747400sp
Topic Author

If You Were The Captain Of The Costa Concordia?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

First off, I know that I am the worst, when it come down to being hard on this so call captain, but I wonder, if I was in his place, how would I have handle things differently. I could say that, "oh I would not have sailed in uncharted waters, and I would have stayed with the ship", but I was not in his shoes, so I can not really answer this question. Now how would you have handle this situation, if you was the captain of the Costa Concordia?

PS: I am still against the captain action, and I still he is a punk, but I just wonder how would I have handle that situation.

Tugger

RE: If You Were The Captain Of The Costa Concordia?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
Now how would you have handle this situation, if you was the captain of the Costa Concordia?

I would "accidentally" fall off the ship as it was listing and I was saving/helping some poor disabled child/passenger (when it was safe to do so of course), then swum to shore and suffered from amnesia. Permanent amnesia, mind you....

How's that?

Truth is there is no way to really answer this question. The captain was wrong in so many ways. Simply put the only thing someone (anyone) should have done once the accident happened, is stay and do their job and do their best to help save as many people as possible. And that is what I would like to think I would have done.

Tugg

(PS I know I am making light of a very serious situation where many people lost their live which is not a laughing matter. But as a skydiver I gained a very dark sense of humor.)

[Edited 2012-01-17 16:10:17]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Mir

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 am

We can all say what we think we might have done. But we have no idea how we would actually react in the heat of the moment.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BN747

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:26 am

Agreed, it's very hard to say what anyone would do... but as in most cases, people trained in certain situations are usually compelled to 'instinctively give in to training mode' thinking... usually. He, being at the helm of as many ships as he has been to be hired as cruiseship capt. was without question the 1st to know his ship was listing. Having sailed those waters as many times as he had, he also knew immediately upon impact...what had happened. Given that, he did not respond well.

BN747

[Edited 2012-01-17 16:57:28]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:14 pm

From experience I can say that, while I normally tend to talk too much, in real emergencies I become emotionally detached and concentrate on whatever there is to do. I also think that it the training from my time in a civil defence heavy rescue unit kicking in. I know ex soldiers, nurses or firefighters who have similar reactions.
While I haven´t been involved in a major disater, I had in the past extinguish a burning hydrogen cylinder in a university lab, extinguish a car with a carburetor fire and at one time I had to perform (unsuccessfully) CPR to a guy who collapsed with a cardiac arrest on a beach.
I know that I can stand the sight of blood and that I have some survival tricks up my sleeve from the civil defence time.

Jan

[Edited 2012-01-18 07:15:31]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Ken777

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I'll assume that you are focused on what would we do to react to the problem, not cause it.

I see several things I would consider.

The first thing I would be doing is advising the company and any close ships of a potential problem as soon as the ship showed the first problem. I'm assuming that the company has emergency procedures & systems, including advanced engineering consultants that can be immediately available. (If not, they soon will.)

In addition, the area of the accident is pretty well traveled and there may well be other ships in the area, including cruise ships who could have provided rescue assistance. A cruise ship would have been ideal because of the number of lifeboats they would have had.

These efforts should have solid people on the bridge to support the Captain in communications and maintaining records.

If something caused the ship to list I think one of the first things to do in waters like that is to drop the lifeboats on the "high" side with an experienced 2 man to stand close by in case rescues were necessary. It is not difficult to understand that the high side boats will be lost if the ship lists beyond a certain point - no way should they be lost if there is time to drop them.

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 5):
If something caused the ship to list I think one of the first things to do in waters like that is to drop the lifeboats on the "high" side with an experienced 2 man to stand close by in case rescues were necessary. It is not difficult to understand that the high side boats will be lost if the ship lists beyond a certain point - no way should they be lost if there is time to drop them.

While the lifeboats can be launched (within limits) by gravity alone, what about the engineering staff trying to get emergency lighting going? Or has the nautical and engineering crew on these ships so much depleted due to cost cutting that there is no manpower available? Today it seems that most personnel on cruise ships are passenger related staff and not enough trained seamen and engineers available.

