DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Perry Drops Out, Rep SC Primary, And Beyond

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:53 am

In an effort to not spam the forums with a million topics, I'm trying to consolidate all the recent election news into one thread, one that can hopefully deviate a bit from the original post and still be relevant.

Rick Perry dropped out of the race today and endorsed Newt. No surprise, and this will probably put him over Romney (he was close before.) If not, I do not see Santorum continuing much longer. He is behind Romney and Newt, and recently has dipped below Paul, putting him in 4th (out of 4.) I foresee him dropping out after SC and endorsing Newt which would be a force to be reckoned with.

Romney is getting into some trouble over his low tax rate (due somewhat to capital gains I believe.) Nothing illegal, but doesn't look good. Now there is talk about him putting money in Cayman accounts. Hmm.

Paul is still abused IMO. The AP ran a story about him purchasing all these 1st class tickets when in fact the article was entirely misleading--he pays the same as all other Congressmen/women and uses his FF miles to upgrade. Didn't hear that story spread around. He got booed by SC for saying that our country should do to others as we would want them to do to them. Even if you hate him, there are probably some areas which you agree with him in that should really be brought up. But I won't start this into a Paul thread (unless yall want to   )

So we are down to 4, a moderate, 2 conservative, and a constitutionalist. I foresee Newt winning this one, Romney 2nd, poor Paul 3rd, and Santorum last (I think it'll be his last shot.) For the first time, I see Newt as having a shot at winning this nomination.

Please discuss the Republican Presidential Primary! (very broad so I hope it won't get locked from it going off topic  )
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

2707200X

RE: Perry Drops Out, Rep SC Primary, And Beyond

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:19 am

Mitt Romney is starting to look competitive in SC, he does not seem to be the inevitable candidate anymore. Gingrich is now a serious challenge to Mitt as some of the polls indicate that Newt is ahead and the finding that Santorum may have won Iowa is not helping Mitt but is is still Romney's game to win or loose.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:39 am

Another add: Herman Cain made his big, unconventional endorsement today...

The People.      

thegreatRDU

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 am

I can't wait until the SC Primary....it's still too close to call and there is still more damming stuff out there for some of the candidates....
Our Returning Champion

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting thegreatRDU (Reply 3):
I can't wait until the SC Primary....it's still too close to call and there is still more damming stuff out there for some of the candidates....

Well, recent polls suggest Newt and Romney are going to be competing for 1st and 2nd, and Paul and Santorum are competing for 3rd and 4th. I think Newt will win since he is riding the surge upwards, and I think Santorum will get in last since he's dipping downwards a bit. Sadly, I see this as a race between Romney and Newt. I think Santorum will drop out and Paul will continue on. Paul is committed towards his message, and if he gets a large chunk of the people to see his views, I think that's a win in my book. That's all I ask for, he's done a great job raising awareness

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 am

Didn't Rick Perry drop out 2 weeks ago only to restart his campaign again a day later?
Is this an attention getting stunt by Rick Perry?
Newt Gingrich winning South Carolina primary wont be much of a surprise.
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Didn't Rick Perry drop out 2 weeks ago only to restart his campaign again a day later?
Is this an attention getting stunt by Rick Perry?

He said he was going to "reassess his campaign" or something. Everyone thought that meant dropping out, but he never said he was. And he didn't. Meanwhile, Bachmann said she was going to SC and dropped out the next day. Lol

ltbewr

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:10 am

Perry's screw-ups pretty much ruined him. By the way, it appears that Romney DID NOT 'win' the Iowa caucuses, didn't by about 43 votes to Sanatorium. Newt Gingrich has a ex-wife making noise today in an interview for ABC network news and the first question to him in today's 'debate' on CNN was about his past adultery. More comes out about the taxes Romney doesn't pay, continues to not put out his tax records to the public and is ending up looking more arrogant. Ron Paul, well, he still gets the libertarian wingdings.
Oh, what a sorry bunch they are. All they needed some someone without any of their 'baggage' and they could have a competitive chance vs. Obama.

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 6):
Meanwhile, Bachmann said she was going to SC and dropped out the next day.

Heck, maybe I should go to South Carolina too! 
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 7):
Newt Gingrich has a ex-wife making noise today in an interview for ABC

These reporters should give it a rest already. Ex-wives and ex-girlfriends often do not have positive things to say about their past boyfriends or husbands. That is his personal business. It's so obvious the press wants to sabotage any politician that criticizes and wants to campaign against Obama.
Unless Newt killed, raped or tortured someone, I really don't care about his personal life. It's not like he hung out with terrorist that's bomb the Pentagon or anything....
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:02 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
That is his personal business.

Actually, I completely agree. The only time this should really be mentioned is when he defends the sanctity of marriage! (How's he gonna get past that one?)

jcs17

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:07 am

Gingrich is an utterly detestable candidate and a person. Newt has one thing in mind in during his candidacy and his personal life: Newt. It's ironic that the only person who rivals Newt's sense of self-importance and self-grandeur is Bill Clinton -- someone who Newt continually persecuted (and rightly and hypocritically so).

You want some side pussy (as the late, great Patrice O'Neal termed it), don't get married. It's as simple as that.

Hezbollah Newt wants to blow up anyone in the GOP who gets in his path. Romney had the "audacity" to run critical ads against Newt in Iowa. Earth to Newt, earth to Newt?! National politics is full contact. He then attacks Bain as some sort of venture capitalist firm in the line of MF Global and Goldman Sachs -- entirely incorrect. He then cites a few companies that liquidated after Bain provided a lifeline. Newt knows exactly what Bain did and why it exists, and it's not to lay off entire companies and swallow their assets.

Mitt Romney (who was a small businessman and is now well-off) is now a bad person for stashing his assets in the Caymans, exactly like the moneymakers who are supporting his candidacy (and Obama's candidacy) does. By the way, that money is taxed when it comes onshore. It's not like the guy laundering money like a Colombian drug lord. It's a perfectly legal method to get around tax laws in the US.

