PHX787
Topic Author

Any Doctors In The House? Gastrointestinal Issues

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:46 am

Hey all, I was wondering if anybody here is a gastrointestinal expert (or know stuff about intestines)

I've been dealing with intestinal pain in the lower left half of my abdomen for the last 2 weeks, and I've seen my doc and am getting a CT scan tomorrow.... but do you guys have any idea on what I should do? It seems like when I spend copius amounts of time in a hot tub, the pain disappears....what do you all suggest? What do you all think it is?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

DocLightning

RE: Any Doctors In The House? Gastrointestinal Issues

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:53 am

LLQ pain in a child is constipation until proven otherwise. No idea how old you are or what other issues it could be, and frankly, not a discussion I'd have on a public thread.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PHX787
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
LLQ pain in a child is constipation until proven otherwise. No idea how old you are or what other issues it could be, and frankly, not a discussion I'd have on a public thread.

20, no other issues, just pain there. lol

I'm getting a CT scan tomorrow....but my blood work came back as negative for cancer....should I risk irradiating myself just for them to tell me again that it isn't cancer?

DocLightning

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 pm

As I said, LLQ pain in a young patient is constipation until proven otherwise. People can have constipation even with supposed regular bowel movements.

That said, I have neither examined you nor taken a complete history, so I am in no position to comment on whether you should get a CT because I don't know what your doctor is thinking it is.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PHX787
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
That said, I have neither examined you nor taken a complete history, so I am in no position to comment on whether you should get a CT because I don't know what your doctor is thinking it is.

He said that he's thinking it's just some sort of virus, but we'll see what the results say

CaliAtenza

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:56 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 4):

He said that he's thinking it's just some sort of virus, but we'll see what the results say

Does the pain radiate towards your back or does it hurt with urination?...if it does, i would go with kidney stones. I could also give you a differential diagnosis of Diverticulitis.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 5):
Does the pain radiate towards your back or does it hurt with urination?...if it does, i would go with kidney stones. I could also give you a differential diagnosis of Diverticulitis.

Stones are usually excruciating. And diverticulitis would be very unlikely in a 20yo.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

CaliAtenza

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 6):

Stones are usually excruciating. And diverticulitis would be very unlikely in a 20yo.

right on both counts Doc, but he didnt give much of a description about his symptoms, so i thought i would just go ahead and ask.

ba6590

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 2):
I'm getting a CT scan tomorrow....but my blood work came back as negative for cancer....should I risk irradiating myself just for them to tell me again that it isn't cancer?

There is no blood test that can completely rule out cancer. However your age makes it highly unlikely.

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
what do you all suggest? What do you all think it is?

I don't think anyone can give you all the answers without taking a full history, and performing a thorough examination.
But I agree with Doc, in your age group constipation is the likely cause. Although you have to keep in mind there are lots of other possible causes.

Best of luck with your scan, hope you get well soon.

AR385

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Maybe your diet contains too much fiber and you should cut on that. Especially the one that also comes with cellulose. Like corn, pinto beans, lentils.

DocLightning

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:44 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 9):

Maybe your diet contains too much fiber and you should cut on that. Especially the one that also comes with cellulose. Like corn, pinto beans, lentils.

I would venture that the opposite is true. Very few Americans are fiber-overloaded.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AR385

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:47 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 10):
I would venture that the opposite is true. Very few Americans are fiber-overloaded.

Oh. Well. It´s just that I had the same issue, although the pain was more in the centrer of my lower abdomen, and my gastroenterologist restricted my fiber intake and it went away. This after many, many studies. I´m talking major pain, though, hospital grade. Although it also had to do with stress. FIBER+STRESS, bad choice for me. I had to give up corn for good.

Ken777

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 am

Have fun with the CT - hope it helps ID the problem. It's far easier than a scope, or the preparation fora scope.

Most places you can get a digital copy of the scan, which might be a good idea as it can be a baseline scan for the future, wherever you may live. Those scans generally come with Windows software, but you can get a free application for a Mac - OsiriX. That even lets you browse through the various stuff inside.

ssteve

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:58 am

I know I'm going to drive the doctors here nuts with another "maybe it's what I had," but your doc checked and rechecked you for an inguinal hernia? I'm going to say, yes, because you're a 20 y/o male, they probably spent a lot of time with their fingers in your groin telling you to bear down, but it's worth mentioning. Mine presented as mild abdominal pain, but persistent enough that I went and got it diagnosed.

PHX787
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 12):
Have fun with the CT - hope it helps ID the problem. It's far easier than a scope, or the preparation fora scope.