Jan

seb146

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
we have no idea how we would actually react in the heat of the moment.

This is so true! When I was managing a Taco Bell, they told us about fire safety and evacuations and such. I never thought it would happen. One night, the HVAC people came, but no one told us. Smoke came pouring through the vents. Three workers ran but I and another manager stayed to find the source of the smoke and call 911. I was terrified, but, knowing those I am responsible for were able to get out made everything easier.

The captain was an idiot for piloting the ship so close to shore. He is responsible for 4000+ souls. If it were just him, I would say he is a idiot anyway, but the story would end there. But, since he is in charge and responsible for others, he needs to be punished!
Life in the wall is a drag.

Tugger

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 1):
I would "accidentally" fall off the ship as it was listing and I was saving/helping some poor disabled child/passenger (when it was safe to do so of course), then swum to shore and suffered from amnesia. Permanent amnesia, mind you....

OK..... In a strange twist, the captain is now saying something oddly similar to my jest:

Quote:
Captain Francesco Schettino said it was an accident that he left the Costa Concordia, according to Italian press reports.

"The passengers were pouring on to the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault," he was quoted as telling a judge during a hearing to determine whether he should be held in custody on charges of manslaughter and abandoning ship.

"I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60-70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That's how I found myself in the lifeboat," Schettino said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...ordia-captain-stricken-cruise-ship

He forgot the amnesia though....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Starbuk7

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I can honestly say after being in the Navy for 20 years on 5 different aircraft carriers, that I would have stayed with the ship and helped everyone that needed help to get off of the ship. We in the Navy are trained to do this and as a Ships Captain, he of all people on board should have been trained to do this and his leaving the ship is deplorable, aside from the fact that he did not follow the course to avoid the rocks and shallows that he knew were there just to show off to the people on the shore.

MD-90

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 1):

How's that?

ROTFL the captain claims that's sort of what happened! (minus the amnesia)

Cruise Captain Says He 'Tripped' Into Lifeboat, Couldn't Get Out

Quote:
"I was helping some passengers put the life boat to sea. At a certain point the mechanism for lowering it, blocked. We had to force it. Suddenly the system unblocked itself and I tripped and I found myself inside the life boat with a number of passengers."

Once in the lifeboat that was lowered into the sea, Schettino insisted to the court that it was "impossible to go back onboard."

747srule

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 pm

He is now being called "Chicken of the Sea." Anyway, the only boat he will be captain of is the one in his bathtub!!
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Quoting 747srule (Reply 11):
He is now being called "Chicken of the Sea." Anyway, the only boat he will be captain of is the one in his bathtub!!

His own bathtub? He´ll be picking up the soap for the Italian version of "Bubba" in the prison shower room!

Jan

Bluebird191

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I myself have my boat licence here in Australia, and often get out on the water in a boat. If you are in charge of the vessel, whether it be known as the captain or otherwise, if you are in charge, it is basic seamanship to stay on the vessel and coordinate th evac until everyone is off and accounted for. And when I say basic seamanship, I mean it is so basic that even a clumsy captain like Schettini shouldnt have an issue with it.

Which also begs the question - if Schettini was so clumsy and "accodentally tripped and fell into a life raft", how was he talking to the coast service at the same time? And being so clumsy, why was he allowed control and captaincy of such a large vessel?

zippyjet

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 pm

Honestly, if I were the Captain I don't know what I'd do. Thank God I've never been in a situation and hope never to be. So, to tell you yes or no would be like trying to fly a 747 blindfolded. But, as captain you know, I'd be scoring with all the hot chicks on board if it were smooth sailing and make sure my crew knows, that I'm performing special duties and to steer clear of icebergs, big ass rocks and little islands.

On a serious note my heart goes out to all the pax and crew on board.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

njxc500

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Even if things were really going south, I would think that I could find a way to make sure the evacuation was happening properly. The captain abandoning ship should resonate very deep with this board. Imagine the captain of an aircraft jumping out ahead of passengers after a crash. Sully stayed til the end.

