regular sized ones; this ended up causing a BIG problem; they didn't get proper air flow going down the road, got hot, and about 8 of them caught on fire, and burned to the ground / road, burning up all the Allante's inside ! Costing AMF a few mil......

Then, there was another even bigger problem, but this one was GM's fault; turns out, the Allante had a wiring fault; it didn't show up in all of them, only two going down I-94 on the way to Ca. both of which caught on fire and two more loads of Allante's burned up ! but that still isn't the "best one"; that happened to one that did make it to California; got to this HUGE Cadilac dealer in ( I forget the City, but it was the biggest show room in Ca. at the time ) Anyway, the Allante, being the big "star", is sitting on this big turntable, where it revolved around, in the middle of about 4 or 5 dozen more new Cadilacs; then, in the wee hrs of the AM, the wiring fault in the Allante starts a fire, and the whole place burned to the ground, with all those new Cadilacs ! That one is probably STILL in court !

So, looking at it from that prospective, I guess you could say that the Allante was even worse than the Syclone !

But I still forgot my main point.........I was trying to show how completely ridiculous it was for "Bubba" to buy one of the things.................

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 7):
Hard as it is to believe, that was the format used by MX for initial ground school when training pilots from the 727 to their brand new A320s. They were still being used in ´94, although I recall the Captain who showed me the thing saying "itw as a bit old but did its job"

Sure you're not thinking of the LaserDisc?
It's easy to get those two confused.
The CED went on the market in 1981 and died in 1986.
I don't think there were any instructional VideoDisc other than Jane Fonda Aerobics workout disc.

Quoting geezer (Reply 8):
Quadraphonic ? I must confess......I had totally forgotten about it......but I did hear about it when it first came out.

It was a great idea but very expensive.
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 9):
Sure you're not thinking of the LaserDisc?
It's easy to get those two confused.

It looks the same to me. But, judging by the dates you mention then it probably was a LaserDisc, since I distinctly remember MX using it for the purpose I mentioned, and their first A320s did not show up until 1992 I believe.

My father was a big fan of the Quadraphonic system, by the way.

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:03 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 10):
It looks the same to me. But, judging by the dates you mention then it probably was a LaserDisc, since I distinctly remember MX using it for the purpose I mentioned, and their first A320s did not show up until 1992 I believe.

I can totally understand the confusion. They are the same exact size and when a VideoDisc is taken out of it's plastic case, it can look just like a LasDisc under the right lighting. They both have a clean reflective surface with a slight rainbow appearance. The VideoDisc have small grooves like an LP record and is darker in color than a LaserDisc.
MX was probably using one of these;

The first generation LaserDisc appeared in the movie Airport 1977.
Like MX, it was used as a demonstration disc. In the movie, it was describing all of the features of Stevens Corporation's private 747-100.
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 11):
MX was probably using one of these;

You are right. That´s exactly what they looked like, and it was a station right? This was in MX´s training center at MEX and your pic above was what they had, each in a cubicle for individual pilots to play with. Was it interactive too? Because I remember the Captain who showed us around saying that MX was experimenting with it too as they needed less teachers and that this system "allowed each pilot to go at their own rythm" Within a certain time-frame, I suppose.

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 12):
That´s exactly what they looked like, and it was a station right?

There may have been some sold as a station but they were mostly an individual component, just like a VCR, compact disc player, cassette deck, betamax and DVD

Quoting AR385 (Reply 12):
Was it interactive too?

Yes they were.

Sounds like you were using LaserDisc. They were still very much a modern, state-of-the-art thing to have up until the early 2000s when the DVD became popular. The first LaserDisc came out in 1978 but were extremely expensive. It wasn't until 1990 when they started making players that could also play audio compact disc when the format finally took off. It never reached the level of VHS and DVD due to the fact that LaserDisc movies were also expensive - ranging from $40 up to $300 for letterbox edition movies that were over 2 hours and had directors cut.
I pick them up now for $1 - $5.