Newt Gingrich is a lousy human being and the worst type of person we need in the GOP. Someone who forgot Reagan's 11th amendment and who can't let a chance at the Presidency go. Someone who is willing to use the attacks of the left to vilify his opponent. Given Gingrich's statements he would've done well to go to Occupy Wall Street and keep a family of rats.

Not that it matters in New York or my congressional district, but I will happily stay home if Hezbollah Newt is nominated at the GOP candidate.

[Edited 2012-01-19 21:11:33]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

BN747

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:33 am

I'd rather sleep with Barbara Bush than ever agree with JCS17 on anything he says...

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 11):
Hezbollah Newt wants to blow up anyone in the GOP who gets in his path. Romney had the "audacity" to run critical ads against Newt in Iowa. Earth to Newt, earth to Newt?! National politics is full contact.

But he nailed it right there.

Politics is a full contact sport, we've had officials making fun of the President's wife and his kids. And no one's had a problem with that. And if Obama had a 1st wife who he treated like crap, cheated on openly humiliating her and running out of his kids leaving them to fend for themselves...as Gingrich did (1st wife), Fox News/Limbaugh & Hannity would be speaking about it every 5 minutes.

None of these 'his personal life doesn't matter' peeps would be saying that about Obama were that true, they'd be wailing on it 247 - just like they do hear repeating 'teleprompter, Ayers & Rev. Wright'..they still can't let it go. Imagibe iof they had something 'real' to gripe about.

If you commit it.. you own it. You don't get a pass.

No matter how bellicose and belligerent Gingrich is towards the press before a 'selected supportive audience'.. the stink of the past is not gonna smell any less. I say to the press, put a mic infront of wife #1, the one he harmed the most.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 10):
That is his personal business.

Actually, I completely agree. The only time this should really be mentioned is when he defends the sanctity of marriage! (How's he gonna get past that one?)

As much as you may, it is the GOP who loves to play the 'who can marry who game' when employing political tools of division, Gingrich will not be able to run from his past now. Whenever married women (and scorned divorcees) look at Leroy Gingrich and Callista, all they're gonna be able to think about is 'she was in his wife's bed for 6 years before he divorced her..' .. what moral compress has he to direct anyone on anything?

BN747

[Edited 2012-01-19 21:57:59]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

StarAC17

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 am

These reporters should give it a rest already. Ex-wives and ex-girlfriends often do not have positive things to say about their past boyfriends or husbands. That is his personal business. It's so obvious the press wants to sabotage any politician that criticizes and wants to campaign against Obama.

I would say that would be fine but everything is fair game. With Newt though it is especially fair game because this guy had the audacity to go after Clinton for screwing around while doing it himself and that says more about his character than simply having an affair.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 11):
Politics is a full contact sport, we've had officials making fun of the President's wife and his kids. And no one's had a problem with that. And if Obama had a 1st wife who he treated like crap, cheated on openly humiliating her and running out of his kids leaving them to fend for themselves...as Gingrich did (1st wife), Fox News/Limbaugh & Hannity would be speaking about it every 5 minutes.

If Obama had a footage of grabbing a woman's bum while he was senator we would all be discussing a democratic primary race going up against president John McCain or a GOP primary against Hillary.

Obama would have never been elected if he had an affair and never have got the nomination to begin with. He is the Jackie Robinson of politics.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 11):
None of these 'his personal life doesn't matter' peeps would be saying that about Obama were that true, they'd be wailing on it 247 - just like they do hear repeating 'teleprompter, Ayers & Rev. Wright'..they still can't let it go. Imagibe iof they had something 'real' to gripe about.

They all wish they could find dirt on him that would stick and this is not about media protection. More people watch Fox than MSNBC and CNN is by no means brown-nosing Obama. Often times with Obama they come up with an allegation it gets checked and turns out to be complete crap.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 12):
He is the Jackie Robinson of politics.

I wouldn't say that after seeing the way he throws a ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Tart58c7E
Bring back the Concorde

StarAC17

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):

I wouldn't say that after seeing the way he throws a ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Tart58c7E

Fair point but what about his jump shot   .

FlyPNS1

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 10):
Gingrich is an utterly detestable candidate and a person. Newt has one thing in mind in during his candidacy and his personal life: Newt.

I would say that is true of most candidates for President, though I would agree that Newt is one of the worst.

Mitt Romney (who was a small businessman and is now well-off)

Since when was Mitt ever a "small businessman"??

Newt knows exactly what Bain did and why it exists, and it's not to lay off entire companies and swallow their assets.

In some cases, that's exactly what Bain is brought in to do. They're not interested in long-term success. The goal is to make a quick buck for investors by whatever means necessary.

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 14):
Fair point but what about his jump shot

Haven't seen it.

With Newt though it is especially fair game because this guy had the audacity to go after Clinton for screwing around while doing it himself and that says more about his character than simply having an affair.

That is true and Gingrich should answer why he went after Clinton for the same reason.
Newt Gingrich's daughter's has come to the defense of their father and that is more important than what the bitter ex-wives think. Newt Gingrich once again slammed another news reporter for opening up the debate with this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwf7UFYQnM

It would have made more sense if the question came up later in the debate and asked how he justified going after Clinton for the same reason. Mitt Romney was spot on for simply saying that we need to move on to more important issues.
It seems as though the press wants to turn this in to a male beauty pageant. Who looks best on camera, who seems to uphold a wholesome image and who looks best in a bikini. Of course Obama would win that contest.
Bring back the Concorde

PHLBOS

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Thread starter):
In an effort to not spam the forums with a million topics, I'm trying to consolidate all the recent election news into one thread, one that can hopefully deviate a bit from the original post and still be relevant.

Here's a friendly suggestion to better accomplish such:

Use a more generic title for the thread with NO Event-Specific references. Example: NH (previous thread), SC (this thread; athough, to your credit, you did add And Beyond at the end of the title).

Simply title it The GOP Primary Thread or Presidential Primary Thread (if you don't want to restrict the focus to one specific political party) and be done with it.