Well the CT was a experience, I'll say -_-

Seems like it's nothing too serious, now they're trying to figure out what exactly it is. Thanks for the help guys

flyingclrs727

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:45 am

My mom had it when she was 27 just a couple of months after my younger brother was born. It was discovered after surgeons removed her appendix which was perfectly normal and left a rather unsightly surgical scar (so I have been told). Apparently there is a tendency on my mom's side of the family to have diverticulitis.

na

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:05 pm

I do have the same symptoms as you at the moment, pains in the lower abdomen since 5 days, with fever at the beginning. Think its a virus, its getting slowly better though still hurts like needles. Normally though virusses like that do plague me only for 2 days maximum so Im a bit worried and will see the doctor tomorrow if it aint better.

I had a kidney stone when I was 31, likely due to too little drink in hot weather. The most awful pain I ever had, by far, I thought it was life-threatening as I didnt know what it was. It came fast, started with a kind of undefined stomach pain, and later moved downwards until getting really mad about 30 minutes later. I was in a car, on the countryside, on a sunday of cause. When I found I had no choice than to go to a hospital, I still had 30 kms to go to the next one I knew of. I think I never drove as mad as in these 20 minutes. I must have been a danger to others, but felt I had no choice as I thought I would fall unconscious from pains any minute and could have died in that remote countryside I was in.

DocLightning

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 15):

My mom had it when she was 27 just a couple of months after my younger brother was born.

I said "unlikely."

The first thing they teach you as a doctor is that "Common things are common. Uncommon things are uncommon." In other words, you should think of the common thing first before going hunting for rare things. Also worded as: "If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flyingclrs727

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:31 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 19):
I said "unlikely."

The first thing they teach you as a doctor is that "Common things are common.

The diverticulitis diagnosis wasn't made till after her doctors ruled out cancer after the removal of the healthy appendix.

hOMSaR

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:02 am

Some number of years ago (when I was 22 or 23-ish), I had horrible abdominal pains. It started as flu-like symptoms for a few days (diarrhea, nausea, loss of apetite). I was talking to one of my classmates who said he'd felt similar symptoms for a little while, so I figured maybe it was just something going around. I felt that way for a few days, and...it just didn't go away. The first month of dealing with that, I probably ate less than I otherwise would in a typical week. There were some days I wouldn't eat at all.

I went to my regular doctor. He had no clue. Referred me to a gastroenterologist. The problem with the gastroenterologist is that it takes six weeks to get an appointment. But anyway, I did all the fun stuff (the x-ray where you drink that horrible barium liquid - I forget what it's called, endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT scan, not necessarily in that order). The doctor kept telling me "it looks like you have this" and would follow it up with "what are you talking about? I never said you had that." Diagnoses ranged from lactose intolerance (was never a problem before then, and I drank milk all the time; afterwards, I started having regular dairy products again once I decided that soy milk was just disgusting and I've had no problems), to celiac disease, to duodenitis, to acid reflux, to ulcers...all of which were later determined not to be the cause.

I tried changing my diet a bit, even moved out of the house and into my own apartment (was living at home while going to grad school), seeing if it was something in the house. Nothing really made it better. The symptoms would get better and worse (not going to go through all the gory details), but were still lingering, and I felt like crap.

The best treatment I could find was to take prescription-strength antacids, which would subdue the symptoms for a while, but then they came back, and the drugs became ineffective, so I'd stop (then wait a few weeks, then start over again).

It screwed up my life for 10 or 11 months until one day, the symptoms just vanished. I wasn't on any medication at the time the symptoms went away, so I have no idea what did it. But I just felt better, and that was it. It took me a while to get my diet back to normal (I still didn't eat all that much, but slowly started to eat more and more, and, as noted, slowly reintroduced dairy into my diet with no negative effects).

To this day, I never figured out what the problem was. Frankly, I don't care. It's gone now, and that's all that matters.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word, and doesn't even make sense.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:33 am

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 18):
The diverticulitis diagnosis wasn't made till after her doctors ruled out cancer after the removal of the healthy appendix.

I've never understood why doctors go looking for tumors in young people. That should be on the BOTTOM of your list, not the top.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

flyingclrs727

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:05 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
I've never understood why doctors go looking for tumors in young people. That should be on the BOTTOM of your list, not the top.

I have no idea. It was in 1963/64. CAT scans didn't exist yet. The surgeons performed exploratory surgery and found the diverticulitis.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:18 am

Quoting flyingclrs727 (Reply 21):
I have no idea. It

I have some idea. You get so used to finding it in old people that you stop thinking that it's unlikely in a patient under 30. Not impossible, of course, but rare.