I would like to hear the full conversation between the captain and the Coast Guard. There are now t-shirts for the famous saying.

Tragic event. A couple from my area is missing, prayers for the families.

[Edited 2012-01-18 15:30:30]

AR385

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 pm

I wanted to refrain from entering this thread just yet. Everything seems to indicate that the Captain not only was an incompetent ass, but also has a high disregard for human life, at least for someone in his profession. But, is it really so?

I assume all his peers know what happened to that other Greek incompetent who left the sinking ship in the Aegean with other high ranking crew, again, leaving thousands behind.

So how is it this Schettino just up and left, leaving thousands behind, again?

There is also the issue of the company having to find a good scapegoat, that also has to be considered.

Maybe things are just as they are, but it just seems so easy to blame this Big Bad Captain that for the time being, I´ll reserve my judgement until a few more days have passed and there is more info.

[Edited 2012-01-18 15:46:47]

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:33 am

AR385,

Very intelligent post. Not just saying that because I agree either, lol. Seriously though, you put that into words better than I would have. These posts may all be quite correct, but I do not see how anyone in an armchair position can accurately know what they would do, for better or worse.

My opinion is who cares what the company has to say. It's a given that they have an awful lot of liability here, whatever happens, so it is impossible to take their side as unbiased in any way. I would be more interested in what the Italian Coast Guard has to say about it.

Time will tell. And as to the ridiculous question that this thread started with, I don't know what I'd do, since I'm not a cruise ship captain. I'd like to say something self-aggrandizing/serving about how I wouldn't leave, etc etc... But the truth is that it's impossible for any of us to know until we're there. Which we were not. When, for example, would any one of us call it a day and stop searching compartments. Those ships are huge in the sense that they have an awful lot of spaces for PAX to get lost in. Anyway, we weren't there so we don't know what we'd do. Bad question, 747400sp.
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am

Now how would you have handle this situation, if you was the captain of the Costa Concordia?

Firstly follow the SOP/Rules.
In case of a tragedy,ensure responsibility for the crew & pax......Be the last living person out.......
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MadameConcorde

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 pm

My answer is very simple. Never would I put my passengers's lifes at rirk for any reason what so ever.

This accident should not have happened. For being familiar with that area and other spots around the Italian coast, the human error looks really obvious.

A tragedy that could have been avoided.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

MD11Engineer

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 18):
Be the last living person out.......

I would say the last reasonable living person out. Nobody will demand of the captain to skinny dip into a dark, flooded engine room to check if there still might be survivors in some air bubbles.
He should also be able to give the coast guard the number of the passengers and crew aboard before the accident and a reasonable estimate of how many got off the ship.
Since he knows the ship better than the coast guard, he should cooperate with them to show the coast guard where possible survivors might be trapped in the ship, so that the coast guard and navy divers will know where to look for survivors.

Just f#cking off is a disgrace.

Jan

Ken777

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 6):
what about the engineering staff trying to get emergency lighting going?

If an inexpensive emergency lighting system can work in an office or school without human support it should be able to on a ship. The engineering staff could be focused on back-up electrical systems, but the lighting should be automatic.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 6):
Today it seems that most personnel on cruise ships are passenger related staff and not enough trained seamen and engineers available.

I think it might be the changes brought by tech advances. I saw the bridge during a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas and only one person was needed - computers handled the rest. It was an interesting comparison to the bridge of a Navy ship in the 60s, but i missed seeing the multiple people on a bridge watching things and backing up others. Maybe there was a second person who was making a head call, but one person in a very comfortable chair is a concern after this accident.

While there may have been major reductions in trained engineers and seamen it is possible to cross train other employees for tasks like driving the lifeboats. That opens up the core people to continue working, especially if there is 2 or 3 times the number cross trained as needed.

To be blunt, our waiter last September was easily bright enough to be cross trained in a couple of other areas, especially in the areas of emergency procedures.

