AA7295
Topic Author

Why Are Canadians So Anti-American?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Ok. Here's What I want to know.

I am a dual citizen. American and Italian. Raised in Australia for the past 14 years (majority of my life).

I have spent the past 18 months travelling the globe. There isn't a continent I haven't been to. What are Canadians' problems? Literally. I am not joking when I say this, but literally none of the Canadians I have met have had ANY thing positive to say about America.

Like literally. They make an emphatic mission to distinguish themselves from America and will take any opportunity they can to bag (insult) America, and not in a jovial manner. My question is why? It isn't because the world "hates" America, as people are intelligent nowadays and distinguish between Americans and the US Government.

As a tax paying American (I am an American abroad and earn more than $80,000 per year, so yeah, I pay US taxes), it infuriates how my taxes that I pay are protecting North American lives, not exclusively American lives, when Canadians are so anti-American.

Australia and New Zealand have a similar rivalry, but you would never hear a New Zealander say they hate Australia and vice-versa! Granted I am younger than a lot of the majority of A.netters, but every Canadian I have met in my age bracket, detests America.

This is severe issue in my regards. I find it very hard to absorb that Canadians have a lifestyle that in a large part has been due to having the United States as their southern neighbour. (I'm sorry... it's the truth!).

What have you go to say for yourselves Canadians?

shamrock604

RE: Why Are Canadians So Anti-American?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 pm

I really dont think "hate" is the right word.

Having been to Canada many times, it just seems like the normal rivalry two neighbouring countries have for each other.

America and Canada would fight side by side if they were under threat, and that's the real test, despite the ribbing they might give each other normally.

As someone who lives in a country next to a larger one, and a country a lot of people dont even realise is Independent from the larger one, I can understand Canadian's desire to show their difference and seperateness. I guess sometimes it may seem a bit hostile if you dont understand it, thats all!  

tommy767

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Do they hate Americans? I think they view us as crazy but they don't hate us. As a matter of fact they rely on our TV programming so heavily that it's not even funny!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

flipdewaf

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:06 pm

I think its just human nature to hate those next to you right up untill there is a bigger force at play. Its one town against another (Manchester Vs Liverpool) but as soon as the "enemy" is the "South" you can bet your bottem dollar that they will be on the same side and best friends and this lasts right up untill someone mentions the french and on it goes........

Fred

airportugal310

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Eh, I'm not too worried aboot it...

http://5.media.bustedtees.cvcdn.com/9/5/bustedtees.e94c1a298df754d742c03685bbfdb252.gif
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

KAUST

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Anyone whom has seen many numerous American cartoon shows or other humor mediums will tell you it quite easily goes both ways.

The South Park movie anyone?

filler

filler

KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

luv2fly

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Sorry in all my travels in Canada I have never encountered anything negative with Canadians.
You can cut the irony with a knife

YYZflyer

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:17 pm

I don't hate Americans. I hate their government and what they're doing. They trample all over everyone's rights and claim it's for national security. I don't buy it. Especially with the NDAA. Whenever the U.S military gets involved with a foreign country my bullshit detector goes off the chart.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 4):
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

ozglobal

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting AA7295 (Thread starter):
As a tax paying American (I am an American abroad and earn more than $80,000 per year, so yeah, I pay US taxes), it infuriates how my taxes that I pay are protecting North American lives, not exclusively American lives, when Canadians are so anti-American.

You reveal about 3 attitudes in this one sentence which contribute to Canadian and others objections to the US:

- The belief that the US is a selfless benefactor to the civilized world
- The belief that the US military and foreign policy over the last 20 years has been about keeping the West 'safe'
- The belief that the US should be honoured and thanked by others for these qualities

I find it very hard to absorb that Canadians have a lifestyle that in a large part has been due to having the United States as their southern neighbour. (I'm sorry... it's the truth!).

It sounds like you have been mixing with some young hot heads who will no doubt calm down as they get a bit older and wiser. However, if you really want to answer your question (and not just protest), you could think about some of the points above.

[Edited 2012-03-27 08:30:45]
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

airportugal310

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 7):

HAHA had not seen that one yet...the interwebs never fail to deliver!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

seb146

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Whenever the U.S military gets involved with a foreign country my bullshit detector goes off the chart.

I nearly spit my coffee from laughing when I saw that!!

