desertjets
Topic Author

Tipping Ettiquette -- Movers

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:08 pm

So I have a move coming up in a few days and to save my back I've hired a mover. Its a pretty simple in-town move and the guy quoted me for 3 hours -- they work at a flat hourly rate for 2 guys, truck, supplies, insurance, etc.....

Question is, is it appropriate or should I tip the moving crew. And if so how much?

By all accounts this should be fairly easy for them, all locations are easily accessible for their truck, all are on the ground floor.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

redflyer

RE: Tipping Ettiquette -- Movers

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

I've never tipped movers, and I've moved often in my adult life. The problem with tipping movers is that a week later when you're unpacking some expensive household items you may find the movers broke it. Or worse, stole it.

However, what I have done is provide them with refreshments and meals, and the refreshments have always included an ice cold beer for everyone when they were done.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Ken777

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:31 pm

When I look at workers like that I consider how well they worked (sometimes that means intelligently, not the level of sweat), how helpful they were when various issues, how well we interacted, etc.

Many times I'll join in the effort, to learn just because I can. I've even been know to help the trash guys load up the truck when I have a lot. You'd be amazed at how appreciative they are - especially when they are understaffed. The "tip" comes at Christmas. In PER we would leave a bottle of beer. Here I give them $20 or so to "buy lunch".

If the movers do a great job I'd go $20 each, and if they were poor I'd keep the money.

zckls04

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:32 pm

I tipped 20 bucks for each mover the last time I did it (3 movers, bill was $500 so I paid $560).

However there were 3 flights of narrow stairs involved and a lot of tricky furniture. For a ground floor move I might have halved that.
Four Granavox Turbines!

andz

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 pm

Movers charge so much here they can suck it for a tip.

Tipping is for waiters and bar staff. That's it. The rubbish guys try their luck at Christmas but that's what municipal rates are for.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Tugger

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm

When I moved within the city I live in (about 20miles away) it filled an entire 40' trailer and took two + one guys all day (the third assisted for a couple hours in the morning to get things wrapped etc.and then helped again for the last few hours). They showed up on time and started at 7:30am, and finished by 6:30pm. They didn't unpack everything but put everything in the rooms they belongs.

I tipped them $100, I gave it to the "lead" guy and he in turn gave one guy $30 and the other guy $40. They were nice, clean, and very helpful.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

varigb707

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 5):
tipped them $100,

Nice! Or a $20 spot to each one.
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

desertjets
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Personally I was thinking giving a $20 to the movers so they could buy lunch (I have the AM slot with them it seems). It doesn't seem like it is required, but on one hand it seems like a polite thing to do but this moving stuff is already costing enough money upfront and I'd rather by myself lunch w/ that $20.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 3):
However there were 3 flights of narrow stairs involved and a lot of tricky furniture. For a ground floor move I might have halved that.

Thankfully nothing that difficult is involved... if it was I'd be more willing to tip more generously too.

Quoting tugger (Reply 5):
When I moved within the city I live in (about 20miles away) it filled an entire 40' trailer and took two + one guys all day (the third assisted for a couple hours in the morning to get things wrapped etc.and then helped again for the last few hours). They showed up on time and started at 7:30am, and finished by 6:30pm. They didn't unpack everything but put everything in the rooms they belongs.

Wow, that's a pretty big move. I don't think we'd even fill up half of the 26' truck they will be using.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

aa61hvy

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 pm

I tip $20 per person. Once I had a guy do the entire unload and unpack by himself. He got himself a healthy $250 tip.
Go big or go home

PacNWjet

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 am

Quoting redflyer (Reply 1):
IThe problem with tipping movers is that a week later when you're unpacking some expensive household items you may find the movers broke it. Or worse, stole it.

As cynical as this may sound, this is why for those who are so inclined it is suggested to tip movers before they start moving stuff, not after.

BlueElephant

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 am

Agree with the above.

I also had 3 guys and a truck come to help me move a 1 bedroom apt. worth of furniture. They did a good job.

I gave each of them a $20 dollar bill.

redflyer

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting PacNWJet (Reply 9):
Quoting redflyer (Reply 1):
IThe problem with tipping movers is that a week later when you're unpacking some expensive household items you may find the movers broke it. Or worse, stole it.

As cynical as this may sound, this is why for those who are so inclined it is suggested to tip movers before they start moving stuff, not after.

That's a good point, but let's face it: it's no guarantee that they will do a better job. And I would hate to tip them up front and still find a broken or stolen item. (Now who is sounding cynical??)
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Revelation

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 10):
I gave each of them a $20 dollar bill.

Yes, I did the same the last time I did a move.

I happened to go out for an errand right after the move, and saw the moving truck parked at the local convenience store, and the lead mover coming out carrying a six pack of 20 oz Buds!  

Oh well, I hope the rest of it went to food!  
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

jfk69

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I moved into a house about 15 miles away from my 3 bed apartment. We filled 2 26' trucks. There were 3 guys and a foreman. I gave each worker $40 right as they walked through the door and told them Lunch and more to follow. When they were done I gave the foreman $100 and each guy got another $20.

Guess what?? Nothing broken!!!

To
Insure
Proper
Service.........It works

stasisLAX

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:33 am

When I moved from Philadelphia to Scottsdale, AZ, my ex-employer paid the relocation costs. The 2 movers packed everything in my condo in King of Prussia, the car carrier company came and picked up my Pontiac, and I tipped the movers $100 (since they had to wrap and box all of my possessions) and I tipped the car carrier driver $50 bucks and asked him to take good care of my car.

When a different set of 3 movers delivered by possessions to my new townhouse in Scottsdale about 10 days later, I tipped them 20 bucks each, gave them lots of cold drinks and fed them lunch. I also took care of checking items off the manifest list as things came through the front door. Nothing was broken outside of one glass bowl - and my car was also delivered via the car carrier service without any damage - and the driver had taken time to wash my car to get all of the road grime off it. Excellent service overall.

[Edited 2012-01-27 17:35:15]

[Edited 2012-01-27 17:39:41]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

FlyboyOz

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:32 am

Of course! Don't be selfish. Help others.

After we finished moving, we did pay two movers - price and tips. One of the guys said that he was very happy with extra money and nobody has never given to him in the past.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

sbworcs

Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:59 am

Whilst I appreciate that it is nice to tip people - where does it stop? I work in a department where I am constantly having to go out of my way to help people sort out pay, tax, queries etc. often ending up with them receiving back pay or owed monies - should I get tips?

What about customer service over the telephone - should they get tips?

I understand in the catering, restaurant business etc as they are on low pay but if you have paid good money for the service already - why the need to tip?

Personally I think that you should have to tip in advance to get good service speak volumes about the people you are dealing with.
The best way forwards is upwards!