zrs70
Topic Author

Seattle Lgbt Group Cancels Israel Event....

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 am

So ridiculous.... LGBT groups should be standing with Israel at every opportunity. Gays and Lesbians have more rights there than here.

http://www.queerty.com/seattle-lgbt-...nti-pinkwashing-activist-20120316/
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Quokkas

RE: Seattle Lgbt Group Cancels Israel Event....

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:45 am

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):
LGBT groups should be standing with Israel at every opportunity.

LGBT groups should certainly stand with other LGBT groups that support the right of people to live their lives free from persecution on the grounds of sexuality. Of that there can be no doubt.

But is that the same as standing with Israel at every opportunity? For example, when Israel closes 92% of complaints into intimidation of Palestinians, including willful destruction of olive trees, by settlers in the occupied territories, should we turn the other way as well? Support Israel's right to exist by all means but let us not turn a blind eye to the violence that occurs and has been documented by European Union officials.

That said, I do not believe that the meeting should have been cancelled. It would have been an excellent opportunity to set the record straight about what the groups' involvements are, what they have achieved and what support they do offer for people in "minority communities". Let them come, let them speak.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

mbmbos

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):
So ridiculous.... LGBT groups should be standing with Israel at every opportunity.

Gays and lesbians should be standing up for what is right and not going along with a rancid, war mongering government that aches for war.

zrs70
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 2):
Gays and lesbians should be standing up for what is right and not going along with a rancid, war mongering government that aches for war.

So true... I'm glad you agree with my original post!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

mham001

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:57 pm

Does anybody care?

mbmbos

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 3):
So true... I'm glad you agree with my original post!

I don't agree with your original post and you know that. Stop playing these rhetorical games.

jfk69

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:33 pm

If the Israeli government held up this meeting then I could see this being a reason why the Seattle Lgbt would cancel this trip. Because they are bringing politics into the fray it just makes their chapter of the organization look like a sham and they will get ZERO respect.

Focus on what you care about and stop bringing politics into everything!!!

Stay the hell out of Israel, who needs ya.