DL_Mech
Topic Author

"The Love Boat" Sold For Scrap

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:42 am

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

L-188

RE: "The Love Boat" Sold For Scrap

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:49 am

Yup, especially when you consider the amount of pipe that Isaac laid on that boat.

Still it is a forty year old boat.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Francoflier

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:56 am

Not a bad career for a cruise ship.

It was an elegant boat as well, not yet like those giant condominium-looking floating shoeboxes of today.

Oh well, tada...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

2707200X

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 am

This was the ship of the TV show that helped popularized the cruise industry.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

EY460

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:09 am

Very sad news. I've seen her few times during the past weeks while driving in Genoa. I was watching Love Boat as a kid and I ended up working on a cruise ship. Another beautiful ship to be scrapped.

L-188

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 am

Yup, as you know 2707200x because the cruise industry was really damaged after the three hour cruise of the SS Minow was popularized.

smittyone

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
Yup, especially when you consider the amount of pipe that Isaac laid on that boat.

LOL, Isaac was the man.

Makes me feel kind of old that a ship built the same year I was born is going to the breakers!

Kiwirob

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to save her and turn her into a museum.

Her sister ship, the former Island Princes is still working, she's now called the Discovery.

[Edited 2012-03-10 11:33:13]

EA CO AS

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:19 pm

So sad to see the former Pacific Princess sold off for scrap like this; saw the news on Maritime Matters and couldn't believe it. I think there's opportunity here for a U.S. based hotel conversion, but don't see anyone buying off on it in time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

zanl188

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 am

The ship would seem a natural fit for a Studio Theme Park... a hotel for park guests complete with animatronic "Julies" & "Gophers"... Afro sporting mechanical bar tenders spewing bad 70's jokes... A womanizing robotic ship's Dr... a nonexistent Engineering and Marine staff... the kids can hang with "Vicki"... Marketed as a weekend aboard "The Love Boat"....

Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

stasisLAX

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 9):
The ship would seem a natural fit for a Studio Theme Park... a hotel for park guests complete with animatronic "Julies" & "Gophers"... Afro sporting mechanical bar tenders spewing bad 70's jokes... A womanizing robotic ship's Dr... a nonexistent Engineering and Marine staff... the kids can hang with "Vicki"... Marketed as a weekend aboard "The Love Boat"....

Guest could now send time arguing right-wing wedge politics with Gopher - or/and buying high-grade cocaine from Julie, the Cruise (sniff) director.   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

falstaff

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 6):
Makes me feel kind of old that a ship built the same year I was born is going to the breakers!

Especially since another ship, built in 1948, and invloved in a famous accident is still out and about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Athena
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

DocLightning

Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:27 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):
I think there's opportunity here for a U.S. based hotel conversion, but don't see anyone buying off on it in time.

Did you see the interior? It's really cramped. It would be hard to meet ADA standards without major retrofitting. I just don't see it happening.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:23 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 12):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):I think there's opportunity here for a U.S. based hotel conversion, but don't see anyone buying off on it in time.
Did you see the interior? It's really cramped. It would be hard to meet ADA standards without major retrofitting.

It did just fine for Princess Cruises until 2002; I'm fairly confident if ADA compliance were an issue, it would have been raised long before then. The reason Princess phased her out was she's simply too small to operate efficiently and profitably in today's cruise market.

Those cruise economics change dramatically if the ship is operated as a hotel only. Having said that, there would definitely need to be some refurbishing to keep her appealing.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

747400sp

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:55 pm

This is sad news! This ship is more than just the Love Boat, as the Sea Venture, she came the QE2 recuse, like the ILE France came to the Andrea Doria recuse. Back in the early 70's, when the QE2 was still a steam ships, it had a lot of boiler trouble, so on a Caribbean cruise, the QE2 went dead in the water, so the Sea Venture came to the QE2 recuse, by take it's passengers to the nearest port. The passengers flew home by way of way of charters Boeing 747s, ( I wish I knew the airline) and I believe the QE2 was towed into the nearest port. There was a cruise ship book, that was out in the 80's which tells this story, and this story is not told much, and this is the main why the I like watching Love Boat reruns. If I see an episode of Love Boat, and I see that they are using the Island Princess instead of the Pacific Princess, I just do not want to watch it, because the Island Princess did not save the QE2 passenger but the Pacific Princess did. Love Boat wise, the Pacific Princess was the true star of Love Boat, and even though she is very very small by today's cruise ship standers, I wish I saw her leaving Los Angeles Harbor, who knows, I may have witness a filming of Love Boat, but I was born when the show was new, and a kid while the show was running. The cruise ships I remember seeing leaving LA harbor when I was a kid, was Carnivals Jubilee, Princess Cruise Dawn Princess ( the old steam powered one) and RCCI Viking Serenade with another cruises line. I believe the Pacific and Island Princesses, use to get dry docked in LA Harbor, something you will not see in LA Harbor today.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:17 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):

It did just fine for Princess Cruises until 2002; I'm fairly confident if ADA compliance were an issue, it would have been raised long before then.

Her identical sister ship is still in service, it's surprising that an operator like Fred Olsen haven't bought her, they like operating smaller older ships.