Quoting Bluebird191 (Reply 13):
And when I say basic seamanship, I mean it is so basic that even a clumsy captain like Schettini shouldnt have an issue with it.

Don't know if the Captain was clumsy, but I have no doubts that he panicked and his fear was too great to "return" to the ship. That dud will never live down the name Chicken of the Seas.

lmml 14/32

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Will you all please stop speculating? You are simply playing in the hands of the media. The only difference is that the media is making all the money and you are not.

What Costa has done smacks of what Air New Zealand did in the Erebus accident. Blame the Captain because he is the easiest person to blame. WE DO NOT HAVE THE FACTS.

Concordia did exactly the same route, via Giglio, last August, even routing closer to the island..! This was probably even sanctioned by the company.

http://www.lloydslist.com/ll/sector/ship-operations/article389069.ece

Below is what a crew member had to say. This is in Italian. Basically this crew member is saying SHE WAS THERE, evacuated with the last boat while the Captain was still on the ship...! So there you have it. Who do you believe now?

http://www.nocensura.com/2012/01/la-...timonianza-di-katia-keyvanian.html

redflyer

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 16):
but it just seems so easy to blame this Big Bad Captain that for the time being
Quoting lmml 14/32 (Reply 22):
What Costa has done smacks of what Air New Zealand did in the Erebus accident. Blame the Captain because he is the easiest person to blame. WE DO NOT HAVE THE FACTS.

While I would in general agree that we can't pass judgment on an issue until all the facts are known, we can pass judgment on the fact that this guy committed a huge and unforgivable mistake by leaving his ship when passengers were still on board. That is a fact as evidenced by the audio recording between him and the Italian CG. He acknowledged having abandoned his command and he acted in a cowardly manner by refusing to go back aboard and help with the evacuation. That is a fact. And there is nothing that would mitigate this, unless of course one were to believe his story that he tripped and fell into a lifeboat.

What we can't pass judgment on is how/why the ship ran aground. This is where I would withhold judgment until all the facts are known. We don't even know if he was on the bridge when the ship hit the rocks or, even if he was, what transpired to make the ship deviate from its path. For all we know, he may have had the ship deviate from its intended course to get closer to the island, but the helmsman may have steered the ship too close by accident and the captain may have been trying to get the ship out of harm's way when it ran aground.

There is absolutely no reason for him to have been in a lifeboat trying to get away when passengers that he was responsible for were still on board trying to evacuate.
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

johns624

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Quoting lmml 14/32 (Reply 22):
Below is what a crew member had to say. This is in Italian. Basically this crew member is saying SHE WAS THERE, evacuated with the last boat while the Captain was still on the ship...! So there you have it. Who do you believe now?

I believe the Italian Coast Guard.

flyingturtle

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_08zcCmx8&feature=related

Here's the conversation between "Capt." Schettino and the Italian Coast Guard.
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Revelation

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:12 pm

I wonder, if I was in his place, how would I have handle things differently.
I wonder, if I was in his place, how would I have handle things differently. I could say that, "oh I would not have sailed in uncharted waters, and I would have stayed with the ship", but I was not in his shoes, so I can not really answer this question. Now how would you have handle this situation, if you was the captain of the Costa Concordia?

Personally, I would have gotten one of the crew to get the phone number of the "mystery girl" from Maldova:

instead of ordering dinner with her after the ship hit the first set of rocks.

Quoting 747srule (Reply 11):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 12):
His own bathtub? He´ll be picking up the soap for the Italian version of "Bubba" in the prison shower room!

Sad but true...
Inspiration, move me brightly!

steeler83

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm

If I were captain, um... we'd have 11 fewer deaths, no injuries, and nobody missing! I wouldn't have taken us that close to the island to begin with!

That being said, isn't it the captain's duty on board any mode of transportation to be the last to leave from a crippled vehicle? When US 1548 crash landed in the Hudson River, wasn't the captain the last one off the plane?
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

flyingturtle

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 27):
That being said, isn't it the captain's duty on board any mode of transportation to be the last to leave from a crippled vehicle? When US 1548 crash landed in the Hudson River, wasn't the captain the last one off the plane?

