rjm777ual
Topic Author

President Obama Praises 787

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:05 pm

On boeing.com, president Obama toured the UA 787, and had good things to say about it, along with the employees.

http://www.boeing.com/Features/2012/02/bca_potus_vid.html
Greetings from Dulles!

VC10er

RE: President Obama Praises 787

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Of all of President Obama's comments I found the one..."and it looks cool" as my favorite. I believe Obama was referred to as "President in Geek" early in his tenure after quoting Star Trek and seeing Leonard Nimoy in a crowd and flashing him the Vulcan salute to be totally in line with Obama's "geekness" as he noted it's next gen look and to mention how cool it does indeed look.
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

rwy04lga

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:31 pm

I saw this live on CNN yesterday morning. Pleasant surprise.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

fsnuffer

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Would have been cool if he visited the Boeing 787 plant in South Carolina

0newair0

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Quoting fsnuffer (Reply 5):

I doubt he would EVER step foot in that plant.
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

bobnwa

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Quoting 0NEWAIR0 (Reply 4):
I doubt he would EVER step foot in that plant.

OK I'll bite, why won't he set foot in the South Carolina plant

aerlingusa330

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting fsnuffer (Reply 3):

Yes, I agree. However, he would never go there, despite the fact that it brought thousands of jobs to the Charleston area. Instead, throw a few grand more in fuel for AF1 and go out to Seattle, where there are unions.

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 5):

He'd never go there because it's a Right-to-Work state. He'd be criticized by his union supporters if he were to ever do that. Shows were the guy's motives are pretty clearly.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

VZLA787

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Because the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) is trying to close Boeing's factory in South Carolina due to the use of non-union labor. Remember, organized labor is one of the main contributors of Obama's campaign.

roseflyer

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting VZLA787 (Reply 8):

Because the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) is trying to close Boeing's factory in South Carolina due to the use of non-union labor. Remember, organized labor is one of the main contributors of Obama's campaign.

That issue was taken care of when Boeing promised to build the MAX in Renton and the IAM union accepted a contract extension. Boeing still has their engineering union needing a new contract next year, but compared to the IAM, they are easy.

Quoting md80fanatic (Reply 6):
Methinks everything this man says is for political expediency only.

Well Boeing has a very high profit margin for a manufacturing company in the US, high revenue growth, and is by far the largest US exporter. When you take it out of A vs B context, Boeing is a company that Obama and Americans should be proud about. It along with agriculture and the semiconductor industry help protect the trade deficit from being even worse. Boeing one of the companies that bring hard currency into the United States instead of out of it should be something that the president supports.

The 787 has its problems, but so do every plane. I think the cheesy compliments of the airplane were there for the person more interested in politics than airplanes. He was really praising the company's ability to work with labor in the United States and earn a profit doing it.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BD338

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting md80fanatic (Reply 6):
Methinks everything this man says is for political expediency only.

...like every other politician in the world...

That said, he was hardly going to turn up at a Boeing plant and say, "hey, come this thing is years late, delaminating in service and can't go as far as you said" was he?

Let's hope Boeing can quickly sort out the early in service issues and get this beauty performing smoothly for many decades to come.

fxramper

Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Pretty cool flight path.

DocLightning

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Quoting aerlingusa330 (Reply 7):

He'd never go there because it's a Right-to-Work state.

We're getting OT, but the other issue is that SC's political establishment is rather hostile to Obama. He'll get a rather warmer reception in liberal Seattle (and surrounds).

Remember, organized labor is one of the main contributors of Obama's campaign.

Yup. But Boeing donates heavily, too. It's important to note that while a major corporation like Boeing or GM may favor one candidate over another, they will donate heavily to both so as to curry favor, no matter which candidate wins. On the corporate level, B might prefer Romney, I guarantee they are donating heavily to both.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

cmf

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Because the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) is trying to close Boeing's factory in South Carolina due to the use of non-union labor.