As an American who used to visit Canada a lot, it might have to do with the attitude of Americans. Some (not all) Americans feel they are owed something when they visit Canada. Whenever I would visit, I would take the attitude that I am in someone else's home and will act as such. So, when I needed help with something, I would say "Excuse me, could you help me" instead of "I'm an American and have a question."

Example: I was near Stanley Park and got stung by a bee. It was the second time in my life I had ever been stung and I knew my father was alergic. I was freaked out. I found a community center and talked to a worker there. He called the nurse line and she asked a few questions and, between the two of them, determined I was going to live and did not need treatment. It was only then that they found out I am American. They asked for personal information, and their attitudes changed from "We need to help this person" to "But, you are not like the others."

The only time I told anyone I was American was on tour of the legislative building in Regina. I don't know why I said it, but I said something like "I'm from the States and, while researching the legislature, I notice one independant. Who does he vote with?" Zero attitude and a very in-depth answer.
Life in the wall is a drag.

slider

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:57 pm

I too disagree with the original statement.

I love Canada, love Canadians. Great people on balance and astoundingly hospitable neighbors (or neighbours as they'd write, haha)...

But because of the differences between our countries, or for other reasons, the one thing I've seen many times--not all the time by any means--is that some Canadians have what is tantamount to an inferiority complex. It's kind of odd really.

I think some Canadians are so afraid of being swallowed up by America due to proximity, culture, etc, and so perhaps consciously or not, they resist some things American. I don't know.

I love Canada though!

TheCol

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Canadians, especially Eastern Canadians, are still deep rooted in the economic and strategic isolationist policies of our former government during the 90's. They see anything other than the status quo (ie. the US) as a threat to their quiet way of life.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Quokkas

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Are they?

I know that when travelling some Canadians have not liked the assumption that they are Americans (US citizens). In that sense Canadians may feel overlooked in the same way that a Kiwi would not like to be identified as an Aussie. If in doubt, I will always ask "What Province are you from?", rather than "what State are you from?" A Canadian will not be confused by the question.  

The fact that Canada is right next door to the US and in many ways is more susceptible to US influence than countries with a reasonable distance (    ) may account for it as well. At least with the UK and the US people will assume their are differences that they may not automatically assume in the case of Canada.

I don't know if any of the friends that I have made hated the US: they may have hated the lumping of Canada with the US and that is another matter. Tell an Austrian that he is German or a Belgian that he is French and see if the response is any different.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

Revelation

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Literally. I am not joking when I say this, but literally none of the Canadians I have met have had ANY thing positive to say about America.

It's nothing to fret over. Plenty of Americans feel they love their country, but others are out to destroy it, and vice versa.

If you want to feel better, ask an Anglophone Canadian what they think about Quebecois or vice versa.

People are people...

Quoting KAUST (Reply 5):
Anyone whom has seen many numerous American cartoon shows or other humor mediums will tell you it quite easily goes both ways.

Nah, Canadians are more pissed that more often than not we can't be arsed to draw cartoons about Canada.  
Quoting KAUST (Reply 5):
The South Park movie anyone?

Umm, there's an exception to every rule! 
Quoting slider (Reply 11):

I love Canada, love Canadians. Great people on balance and astoundingly hospitable neighbors (or neighbours as they'd write, haha)...

All kidding aside, I've had great experiences in Canada, both in the touristy parts and the not-touristy parts.

Surely one should know not to antagonize anyone.

I spent an hour in Vancouver BC watching a Canucks game.

I just made damn sure to not let on that I am a Bruins fan!

It sounds like you are in a work situation so it's hard to avoid the topic, but do your best to let it roll off your back.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

cgnnrw

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 pm

In my previous job I dealt with Canadians very often and never encountered any problems. Always professional, curteous, easy-going, laid back. Attributes I like to say are typical for North Americans.

When colleagues from Canada visited our office they were same as mentioned above. No signs of inferiority complexes or chips on their shoulders. Although they did tend to exaggerate in their praise of "Tim Horton's".

The few times I was in Canada I never had any problems. Okay, once I had a jerk of a bartender try to overcharge me but I woudn't consider that anti-American. She was simply a b*tch who didn't know how to keep track of my tab.

Personally I know a few Canadians and other than the occassional joke about "stupid" Americans I have never had any problems with them. The fact I'm a huge curling fan surprises most Canadians. Also I think the Canadian anthem is quite pleasant to hear.

I agree with other posters, there are those who react "allergic" when asked "are you an American?" and respond with an exaggerated "NO!!! I'm a CANAAAAADIAN".