No, it isn't. It's "only" code of honor to be the last to leave the ship when you're captain. But this has a tremendous effect on the passengers and crew - they see that somebody is still in charge. This principle is the very same everywhere.

I'm a sort of mountain guide with the Alpine Club. As the final responsability rests with me, I can imagine how the people will freak out when I'm losing my nerves... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16611371 gives some interesting answers. In international law, the captain isn't forced to be the last person aboard - but because he's the ultimate authority, he has the be where he can direct the evacuation in the most efficient manner.

Though, Italian law stipulates that the captain leaves the ship last.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 28):
No, it isn't. It's "only" code of honor to be the last to leave the ship when you're captain. But this has a tremendous effect on the passengers and crew - they see that somebody is still in charge. This principle is the very same everywhere.

If there is a risk or exceptional responsibility, the highest ranking has to take it. He can´t delegate it to his subordinates.
When I was an apprentice, we had a fire in our hangar caused by some roofers repairing a tarpaper roof not being careful with their torch (it was eventualy extinguished by the airport fire crew without causing too much damage, but while it lasted the hangar was full of smoke and nobody knew how big the fire would turn out to be with all the flammable liquids in the hangar).
All workers were ordered outside by the management via loudspeakers and the managers themselves went inside to all aircraft out, which were still towable (e.g. not jacked up with wheels removed) to reduce the possible damage.
Normally aircraft towing was done by mechanics, but in this case the senior staff did the job themselves.

Jan

Revelation

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 28):
In international law, the captain isn't forced to be the last person aboard - but because he's the ultimate authority, he has the be where he can direct the evacuation in the most efficient manner.

Though, Italian law stipulates that the captain leaves the ship last.

Given that the company picked the captain, is there any law that can hold the company accountable for not giving the captain tests to verify his ability to deal with an emergency?

Earlier someone mentioned there are simulators for cruise ship bridges. Is there any law covering re-occuring "check rides" for ship captains?

Even that is not enough - you would think you would have to conduct a drill with observers and the actual crew to see how the captain exerts his leadership and how well trained his crew is.

I know the military is good at this type of thing. I'm having my doubts about the cruise industry.

swissy

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 30):
Given that the company picked the captain, is there any law that can hold the company accountable for not giving the captain tests to verify his ability to deal with an emergency?

Way to many people loose their cool while under extreme pressure....you can live like that without you even knowing it and if you are not exposed to these things everything seems to be fine...

Quoting Revelation (Reply 30):
I know the military is good at this type of thing. I'm having my doubts about the cruise industry.

Agree 100%, think about it, if the shipping/airline/train/coach-bus industry would do the same testing what the outcome would be...

Have been in many situations where others lost it and I did what I had to do... the worst one was the AF flight in YYZ when the AC over ran the runway during landing... happen right in front of us...

The captain sure did the wrong thing from the beginning and made it worst by jumping the boat before all his pax where off the boat... how would I have reacted? based on the past... not like the captain did, to what extend? no clue

cheerios,

Geezer

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:13 am

Quoting tugger (Reply 8):

"I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60-70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That's how I found myself in the lifeboat," Schettino said

Here's my big problem; above is a quote from the Captain himself; in this quote, he says he tripped; with nothing more to go on, I would be inclined to see this as a very lame excuse.......anyone would; but in another quote, he states that they were lowering a life boat, and the lowering mechanism "bound-up", "stuck", what ever, ( possibly while excited people were pulling on it to get it "un-stuck" ), and suddenly it became un-stuck, ( while he was still exerting force to pull on it ), and when it became un-stuck, he went flying into the life boat. That sounds a bit more "possible" ? ( Not saying that's what happened, just that it's possible.)

Now........I am definitely not suggesting this is what happened; as we all know, I wasn't there, and neither were any of the folks making all of these speculations there. We are ALL dependent on the people who WERE there for our information.