How about a fact check before posting drivel.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

jetjack74

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Quoting cmf (Reply 14):
Because the NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) is trying to close Boeing's factory in South Carolina due to the use of non-union labor.

How about a fact check before posting drivel.

While the post above overall is off the mark, the NLRB, in conjunction with Obama and the DOJ, they were doing everything they could to stop the SC plant from happening, once they found it was going to be a non-union workforce.
Made from jets!

tommy767

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Methinks Boeing, general electric, and united airlines are all in bed with the Obama administration....

(throws up on keyboard)
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

SA7700

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Unfortunately this thread has been turned into a political debate and will be moved to the non-aviation forum.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

cmf

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 13):
While the post above overall is off the mark, the NLRB, in conjunction with Obama and the DOJ, they were doing everything they could to stop the SC plant from happening, once they found it was going to be a non-union workforce.

That too is factually wrong. They never asked for SC to be shut down. They asked for a permanent second line in Washington.

To remedy the alleged unfair labor practices, the Acting General Counsel seeks an order that would require Boeing to maintain the second production line in Washington state. The complaint does not seek closure of the South Carolina facility, nor does it prohibit Boeing from assembling planes there.
Source: NLRB

ssteve

Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 13):
the NLRB, in conjunction with Obama and the DOJ,

The "in conjuction" part's wrong, too. As I said in another thread, Breitbart went fishing for NLRB emails with an FOIA request, and found absolutely no evidence that the NLRB was acting at the behest of the White House.

And I have no idea how the DOJ is supposed to factor in. Because they weren't involved at all, as far as I can tell.

Superfly

Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 am

Quoting fsnuffer (Reply 3):

He would revisit the Solyndra plant before stepping foot at CHS.

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 14):
Methinks Boeing, general electric, and united airlines are all in bed with the Obama administration....

General Electric paid ZERO taxes, outsourced jobs to China and Obama brings on their CEO Jeffrey Immelt as his jobs czar!
Bring back the Concorde

soon7x7

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 18):
CEO Jeffrey Immelt as his jobs czar!

Which is illegal!...Obama could care less about most everything. Does anyone here think he even has knowledge of 787 aircraft nor does he desire too? This, the same man that now wants to reduce the US nuclear stockpile to 300 units while rogue nations around the world are beefing up their programs...Good timing!...The man is intentionally trying to gut this nation like a fresh caught fish. Why does the PRESS sit silent on this issue?...    Oh...stupid me...he owns them too. Think Einstein wrote this...it is most profound..."I know not the weapons of World War Three, but I can assure you that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones"...

Superfly

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:41 am

Quoting soon7x7 (Reply 19):
Which is illegal!...Obama could care less about most everything.

The Constitution be damned is his attitude.

This, the same man that now wants to reduce the US nuclear stockpile to 300 units while rogue nations around the world are beefing up their programs...Good timing!...The man is intentionally trying to gut this nation like a fresh caught

His excuse is that America was evil years ago and these other poor nations just want nukes to power their homes....  
Why does the PRESS sit silent on this issue?...

They're still in love with this man. They're still caught up with the idea of him being a historical President and will trash anyone that criticizes him.
Bring back the Concorde

ssteve

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:58 pm

I guess the last two posts left everyone else speechless, too.

cargolex

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 21):

Yup. I honestly don't know where they come up with those conclusions. The Weekly World News closed down in 2007.

[Edited 2012-02-21 12:04:25]

slider

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Nope. Supe's on the money. The NLRB, at Obama's direction, is improperly interfering with a private company's rightful business decision.

Be grateful Boeing isn't going offshore. Only this administration would be hostile to job creation (as long as they're UNION jobs, that is) when unemployment is once again breaking over 9%, not including underemployed and those who stopped looking.

cargolex

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 23):
Only this administration would be hostile to job creation (as long as they're UNION jobs, that is) when unemployment is once again breaking over 9%, not including underemployed and those who stopped looking.