It's worth noting that Event-Specific Threads usually get locked over time. So it's not as cumbersome as one would think.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Revelation

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 7):
Newt Gingrich has a ex-wife making noise today in an interview for ABC network news and the first question to him in today's 'debate' on CNN was about his past adultery.
Unless Newt killed, raped or tortured someone, I really don't care about his personal life. It's not like he hung out with terrorist that's bomb the Pentagon or anything....

I don't know the details (but it seems I will be spoon-fed them bit by bit), but if he did ask his wife for an open marraige, that's a plus in his favor. Again not knowing the details, if he asked and she said no and the divorce resulted, that to me shows he was trying to deal with the situation. He found he could not be happy sleeping with his wife, and tried to deal with it.

You want some side pussy (as the late, great Patrice O'Neal termed it), don't get married. It's as simple as that.

Or find a woman who is OK with an open marraige. The problem I see with "adultry" is the cheating part. If both people agree, it's not cheating. It's more laudable if you can be happy in a monogomous relationship, but for some people, that's just not in the cards.

Mitt Romney (who was a small businessman and is now well-off) is now a bad person for stashing his assets in the Caymans, exactly like the moneymakers who are supporting his candidacy (and Obama's candidacy) does. By the way, that money is taxed when it comes onshore. It's not like the guy laundering money like a Colombian drug lord. It's a perfectly legal method to get around tax laws in the US.

When I think of small businessman, I think of the local butcher/baker/tailor/etc.

Willard's problem really is the nature of his business. He was a financial engineer. He didn't make anything tangible. He made his millions by speculating. That doesn't demonstrate the skil set that one needs to lead a government, despite what he and his campaign say. After the GFC, the electorate detests financial engineers and speculators.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
It seems as though the press wants to turn this in to a male beauty pageant. Who looks best on camera, who seems to uphold a wholesome image and who looks best in a bikini. Of course Obama would win that contest.

Looks like Doc will be getting his new toaster after all!  
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 17):
Simply title it The GOP Primary Thread or Presidential Primary Thread (if you don't want to restrict the focus to one specific political party) and be done with it.

The problem is that it will end up with 200 post many of them off topic and filled with personal insults to members with a different opinion that the mods will eventually have to clean and thus locking the thread anyway.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 18):
if he did ask his wife for an open marraige, that's a plus in his favor. Again not knowing the details, if he asked and she said no and the divorce resulted, that to me shows he was trying to deal with the situation. He found he could not be happy sleeping with his wife, and tried to deal with it.

I was thinking the same. I haven't paid too much attention to his ex-wifes comments considering how it's being dragged out in the press. It sounds as though he was trying to honestly deal with the situation as an adult and not cheat on her but have an open relationship. At least his children are forgiving of his mistakes and still love their father.

Looks like Doc will be getting his new toaster after all!

LOL!         
No Doc hasn't got me to his side. Just complimenting the President on his appearance. No doubt that Obama is a sharp looking dude and I've always said he (and the rest of the country) would have been better off going in to acting instead of politics. Lot's of single women voted for him for his looks alone. He's a surrogate husband for a lot of these single women that can't find a man.
Bring back the Concorde

Revelation

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Quoting Gingrich from last night's debate:

Quote:

I think the destructive, vicious negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to govern this country.

What hypocrisy! Isn't this the same guy who just used his PAC and the (paid!) media to smear Romney with regard to Bain Capital?

So the media is good when your PAC can buy big blocks of time, but is crap otherwise?

Not to mention this is the guy who used his power as Speaker to go after Clinton for a BJ yet is appalled when anyone criticizes him for a 6 year affair that has obviously caused his ex-wife great pain.

The GOP primary is not playing out well for the GOP.

Mitt Romney is the prototypical yuppie 1%er and pisses off the hard-core conservatives.

Newt Gingrich is entertaining, but he's an absolute hypocrite and also a loose cannon, and when push comes to shove, is not really all that conservative.

It seems the "anyone but Mitt" camp is coalescing around Gingrich which will drag out the primary.

The longer it goes on, the more injured the GOP will become.

And it seems both are in it for the long haul.

Romney has already decided he's the candidate and will be damned if anyone takes it away from him.

Gingrich is pissed at Romney on a personal level and can see his political flaws, and being a loose cannon, he won't drop out. Besides, it's a win-win for Newt. He's a player again, and not an obscure professor. Either he gets the White House, or his speaker fees go up to a Palin level and he cashes in on book sales.

PPVRA

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

I don't know the details (but it seems I will be spoon-fed them bit by bit), but if he did ask his wife for an open marraige, that's a plus in his favor. Again not knowing the details, if he asked and she said no and the divorce resulted, that to me shows he was trying to deal with the situation. He found he could not be happy sleeping with his wife, and tried to deal with it.

The problem for him is the adultery of six years or however long it was, though granted a lot of people will also disagree that an open marriage is something acceptable. I personally don't care if he wanted an open marriage, but he should have been open about it since day one.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Revelation

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 21):
The problem for him is the adultery of six years or however long it was, though granted a lot of people will also disagree that an open marriage is something acceptable. I personally don't care if he wanted an open marriage, but he should have been open about it since day one.

It is possible that he thought he could be faithful to his (second..) wife when he married her, and found that he could not. It could also be possible he wanted a stable home life and a girlfriend or two on the side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_gingrich#Marriages_and_children points out he was having an affair with the soon-to-be second wife while he was still married to the first, so it seems a stretch for her to be outraged at his behavior.

PPVRA

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 22):
It is possible that he thought he could be faithful to his (second..) wife when he married her, and found that he could not. It could also be possible he wanted a stable home life and a girlfriend or two on the side.

He still should have told his wife if she was ok with him opening the marriage before he started dating his staffer. Then pursued divorce if the answer was no.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 22):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_gingrich#Marriages_and_children points out he was having an affair with the soon-to-be second wife while he was still married to the first, so it seems a stretch for her to be outraged at his behavior.

A stretch to be surprised, yes. But if the expectation was strictly monogamy, then Gingrich betrayed her trust and she has every right to be upset.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Looks like Newt is riding the wave of popularity in spite of the ex-wife stories

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...can_presidential_primary-1590.html

The polls shown happened in the last couple days. Looks like Newt is picking up support from Santorum and most of Perry's supporters. Very interesting because last week Romney had Iowa and NH under his belt, look undefeatable in SC, and virtually unchallenged in the nation

BN747

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 14):
Fair point but what about his jump shot

Haven't seen it.

