stasisLAX
Topic Author

Is This The New Chevy Chevelle? Code 130R Concept

Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:09 am

Chevrolet Code 130R is the hot talk of the 2012 Detroit Auto Show. This car is somewhat of a mystery. It is highly finished and detailed for a so-called concept vehicle. GM marketers see a gap in its current model lineup for buyers who can't afford the price or insurance cost of a Camaro - but want something sportier than a Sonic or even a Cruze. Chevy clearly needs something to compete with the Scion FR-S and Tc, Kia Forte Coupe, and the new Hyundai Veloster. Positive responses from young people (age 18 to 35) to this Code 130R concept could be enough to push GM into actually building it in mass production. Bottom line: could this concept be the new Chevy Chevelle? Official exterior photos from GM are below.

Chevrolet C130R concept

The C130R concept is powered by a 140 horsepower 1.4-liter Ecotec turbocharged four cylinder motor. This motor is currently deployed in the top of the line Chevy Sonic and Chevy Cruze models, but with the C130R, the engine powers the rear wheels. Yep, it's a rear wheel drive four-seat coupe. Estimated curb weight would be 3,000 pounds, The C130R is based on the same rear-wheel-drive platform (called the Alpha platform) as the brand-new Cadillac ATS, but should be base sticker priced from approximately $19,000 to $20,000 USD. The Cadillac ATS needs a high-volume companion vehicle to gain economy of scale in production, and this "Chevelle" (or "Laguna", perhaps) could be their ticket to reaching that goal.

Whether or not Chevy truly needs another sporty coupe other than the Camaro (although the Camaro carries a $24,500 base price) is yet another story, but I must admit that this concept looks very, very nice to me - in a slightly retro-kinda way. Your thought, fellow motorheads?

Chevrolet C130R concept

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac...wn-production-chevy-code-130r.html

[Edited 2012-01-13 19:22:27]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

TSS

RE: Is This The New Chevy Chevelle? Code 130R Concept

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:12 am

Not bad. I don't like the forward-swept "B" pillars, nor do I like the tall, flat butt with tiny tail lights that seems to be on it's way to becoming a Chevrolet trademark, but the rest of it is okay looking.

I'll also cast my vote for "Laguna" as the official name over "Chevelle".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

zippyjet

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 1):
I'll also cast my vote for "Laguna" as the official name over "Chevelle".

Coming out of left field I could imagine this Chevy being named the Del Ray or even revive the Bel Air
marque. Since this would be a rear driver, could an El Camino be a spinoff?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

BMI727

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Thread starter):
Chevrolet Code 130R is the hot talk of the 2012 Detroit Auto Show.

Not in the good way. Go back to the drawing board with this one. If the new Camaro is a re-imagining of the old Camaro, this thing looks like a re-imagining of the Celebrity. And this is the better looking of the two concepts.

GM marketers see a gap in its current model lineup for buyers who can't afford the price or insurance cost of a Camaro - but want something sportier than a Sonic or even a Cruze. Chevy clearly needs something to compete with the Scion FR-S and Tc, Kia Forte Coupe, and the new Hyundai Veloster.

What GM needs is a good looking, light, rear wheel drive, reasonably efficient roadster and coupe that is fun to drive and reasonably priced...oh, wait.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

zippyjet

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
Not in the good way. Go back to the drawing board with this one. If the new Camaro is a re-imagining of the old Camaro, this thing looks like a re-imagining of the Celebrity. And this is the better looking of the two concepts.

It's not bad looking but nothing special. The first picture reminds me of a 2 door Plymouth or Dodge Neon.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
What GM needs is a good looking, light, rear wheel drive, reasonably efficient roadster and coupe that is fun to drive and reasonably priced...oh, wait.

But, the only issue with a roadster is the possibility of being gouged by the Insurance companies. Two seater/roadster size fun to drive cars are prime juicy bait for Insurance companies to lord on the pricey premiums.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 2):
Since this would be a rear driver, could an El Camino be a spinoff?

What GM should do is send the Holden Commodore Ute (with the V-8 of course) here, and sell it as a Chevy El Camino - I mean, why not? GM is importing the Caprice PPV "cop car"? There's got to me some empty space on the cargo ship for some Utes, right??  
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

zippyjet

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:18 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 5):
hat GM should do is send the Holden Commodore Ute (with the V-8 of course) here, and sell it as a Chevy El Camino - I mean, why not? GM is importing the Caprice PPV "cop car"? There's got to me some empty space on the cargo ship for some Utes, right??

You better believe it! And Chevy would re-enter the redneck, red state My Name Is Earl market! Who knows if that happens look out for a redneck Ford Raunchero!   

