L-188
Topic Author

Opinions On New Plastic AR-15 Magazines?

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 am

Hey guys.

After many years of sitting on a stripped AR-15 lower reciever, I have finally got the parts and stock kits to start assembling it.

Already I have one roll pin go flying off into the carpet that I need to replace.

I do have a question about some of the new plastic magazines that are out now. Does anybody have any experience using them? Are the better or worse then the traditional metal AR mags. I know that on the latter there is a lot of variation depending on who made them.

Just looking for opinions before I drop cash for a couple.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

RE: Opinions On New Plastic AR-15 Magazines?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 pm

The best alternative to the traditional aluminum GI mags (which are very reliable within their expected life cycle, but once worn out they need to be disposed of) are the Magul P-mags. They are combat proven and very tough. Other plastic mags have proven less than reliable, or are too new to have a trustable record.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Dreadnought

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 pm

The advantage of plastic magazines is that you'll never have misfeeds due to the metal guides at the top getting a little bent out of shape.

When I was in the military, while we didn't have ARs (we had the Fass-90, below), it had plastic mags and I thought they were great. You can also see how much ammo you have left just by looking at it.

http://sstp.suissemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fass90.jpg

PS - these mags also had clip locks on the side so that you could lock magazines together for faster reloading. I once put 10 clips together and emptied the whole thing on full auto as fast as I could. The barrel was glowing at the end of it, and while it would still fire it was warped a little out of shape and would no longer shoot true. Had to replace the barrel  Smile

[Edited 2012-03-26 06:12:50]
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - W. Churchill

johns624

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:08 pm

The PMags are good but stay away from the SIG mags, they don't even use them anymore. That being said, I've never had a problem with the USGI aluminum ones.

fr8mech

Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't have any recent experience with plastic mags, but used them a bit in my Mini-14 and was really disappointed. Maybe plastic mag technology has improved in the intervening years, but I'd need a lot of convincing, at the range, to spend money on one.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

TheCol

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:36 am

The CAF used to issue plastic mags for the C7A1, and they turned out to be a huge pain in the ass. The CAF has since gone back to issuing metal mags.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

dl021

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Again...the plastic magazine issue is one that has been repeatedly hammered.

Swiss SIG mags are high quality/high cost pieces of kit that apply only to that firearm. Good setup but pricey in the US.

Canadian and other forces tried using some Thermomold magazines and others, with poor results.

Magpul makes the best magazine out there besides the metal GI mags as issued new. Remember..magazines are disposable, and meant to be recycled into metal after their lifespan is over. Check the feed lips and make sure your equipment is functional.

johns624

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:02 am

Quoting dl021 (Reply 6):
Swiss SIG mags are high quality/high cost pieces of kit that apply only to that firearm. Good setup but pricey in the US

Not really. SIG 556's are coming with NHMTG USGI mags. The old SIG mags used to be $20 apiece but weren't that good.

dl021

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 pm

I was referring to Swiss origin mags, not the cheap plastic mags SIG USA delivered with its early US 556s, which had their own issues. Since the old Swiss origin plastic mags are rare, and only fit SIG rifles which are not imported here anymore, they may as well be made of unobtainium, and are priced accordingly. New build ones find their way here, but they are not cheap, and again don't fit ARs or US made SIG rifles.