It's possible that MX was using older LaserDisc players for your A320 demonstration disc. I'd LOVE to get my hands on a LaserDisc demonstration disc for the A340, MD-11 and 747-300 and 400.  
There may even be one for the Bae146 / Avro85.
Those MX LaserDisc you speak probably sell for a fortune on Ebay today.
In fact, those aircraft demo disc probably sell for more money than the letterbox editions of Star Wars and Pulp Fiction. Those movies cost well over $100 when new if they had director's cuts.
Bring back the Concorde

AR385

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Those MX LaserDisc you speak probably sell for a fortune on Ebay today.
In fact, those aircraft demo disc probably sell for more money than the letterbox editions of Star Wars and Pulp Fiction. Those movies cost well over $100 when new if they had director's cuts.

Wow. Great to learn something new everyday. Although If they were worth something, they´d probably disappeared by now.

BMI727

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Oh boy..........where to start........BMI, I can tell you really know your Syclones ! ( and I had already forgotten about the Typhoon )

The internet is a wonderful thing. And those things are fast by today's standards, to say nothing of the early 1990s. This was back in the days when a standard Corvette had 240 horsepower and ran to 60 in the low six second range.

I don't think I ever heard that, but it's still a pretty feeble attempt to sell "units"; an outfit the size of GM needs to move a few hundred K of anything, just to break even ! 4,700 units is a mere drop in the bucket !

Those are special edition performance models, what do you expect? And it isn't as if they were pouring a ton of money into developing and building these things either, considering they were built along the standard models. It's actually a pretty large production run for a special model. To put that in perspective, Chevrolet sold about 22,000 Corvettes in 1991 with a sticker price starting at $33,000.

My point exactly !

The price wasn't that high for what they got, considering a GMC could embarrass cars that cost two or three times as much on the dragstrip. Plus, how many people these days gladly fork over $40-50k for their Raptor, H-D Edition, King Ranch, Laramie, and Denali trim level pickups?

Cadillac Allante; remember those suckers ?

The really sad part is that as bad as the Allante was, it wasn't even the worst Cadillac ever.

Then, there was another even bigger problem, but this one was GM's fault; turns out, the Allante had a wiring fault; it didn't show up in all of them, only two going down I-94 on the way to Ca. both of which caught on fire and two more loads of Allante's burned up !

That is just part of Cadillac's plan to become a viable alternative to Ferrari.

So, looking at it from that prospective, I guess you could say that the Allante was even worse than the Syclone !

By a mile. The Allante was just bad on pretty much every level. The Syclone is a cult favorite.

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Several categories of women:

Strumpets.

Harlots.

Hussies.

Broads.

Dames.

In no way do I mean this in a sexist way.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 15):
Cadillac Allante; remember those suckers ?

The really sad part is that as bad as the Allante was, it wasn't even the worst Cadillac ever.

Those were neat little cars. The were flown over in Alitalia 747s.
They also had the dubious distinction as the world's most expensive production line front-drive car.
$65,000 in 1987!

Bring back the Concorde

BMI727

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Those were neat little cars.

...unless you happened to have a BMW, Jaguar or Mercedes-Benz dealer anywhere nearby. Even Porsche if you were a bit more hardcore.

Superfly

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
...unless you happened to have a BMW, Jaguar or Mercedes-Benz dealer anywhere nearby. Even Porsche if you were a bit more hardcore.

Nah everybody had those. Too cliché.   
The Allante had the coolest looking dashboard/instrument panel.
One of the few cars with a cassette deck that opened like a home cassette deck.
Bring back the Concorde

NoWorries

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Anyone who ever wrote a program in the "good old days" most typically used these:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Punched_card.jpg

simonriat

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi all

Firstly a question.

The SUV picture (posted by Zippyjet). Is that a Pontiac? I personally really like it. But then again when ever I'm in the States I like the Dodge Grand Caravan (what can I say I have 3 kids), come to think of it I also like the Dodge Charger so what do I know.

Also way of the dodo. Delorean loved those cars.

zippyjet

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting simonriat (Reply 21):
The SUV picture (posted by Zippyjet). Is that a Pontiac? I personally really like it. But then again when ever I'm in the States I like the Dodge Grand Caravan (what can I say I have 3 kids), come to think of it I also like the Dodge Charger so what do I know.