The administration is not hostile to Boeing or to job creation.

But here's something that isn't factored in to the growth of jobs in right-to-work states like South Carolina - those jobs are poached from other states - not from overseas. Yes, they are lower cost jobs, but they also produce workers who must rely more heavily on government services and get progressively less compensation than the workers in other areas of the country who "cost more."

The result is degradation of the working and middle classes all over the country even if the number of jobs remains even. The investors and the corporations make more, while those who do the actual work make less. I'm not sure why we should pretend that shuffling jobs from one state to another while simultaneously lowering the wages and benefits of those jobs is a good thing, because it isn't. It might keep the numbers up, but it's a slow degradation rather than a quick one. It's still a step down.

[Edited 2012-02-21 12:12:27]

ssteve

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 23):
The NLRB, at Obama's direction

Nope.

GuitrThree

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting cmf (Reply 16):
That too is factually wrong. They never asked for SC to be shut down. They asked for a permanent second line in Washington.

WHO CARES?? What gives the US government any right to start asking any company to keep lines open based on the fact that they want to move. Listen carefully, it is their company and if they want to move it to where-ever-the-hell-they-want it should be their right. It is certainly not the NLRB's right to tell them no or make demands. You might read this as "they never said no, they just asked the second line in Seattle remain," but really. Are you that clueless? That means "NO, YOU CAN'T OPEN SC UNLESS YOU DO WHAT WE TELL YOU TO DO."

Think of it this way, next time you want to move to a bigger/better house outside of a city where the taxes are lower, do you think the current city you live in can say you must maintain your present house to buy another in a separate location? Of course not. Screw the NLRB and the Unions. I say if any company can build the same product in another state let them. It's amazing how people continue to back this President. Sooner or later he's going to step on your toes and I'll just sit back an laugh at you for being so naive.
Next time Boeing might just shift production to Mexico or somewhere similar based on this incident. King Obama can do nothing to stop it and how are you going to defend that?? I'm sure you'll still have some lame excuse to protect "The One."

Look at the companies from overseas locating to the South East US. BMW, Nissan, Hyundai, VW, ETC. Nissan just announced a new line of Infinit JX cars in the Smyrna TN plant and THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE lined up for the second-shift jobs. And you know what? No union at all. Why? Because people here realize the fact that they can get a good, well paying job while not paying the Union Thugs dues who do nothing but pass the profits to Obama and the Democrats.

Maybe one of these days Ford, Chrysler, and GM might catch a clue. I give Boeing all the credit in the world for trying.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

GuitrThree

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 am

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 24):
But here's something that isn't factored in to the growth of jobs in right-to-work states like South Carolina - those jobs are poached from other states - not from overseas. Yes, they are lower cost jobs, but they also produce workers who must rely more heavily on government services and get progressively less compensation than the workers in other areas of the country who "cost more."

The result is degradation of the working and middle classes all over the country even if the number of jobs remains even. The investors and the corporations make more, while those who do the actual work make less.

Wow. You're delusional. Might want to go check you're data. While Boeing workers in SC might make less than those in Seattle, they have a much lower cost of living. As in my last post, THOUSANDS of people lined up for $15-$20/hour second-shift jobs at Nissan in Smyrna TN. Why? Unlike the high cost of union filled cities, you can live on that here. While I agree SC and other South East States might use more government resources than the contribute to, that doesn't mean everyone in those states are a drag on society. You can easily make a living on these wages here. Sounds like you fell for yet another Union Lie.

Sooner or later so many companies will be here in the south you will see a shift to these states using less and less resources and becoming positive contributors to the overall US government tax system.

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 27):
Wow. You're delusional.

Well, you can feel free to call me delusional if you want, but you've just told me that one set of workers will make less than another set of workers in the same country for doing the same job, which more or less proves my point.