Superfly

Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 am

My parents went on this cruise ship back in 1978.
I'll never forget because we had the babysitter from HELL while they were on the Pacific Princess.

The ship would seem a natural fit for a Studio Theme Park..

That would be a great idea. You'd have to have Jack Jones's white 1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham parked at the dock in front of the Love Boat.

Afro sporting mechanical bar tenders spewing bad 70's jokes..

I wouldn't mind having that job.  
Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):

LOL!   
Spewing bad 70s jokes has a good return in the end.  

I'd like to hear Jack Jones weigh in on all of this.
Afterall, he was the voice of the Love Boat.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1976/Ads/76NYBJackJones-reg.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

DocLightning

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:32 pm

It did just fine for Princess Cruises until 2002

Because it was flagged in Panama or Liberia or something. If it's going to be docked in the US as a hotel, it needs to meet US legal standards.

Those cruise economics change dramatically if the ship is operated as a hotel only.

Are there any other ships currently operated this way?

Remember, it would need to be docked in a central location. That becomes a bit of trouble.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 16):
My parents went on this cruise ship back in 1978.
I'll never forget because we had the babysitter from HELL while they were on the Pacific Princess.

Hey, Superfly, maybe you could buy her and fit her out with faux wood paneling, gold trim, maroon velvet, and white-wall propellers? You could christen your new private yacht Superfly Shag Ship 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

GuitrThree

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 pm

That would be a great idea. You'd have to have Jack Jones's white 1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham parked at the dock in front of the Love Boat.

I'm not sure you'd be able to see the Love Boat if that New Yorker was parked in front of it.

I wouldn't mind having that job.

You'd be perfect! If they ever do a Love Boat remake, you should apply...
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

DocLightning

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 18):
I'm not sure you'd be able to see the Love Boat if that New Yorker was parked in front of it.

I thought that WAS the Love Boat!  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

PITrules

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:41 am

You'd be perfect! If they ever do a Love Boat remake

Already been done  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jqFfcbL6bk
FLYi

N1120A

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:29 am

Those cruise economics change dramatically if the ship is operated as a hotel only. Having said that, there would definitely need to be some refurbishing to keep her appealing.

The biggest issue was apparently asbestos abatement. That's nasty stuff and expensive to remove, so it probably wasn't worth it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:01 am

People would get confused which boat is the 'love' boat.

Quoting PITrules (Reply 20):
You'd be perfect! If they ever do a Love Boat remake

Already been done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jqFfcbL6bk

That is awful!
The Love Boat 2 from 1998 was bound to fail because it didn't have Issac.
Also that theme song is awful.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
I thought that WAS the Love Boat!

Well sort of.  
Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
The biggest issue was apparently asbestos abatement. That's nasty stuff and expensive to remove, so it probably wasn't worth it.

Damn lawyers!   
I grew up around asbestos and look at how I turned out!
Bring back the Concorde

N1120A

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
I grew up around asbestos and look at how I turned out!

You ever meet someone with mesothelioma?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):

You ever meet someone with mesothelioma?

Issac is doing just fine.
Bring back the Concorde

GuitrThree

Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 20):
Already been done  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jqFfcbL6bk

Well I must have missed that. And, after watching that opening, I must say I'm glad I did! Wow is that bad.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

727LOVER

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 pm

The 1977 premeire on abc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYUWTBovU4o

Early episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FPCFiMlY-4

So, when did people stop using ships to get from point A to B, & start using them for vacations? Any particular cruise line start this?
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

EY460

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Just a quick update as I drove past her today in Genoa. The "Pacific" (now this is her name) in still in the shipyard but she's now out of the dry-dock and in the water. One lifeboat is back in position (before all lifeboats were removed) and it's look like they are readying her for her final voyage. The exterior conditions are pretty bad, with a lot of rust around and it was a very sad sight.

L-188

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

In other news it was just annonced the former Exxon Valdez has also been sold for scrap.....

No hard feelings on that ship going to the breakers

Superfly

Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 28):
In other news it was just annonced the former Exxon Valdez has also been sold for scrap.....

Which killed fewer birds than your average wind farm.
Just sayin'.

Quoting EY460 (Reply 27):
Just a quick update as I drove past her today in Genoa. The "Pacific" (now this is her name) in still in the shipyard but she's now out of the dry-dock and in the water. One lifeboat is back in position (before all lifeboats were removed) and it's look like they are readying her for her final voyage. The exterior conditions are pretty bad, with a lot of rust around and it was a very sad sight.

I remember seeing the Royal Caribbean, Sovereign of the Seas in dry dock in San Francisco a few years ago. It was my first real cruise in 1989 and it was rather sad seeing it in a dilapidated state knowing that I had so much fun on that ship when it was brand new.
Like Issac (Ted Lange), I laid a lot of pipe on that ship....
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 29):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 28):In other news it was just annonced the former Exxon Valdez has also been sold for scrap.....
Which killed fewer birds than your average wind farm.
Just sayin'.

Most wind farms don't also get killer whales, sea lions, herring, salmonoids and and hell of a lot of coastline.

We are still pissed at Exxon up here.