So I think the general attitude on both sides of the border is one of friendly neighbors each with its own quirks allowing the other to smirk or cringe depending on the situation.
A330 man.

GDB

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Well they've fought alongside the US in Korea, Afghanistan, the first Gulf War. They didn't in Vietnam or Iraq from 2003 but as a sovereign nation they have the absolute right to make that choice. Come to think of it, many of the regular US allies didn't in those two wars either, even the UK did not in Vietnam.
You could mention WW1 and WW2 but Canada as part of the British Commonwealth were in those two from the start.
They also impressively stepped up when US airspace was shut down on Sept 11th 2001 and in the days afterwards.

Question - those who think that Canada 'hates' the US, do they even know about any of the above?

Then there is the extent of trade between these two North American nations, the level of integration of their economies.

airtran737

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm

1. A Canadian team hasn't won a Stanley Cup since that sissy Patrick Roy and the Montreal Canadiens won it in 1993.

2. The Quebec Nordiques fled Canada for Denver and immediately won the Stanley Cup.

3. Hot Canadians come to America to become famous, such as Pam Anderson and Cobie Smulders.

4. We make your comedians successful.

5. The only people who know what a Tim Hortons is live within 50 miles of the border, and we aren't sold on Harvey's Burgers either.

I am sure that I can think of plenty more.

Honestly having worked in YYC I'd have to say that I didn't experience any issues with people not liking me because I was an American, and this was even after I declared Sidney Crosby to be a bitch.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

BMI727

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm

I am not joking when I say this, but literally none of the Canadians I have met have had ANY thing positive to say about America.

You met the wrong Canadians.

As a tax paying American (I am an American abroad and earn more than $80,000 per year, so yeah, I pay US taxes), it infuriates how my taxes that I pay are protecting North American lives, not exclusively American lives,

...and a lot of others, many of which do worse things from the American perspective. Besides, that isn't exactly a one way street either.

What have you go to say for yourselves Canadians?

I won't say that the Canadians don't owe us an apology, because they do, but not for any of what you've gone on about. They need to apologize for Don Cherry.

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 8):
- The belief that the US military and foreign policy over the last 20 years has been about keeping the West 'safe'

Actually more like the last 60, but whatever. Those American soldiers didn't hang out in Germany because they liked the beer.

Whenever the U.S military gets involved with a foreign country my bullshit detector goes off the chart.

And whenever the Canadian military gets involved with a foreign country, we say "Canada has a military!?"
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ACDC8

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Most of us Canucks don't hate Americans, but more the foreign policies of the US Government and the mentality of some American's such as ...

it infuriates how my taxes that I pay are protecting North American lives, not exclusively American lives, when Canadians are so anti-American.

... this.

Quoting KAUST (Reply 5):

To be honest, it humbles me when the US media portrays us in our stereotypical fashion, its actually quite flattering  

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 8):
You reveal about 3 attitudes in this one sentence which contribute to Canadian and others objections to the US:

- The belief that the US is a selfless benefactor to the civilized world
- The belief that the US should be honoured and thanked by others for these qualities

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 17):
1. A Canadian team hasn't won a Stanley Cup since that sissy Patrick Roy and the Montreal Canadiens won it in 1993.

2. The Quebec Nordiques fled Canada for Denver and immediately won the Stanley Cup.

3. Hot Canadians come to America to become famous, such as Pam Anderson and Cobie Smulders.

4. We make your comedians successful.

These are all very valid points  
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

AirPacific747

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 3):

I think its just human nature to hate those next to you right up untill there is a bigger force at play.

I agree.. except maybe hate is too strong a word, but there is also rivalry between Scandinavian countries, even though we're friends. I guess it is like that everywhere as you said.

Without knowing Ukraine too well yet, I would say that I imagine the same thing is the case with Ukraine and Russia.

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 6):
Sorry in all my travels in Canada I have never encountered anything negative with Canadians.

Having lived in Vancouver, Canada for a year, neither have I.

[Edited 2012-03-27 10:45:03]

Kiwirob

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:49 pm

but you would never hear a New Zealander say they hate Australia and vice-versa!

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've heard many New Zealanders say they hate Australians, we even had a PM who hated Australia, I've also been around many Australians who hate New Zealand and all those who live in it.

Quokkas

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 18):
Those American soldiers didn't hang out in Germany because they liked the beer.

You surprise me because the Germans are the only people who still know how to produce real beer. They even have a law guaranteeing it.   Mind you, I must admit it only applies to home consumption and not exports.  
we say "Canada has a military!?"