Capitalism doesn't only serve corporations. Individual workers need to be capitalists too - and demand the most out of their labor. That's why unions exist, so that workers can, in fact, better negotiate a return for their work, just as a car dealer negotiates a price with you for a better return on his work, and the car company negotiates a price with the dealer for their work.

Frankly, it's irrelevant that the cost of living is lower in South Carolina than in Washington which, honestly I think is a debatable point. The Cost of living is much lower than either in, say, Wichita.

THOUSANDS of people lined up for $15-$20/hour second-shift jobs at Nissan in Smyrna TN. Why?

Because they cannot get work elsewhere, or are unwilling to move to places that pay higher wages. I can't say I blame some of them, it isn't easy to uproot yourself and move elsewhere. And they've been conditioned to hear that unions are somehow bad, when in fact, a Union could put more money in their pocket, and isn't that the nature of capitalism? Get more for your product?

You can easily make a living on these wages here. Sounds like you fell for yet another Union Lie.

If it's a lie, why are you confirming it to be true? I'm telling you that those jobs migrate to places that pay less and that that is an overall drain on jobs and resources. And you're telling me that yes, in fact, it is.

Sooner or later so many companies will be here in the south you will see a shift to these states using less and less resources and becoming positive contributors to the overall US government tax system.

That's not correct.

Most of those companies are lured there by huge tax breaks, which means they pay little into the tax system for setting up shop there. Then the workers make less money, which means less money going into the tax system. They still require the same amount of care and have the same issues - but without good benefits, they'll be increasingly likely to rely on the system for those benefits. It is no secret that despite not having the highest population of any geographic region, the southern states have the highest medicaid costs, and the some of the highest rates of poverty and hunger, and generally receive far more than they give in terms of taxes.

And again, nationally, paying workers less means that the overall income of the working and middle classes either stagnates or declines overall. The cost of living for local things might be lower in South Carolina, but buying a Truck? That costs the same all over. Workers paid less by corporations paying fewer or no taxes because of where they set up - that's just a recipe for decline.

Now as for unions, do you like working 16 hour days? Working on the weekend? How about working with the door locked from the outside? No? Thank unions that you don't have to.

The factories set up in the south that are intentionally non-union weaken the bargaining power of all workers, for good or ill, resulting in lower wages and lower benefits. And guess what - there's always cheaper labor in Vietnam. And eventually poeple in Vietnam will face labor competition from people in Botswana or Turkmenistan or some other place. Ask anybody who worked in the furniture industry - once a cornerstone of industry in the Carolinas.

I don't really understand the constant vilifying of unions and the insistence on going back to a time when there were no unions. We have very good historical data on what that was like, and it was not better for ordinary people.

cmf

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 26):
Listen carefully, it is their company and if they want to move it to where-ever-the-hell-they-want it should be their right. It is certainly not the NLRB's right to tell them no or make demands.

No, you listen carefully. When you enter in to a contract you need to fulfill your commitments. Even when that commitment is that you will not move jobs as retaliation for a strike you do not like but have agreed is the right of your employees.

Boeing's management was stupid stating the strike as part of the reason for going outside Washington. Simple as that. Don't try to put the blame somewhere it doesn't belong.

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:56 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 26):
Next time Boeing might just shift production to Mexico or somewhere similar based on this incident.

Very true. In fact, Boeing could have easily moved to Canada, Brasil, China and even Russia. Those countries can build airplanes too.
I wasn't a fan of the CHS plant but I understand why Boeing did it. I'm happy they're keep jobs in the United States.

A bit off topic but was Solyndra employees unionized......?
Bring back the Concorde

FlyPNS1

Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Not likely. As fast as these states gain new jobs, they are constantly shedding other jobs. Ironically, despite having low labor costs and being "business friendly", South Carolina has unemployment that is higher than most of the country.

And with such low wages, these folks will still contribute little toward federal taxes. Consider that someone making $15-20/hr supporting a family of four would pay virtually nothing in Federal withholding.