Well, of course not..everyone else on the planet has and they all know he's got a mean 3-pointer. For his age, that makes him more athletic than half - if not more - the people on this board, who are younger.

Newt Gingrich's daughter's has come to the defense of their father and that is more important than what the bitter ex-wives think.

Loving Daughters who knows where the cheese is coming from or Palin-disease, dad's got the cash and it's pouring in..they aren't stupid. Clearly explained here...

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
it's a win-win for Newt. He's a player again, and not an obscure professor. Either he gets the White House, or his speaker fees go up to a Palin level and he cashes in on book sales.

The Daughters are adding up their take 'for being supportive'... secondly, this is not their mother. The 'supportive Daughters' are from wife #1' obviously not on the best of terns with wife #2 (the one speaking out) because they view her as ruining their mother's marriage, here's the perfect moment to take a swipe at her. But they crafted their words very carefully because someone pointed out to them the 'obvious'... these ex-wives have done thing wrong - at all.

Outside of the 'stacked and selected' audience, Marianne Gingrich resonated with half the women in America last night, they connected with her because 1) she's the average face of a jilted & divorced American house wife, ditched for a younger model - which they all fear as age sets in. 2) Gingrich's conduct in these situations isn't a one time offender but twice and seeing Callista's face (next to Newt's) is an every minute reminder of what he's capable of.

Newt Gingrich once again slammed another news reporter for opening up the debate with this issue.

Oh yeah he's rough and tough against reporters in a 'cherry-picked selective audience' that disrespect the reporter crap won't fly when he tries it outside of a handpicked GOP audience...just ask Sarah Palin after she tried it.

But how rough and tough was he when it came time to be a man, and tell your wife you're leaving her?

ABC News Nightline last..

...he told her over the phone,.

What kind of man lacks the stones to confront his wife with such news in that manner? A coward, that's who.
You ask your wife to marry you face to face, you tell you're leaving - face to face..not some gutless chicken sh*t over the phone nonsense. Again, shows the character in play - or lack thereof.

It would have made more sense if the question came up later in the debate and asked how he justified going after Clinton for the same reason

No more than the press opening up with their 1st questions at Clinton after learning of his personal scandal. It was the 800lb gorilla in the room..why pretend, start with it

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 23):

He still should have told his wife if she was ok with him opening the marriage before he started dating his staffer. Then pursued divorce if the answer was no.

That's not how men in those situations think - at all.

When you're in a relationship and another jumps out of left field (this was the atypical gold digger seduction case) - meaning wife #2 targeted Gingrich while he was with wife#1. Or Leroy could have been the pig and actually chased her down - but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, by sating he was pursued because of his political positioning.

In those cases, there's little time to process and come up with a long term strategy. It usually starts as a fleeting fling and most married men fantasize about the prospect of being wanted by another women - few will admit it, but most do entertain the notion. And understandably so.

After being with her 12 years when this started, he already knew her M.O. of thought patterns, views on an array of issues and felt this was the best way of doing it....after all, it worked the last time. In hindsight, yep...not too smart. The smarter move, if you ditch a woman and you have a rising career - BE their BFF, you don't want them as an enemy - I'd think any wannabee politician would reach that conclusion extremely quick and early on.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Wasn´t Huntsman critizised for his ability to speak fluent Mandarin (He used to be ambassador in China) and Romney for being able to speak French as being "elitist"?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Revelation

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 24):
Looks like Newt is picking up support from Santorum and most of Perry's supporters. Very interesting because last week Romney had Iowa and NH under his belt, look undefeatable in SC, and virtually unchallenged in the nation

So the worst case for the GOP is unfolding - a long, bloody and costly primary season.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 25):
The Daughters are adding up their take 'for being supportive'... secondly, this is not their mother. The 'supportive Daughters' are from wife #1' obviously not on the best of terns with wife #2 (the one speaking out) because they view her as ruining their mother's marriage, here's the perfect moment to take a swipe at her. But they crafted their words very carefully because someone pointed out to them the 'obvious'... these ex-wives have done thing wrong - at all.

The Wiki link above describes a situation where all the wives seem to have some dirty laundry:
- Wife #1 was Newt's former geometry teacher who married him when she was 26 and he was 19
- Wife #2 was in an affair with Newt while he was married to Wife #1
- Wife #3 was in an affair with Newt while he was married to Wife #2

The same article points out both daughters profit from the father's high profile. One is president of Gingrich Media, the other is a political commentator, so they aren't too likely to criticize him.

The article has one qoute of Newt saying he needs a young and pretty wife if he is to be president, and another place that quotes him as blaming is failed marrage (presumably #2) on the long hours he put in working to improve this country (as opposed to him being simply being unable to control his urges).

Going back to the extended quote from last night's debate:

Quote:

“I am appalled that you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that,” Gingrich said. “Every person in here knows personal pain. Every person in here has had someone close to them go through painful things. To take an ex-wife and make it two days before the primary a significant question for a presidential campaign is as close to despicable as anything I can imagine.”

He continued: “My two daughters wrote the head of ABC and made the point that [the interview] was wrong, that they should pull it, and I am frankly astounded that CNN would take trash like that and use it to open a presidential debate.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71695.html#ixzz1k1XggmQZ

I don't know where I fall on this. I think he's right in challanging the ex's claims. I still find him to be hypocritical to claim he's outraged. He abuses his access to the press just like everyone else. I think he could have come across as being more presidential by just saying that he and his daughters disagree with the ex's claims and let's move on. Him describing the ex-wife's version as trash is just hypocritical stoking of the press that he claims to be so appalled by.

BN747

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 27):
. these ex-wives have done thing wrong - at all.