BTW here's a picture of a 2 Door Mopar Neon. The Chevy concept and this defunct Mopar look similar.

TSS

Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:55 am

Coming out of left field I could imagine this Chevy being named the Del Ray or even revive the Bel Air marque.

The Bel Air and Delray lines were full-size cars with little if any pretense of being "sporty" or "performance-oriented", so neither name would be appropriate to this car's intended market segment.

The Chevrolet Laguna, however, was a sporty (by mid-1970s standards) option package available on Chevelles... sort of the Chevrolet equivalent of Pontiac's original Grand Am.
http://blog.al.com/engine-block/2009/09/BB%20Laguna%20S3.jpg

Since this would be a rear driver, could an El Camino be a spinoff?

I'm not sure there's a market for such a vehicle in the US, but the Dodge Neon Coupe-style forward-slanting "B" pillars would certainly lend themselves easily to that body style.

ACDC8

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:57 am

While I'm all for RWD cars, will people looking at Scion, Kia, Hyundai, Honda actually be willing to go RWD?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 am

but want something sportier than a Sonic or even a Cruze. Chevy clearly needs something to compete with the Scion FR-S and Tc, Kia Forte Coupe, and the new Hyundai Veloster.

Really the only competition lies somewhere between the Forte Koup and the Tiburon. The TC is a joke of a car since no one can take it seriously other than the 16-19 demographic of HS girls and the Veloster is as good as dead in the USA with 3 doors. The avg. joe is about as forgiving of such brilliant ideas as 2/1 door as he is about wagons in this country. This situation that GM is in sort of reminds me of Honda (albeit they have nothing on the larger scale) where you discontinue a 2 person sport coupe and have really nothing exciting in a 2 or a 4 door version to replace it with.

Quoting TSS (Reply 7):
I'm not sure there's a market for such a vehicle in the US, but the Dodge Neon Coupe-style forward-slanting "B" pillars would certainly lend themselves easily to that body style.

Run a survey at your local taqueria and you will be surprised...

zippyjet

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:04 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 8):
While I'm all for RWD cars, will people looking at Scion, Kia, Hyundai, Honda actually be willing to go RWD?

It it's priced right, gets rave reviews and reliability they will come.

MD-90

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:50 am

Does the body shape remind anyone else of a 1-Series coupe?

flanker

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:49 am

Looks like shit!!!!! When are these people going to learn how to design cars? Looks like something taken out of the movie Cars.. so pathetic.
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

BMI727

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 8):

They will if they're smart.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 11):
Does the body shape remind anyone else of a 1-Series coupe?

A little bit, at least a rather poorly styled one.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 pm

cough cough BMW 1 series coupe cough

http://www.autospecifications.org/car-reviews/wp-content/uploads/bmw-1-series-coupe-2.jpg

corey07850

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Looks ok but please don't ruin the Chevelle name!

TSS

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 14):
cough cough BMW 1 series coupe cough

cough cough '65-'66 Chrysler cough cough
http://pics.livejournal.com/mckitterick/pic/00032p81

srbmod

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 5):

What GM should do is send the Holden Commodore Ute (with the V-8 of course) here, and sell it as a Chevy El Camino - I mean, why not? GM is importing the Caprice PPV "cop car"? There's got to me some empty space on the cargo ship for some Utes, right??

Back before they killed off Pontiac, they were supposed to send it to the US as the Pontiac G8 ST for the 2010 model year. They should have stuck with bringing it to the US and sold it as an El Camino, as Chevy really made a mistake with the SSR several years earlier (which was more of a high-end "truck" than a modern El Camino).

Why not resurrect the Nova name? To me, this concept reminds me of the 1968-74 Nova. Just as the first generation Camaro was the design inspiration for the current Camaro, I see a bit of the third generation Nova in this concept.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 16):

I don't believe coupés can have 4 doors, calling a 4 door a coupé is just marketing BS.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):
Why not resurrect the Nova name?

Because Chevy ruined the sporty image of the Nova with the Corolla based subcompact they built in the Fremont NUMMI plant with Toyota in the mid to late 1980s - and then renamed the Nova the Geo Prizm when GM started the generally awful Geo brand (remember Chevy-Geo dealerships?). Name is too tarnished, in my opinion. But Chrysler/Fiat just brought back the Dodge Dart, so who knows? I'd like to see the Code 130-R named the Chevelle (but some younger buyers might confuse Chevelle with "Chevette") or,even better, the Laguna.... if GM decides to build it at all.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 19):

I didn't say this!

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):
I didn't say this!