Also, cancer does not commonly present with pain (initially). It's usually another symptom, like blood in the stool, weight loss, sweats, fevers, etc.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:25 am

Quoting hOMsar (Reply 19):

To this day, I never figured out what the problem was. Frankly, I don't care. It's gone now, and that's all that matters.

Too much hanging out with The Poopsmith, that's what...
You Sir, are a very funny lady.

CaliAtenza

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):

But Doc arent more and more tumors these days being found in young people?

simonriat

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Ok this thread got me started thinking.

I am currently suffering with the flu, laying in bed, and feeling incredibly sorry for myself, but and maybe this is one for the Docs on here, if some RNA can make you feel this bad and im assuming destroying cells in the process , would it not be possible to use a virus (not necessarily the flu virus) in the fight against cancer (and yes I do realize there are many different types of cancer)?

Also is not not known how many different types of flu virus there are? I.e H1N1, H5N1 etc

Back to OP just to throw my 2 pennies into the hat. Would IBS be a possibility?

Regards
Simon

DocLightning

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:31 pm

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 24):

But Doc arent more and more tumors these days being found in young people?

Not that I'm aware of.

Quoting simonriat (Reply 25):
would it not be possible to use a virus (not necessarily the flu virus) in the fight against cancer (and yes I do realize there are many different types of cancer)?

Possible, yes. Possible just yet, no.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

GDB

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:34 pm

I have had a degree of tension, mild pain when walking, in the lower abdomen, since yesterday. Some when reclined. Feels like a full bladder too. No pain at all when passing water, though when done there is a feeling of more to come, but there isn't. Nothing untoward with No.2's, bit more frequent then usual and more fibrous. No blood in either.

Not that I'm expecting a diagnoses here! Though a pointer to possibles by the Doc wouldn't go amiss.
I'm not unduly worried, if it persists into next week I'll go and see my Doctor, if it worsens before the weekend is over I'll ring NHS Direct and take advice from there.

I am on a range of medications to control Rheumatoid Arthritis, the main disease modifier being Methotrexate weekly and Sulphasalazine daily, along with a small dose of Prednisolone Steroid daily, with Folic Acid to counter some possible MTX side effects. 12 years into this illness, no side effects from any meds so far, including when in the past when I was on bigger doses of current ones and was taking others, now rescinded due to a general improvement - read control - of the condition.

So I doubt it's them, not impossible though. The last 6 monthly consultation in Feb based of a series of blood tests between consultations, I tend to provide them about every 5-6 weeks, found very low signs of the condition and no side effects. They also test a urine sample at each consultation and weigh me.
Since 1988 I've also been on a fairly low daily dose of Phenytoin after a series of Grand Mal fits.
(Sometimes when I collect from my Pharmacy, I literally clean them out of some meds!)

Because of potential complications with Methotrexate, I've been teetotal since I started on that med, 12 years ago as of last week. So the discomfort I mentioned at the start isn't a result of being out on the piss!
I did think I'd maybe ruptured myself in December when an usually nasty cold and the attendant coughing fits produced a feeling not unlike, though not quite the same - none of that bladder feeling, as I'm having now. But it passed by itself without any medical advice/attention. Just a muscle strain then.

I'm about 5 ft 9 or 10 ins tall and the same 9.5 stone weight as I''ve been since my mid teens, 30 years ago, so not any obesity relation to whatever it is 'down there'.
(I sometimes wonder if my high metabolism, I never gain weight whatever I eat - I generally avoid avoid junk food, keep amounts of red meat low, always incorporate some fruit and veg - find relaxing/sitting still hard, has made me more prone to the RA, caused as it is by an over-active immune system attacking my joints).
Family history? Who knows, I was adopted at 6 weeks.

Oddly maybe, the only time I've discussed my conditions on the net is on medical related subjects very occasionally on here, never looked on-line about them, I feel you can see too many worst cases and I leave it to the Rheumatology Dept. at the hospital in NW London I've been under the whole time.

CaliAtenza

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 26):
Not that I'm aware of.

or maybe i am still in my Indian medical training mindset...

PHX787
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:46 pm

JUST AN UPDATE:

It was some sort of virus brought about from eating stale bacon.

I'm fine now. No pains in 4 days.

2707200X

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 29):
It was some sort of virus brought about from eating stale bacon. I'm fine now. No pains in 4 days.

Glad you're alright.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

ssteve

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:13 am

"Maybe it's a tumor."

"It's not a tumor!"