Also way of the dodo. Delorean loved those cars.

It was the Pontiac Aztec which generally got panned by the public.

To me it looked like an AMC Hornet wagon which I never cared for. That thing drove and handled like crap even when it was new!

dc9northwest

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 22):
It was the Pontiac Aztec which generally got panned by the public

Also, it has gotten the reputation of being used by mild-mannered high school chemistry teachers turned drug manufacturers, which is never good for sales.

Things that have gone away: Bachmann. Praise the Lord.

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Fingerboxes, sure miss them. Boy do I feel old  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Superfly

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:00 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 24):

Where do you stick your finger these days?  
Quoting NoWorries (Reply 20):
Anyone who ever wrote a program in the "good old days" most typically used these:

Those damned punched cards allowed George W Bush to steal an election and become President.  
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:36 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 24):

Where do you stick your finger these days?  

Got a few good answers but I'd definitely get banned  
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

Geezer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 am

Finger box ? No way am I gonna stick my finger into a box that ..........................................

Oh.......just remembered: How about the fabulous Metropolitan ? ! I bough one; absolutely adored the thing ! The problem was........it was already worn out ! I was hauling gasoline at the time for Texaco; we had this other driver, a guy named George Hendrix..........one of the nicest guys I have ever known or worked with; anyway, George was a very good mechanic; always turning something into something else........he had this 1959 Olds 98 that he bought for "pennies" with no motor in it.......ended up putting a small diesel engine out of a small delivery truck in it.......had a standard trans out of an old Packard, and the thing got like 30 MPG ! He loved the thing, always drove it to work; but it had two problems........one, George was the only one who could ever get it started; had a HUGE battery out of a big crane; ( thing weighed like 200 lbs, but he got it free ) Every day when he came to work, he had to put this big "pot torch" under it, light it, and it kept the oil warm so he could start it. ( Drivers from other companies would come into load, look out in the parking lot from the top of the loading rack, see this car in the lot with an "orange glow" under it, and say...."holy cow, there's a car out in the parking lot that's on fire" ! ) Thing never did catch on fire though, which is more than I can say for the loading rack; it DID catch on fire, burned up 6 tank trucks, and about 3 or 4 hundred thousand gallons of gasoline, and ALMOST Charley !

Anyway, I was talking to George about my worn out Metropolitan, that I was considering if I could afford to overhaul the motor; ( George always had a way to do anything ) He said, "Guess what.......International made this small delivery truck a few years back, the thing never "went over" that well, but it also used the same motor that was in the Metropolitan; and as it happened, at the time, Texaco was getting all their mx done on our trucks by the International Garage, ( which we passed right by on every trip we took. ) So we stopped at International, found out that they carried all the parts for this small engine, and that I could get them at dealers cost ! ( they were happy to get rid of them, because there was no market for them; ) So..........I bought new main bearing inserts, valves, valve guides, gaskets, the whole works, and me and George tore the thing apart, cleaned it all up, put everything in, got it all back together, ..................and for some reason, ( I know this sounds dumb, but i can't remember now why I never got the thing back into the Metropolitan ) Anyway, the rebuilt motor ended up under a work bench in my garage, ( which was in my basement ), and that's where it stayed, from about 1960's , till about 2 months ago ! I moved out of the house 10 yrs ago, came to Indiana, been here ever since. About 3 months ago, my "ex" decided to sell the house ! I had very little time to move anything; ( and I had a LOT of "stuff" that needed moving !

I hooked up my 22 ft tilt deck to my Dodge Ram, went over, loaded up the trailer with anything that's metal, hauled it all to a scrap yard, ( 3 trips ) On each trip I actually sold about 10,000 lbs of scrap iron; Got a BUNCH of $$$$

On the last trip, I was unloading the scrap, and I came to that re-built motor.........I looked at it, ( and it "seemed" to look at me ), and I didn't have the heart to throw it on the scrap pile; left it on the trailer, brought it 200 miles back to Indiana, and the thing is now out in my shop, ( right in my way ) I guess I'll stick an add on eBay, see if anyone wants a "deal" on a re-built Metropolitan motor.