The Wiki link above describes a situation where all the wives seem to have some dirty laundry:
- Wife #1 was Newt's former geometry teacher who married him when she was 26 and he was 19
- Wife #2 was in an affair with Newt while he was married to Wife #1
- Wife #3 was in an affair with Newt while he was married to Wife #2

True, and correct my 'done nothing wrong at all'...let's say wife#1 is the patron saint, wife #2 (recent interview wife) was the homewrecker towards #1 and current trophy wife Callista is interloper, gold digger extra-ordinaire towards wife #2...sounds like the cast of wives in The Last Emperor.

But nonetheless, this snail trail is all Gingrich's doing ...and his alone. He could have easily said 'no' from the start. But the there's no greater aphrodisiac than power... and I accept and understand that and actual find nothing wrong with it - I'll leave the judging of that to those who rank marriage vows with piety. It's the handling that shows the true character what a person is made of, when I broke up a 6 year relationship I did so face to face and took the heat by saying 'I'm a cheater' - 'Will you stop?' the answer was 'I'd be lying thru my teeth if I said 'yes'. And did so not when she was in the hospital or deathly ill or incapacitated in anyway..but while she was strong firm and focused. Today, we're great friends. Gingrich, with kids, who already knew he was shaping a political future should have been a few leagues above me in the damage control department..instead behaved like the 'welfare street thugs' he likes to trash, cut and ran cheating all the way - and then like the classic scoundrel politician - asked god for forgiveness. Since he lacked teh class to even bother reconciling with either of the past wives...it shows just how insincere his 'forgiveness from god' really is. Every Christian knows you approach the offended to make amends when seeking forgiveness...he had no such intentions, but I bet he wishing about now he did.

The same article points out both daughters profit from the father's high profile. One is president of Gingrich Media, the other is a political commentato

Well they are wholsome loving daughters now..aren't they?

If they (and their paychecks) were suddenly replaced by younger or prettier models like what happened to their mom...I have to wonder how loving and supportive these daughters would be then...

The article has one qoute of Newt saying he needs a young and pretty wife if he is to be president,

He did say that to a confidant. And sadly.. it's true. It wasn't always true, we've had some pretty rough looking first ladies in the past and that was acceptable. But we've grown into a people who are more laser like in our judging and standards based on appearance. If he was carting around a misses as fat and warbbly as he is...he wouldn't have a chance in hell. So current younger trophy wife, Callista keeps people from looking at Leroy's waistline...sometimes.
But as true as his reasoning may be... it's one of those things everyone knows, but DARE NOT actually 'speak the words'...just like Rob Blagojevich, we know political shenanigans, corruption and back room deals are going on, but you don't proclaim 'but everybody's doing it' as a defense.. it leaves you on an island standing alone, while the others watch you die.

and another place that quotes him as blaming is failed marrage (presumably #2) on the long hours he put in working to improve this country (as opposed to him being simply being unable to control his urges).

Yeah, improve the country. He alone is single handedly responsible the hate divide between 'Liberals and Conservatives',,it is all documented in one of hsi fiery speeches when he 1st came on the scene while trying make a name for himself. That divide we know today is Gingrich's personal trademark...he owns that patent.

And I don't buy for a second that he spent many nights thinking up that gem.

BN747

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:13 pm

This is just too much drama. This is fodder for those in the Oprah book club and the women on The View to cackle over.
As Mitt Romney said; let's get on to the important issues.

Gingrich brought up the idea of children working is schools. Do high school students no longer have jobs available at their schools? Back in my day, there were a few students that worked lite secretarial and teacher assistant jobs.
He states that it helps students learn a strong work ethic and earn money. This could be an advantage to students in disadvantage/neglected areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm51_20GEoU&feature=related
Bring back the Concorde

BN747

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 29):
This is just too much drama. This is fodder for those in the Oprah book club and the women on The View to cackle over.

Can't defend him, so might as well re-direct..

This fodder would be to those who dwell where 'character' is meaningless. And then even those shows place great emphasis on individual character - chauvinistic wise cracks aside...women voters aren't to be dismissed, it's exactly how Newt got into this pickle anyway - being dismissive about the female perspective. Just a little attention invested in it .. would have saved him from the humiliation that's building up right now.

Gingrich brought up the idea of children working is schools.

He brought up the idea of poor inner city kids working as janitors in schools.

But wait, this coming from the very same Newt who he himself should have been working while in school (masters and PhD), but he chose to be lazy and let his woman do work. So, we know he's sincere in his suggestions on what poor people's kids should be doing...it really does come from the heart.

He states that it helps students learn a strong work ethic and earn money. This could be an advantage to students in disadvantage/neglected areas.

If it came from someone who meant it. If Gingrich cared about disadvantaged kids as Speaker of the House and Majority leader, he had a decade and a million opportunities before this day to address those realities.. but what did he do instead? Got mad at Bill Clinton for making him sit in the back of Air Force One - and then shut the gov't down because of that. He had time to secretly cheat on his own wife while out of the other side of his mouth.. leading the Moral Attack on Bill Clinton over a BJ.

So forgive those of us who can see through the smoke, Gingrich has no genuine sincere concerns about anything, let alone disadvantaged kids or even bigger, the nation. He had his chance to prove that and failed miserably. His true concerns? Blatantly obvious ...all reserved for one person, himself.

BN747

[Edited 2012-01-20 16:32:51]

Superfly

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:59 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 30):
His true concerns? Blatantly obvious ...all reserved for one person, himself.

Just like the current President.
So I guess they're equal.
Bring back the Concorde

Revelation

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 am

This fodder would be to those who dwell where 'character' is meaningless.

Not sure what you are saying here.

So forgive those of us who can see through the smoke, Gingrich has no genuine sincere concerns about anything, let alone disadvantaged kids or even bigger, the nation. He had his chance to prove that and failed miserably. His true concerns? Blatantly obvious ...all reserved for one person, himself.

I agree. As I said above, I give him some credit for trying to rectify his marital issues, but am more concerned about the hypocracy he's shown with respect to the media and with respect to his attacks on Clinton.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):

Sounds like you should start a separate thread on this.

Mir

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:16 am

It's a perfectly legal method to get around tax laws in the US.

Legal yes. Moral? That's for the electorate to decide. And on that one I'm not so convinced.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 26):
Wasn´t Huntsman critizised for his ability to speak fluent Mandarin (He used to be ambassador in China) and Romney for being able to speak French as being "elitist"?