PPVRA

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 28):
Well, you can feel free to call me delusional if you want, but you've just told me that one set of workers will make less than another set of workers in the same country for doing the same job, which more or less proves my point.

And what is the problem with that? Nothing unfair about it, it's called competition. Let's not forget that the new set of workers is also inexperienced and their wages will reflect this for a while.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 32):

And what is the problem with that?

Not everybody wants to live an anarchic Ayn-Rand inspired universe where the workers are all chasing the lowest possible wage just for a chance to feed themselves. If they can get to work at all, that is, since there are no roads or police in that world.

Perhaps one of the reasons why Obama went to Boeing is that he is President of all of those people - those in Washington, those in South Carolina, and everywhere else in our country. For the President or any national official, transferring jobs from one state to another so that overall the workers make less and less economic activity happens overall is not good for the country or the economy. It may be good for the people in that state where the new jobs are, but in the macro sense, this "competition" is a sort of slow self-devouring of wages overall.

Once all industrial work is in right-to-work states, those workers will have no bargaining power at all, and the workers in the other states will have to find some other kind of work. That may be good for lowering costs to manufacturers, but it's bad for all the workers - and once they are in a degraded economic position, they are not as good at being consumers or taxpayers either, because they don't have the resources.

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 33):

So what is your opinion about General Electric moving jobs to China, killing jobs in Wisconsin and Maytag closing a factory in Newton, Iowa only to open up in Mexico?
Is that a better move than Boeing?
Bring back the Concorde

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
Is that a better move than Boeing?

I didn't say it was. But I'm don't think taking jobs away from one part of the country to give them to another because you want workers overall to have fewer options and make less overall is something to be happy about. Particularly when looked at in conjunction with total opposition to any government program at all that might take some of the burden off of business' employee cost - such as a universal healthcare system.

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 35):
But I'm don't think taking jobs away from one part of the country to give them to another because you want workers overall to have fewer options and make less overall is something to be happy about.

That was the whole purpose of our republic. 50 states that set up their own laws and attract jobs, people, tourism, manufacturing, education, etc. We all learned this in 4th grade. All 50 states have a Lieutenant Governor that acts as a Commerce Secretary of some sort to lure business. It's up to businesses to decide if they want to move and set up shop in another state.
I'm not a fan of the move to South Carolina either but I understand their reason for doing it. I wasn't happy to see Boeing discontinue the 717 but I understand the economic reasons why they did it.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 31):
these folks will still contribute little toward federal taxes.

Washington needs to control their spending.
Bring back the Concorde

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 36):
That was the whole purpose of our republic.

No it wasn't.

50 states that set up their own laws and attract jobs, people, tourism, manufacturing, education, etc.

Our country is one country, not fifty countries loosely organized into an EU type deal.

All 50 states have a Lieutenant Governor that acts as a Commerce Secretary of some sort to lure business. It's up to businesses to decide if they want to move and set up shop in another state.

If you think only in terms of what happens in your state, this is a valid approach. But what we're talking about is the overall economic health of the country. These strategies - keeping job numbers up but bringing jobs of equal number but lower quality and wages in some states while taking them away in others, that is merely robbing peter to pay paul.

Yes, it is up to businesses to determine what state they want to set up shop in. However, that business has to determine what the impact is overall. We should not be celebrating the lowering of wages across the board for doing the same or more work. Now aspects of that can be argued to be a fact of life - but I'm not sure why we would encourage it.

In the case of the NLRB, a legit complaint was brought - and acted upon - until the complainant withdrew it. Business are not free to act independent of the law.

Washington needs to control their spending.

An extremely simplistic answer which does not acknowledge the fact that simply cutting spending to fix our debt problem is a mathematical impossibility.

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 37):
We should not be celebrating the lowering of wages

Who's celebrating?

An extremely simplistic answer which does not acknowledge the fact that simply cutting spending to fix our debt problem is a mathematical impossibility.

Printing money and spending 8 times what you bring in certainly isn't helping either.