If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears..................

Charley

zippyjet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
Those damned punched cards allowed George W Bush to steal an election and become President

And did we all pay for that one! Eight years of misery which still keep on giving!

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 23):
Things that have gone away: Bachmann. Praise the Lord.

1 fool down though she was sort of cute and three or four more to go:
Dr. Evil Ron Paul
Newty Gingrich
Rick "I'm stupider than Zippy's short bus kitties" Perry

Sadly Pontiac and Oldsmobile in spite of the Fugly Aztek. The two divisions of the General that at least had some originality. Buick only stayed for all those old crones with$$$ and China's love for mediocrity.   

LOST: A quirky but cool show that ended at the right time.

Cold Case: One of the best of the Jerry Brukheimer proceedural shows.   

Type-Rated

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:03 am

What ever happened to the Metropolitan itself?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

zippyjet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:39 am

I believe "Office Clippy" has gone the way of an honest politician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK_U6...amp;feature=player_detailpage#t=1s

Timm Gunn's overplayed Expedia commercial featuring "Make It Work," "Oooh see what Anandra did?"
BTW Anandra looked like a cross between a male giraffe and an anorexic drag queen. On CNN's airport network that commerical was on a minimum of 10 times per hour until about 2 weeks ago.

2707200X

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
The proper way to listen to quad was with these sophisticated systems.

My dad used to have something just like that in the form of a record player that doubled as a radio from Pioneer. I used to always adjust the bass and the treble when playing the LPs.

Things that I can't find anymore in regular stores include large 18", "single neck" table fans, tires in the middle of the membership store, when I was young I always enjoyed smelling the tires, and cool Ertl toys that where inexpensive.

The stores I miss include The Price Club, Gemco, Builder's Emporium and used book stores like Acres of Books in LB and a used book store in Anaheim, tones of big aviation books!
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

Superfly

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 am

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 31):
My dad used to have something just like that in the form of a record player that doubled as a radio from Pioneer. I used to always adjust the bass and the treble when playing the LPs.

I remember those integrated stereo systems. Turntable/record changer on top of AM/FM tuner with 8track player on the front and cassette deck mounted next to the turntable on top. Some even had an axillary input. I had a Soundesign system in college and I used the axillary input for the compact disc player.

Quoting 2707200X (Reply 31):
when I was young I always enjoyed smelling the tires,

LOL!
Me too!  
I also liked the smell of gasoline. Riding to the gas station was always a treat. I still like the smell of diesel. I wonder if I've destroyed a lot of brain cells.
Bring back the Concorde

zippyjet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 32):
I remember those integrated stereo systems. Turntable/record changer on top of AM/FM tuner with 8track player on the front and cassette deck mounted next to the turntable on top. Some even had an axillary input. I had a Soundesign system in college and I used the axillary input for the compact disc player.

The Marantz equipment from the mid 70's was top flight. As a matter of fact there are many sites on the Internet where they specialize in repairing, restoring and cleaning Marantz receivers, pre amps tuners int amps. One of them even installs LED lights to replace the standard lights. I have a 1975 Marantz 2250 receiver in my closet that needs TLC, the on off button is gone, it was a semi victim when my apartment flooded 6 years ago, when I get to it $$$ wise I want to ship it off and get her brought back to her out of the box quality performance and glory. It was not a quad unit but I remember seeing Marantz units like yours in the store. Quad was just coming out and I bet your Quad rig could probably do a home theatre some justice.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
Nah everybody had those. Too cliché.
The Allante had the coolest looking dashboard/instrument panel.
One of the few cars with a cassette deck that opened like a home cassette deck.

The Caddy Allante and the Buick Riata (both out at the same time) were lookers. It's a shame they never took off sales wise.

Superfly

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 33):
As a matter of fact there are many sites on the Internet where they specialize in repairing, restoring and cleaning Marantz receivers, pre amps tuners int amps.