Don't know about Romney, but Huntsman was criticized for being able to speak Mandarin. Whoever did that is an absolute idiot who either has no idea what Huntsman's previous job was, or thinks that US ambassadors should be crap at their jobs.

I don't know where I fall on this. I think he's right in challanging the ex's claims.

The correct response to the question is "that's a personal matter". If pressed, the correct response is "that's a personal matter, now are we here to talk about me or are we here to talk about solutions to the problems facing this country?"

Blasting the question is uncalled for - Newt plays dirty when it suits him, feigning indignation when it comes the other way makes him look stupid.

Gingrich brought up the idea of children working is schools. Do high school students no longer have jobs available at their schools? Back in my day, there were a few students that worked lite secretarial and teacher assistant jobs.

One of his worst ideas. First of all, the idea that high school students could be qualified to be janitors is ridiculous (yeah, they can mop floors and clean bathrooms, but there's a lot more to janitorial work than that). Secondly, what he's proposing is to take jobs away from people who need them (I very much doubt there are janitors who are janitors for fun - they do it because they have families to feed) and instead give them to people whose real job it is to be a student - anything another than that is nice, but not necessary. And he has the nerve to talk about "job creation"?

I've got no problem with kids taking odd jobs here and there during the school year - that should be encouraged. But not at the expense of people who rely on that income to support their families.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Revelation

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
Legal yes. Moral? That's for the electorate to decide. And on that one I'm not so convinced.
Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
The correct response to the question is "that's a personal matter". If pressed, the correct response is "that's a personal matter, now are we here to talk about me or are we here to talk about solutions to the problems facing this country?"

Rightly or wrongly, the electorate does judge candidates on their personal lives, just as they do on how they conduct their financial affairs.

I think it's hard to vote for a person who says they can successfully lead the country when they can't successfully lead their family in the case where that failure comes from actions on their own part such as adultery.

As said earlier in the thread, the solution was/is simple and we all know it: if you're feeling tempted and want to follow through on that temptation, get the divorce first!

Or, as Gingrich seems to have done, see if your partner will accept an open marriage.

But in this case we should keep in mind that Gingrich was preaching family values to others whilst committing adultery, which again points out what a hypocrite Newt is.

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
Blasting the question is uncalled for - Newt plays dirty when it suits him, feigning indignation when it comes the other way makes him look stupid.

Agree 100%.

Newt's rationalization of attacking Clinton for adultery while he was doing the same thing falls into that category. Newt said he was going after Clinton for the perjury, not the adultery. Baloney! You were going after Clinton to score political points. And there is some evidence that it worked. Gore felt he could not use Clinton to campaign for him because of Clinton's scandals. Clinton feels he could have brought out the Dem vote in a few states that Gore ended up losing such as NH and AL. If that were true, Florida would not have mattered, no hanging chad, no GWB administration, probably no Iraq war, etc.

BN747

Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):

So I guess they're equal.

In a world of pure singularities and where 2 + 1 = 7 and Tea Party Land perhaps.

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
Don't know about Romney, but Huntsman was criticized for being able to speak Mandarin. Whoever did that is an absolute idiot who either has no idea what Huntsman's previous job was, or thinks that US ambassadors should be crap at their jobs.

Exactly, only in America can there exist a collective mindset that takes serious jabs against enhanced skill sets.

Obama would have never been elected if he had an affair and never have got the nomination to begin with. He is the Jackie Robinson of politics.

That last line is an understatement, he current position placed him under a strain 100x greater than Robinson endured. It's a downright right shame that those who should no better, haven't the slightest clue to the occurrence and can only joke about it out of sheer ignorance.

Secondly, in contrast with Gingrich? If Obama had Gingrich's exact personal past - he would have never made it into Congress, Speaker of the House? Not a chance in hell. And that is a prime example of racism at work. It's simply the way it is. If equality were truly realized, both men could swap resumes and the outcomes would be close to identical.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 32):
This fodder would be to those who dwell where 'character' is meaningless.

Not sure what you are saying here.

He called the Gingrich scandal 'fodder'..and I was saying.. This fodder would be exactly 'that ..fodder' to those who dwell where 'character' is meaningless.

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):

One of his worst ideas. First of all, the idea that high school students could be qualified to be janitors is ridiculous (yeah, they can mop floors and clean bathrooms, but there's a lot more to janitorial work than that). Secondly, what he's proposing is to take jobs away from people who need them (I very much doubt there are janitors who are janitors for fun - they do it because they have families to feed) and instead give them to people whose real job it is to be a student - anything another than that is nice, but not necessary. And he has the nerve to talk about "job creation"?

I've got no problem with kids taking odd jobs here and there during the school year - that should be encouraged. But not at the expense of people who rely on that income to support their families.

Aside from those points, no one supporting that silly idea would do it themselves, particularly Gingrich (or anyone here supporting it). But more over, kids are ruthless little bastards these days..just look at youtube. You want more school madness? Put a few kids in janitor jobs and watch the rest make fun and belittle them - everything from fights to one of them coming back to school with an equalizer will be the end result.

People like Gingrich and that idiot who advocated this 'drug testing for welfare recipients' scheme, come up with this crap without lending a shred of detailed thought beyond the silly notion. They're simply pandering for votes of the dividing kind.

BN747

Revelation

Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:50 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 35):
He called the Gingrich scandal 'fodder'..and I was saying.. This fodder would be exactly 'that ..fodder' to those who dwell where 'character' is meaningless.

Got it - thanks!

Revelation

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:16 am

Just heard on my radio, a South Carolinan saying:

Quote:

I'm a Christian, I can't vote for a Mormon!

Lady, it's called "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-Day Saints", for fcuk's sake!

[Edited 2012-01-21 16:18:45]

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:03 am

Being reported that Newt won SC. Gonna be a long primary...

Interestingly enough, for a long time (I think since Reagan) the person that has won SC has won the nomination. So we shall see...

BN747

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 am

Gingrich wins SC, is anyone really stunned?