Another thing; I keep hearing that there are 11 known fatalities; then we hear there are 20 people "still missing"; how long has it been now since this happened ? My point is..........barring a major miracle, ( which I sure pray we get ), I'm awfully sad to say that it's almost a sure thing now that there were 32 fatalities in this tragedy. However..........no one, not the media, the cruise line, or the police can come out and say.......(at this point)......there are 32 dead. They realize they have to wait until it is an absolute certainty, before they can say that.

My own personal opinion is the same as everyone else; I think this man was a complete fool before the ship ever hit the rocks; then I think he responded just about as poorly as I have ever seen a person with this much responsibility do.

But even after having said that, I'm not ready to hang this man just yet.

Many are concerned that the cruise line is attempting to throw the Captain "under the bus" to avoid liability; I'm sure that's the least of our worries; it's their vessel, the Captain is their employee, and there is no way they can avoid liability, and I'm quite certain they are aware of that. ( I will also predict we won't see any Costa cruise ships sailing near the coast to "show off" any time soon. )

Think about one thing........where are we all getting our information about what happened ? the "media" ? "eye-witnesses" ? a recording of a recording of a conversation, when we still aren't sure just where everyone was, and just when they were there ? Correct me if I'm wrong..... but I'm quite certain this whole affair is going to end up in a court room; many people will tell their recollection of what they (think) they saw. A few people will lie; (they almost always do ) That usually makes the whole process take even longer to get to........the truth. I happen to have great faith in the truth; it almost always prevails in the end. But I'm patient.....I can wait. I think we should all be just a bit more patient.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

flyingturtle

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, if I were the captain of the Costa Concordia...

...I'd keep clear of any rocks and islands and have a pompous arrival at the destination.

Just to show off that my ship didn't sink. 

Revelation

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting geezer (Reply 32):
Quoting tugger (Reply 8):

"I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60-70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That's how I found myself in the lifeboat," Schettino said

Here's my big problem; above is a quote from the Captain himself; in this quote, he says he tripped; with nothing more to go on, I would be inclined to see this as a very lame excuse.......anyone would; but in another quote, he states that they were lowering a life boat, and the lowering mechanism "bound-up", "stuck", what ever, ( possibly while excited people were pulling on it to get it "un-stuck" ), and suddenly it became un-stuck, ( while he was still exerting force to pull on it ), and when it became un-stuck, he went flying into the life boat. That sounds a bit more "possible" ? ( Not saying that's what happened, just that it's possible.)

I think it's a lame excuse because its clear that the Captain is responsible for the whole ship and not for getting people into boats in an orderly fashion. Clearly the man should have been on the bridge and should have delegated that task to others. Clearly when the CG called he should have been on the bridge and been in a position to describe the situation and describe what help he needed.

I suppose it doesn't matter much. The ex-captain would have known the minute the ship hit the rocks that his career was over and he would be subject to harsh treatment by the law. Grounding the ship perhaps did save lives but his cowardly and/or incompetent actions thereafter only made things worse.

tcasalert

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:01 pm

The ironic thing is, had Captain Dipshit remained onboard to co-ordinate the rescue instead of cowardly scooting off before he could get caught, he would more than likely have survived anyway.
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 29):
Normally aircraft towing was done by mechanics, but in this case the senior staff did the job themselves.

It would be faster if the regulars had done it with the Mgmt supervising In my opinion,as they would be familiar with the equipment & save time.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MD11Engineer

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 36):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 29):

It would be faster if the regulars had done it with the Mgmt supervising In my opinion,as they would be familiar with the equipment & save time.

Sure, but the management could not have ordered any of the subordinates into a burning building. So they decided to carry the risk themselves. Of course, a few of the regular tow truck drivers could have volunteered.
In any case the guys of management, who towed out the aircraft, were all former mechanics and engineers, who had hands on experience themselves.

Jan

garpd

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Most of us realy do not know how we will react in an emergency situation. Some of will elect flight, some of us will elect fight the rest will freeze.