Our country is one country, not fifty countries loosely organized into an EU type deal.

Many companies have moved to different states. Why did Obama get involved with Boeing's internal affairs?
In the end, it was nothing more than political posturing because the CHS plant is going forward.
All of those White House visits by Andy Stern didn't help out at all.
Bring back the Concorde

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):
Why did Obama get involved with Boeing's internal affairs?

He didn't. Obama does not pick and choose what the NLRB does, and if even Andrew Brietbart couldn't find a link, then I would suggest to you that you should acknowledge that there isn't one.

All of those White House visits by Andy Stern didn't help out at all.

There's no causal link in here anywhere unless you're a big fan of conspiracy theories.

Printing money and spending 8 times what you bring in certainly isn't helping either.

So you would support raising taxes, yes?

[Edited 2012-02-22 10:37:33]

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 39):

No conspiracy theories. Just calling it as I see it.
An Obama appointee is now asking a judge to order Boeing to relocate all 787 Dreamliner production to Washington state. Obama is caught up in this and can't run from it.

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 39):
So you would support raising taxes, yes?

Cut spending and simplify the tax code. If some people's taxes go up, so be it. I prefer a flat tax.
Cut wasteful spending such as aid to China to 'teach them how to be Green', $800,000 to teach tribal men in Africa how to wash their balls, Million$ of tax dollars going to set up green companies that go bankrupt within 14 months (Solyndra), aid to an 'ally' that continue to build settlements that further fuels the fire in an already turbulent region, getting involved in wars than only empower jihadist, etc.
So much wasteful spending can be cut.
Bring back the Concorde

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):
No conspiracy theories. Just calling it as I see it.

You do tend to see them, and attribute MANY things to Obama that make other people shake their heads.

An Obama appointee is now asking a judge to order Boeing to relocate all 787 Dreamliner production to Washington state. Obama is caught up in this and can't run from it.

Okay, he's an Obama appointee. Anthony Kennedy is a Reagan appointee, but he doesn't generally vote the way conservative Republicans would like him to vote. Vaughn Walker, the guy who decided prop 8, was a Reagan and then an HW Bush appointee.

You are now suggesting that because an Obama appointee is dealing with a case that this appointee is acting at the personal behest of Obama and therefore there is no independent judiciary. It's an absurd claim.

Much like:

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
His excuse is that America was evil years ago and these other poor nations just want nukes to power their homes....

and...

They're still in love with this man. They're still caught up with the idea of him being a historical President and will trash anyone that criticizes him.

and...

The Constitution be damned is his attitude.

and...

$800,000 to teach tribal men in Africa how to wash their balls,

And more...

getting involved in wars than only empower jihadist,

Which President was that again?

I understand you don't like Obama, and that's fine. But you're so far out on a limb with these kinds of things, you're practically falling out of the tree. Nearly all of these things that you're saying, they're just not true.

I think I'd like to get back to talking about why Obama visited the plant again:

He's the President of the United States. Boeing is the number one exporter in the United States. Though there's lots of histrionics in here about the CHS deal and NLRB, the Obama administration has also been a strong booster of Boeing with the WTO and has helped Boeing's position around the world by trade deals, particularly the latest one with South Korea. He's the President of ALL Americans and all American companies, and honestly, it's entirely appropriate for him to have visited the factory.

[Edited 2012-02-22 11:26:29]

Superfly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 41):
I understand you don't like Obama, and that's fine. But you're so far out on a limb with these kinds of things, you're practically falling out of the tree. Nearly all of these things that you're saying, they're just not true.

I'm not making this up. You can verify all of the about. Keep on shaking your head if you must.

Chat with you later.
Bring back the Concorde

cargolex

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 pm

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. And that's okay too. I'd rather talk about Lincolns and Bonnevilles anyway.

747400sp

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 pm

It will be nice, if UA have a special name for that 787, because it will a special a/c, like Pan Am Clipper Juan T. Tripp, and Air Canada Gimi Glider. Let's see a 767 and A330, get prised by the leader of the greatest country in the world.

cmf

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 32):
And what is the problem with that?