I know a place in Pleasant Hill, Ca that repairs them. I had them replace the belts and lights to my Technics quadraphonic 8track player/recorder just last year.

Here is a website with a lot of the vintage audio gear.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

I bet your Quad rig could probably do a home theatre some justice.

Yes it does!   
When I was in San Francisco, I had my DVD, S-VHS, CED VIdeoDisc and LaserDisc running through my Marantz.
I surprised that new movies on DVD in 5.1 surround is decoded with the 38 year old SQ quadraphonic decoding.
SQ quadraphonic was developed by Sony and quadraphonic records on Colombia/CBS, A&M records use the SQ decoding system. 2 years ago I was watching the DVD of the movies of 'What Lies Beneath' and the 'Zodiac Killer' and it was in full surround sound. Same for the movie Towering Inferno which was encoded with quadraphonic sound.

The Caddy Allante and the Buick Riata (both out at the same time) were lookers. It's a shame they never took off sales wise.

I agree. Too bad they were front-drive.
Bring back the Concorde

zippyjet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
Yes it does!
When I was in San Francisco, I had my DVD, S-VHS, CED VIdeoDisc and LaserDisc running through my Marantz.
I surprised that new movies on DVD in 5.1 surround is decoded with the 38 year old SQ quadraphonic decoding.

How come Quad didn't catch on? If nothing else, the manufacters could have lowered the prices. Sometimes thats all it takes for something to catch on...word of mouth and others experiencing the new technology. This was the era where imports (albums) were taking off, headphone technology started making strides. Remember the electrostatic headphones?
Some of them had a kick ass sound. I had a pair but, the jack/unit and the prongs on the headphones output damaged eaisly. Due to space and budget issues I never was able to get into quad. My first cousin back in the day opted not for quad but McIntosh receiver, Nachamichi Casette Tape Deck, Dalquist speakers all type flight. Easy to be blown away. BTW, he still has the Mac!

Also during the era quad came out, there was a large faction of the audiophile world that were getting into seperates: Pre Amp, Power Amp and top flight tuner. Though one didn't get the quad experience the sounds from the high end stuff was amazing. Many to this day feel the Marantz receivers/amps of the mid 70's put the current stuff to shame. I would happen to agree. Thanks for the link for the vintage audio equipment site.

Superfly

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 35):
How come Quad didn't catch on?

3 different decoding systems that were not compatible. It did catch on 25 years later with surround sound for video.
No one really had home video in the 1970s except the very wealth that could afford a VCR or 16mm film for stag films.  
The 3 different decoding systems for LP was Command quad, SQ quad and CD-4 discret quad.
Very few systems had all 3 and as you can see from the photo of the Marantz, even with Marantz you had to buy an extra decoder for the CD-4 discret quad. The decoding system depended on the record label.
So if you wanted to buy quadraphonic LPs of Steely Dan who was on ABC records which used Command quad, Santana who was on Columbia records that used SQ quad and Black Sabbath who was on Warner Brothers that used CD-4 quad, you needed to have a system of all three. Also with CD-4, you had to have a phono cartridge with special nude tip shibata stylus that could penetrate the groove at the correct angle and cartridge had to be able to track at least 35,000Hz carrier frequency. That would exceed $1000 in 1970s dollars for a mid-level stereo system. If you wanted a Marantz with all 3, you were looking at a $2000 system in 1974.
The sad thing is that none of the 3 decoding systems for LP worked well.
BTW have I confused any of you with this so far? Imagine what the stereo shop salesman in the plaid suit and wide necktie had to go through to sale this format.
Buyers were often given free quad LPs of Ray Conniff, Dick Hyman and Enoch Light and the Brass Menagerie to sweeten the deal.  

Quad 8track and reel-to-reel had the best separation. 8track tape has it's limitations with tape hiss, no back queing, not the best sound quality and were not comparable with stereo 8track players.