I think it is quite laughable, when people assert "I would do this, that and the other, not like Schettino". The truth is, you do not know. Panic is a strange beast. It can make the buchest of men run screaming or the quietest person a loud leader.

You are all sitting comfortable judging a person from afar using hindsight as a tool.
I do not excuse Captain Schettino for his actions, but any schrink will tell you, you cannot help how you will react when the proverbial **** hits the fan.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 26):

Schettino did not order dinner after the collision. I cannot believe someone of your calibre has believed that sensationalist claptrap.

All reports have Schettino on the bridge untill he went down to the boat deck and either fell in or took flight on a lifeboat.

As for "He should have stayed on the bridge". What nonsense. What good would have come of him remaining on the dark, powerless bridge with the ship listing beyond the maximum angle you can stand on deck at?
Being some where more central would have made more sense.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

AR385

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 38):
All reports have Schettino on the bridge untill he went down to the boat deck and either fell in or took flight on a lifeboat.

I think the mistery is solved. According to this article (sorry, in Spanish only)

http://internacional.elpais.com/inte.../actualidad/1327479093_548752.html

On recorded phone conversations in his cell, the night of the accident, Schettino told one of his frends "As soon as I noticed the ship was listing, I left"

That happened at about 23:30 local. So yes, he left before the majority of the passengers had.

The problem for Schettino now (among others) is that he has already said he "fell" into a boat and that his leaving the ship was an accident. In my opinion, all credibility he had until now is gone.

And as I said on another post in this thread, I was going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now, to me, he is officially a coward and a sissy.

Quoting garpd (Reply 38):
I think it is quite laughable, when people assert "I would do this, that and the other, not like Schettino". The truth is, you do not know. Panic is a strange beast. It can make the buchest of men run screaming or the quietest person a loud leader.

You are all sitting comfortable judging a person from afar using hindsight as a tool.
I do not excuse Captain Schettino for his actions, but any schrink will tell you, you cannot help how you will react when the proverbial **** hits the fan.

I would agree with you here on most occasions, except I don´t think what you say applies in this one . What you say would apply to most people in situations for which they are not prepared for. Or in environments that are strange to them. In such situations, of course we will react according to our instincts.

But if you accept a position with the authority and responsibility of having to respond for other peoples´ safety and well being, you better know how you are going to react when the proverbial s... hits the fan. If you don´t, then accepting that position is negligent, I would say. Besides, that´s one of the reasons for all the training you´ve gone through. There´s no excuse if you just follow your instincts and react according to them in a position where you´ve been trained for and you have many years worth of experience. We are human beings, after all. We can overcome our instincts and act according to reason not just circumstance.

garpd

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 39):
I would agree with you here on most occasions, except I don´t think what you say applies in this one . What you say would apply to most people in situations for which they are not prepared for. Or in environments that are strange to them. In such situations, of course we will react according to our instincts.

But if you accept a position with the authority and responsibility of having to respond for other peoples´ safety and well being, you better know how you are going to react when the proverbial s... hits the fan. If you don´t, then accepting that position is negligent, I would say. Besides, that´s one of the reasons for all the training you´ve gone through. There´s no excuse if you just follow your instincts and react according to them in a position where you´ve been trained for and you have many years worth of experience. We are human beings, after all. We can overcome our instincts and act according to reason not just circumstanc

Absolutely spot on.

I'm not excusing Schettino. Not for one instance.

What I find amusing is the people here confidently asserting they would do it differently.
Sometimes the most skilled people crumble when it comes to crunch time.
A soldier might train for 5 years to kill, kill, kill. Yet when the time comes he runs.
AF447 shows how skilled and trained pilots can panic and do all the wrong things.

If you are wired to take flight in a crunch situation, no ammount of training is going to help.

And if Costa hired a Captain without first checking he was up to the task, then they must carry some blame in this matter. Which is probably why they have come down so hard against Schettino publicly. I suppose they know they'll be getting looked at very closely, so they'll be trying to push as much blame on someone else as they can. And Schettino is right in the firing line.
arpdesign.wordpress.com