Sorry, A.net technical issues once again?

ACDC8

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 10):

It it's priced right, gets rave reviews and reliability they will come.

I don't know, too many people I know have a fear of RWD come winter (and yes, I have read the RWD vs. FWD threads on here). Not saying its a big deal, but for the general public, it may be. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. Personally, I could see this being more of a spin off of the Cadillac ATS and going against other small RWD cars, but then not under the Chevy badge and not against small FWD cars, but like I said, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 13):
They will if they're smart.

We are talking about North American's here right?  

Knowing GM, they'll brand it the Nova and in a few years time they'll redesign the headlights, grill and taillights and re-brand it the Chevelle  

Seriously, the Chevelle and Nova names are dead, let them RIP they've had a great run, no point in resurecting a name that has little to do with a new car. Unless this car can be heavilly moded and go up against Camaros and Mustangs, leave it be.

The same goes for Chrysler with the Dart and Charger. Charger's were always a big ass 2 door coupe, don't know what a 4 door sedan has to do with that heritage like the current model.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

TSS

Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 18):
Quoting TSS (Reply 16):

I don't believe coupés can have 4 doors, calling a 4 door a coupé is just marketing BS.

As proof of how both the Chevrolet Code 130R concept and the BMW 1-Series coupe have the same side styling as '65-'66 Chryslers (on much, much shorter chassis, of course), perhaps this is a better example-

bohica

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:06 am

I think I got it...Chevy Vega  

zippyjet

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 24):

I got you one better! How about the Chevy Corvair

On a serious note, what do y'all think about this RWD Chevy being the next incarnation of the Chevy Monza? Though it was on the Vega chassis, Chevy sold a lot of Monza's from 1975 to 1979. You could buy one stripped or equipped. Some models even had sporty intentions.

The Monza line back in 1976 even had a car albeit small that Superfly would have liked; maybe as a round about town small car.

stasisLAX
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 25):
On a serious note, what do y'all think about this RWD Chevy being the next incarnation of the Chevy Monza? Though it was on the Vega chassis, Chevy sold a lot of Monza's from 1975 to 1979. You could buy one stripped or equipped. Some models even had sporty intentions.

The Monza from the 70s was NEVER the true "sports coupe" it was supposed to be. It was intended to be rotary engine powered, but with the Oil Embargos during the 70s (and tighter emission standards), GM decided that the rotary engine was a no-go (not good fuel economy and tough to clean up for emissions), and killed the program. Thus, the Monza ended up with the Iron-Duke 4 cylinder engine (rough and underpowered), the Buick V-6, and later - a Chevy small-displacement V-8. None of these engines ever made the Monza (and its badge engineered sisters) a "sports coupe". By the way, that rotary engine that GM never built was supposed to be sold to American Motors to power the AMC Pacer, as well.....

Superfly

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:57 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 24):

I like that!   
Another good name would be the Nova.

I also think it would be great if there was a Holden Monaro-based Chevrolet coupe (most recent Pontiac GTO) and call it the Beretta.
The Beretta was one of the coolest names for a car but sadly it was a wimpy front-drive econobox shaped like a birth control pill.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 26):
Monza ended up with the Iron-Duke 4 cylinder engine (rough and underpowered), the Buick V-6, and later - a Chevy small-displacement V-8. None of these engines ever made the Monza (and its badge engineered sisters) a "sports coupe"

Oh but they were some sexy cars to own!   

Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm

I think the Opel Monza was a better looking car than the Chevy Monza.

PHLBOS

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 17):
Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 19):
Because Chevy ruined the sporty image of the Nova with the Corolla based subcompact they built in the Fremont NUMMI plant with Toyota in the mid to late 1980s - and then renamed the Nova the Geo Prizm when GM started the generally awful Geo brand (remember Chevy-Geo dealerships?). Name is too tarnished, in my opinion.

Instead of Nova, how about using the old Chevy II badge (which was the original '63 Nova) for the C130R?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

zippyjet

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
The Beretta was one of the coolest names for a car but sadly it was a wimpy front-drive econobox shaped like a birth control pill.

I remember driving them back in the day. One of the worst handling sloppy built vehicles.

I was thinking Chevy II.

How about Vega 21?   
Better yet, how about the Senator? I know Opel used that name but hey Congress and the President Bailed out the once mighty general. Or how about spelling Bail Out backwards and saying it's an exotic endangered species from some remote part of the world. Or reserrect the Invicta name. I know it was a Buick.ut believe it or not, I knew a girl named Invicta Spellman.

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:41 pm

That thing is every bit as ugly as the Camaro. Is the Chevrolet design department being run by clowns?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.