The problem is that there will not be enough people able to afford using the products.

What are you referring to?

soon7x7

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting CargoLex (Reply 22):

Ignorance certainly must be bliss...where have you guys been the last 3.5 years?

Aesma

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am

Or maybe the cost of living will go up ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GuitrThree

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 31):
And with such low wages, these folks will still contribute little toward federal taxes. Consider that someone making $15-20/hr supporting a family of four would pay virtually nothing in Federal withholding.

Yes. 100% correct. They will pay less federal taxes. HOWEVER, if the same people are all spread out working at small mom and pop businesses where they were being paid LESS (no difference or even less tax to the government), these people probably had no benefits. Now, when they go to work for Nissan, BMW, Benz, etc, at least they get great health care benefits, etc. THAT TAKES THEM OFF FED AND STATE HEALTH CARE PLANS. See how much money that saves???

Also, they probably now have paid vacations, sick time, etc. Paid vacations? Yes, now the family goes on vacation. 1,500 workers at Nissan hired? Yep, 1,500 vacations next year.

You have to look at the big picture, and not just the hourly wage. But then again it's just easier to spew out the lie of Union Workers getting better pay, etc...

Quoting Aesma (Reply 47):
Or maybe the cost of living will go up ?

Why would it? Without over inflated salaries things will stay in check. Especially if we can get the government unions out of the picture and pay those workers what they are worth. And it's not $100,000 to be a janitor in a New York school.

cargolex

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 48):
HOWEVER, if the same people are all spread out working at small mom and pop businesses where they were being paid LESS (no difference or even less tax to the government), these people probably had no benefits

Logical flaw number 1:

These new workers from east nowhere may make more now than they did working at home depot, but you've left some other workers who were making more in another location with no jobs at all. In the Net, that means overall income has declined, as have tax revenues.

Logical flaw number 2:

Some of these new workers may have moved away from other states to get these jobs, meaning that it's possible they were making more elsewhere, at perhaps a union plant.

Now, when they go to work for Nissan, BMW, Benz, etc, at least they get great health care benefits, etc.

Except, not as good as what they might have gotten at a factory with a union. They get vacations, I'm sure. But they don't get benefits that are as good as the workers they have displaced. And are not in a position to ever get better benefits or higher wages, because they have no bargaining power at all.

Suppose that inflation goes up an the cost of living goes up. The wage might not, if the company paying the wage doesn't feel like spending more money. The workers now have no leverage at all to ask for higher wages or better benefits.

You have to look at the big picture,

Indeed, it would be nice if you would.

Why would it? Without over inflated salaries things will stay in check. Especially if we can get the government unions out of the picture and pay those workers what they are worth.

Ah, this again.

Why pay teachers anything? After all, all they do is educate our children. And you know, they're so overpaid. Every time I'm on the Côte d'Azur I see public school teachers swanning around in their Bentley Continentals and Ferrari 612 Scagliettis. You can tell they are teachers as they are throwing money out of the car as they go and instructing people to count it while singing "La Marseillaise" into empty bottles of Cristal.

Oh those teacher salaries. So wasteful!

Or police? What do we need them for?

And it's not $100,000 to be a janitor in a New York school.

Spoken like somebody with no knowledge at all of New York. The average school janitor in New York City this year will make $34,000.

I'm sure that's enough to have a Mercedes and room for a Pony in Smithville, Tennessee, but in New York City that's barely enough to live on.

Of course, even if it was the case - and perhaps somebody who's been working as a custodian for 50 years might have accrued a salary like that - what you're saying here is that somebody earning a larger salary in an expensive place to live is "bad" whereas you are defining the the same thing in the negative - people living in places with lower living expenses should earn lower wages - as "good." Hypocrisy.

[Edited 2012-02-23 16:15:21]