Quad reel-to-reel was the best way to listen to quad. It has the high fidelity of open reel tape that plays at 7 & 1/2 speed and perfect separation. The problem was that quad reel-to-reel decks cost over $2000 and only 134 albums were released on quad reel. Half of them were classical.
That is why quad never caught out.
Luckily by the 1990s, I was able to buy those old components for as low as $20s in thrift shops and yard sales.  
The 1990s was the sweet spot because it was before ebay and just before Al Gore invented the Internet. Now those components cost just as much as they did back in the 1970s.

Today the quad records aren't worth as much but the quad 8tracks and reel-to-reel tapes can cost a fortune. I was able to sale a Dolly Parton quad 8track for $175 2 years ago.
I splurged and treated myself to a 7 & 1/2 speed quadraphonic reel-to-reel tape of The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed on ebay for only $92.
I've never seen that sale for that cheap. It's usually $150.
In 1972, that tape cost $15 brand new.
(yes I know its a 1967 release but re-issued in quad in 1972)

My first cousin back in the day opted not for quad but McIntosh receiver

Those are nice!
Luckily my Marantz has a front and rear pre-amp line out. When I grow up to be a rich man, I want to buy 2 McIntosh vacuum tube amps for front and rear to get the sweetest analog audio experience.  
It will be a far out experience.
I think my head would explode!  Wow!
Bring back the Concorde

Geezer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:58 am

[quote=type-rated,reply=29]What ever happened to the Metropolitan itself?

I was afraid someone would ask that !

You know, I have been thinking about that; I used to be gone on the road a lot back in those days, and every now and then, when I got back home, I would notice certain things were "missing"; I had an Austin America once that was "missing in "in-action" once, found out later she had given it to her nephew; (never saw it again) Had a really nice Dunphy 16 ft molded mahogany boat that I had sold the 75 horse Evenrude off of.........she gave it to a couple of "hill-billies" that stopped by; but I'm still wracking my brain trying to remember where the Metropolitan went; years later, I was out on the road someplace, and I started seeing all these brand-new looking restored Metropolitans going the other way on the Interstate; found out there was a big Metro-Club car show someplace; damn, I sure would liked to have had a restored one......I always liked that thing.

I bought an El Dorado once from this guy who was a gambler, when I went to look at it, the guy was watching about 6 games at one time on 6 TV's in his living room......never saw anything like that before, and thought it was kinda strange; a few day later, I was rummaging around under the seat and found a loaded S&W 357 wrapped up in a rag ! I thought about keeping the thing, thought better, took it back to the guy, this time he had about 10 TV's going, all with games !
When I gave him the "piece" he just casually says, oh yeah, I was wondering what I had done with it.........like nothing ever happened ! ( You sure meet some strange people now and then ! )

Charley

Superfly

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:16 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 37):
I bought an El Dorado once from this guy who was a gambler, when I went to look at it, the guy was watching about 6 games at one time on 6 TV's in his living room......never saw anything like that before,

Was his name Elvis?

Quoting geezer (Reply 37):
I was rummaging around under the seat and found a loaded S&W 357 wrapped up in a rag !

Wow . Just imagine if you were pulled over and a police officer found that.
Or even worse, if one of your grandchildren had found it and started playing with it.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:17 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
They also had the dubious distinction as the world's most expensive production line front-drive car.
$65,000 in 1987!

Not according to Wikipedia, list in 87 was $54,700, it looks like the most expensive model was in 92 at $64,090 with hardtop. It's probably one of the few US built cars that I actually like. GM managed to shift 21,000 in 7 years.

simonriat

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:38 am

Thanks Zippyjet, well they certainly revamped it becuase wow that first picture is totally different to the second.

On a car theme again. Ford GT have they gone the way of the dodo?

Wimpy burgers.

Cassette walkmans. Cant even remember the last time I saw one. Oh do I remember on a Sunday evening trying to tape the top ten from the radio and always trying to stop it before the radio guy/ girl kicked in.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:23 am

The cheque book, I hope to never see one again.

BMI727

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:33 am

Quoting simonriat (Reply 40):
On a car theme again. Ford GT have they gone the way of the dodo?