All Romney had to do was say something about minorities/food stamps and tie Obama to the picture..SC always falls for that stuff, history proves that.

2000 - With Bush vs McCain - McCain's illegitimate black baby (which wasn't true) but it worked like a charm...just as Gingrich did here.

The ones who predicted this:

Michael Tomasky: Newt's Racist Surge May Sink Romney in South Carolina
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...sink-romney-in-south-carolina.html

Ahead of South Carolina Primary, GOP Candidates Employ Race-Baiting Tradition to Win Southern Vote
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/1/2...head_of_south_carolina_primary_gop

Now history's take in the matter

Every GOP Candidate up to George W. Bush has made the pilgrimage to the infamous racist Bob Jones University, it was the 'wink wink' message to telinf SC'nians that 'I'm one of you'. This tradition can be traced all the way back to Reagan going there. Gingich knowing the South as well as he does, knew to employ racist speech versus the visit itself and took SC from Romney.

Romney had better learn how the darkside of the game is played or he's gonna get taken to the wood shed.

But personally, I want Newt as the nominee, the baggage of him being tossed out of the House Speakership for 40 Ethics violatiuons (1st ever) and the other 747F load of baggage is not needed to sink Gingrich.

It's not difficult for Gingrich's head to swell in believing his own hype, so it is his own mouth (which has no kill switch) that will sink his own ship, but I want to see this long awaited debate between Gingrich and the President.

BN747

stasisLAX

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:09 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 39):
But personally, I want Newt as the nominee, the baggage of him being tossed out of the House Speakership for 40 Ethics violatiuons (1st ever) and the other 747F load of baggage is not needed to sink Gingrich.

South Carolina has truly destroyed its 'social conservative' credentials by giving Newt Get-rich a win in today's Republican presidential primary. Let's be clear that I'm all for forgiveness - yet this man is a serial liar. He left his first wife while she was fighting cancer. Cheated on his second wife whilst she suffered from MS. And now he is married to a woman 23 years younger. Not to mention the congressional ethics violations on the 1990's or being ousted by his own Republican Congresspersons as the Speaker of the House of Representatives. And the millions he took as a "historian" consultant for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Newt is a relic from the past with too much baggage, which makes him unelectable as a Presidential candidate. Obama is one very happy man today - because the Republican party is obviously fractured into lots of little special interests and wedge social issues.

Florida is much more moderate state than South Carolina, and I think that Romney is going to rebound from the loss (thanks to his huge super-pac funding, Mittens will have non-stop TV commercials running in the largest media markets in Florida) in South Carolina and win big in Florida.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

StarAC17

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 am

Exactly, only in America can there exist a collective mindset that takes serious jabs against enhanced skill sets.

Very true and in this world today those of us whom only know one language (I can read basic French) are greatly disadvantaged.

Secondly, in contrast with Gingrich? If Obama had Gingrich's exact personal past - he would have never made it into Congress, Speaker of the House? Not a chance in hell. And that is a prime example of racism at work. It's simply the way it is. If equality were truly realized, both men could swap resumes and the outcomes would be close to identical.

Something Chris Rock said in one of his specials "Only the white man can profit from pain." Yes black people can do well and get rich but whatever they are doing it better be positive.

He goes on to list that white people profit on several things that hurt everyone such as: Guns, booze, cigarettes etc.

He also said that a black C student couldn't be the manager at Dairy Queen but a white C student can be president (referring to GWB).

This is an example where racism is at today.

[Edited 2012-01-21 18:16:51]

Superfly

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:09 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 40):
Florida is much more moderate state than South Carolina, and I think that Romney is going to rebound from the loss (thanks to his huge super-pac funding, Mittens will have non-stop TV commercials running in the largest media markets in Florida) in South Carolina and win big in Florida.

True. Gingrich may win only a few more states but Romney ultimately will win the nomination.
Bring back the Concorde

flymia

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:19 am

I think Mitt will win Florida and if he has a decisive victory in FL it might be enough momentum to pull him through.

To all the people saying Newt winning is racism? Save the dumb uninformed comments for a MSNBC board....
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

BN747

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:26 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 43):
To all the people saying Newt winning is racism? Save the dumb uninformed comments for a MSNBC board....

As much as you may dislike history..simply google SC + Bob Jones University + GOP primaries, it's an unbroken historical direct racist tie in to EVERY Presidential Primary since Reagan. Newt and a horde of reporters knew exactly what he was doing.

Just because you say 'it ain't so'..the facts (and history) speaks for themselves. I've yet to see, hear, meet, read about a conservative who came close to even knowing what racism is beyond the atypical 'KKK costume or a Nazi flag'.. and I doubt if A.net can produce one.

BN747

BN747

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:07 am

To all the people saying Newt winning is racism?

"Palestinians are invented People" - Gingrich

"Spanish is a language of the ghetto' - Gingrich

Add Bill Moyers, Georgian Jimmy Carter to that list and there are sooo many news websites calling Gingrich's SC tactics racist it isn't funny, they are all saying it...just look (if you can stomach it).

From the Racist Website StormFront itself:
http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t850025/

Gingrich: "[T]here is a gay and secular fascism in this country that wants to impose its will on the rest of us." On the November 14, 2008, edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, Gingrich stated of Proposition 8 protestors: "I think there is a gay and secular fascism in this country that wants to impose its will on the rest of us.

and fiercely anti-homosexual.

There's no way on earth anyone can be called anything when discussing Gingrich, because Gingrich again, has done all this himself.

If you're gonna try and defend Gingrich, you're gonna have to do a lot better than 'don't listen to people who say..' and 'no he isn't'.

You're gonna have to produce counter measures showing that he isn't.

BN747

StarAC17

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 44):
As much as you may dislike history..simply google SC + Bob Jones University + GOP primaries, it's an unbroken historical direct racist tie in to EVERY Presidential Primary since Reagan. Newt and a horde of reporters knew exactly what he was doing.

Also look up John McCain and illegitimate black baby from 2000 which costed him SC.

Revelation

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 pm

I've read a few references that say by using phrases such as "food stamp President" that Newt was "speaking in code" in order to attack African Americans.

