EY460
Topic Author

Suggestions For An On-line Course

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:08 am

Hello fellow a.netters, I am recovering from a motorbike accident and basically I have nothing to do for the next two or three months. Since I don't want to completely waste this time, I was planning to some sort of on-line course, something which can help in the future for a job. Since I'm planning to move to the UK or Australia once I'm back on my feet, I'd like to do something which is recognised in these two countries.

Like many of us here, my dream is to find a job in the aviation industry but I haven't been lucky so far. Last year I completed a Master of Transport Management at the University of Sydney and I'm looking now for an on-line course in one of these areas:

- An advanced English language course (my English is OK but there is always more to learn);
- A Personal Trainer Course (I know that this sounds strange especially because I am walking with crutches right now, but gym and fitness is also a passion of mine and I could turn this into a hobby/part-time job);
- Some sort of Aviation Operations/Management course.

Any suggestion for a course in these or other areas is more than welcome!

flyingturtle

RE: Suggestions For An On-line Course

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am

Hello!

Recently I came across http://andrewgelman.com/2012/01/advi...on-do-it-yourself-stats-education/ , but it refers to statistics. In the comments, a free (online?) course is mentioned. Statistics may help you getting a job in ops/management.

Well, staying at home several months after an accident... I'd hate it. Get well soon.  

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

EY460
Topic Author

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi David, thank you for the suggestion. However, I already took two statistical units of study during my Master degree so I'm pretty covered there.

signol

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:46 pm

The Open University (www.open.ac.uk) has plenty of courses, though they can be expensive. I don't know anyone who's done them, but a friend is a lecturer on Creative Writing courses - distance learning, they do study weekends as well. Obviously it is recognised in the UK!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

OA260

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 3):
The Open University (www.open.ac.uk) has plenty of courses, though they can be expensive.

They are excellent. My late Grandmother did one years ago . She kept studying until she was in her 70's. For her it was to keep her busy . I might look to do one in a few years time.

EY460
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:44 am

Thanks guys, I had a look at the Open University and they are offering several nice undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Since I already have a Master degree, I was looking for something shorter. I know that having two Master degrees is not a bad thing but completing another degree is going to take too long.

signol

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI