kaitak
Topic Author

Breaking News - Putin Wins Russian Election

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:24 pm

A close run thing; what a surprise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17252190

Russian state tv had the story last night, but wanted to hold it back until today, in case anyone thought there was something suspicious about announcing the result before the election. (Surely not?)

lhr380

RE: Breaking News - Putin Wins Russian Election

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:29 pm

What a surprise!!

Swas there any doubt it would be anyone esle
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

Rara

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Congratulations   
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

MadameConcorde

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:57 pm

From President to Prime Minister to President... again.

I wonder if he will end up President for Life? Nothing would surprise me coming from him.
He's got a grip on power - the Supremo of Russia - I bet he won't be leaving it to someone else any time soon.

Maybe he can pick Dmitry Medvedev as his Prime Minister. The two can swap jobs over and over.

From RT
Putin wins 3rd presidential term with around 60% - preliminary results
Preliminary results show Vladimir Putin securing 62.58 per cent of votes in Russia's presidential election, with his closest rival Gennady Zyuganov taking 17.55 per cent.

http://rt.com/news/putin-win-presidential-election-813/

I never thought it would be otherwise.

Vote count fraud anyone?

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

einsteinboricua

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I think we will see a Russian Spring very soon. Shame Russians have never been able to have truly free elections (perhaps the only ones were right before and after the collapse of the Soviet Union). I wouldn't be surprised if Putin actually manages to abolish the Constitution and proclaim himself President for Life. He has Parliament on his side so I can expect this to come very soon. Back to the Soviet times, except maintaining the facade that Russia is democratic.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aloha717200

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Of course the Russian Dear Leader wins again. As for a russian spring...I find it unlikely that a russian spring would succeed in Russia. It's just my gut reaction, I don't have evidence to back that up. I hope I'm wrong though.

flanker

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:18 pm

Ah yes the kgb "wins" again
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Revelation

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Next, I suppose you are going to tell me the Pope is a Catholic, and that bears crap in the woods, and that ducks have a water-tight butt?

[Edited 2012-03-04 10:22:08]
Inspiration, move me brightly!

flanker

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 7):

Next, I suppose you are going to tell me the Pope is a Catholic, and that bears crap in the woods, and that ducks have a water-tight butt?
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

tu204

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Great News! I have yet to vote as I am not in Russia right now. This means another 6 years of economic growth and stability for Russia!

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 4):

I think we will see a Russian Spring very soon. Shame Russians have never been able to have truly free elections (perhaps the only ones were right before and after the collapse of the Soviet Union). I wouldn't be surprised if Putin actually manages to abolish the Constitution and proclaim himself President for Life. He has Parliament on his side so I can expect this to come very soon. Back to the Soviet times, except maintaining the facade that Russia is democratic.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Quoting flanker (Reply 6):

I dont understand what you guys have against the KGB...do you think the same of the CIA?

Путин - Наш Президент!
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Revelation

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
Great News! I have yet to vote as I am not in Russia right now.

Don't worry, someone else has done it for you!  

tu204

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 10):

Even all the exit polls are in saying that Putin has a great majority of the vote  
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

ouboy79

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
Great News! I have yet to vote as I am not in Russia right now. This means another 6 years of economic growth and stability for Russia!
Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
I dont understand what you guys have against the KGB...do you think the same of the CIA?

Interesting responses from someone in Russia. Perhaps the rest of the world's perspective is different, but when the same guy has managed to hold on to control of the country for a significant amount of time...that usually indicates dictator in the making. Hopefully those of us on the outside are wrong, especially for those on the inside that are going to be subject to whatever the Putin regime continues to dictate.

Ahh well. Though maybe now this will allow for another US vs. Mutha Russia James Bond flick. :-P

MadameConcorde

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
Путин - Наш Президент!

Putin Is Our President!

This is not difficult to translate.

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
This means another 6 years of economic growth and stability for Russia!

I hope you are right.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Danfearn77

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Breaking news? Far from it!!
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

flyingturtle

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Perhaps an old video for some of you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyzGo83pBWI

(click on the CC for English subtitles)

This time... same old $hit...
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Revelation

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 11):
Even all the exit polls are in saying that Putin has a great majority of the vote

That might have something to do with his control over media, his ability to hand-pick federal officials, his ability to use the tax code to wipe out political opponents, etc.

tu204

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Just voted - put two checkmarks beside Vladimir Putin's name - one for myself and one for my 1,5 year old son!

Mir

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:53 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 17):
Just voted - put two checkmarks beside Vladimir Putin's name - one for myself and one for my 1,5 year old son!

And you know he supports Putin because....?   

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:00 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):

Care to elaborate? Because to me a person that has consistently held a grip on power, whether as president or as prime minister, is really a dictator in the making. While I don't doubt of Putin's ability as a leader, I do question whether he'll give up power when the time comes. If he continues this game of president, prime minister, president, then I can only conclude that he is a dictator and nothing less. Had he allowed Medvedev to stand for another term, this post would be non-existent.

L410Turbolet

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 am

Quoting danfearn77 (Reply 14):
Breaking news?

It seems Putin's botox did not go down too well. Someone should tell him that "once a KGB thug, always a KGB thug" botox or not.

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):
I dont understand what you guys have against the KGB

The same gripe we have against Gestapo. The difference is that no one's trying to whitewash Gestapo's past.

rfields5421

Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:13 am

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 1):
What a surprise!!

I see the Cook County Illinois vote counters have found a new job.

zkojq

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 am

Wow, who would have thought.....quite possibly the least surprising piece of news to have happened in my lifetime.   

Quoting Revelation (Reply 10):

And no-doubt for some dead ancestors as-well.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 16):
That might have something to do with his control over media, his ability to hand-pick federal officials, his ability to use the tax code to wipe out political opponents, etc.

All of those factors (particularly the first one) must make campaigning so much easier for Mr Putin. Additionally his opponents in the election are a bit crazy. Have a look at the Wikipedia page of Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who came third in this election.

Quoting tu204 (Reply 17):

So you voted twice?? In most nations that is illegal.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 19):
Care to elaborate? Because to me a person that has consistently held a grip on power, whether as president or as prime minister, is really a dictator in the making.

I have always taken the view that anyone who tries to remove term-limits for their own benefit is a fraud, whether they be a City Councillor, Mayor, Prime-Minister or President.
First to fly the 787-9 with Air New Zealand and ZK-NZE (2014-10-09, NZ103)

tu204

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 20):
The same gripe we have against Gestapo. The difference is that no one's trying to whitewash Gestapo's past.

Do you have the same opinion of Mossad, MI6 or the CIA?

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 19):
Care to elaborate? Because to me a person that has consistently held a grip on power, whether as president or as prime minister, is really a dictator in the making. While I don't doubt of Putin's ability as a leader, I do question whether he'll give up power when the time comes. If he continues this game of president, prime minister, president, then I can only conclude that he is a dictator and nothing less. Had he allowed Medvedev to stand for another term, this post would be non-existent.

Every politician does. I don't care how long Putin stays at the helm as long as the quality of life improves with every year.

stasisLAX

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 am

"It’s not the votes that count. It’s who counts the votes." as quoted from Uncle Joe Stalin. Some things will never change, unfortunately. And I am certain this quote can also be applied to any American cities political machine and mafias.... not to point the finger only at our Russian friends.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 23):
Every politician does.

II don't know if that's how it's done in Russia, but I can guarantee that in most places in the world it's not like that. Many politicians uphold a sheet of paper called the Constitution and from this statement, I can tell that the Russian Constitution is just a piece of paper with fancy words, but it's not something people are willing to abide by.

thegreatRDU

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 4):
Quoting flanker (Reply 6):

Where is all this hostility coming from?
Putin was projected to win by a large margin from the start, the vast majority of Russian are obviously happy with him,the leading opposition were communists, Putin's doing everything according to the constitution....

I congratulate him and Obama could learn a thing or two from Putin.
Our Returning Champion

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting thegreatRDU (Reply 26):
Where is all this hostility coming from?

There's no hostility. Hostility would be me calling for him to be removed from power or be assassinated. Would you be willing to have Obama as president for 8 years, Speaker of the House for 4, and then president for 12 more years?

thegreatRDU

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 27):
Hostility would be me calling for him to be removed from power or be assassinated. Would you be willing to have Obama as president for 8 years, Speaker of the House for 4, and then president for 12 more years?

I would if he was a good leader.....

Guys like Dwight Eisenhower, JFK, or Ron Paul? Yea...heck yess

Putin's abiding by the constitution....a foreign concept to Obama.....
Our Returning Champion

Newark727

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting thegreatRDU (Reply 28):
Guys like Dwight Eisenhower, JFK, or Ron Paul?

One of these things is not like the other....

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:08 pm

I would if he was a good leader.....

Well, that's your opinion...and I think term limits should be removed so that he can do that as well.

Putin's abiding by the constitution....a foreign concept to Obama.....

Mind enlightening us when has Obama (as a person, not his healthcare law) gone against the Constitution?

zckls04

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 pm

Every politician does. I don't care how long Putin stays at the helm as long as the quality of life improves with every year.

Perhaps, but what if it starts declining? When he's 80 and senile (like Mugabe for instance) and the country starts going down the toilet, what then? By that time he will be virtually impossible to get rid of without a lot of violence, as the constitution will have been altered to ensure he remains in power.

If elections are not fair it should concern EVERYONE, including those who support the incumbent. Today you might support him, but a few years down the road things might be different, and you'll have thrown away the mechanisms that allow you to remove him.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Revelation

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Putin was projected to win by a large margin from the start, the vast majority of Russian are obviously happy with him,the leading opposition were communists, Putin's doing everything according to the constitution....

I guess it is constitutional to have huge control over the media and the ability to hand-pick federal officials. Not so sure about the use of the tax code to wipe out political opponents, though.

Not too conducive to free and fair elections.

Not that I'm saying the US electoral process is all that great. The amount of money from corporations and wealthy individuals in the processes, aided and abetted by the ridiculous "corporations are people" ruling from the Supreme Court, is terrible. The inability to insist on a verifiable standard voting process nationwide for federal elections is absurd. Hint: touchscreens are not verifiable. Continuous attempts to reintroduce "poll tax" concepts are despicable.

I congratulate him and Obama could learn a thing or two from Putin.

Oy vey!

tu204

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 31):
Perhaps, but what if it starts declining? When he's 80 and senile (like Mugabe for instance) and the country starts going down the toilet, what then? By that time he will be virtually impossible to get rid of without a lot of violence, as the constitution will have been altered to ensure he remains in power.

If elections are not fair it should concern EVERYONE, including those who support the incumbent. Today you might support him, but a few years down the road things might be different, and you'll have thrown away the mechanisms that allow you to remove him.

If that happens, we will vote him out. There is a very simple mechanism to do that - elections. And it does not seem that that is going to change.

zckls04

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 33):
If that happens, we will vote him out. There is a very simple mechanism to do that - elections. And it does not seem that that is going to change.

Just be wary- it might change faster than you think.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Mir

Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:09 pm

If that happens, we will vote him out. There is a very simple mechanism to do that - elections.

The longer incumbents stay in power, the harder it becomes to remove them. That's particularly true with people who like to consolidate power the way Putin does. I would very much hope that should the Russian people someday feel the need to remove Putin from power, they will actually be able to do so.

-Mir

QANTAS077

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:09 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 9):

seriously? are you even on the same plant as the rest of us? trillions of dollars gained from petro projects and Russia is just about out of money, that is unless, you are one of many corrupt leeches that have the paws in the governments skin.

he certainly won the battle but he has totally lost the war. His own supporters are not satisfied and the growing opposition to him cannot be brought back to the fold..won't be long before his own ex-cronies see him more of a liability than an asset.

tu204

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting qantas077 (Reply 36):
are you even on the same plant as the rest of us?

I live in reality, apparently you live in Fox News.

Russia is just about out of money

Waaaa? I think you got Russia confused for some other country...

you are one of many corrupt leeches that have the paws in the governments skin.

So if I vote for him because my quality of life improved under him I'm corrupt?

he certainly won the battle but he has totally lost the war. His own supporters are not satisfied and the growing opposition to him cannot be brought back to the fold..won't be long before his own ex-cronies see him more of a liability than an asset.

Clueless statement.

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
The longer incumbents stay in power, the harder it becomes to remove them. That's particularly true with people who like to consolidate power the way Putin does. I would very much hope that should the Russian people someday feel the need to remove Putin from power, they will actually be able to do so.

Time will tell. However now the population spoke in favour, and by a wide margin.

QANTAS077

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 37):
I live in reality, apparently you live in Fox News.

never have, nor do I watch FOX news...

So if I vote for him because my quality of life improved under him I'm corrupt?

re-read what I wrote...I am referring to those drowning in money, how do you think they got that rich?

Clueless statement.

hahaha...actually, I will wager that he will likely not last.

Waaaa? I think you got Russia confused for some other country...

hmmm, no confusion at all.

OV735

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 pm

The Russians got what they deserve - a clown, a manipulator, and a strong-handed leader.

They need a clown who goes mammoth-hunting equipped only with a tube of Botox, a bare torso and a slingshot, to keep their eyes and minds off the fact that they live in a propaganda society. They need a manipulator to get good deals from Europe in order to keep believing they actually live in a big country. And they need a strong-handed leader because they haven't got a clue how to live in an independent society.

I'm confident Putin will keep things at home in order, unless of course he is overthrown in a coup. But as I said, the Russians got what they deserve - someone to keep them alive amidst the general bardak.

Mir

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting OV735 (Reply 39):
They need a clown who goes mammoth-hunting equipped only with a tube of Botox, a bare torso and a slingshot, to keep their eyes and minds off the fact that they live in a propaganda society.

Ironically, Putin's various escapades are the prime example of a propaganda society.

-Mir

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:27 pm

And do you think that by the time that becomes necessary he will gladly step aside?

Alias1024

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Some historians say that the most important thing George Washington did as President was to leave office. In a new democracy there was real doubt as to whether leaders would actually give up power when it was time to do so. Equally as important in my opinion was the transition from John Adams, our second President, to Thomas Jefferson as this represented a change in the party in power. It was a real switch in who held the power in American government and it happened smoothly.

I say this because I believe it illustrates the reason so many are uneasy with Vladimir Putin moving back into the office of President. When people outside Russia look at what's happening they don't see a willingness to let go of power. They see a man who was forced out by the constitution, so he picked a caretaker puppet President, while maintaining his power in a different title (Prime Minister) and working to change the constitution so he could get back to the Presidency.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

einsteinboricua

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 42):
I say this because I believe it illustrates the reason so many are uneasy with Vladimir Putin moving back into the office of President. When people outside Russia look at what's happening they don't see a willingness to let go of power. They see a man who was forced out by the constitution, so he picked a caretaker puppet President, while maintaining his power in a different title (Prime Minister) and working to change the constitution so he could get back to the Presidency.

You hit the nail on the head. He may be an able leader, I don't question his ability to lead, I just point out what I think is the only flaw: obsession of power.

jcs17

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 pm

The greatest part of this sham election are the "official vote totals." In no region did Putin have less than 55% of the total vote. In Muslim-dominated Chechnya which Putin savaged during his first and second term, over 99% of eligible voters went to the polls, and over 98% voted for good ol' Vlad. It's amazing the way the Russians are able to swallow this like they did Lenin and Stalin.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Aesma

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:17 am

Well, thousands gathered in protest, but not enough.

People being bussed to vote at several polling stations, others finding someone already had voted in their name, ridiculous numbers in Chechnya, opponents in prison, journalists silenced or assassinated. Yep, that's democracy 101. Putin learned from the best African leaders, as my (African) teacher said. He already said he would like to stay until 2024... No need to change the constitution either, he could still do the swap thing if need be.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

stasisLAX

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 am

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 44):
It's amazing the way the Russians are able to swallow this like they did Lenin and Stalin.

Rabid Russian nationalism is how the Russian citizens are doing it. And election officials have all been paid off/bribed/threatened with jail, and are thus looking the other way while Putin perverts the "free and open" democracy.....

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/wo...nd-in-chechnya.html?_r=1&ref=world
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

tu204

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 am

I always was amazed how people that have never been to Russia think they have a better understanding than it's citizens...
Fact of the matter is - western media is very biased against Russia, we can see this, you can't...maybe it is because we got our share of it during the USSR and learned how to read between the lines but you haven't yet...
One day...

stasisLAX

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 47):
One day...

On both Russian and Western citizens parts.....

Russia is a huge mafia-run nation, in my opinion. The Russian mafia exerts governance control in many areas of the Russian state.

And before I am categorized as a "cold warrior ugly American" - that is not just my opinion - check out this Wikileaks cable information. "A senior Spanish investigator alleged to the US that Moscow’s strategy was to use “organised crime groups to do whatever the government of Russia cannot acceptably do as a government”. Recent operations included gun-running to the Kurds “in an attempt to destabilise Turkey”. So the Spaniards and the Turks are also believers of this lawless situation.

Many Americans and westerners want Russians to finally be FREE and live in a open, safe, and just society, not merely subjects of the Russian mafia and their cronies (like Putin and company).

Source: http://mafiatoday.com/other-mafia-or...nt-using-mafia-for-its-dirty-work/

[Edited 2012-03-06 19:31:20]

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 am

I'm out. Apparently, I can't have an opinion on what I think of a foreign leader without saying I don't have a clue, even though many here agree that Putin's move and the whole elections are questionable. Over and out.