IMHO the irony here is that to recognize this as being code, one would have to be readily capable of forming the same bigoted image in their heads as the intended recipients of that code.

I don't think it's racist to call Obama the food stamp President, there are more whites on food stamps than blacks, and even if a larger percentage of blacks relative to their population are on food stamps, it's hardly a black-only benefit. I do think it's unfair to call Obama the food stamp President because even though more people are on food stamps today than ever, it's been a steady increase over time, so we could equally call Bush the food stamp President, etc.

In any case I feel it does help Newt with his intended audience, which is the Republicans who really don't give a damn about poverty in the US. They are all for cutting spending, but they don't ever say what they would do with poor people, because in their minds it's just not their problem.

The results, by the numbers:

40% Newt Gingrich (R)
28% Mitt Romney (R)
17% Rick Santorum (R)
13% Ron Paul (R)
1% Herman Cain (R)

Interesting to me at least how Newt won by 12 points, and Santorum has a strong enough showing to play a spoiler role. After FL the primaries are proportional and not winner takes all, so whomever comes in third can be king-maker come convention time.

[Edited 2012-01-22 06:24:06]

BN747

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 47):
I don't think it's racist to call Obama the food stamp President, there are more whites on food stamps than blacks, and even if a larger percentage of blacks relative to their population are on food stamps, it's hardly a black-only benefit.

To be precise, 59 % of recipients are white and 28% are black. But the 'food stamp/public assistance' stigmatizing of blacks has racist roots dating back to 1960s. It's not a matter of if I think it is or isn't, or what any of us think... it's historical reference as a negative connotation has remained in place as a wedge issue and identified as so since. This may seem 'new' to younger generations, but nope, just like 1960s and 70s movies (and news clips) portrayed blacks as the biggest drug dealers and users (also not true) - whites went heroine/opium crazy in the 1920s. By 1950s, weed/marijuana had become ubiquitous as the drug of choice - and still is as the majority of Americans today do participate illicit drug use. The remaining numbers are in some form attached to prescription drug usage..the nation is hooked. Nonetheless, the stigmatizing of blacks as the 'drug dealers and users' still remains in places as the blame was placed squarely on them by media (news/tv/film) portrayal since the 1960s. This was largely also due to efforts by the FBI/J. Edgar Hoover to slowdown or stop domestic sympathizing of the black plight. The program was known as operation COINTELPRO.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO

...calling Blacks 'communist', just wasn't working , sticking or getting the desired effect ..so they had to be demonized another way. Hoover saw MLK as far bigger/greater threat than Organized Crime in America. And when politicians saw this wide-spreading belief starting to take hold..they seized it as a wedge issue as more and more blacks were coming into the voting ranks. So as politicians of late get tagged for such racist usage of old stigmatizing terms..and recently, they've backed away from doing so..but the resurgence came when Obama was elected. A new younger generation did not 'get' or understand where these odd comments were coming from (the Obama/blacks watermelon jokes, etc).. they were totally clueless what this was all about - some still are. But it has historical references to it's origins..just as the whole food stamp nonsense does.

The 'percentage' of blacks on public assistance is larger than the percentage of whites, but are blacks the 1st hired at any jobs? No. The saying that's been around about blacks are 'the last hired..first fired'...and this type of economy, you do the math.

Not unless an Affirmative action decree or quota system is in place. Other than that, still in many places a white face is preferred over a black or brown one. But those situations are, I believe, becoming less and less in many places across the country.

The Justice System has been intentional extremely unfair to minorities and truth in sentencing drug laws are still unjust...and yet those walking around believing everything is equal... thinks that the disproportionate number of incarcerated minorities has nothing to do racism in the enforcement of laws - when could be further from the truth. But politicians seize these situations and in front of 'certain crowds' employ them for political exploits...particularly those in the GOP in certain parts of the country.

So your viewpoint of 'seeing usage' of these terms as racist or not are not really yours or mine to call.. the historical applications speak for themselves, seriously, just Google up 'SC primaries racism' and watch how virtually all the media is calling Gingrich on this ( as if that's necessary, his past is littered with it). In fact, you can search it out on every election cycle going back to Reagan and beyond and see for yourself how thick and dripping in racism it was. Racism can be intellectualized as well, it .. like everything else, doesn't have to remain in that same 'recognizable state'. If someone is really good at it (as is Newt), they can spin it all around you and you'd have no clue you're standing among it's ranks or that it is being employed...because being unaware of it's historical trek along with slight modifications renders it as undetectable. It's a very useful tool when certain types of people are always available to be patronized...even the unsuspecting.

Everyone wants to think they know it when they see it or hear, but you then must then ask yourself 'how well versed are you on it's history?' ... if that answer is rather just on a superficial level, then you know where you stand.

I've read a few references that say by using phrases such as "food stamp President" that Newt was "speaking in code" in order to attack African Americans.

There's more than a few, it's all over the web and rightly so. And that's exactly what he was doing while pandering to divisive elements.

In any case I feel it does help Newt with his intended audience, which is the Republicans who really don't give a damn about poverty in the US. They are all for cutting spending, but they don't ever say what they would do with poor people, because in their minds it's just not their problem.

Very true, why do you think it is always GOP initiatives to employ 'voting restrictions' at least 15 states (all GOP led) have or are trying to instill voter ID or place restrictions on access to the polls. They want less participation..not more. The idea is if the poor are stressed out enough, they won't bother to show up- and that helps them. Have we really reach the point where we want eliminate people from voting just so we can win? That's pretty pathetic.

BN747

[Edited 2012-01-22 07:36:49]

Mir

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:33 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 34):
As said earlier in the thread, the solution was/is simple and we all know it: if you're feeling tempted and want to follow through on that temptation, get the divorce first!

Wouldn't have helped him in my mind - if you're all about defending the sanctity of marriage (i.e. the life-long commitment you make to someone), you'd better hold up your end of that commitment. And that precludes divorcing to go marry someone else.

I don't think it's racist to call Obama the food stamp President

That's not racist, no. Gingrich's claim that he'd go to the NAACP and explain why paychecks are better than food stamps, on the other hand, is borderline racist.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day