Production ended in 2006 with 4000 or so built.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 28):
Sadly Pontiac and Oldsmobile in spite of the Fugly Aztek. The two divisions of the General that at least had some originality. Buick only stayed for all those old crones with$$$ and China's love for mediocrity

Pontiac was just starting to get it right with the Solstice, G8, and GTO when GM pulled the plug. Those front drive, V8 cars are still a stain on the marque though. And all of those wrinkly Grand-Ams that litter high school parking lots.

zippyjet

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 am

Tube color TV's that had the fishbowl shaped screen called "Roundies." They were the state of the art in the early to mid 1960's. By 1968 the only company that still made them was Philco. I always liked the look of them. I was in the Cub Scouts and the "Den" I was in was held at this quite well to do home. In their den they had a Zenith "Roundie" I remember watching Flipper in living color. Back then if you owned a "Roundie Color TV" you were either quite well off or had a decent line of credit. I wish someone would restore them but make them high definition.

MadameConcorde

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:38 am

SS France (Hong Kong 1974)

RIP  

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 (leaving Monaco)

Concorde

Space Shuttles

Bring me a time machine so I can go back in time...

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

4holer

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Paris Hilton
Hummer H1/H2
Kabbalah
W
ADG (A.net old timers will know...)
Eminem
Mann's Hockey Stick
Joe Paterno
My next door neighbor's crotch rocket motorcycle that he would rev waaay up @ 4:30 every morning in his driveway...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

ER757

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:51 pm

How come Quad didn't catch on?

Stereo just makes more sense. We have two ears, so right and left channels are just natural. If you go to a concert, the music's usually coming from in front of you. With Quad, you had two front and two rear channels. Your ears face forward, so when part of the music came from behind it was un-natural. There were several quad formats, some were "ambient" and not true four channel - if my feeble memory serves me well, the "real" quad format was called Discrete. A friend of mine has a set up in that format and it did sound great, but again, the extra channels were just not necessary and there was no sense spending all that money for two extra speakers, a new receiver a fancy turntable and all that stuff.

Quoting NoWorries (Reply 20):

Oh yeah, we used to punch them out to spell things - they fit perfectly into the windows on the bowling alley's "tele-score" machine so you could display the sayings on the screen where the scores normally appeared.

Superfly

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 46):
With Quad, you had two front and two rear channels. Your ears face forward, so when part of the music came from behind it was un-natural.

But dude it's the 70s man, everyone was spaced out and experimenting with various substances.  
Quadraphonic sound was perfect for that.

There were several quad formats, some were "ambient" and not true four channel - if my feeble memory serves me well, the "real" quad format was called Discrete.

The LP formats didn't work well so yes the rear channels were just ambient with an occasional signal that would bounce to the rear speakers. The SQ system was the worst and unfortunately the most common. Many consumers felt swindled with that system.
The best way to listen to true four-channel quad was on 8track or reel to reel.
Serious audiophiles never took the 8track format seriously although the first generation 8tracks (1964-1969) were close to audiophile quality. By 1969, they went to cheap mass production all the way through the 1980s but the formats saving grace was the quadraphonic releases that all had true four channel sound.
Quad reel to reel was and still is very expensive with very few titles released.
When you do hear it, the sound is amazing!

the extra channels were just not necessary and there was no sense spending all that money for two extra speakers, a new receiver a fancy turntable and all that stuff.

That depends. Remember a lot of bands from that era were large. Bands like Santana, The Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire and Ohio Players were 8 - 9 member bands and often times had extra session artist. Some songs had over 20 performers on them. The extra channels allowed you to hear more of the instruments clearly because the mix was down to 4 channels instead of only 2 where its easier for some instruments to get buried in the mix.
So there is an improved fidelity with quad.
That's cool that you remember and are aware of quadraphonic sound.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 47):
But dude it's the 70s man, everyone was spaced out and experimenting with various substances.
Quadraphonic sound was perfect for that.

Aren't you getting your 70's confused with the 60's.

Superfly

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 48):
Aren't you getting your 70's confused with the 60's.

Not at all.
A lot of that stuff people associate with the 60s was only the last 3 years of that decade and it spilled well in to the 70s.
Most of the 60s was very much like the 50s and very conservative.
Bring back the Concorde