And every other country. To be honest, the US does not care about whether anybody has a military. They do care about whether those countries support them at UN meetings. It allows the US to claim not only the "moral high ground" but to speak on behalf of the "international community".

Revenir au sujet de la discussion, there are various treaties covering international air travel. Do the latest demands actually violate those treaties?

Klaus

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Those American soldiers didn't hang out in Germany because they liked the beer.

Quite a few might contest your opinion on that, at least on their own personal level...  

But seriously, they were (and still are) here because that suits US interests first and foremost. Everything else was and remains subordinate to that.

It can be a bit much when some re-interpret US military strategy as mere charity. That it certainly isn't.

Superfly

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm

The 'sophisticated' Canadians don't hate their neighbors in the US.
NHL players, comedians, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart, Gino Vannelli, Paul Shaffer, Ann Murray, Max Webster and Cory Hart would all be broke if their success was reliant solely on Canada.
Several democratically elected Canadian premiers would be dead if their health was dependent on the Canadian health-care policy.   
Bring back the Concorde

WestJet747

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:53 pm

They make an emphatic mission to distinguish themselves from America
It isn't because the world "hates" America, as people are intelligent nowadays and distinguish between Americans and the US Government.

Until you've travelled abroad as a Canadian then I can't really expect you to understand. I'm not kidding when I say for the entire time I lived outside the country, I was asked if I was an American EVERY SINGLE DAY. It's reasonable to understand that would occasionally get frustrating.

I've also noticed that I do get better treatment when people know I'm a Canadian. I've personally never had any problems with Americans, but I guess people elsewhere have their own pre-conceived notions that Americans are rude or brutish. If I go out of my way to make my Canadian identity known, it has nothing to do with my feelings about the US, I just want better service!

it infuriates how my taxes that I pay are protecting North American lives, not exclusively American lives

Are you aware that we have a military?...and an air force?...and a navy?...

Australia and New Zealand have a similar rivalry, but you would never hear a New Zealander say they hate Australia and vice-versa!

Did you really live in Australia?! I did for only a short time, as well as travelling in New Zealand, and I heard no shortage of this kind of hateful speech. My Aussie roommate hated New Zealanders more than any Canadian I've met who hates the States.

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 15):
Although they did tend to exaggerate in their praise of "Tim Horton's".

Sir, you seriously underestimate the greatness of Tim Horton's...

Oh come on, there are literally a hundred famous Canadians I can name that are more attractive than those two.

I won't say that the Canadians don't owe us an apology, because they do, but not for any of what you've gone on about. They need to apologize for Don Cherry.

I think the Quebecois and the Russians/Europeans are due an apology before the Americans from Don Cherry.
Flying refined.

airtran737

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 25):

Sorry buddy, but you asked for it.

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

HorizonGirl

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:11 pm

You met the wrong Canadians.

I agree, I'm in love with an American, so apparently I'm doing this whole Canadian thing waaayy wrong...  
They need to apologize for Don Cherry.

That, I understand. But I'm afraid my country's main worry should be apologizing for or Justin Bieber. We'll get to Cherry someday I'm sure, but Bieber calls for major damage control.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 19):
To be honest, it humbles me when the US media portrays us in our stereotypical fashion, its actually quite flattering

To be honest, this always gives me a good laugh, too!

Now onto the original question. I can understand that Canada may also want to culturally distance themselves from the US, simply because our cultures are so intertwined that we need to assert our own identities more. I'm not at all saying Canada does not have an individual culture, that could not be further from the truth, but we do receive a lot of the same media and popular culture. Now if you look closer, the cultural differences are too many to count! If you are a Canadian, sit down with an American friend (or vice-versa) and just start talking about your culture and upbringing. Even if you think you've talked about it before, I guarantee you will learn something interesting!

It makes me sad when people think Canadians hate Americans. Of course you're going to find haters wherever you go, it's a fact of life. But from my personal experience, it's much more of a friendly rivalry.

Devon  
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

WestJet747

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 26):

Damn, ya I really did...   

But I gotta say, the gun on that dingy looks pretty intimidating even by American standards!  
Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 27):
But I'm afraid my country's main worry should be apologizing for or Justin Bieber

Flying refined.

Quokkas

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:19 pm

My Aussie roommate hated New Zealanders more

Sadly it is true that some Australians do not like the fact that NZ citizens can not only enter Australia without restriction but are able to access benefits not available to others. Those Australians tend to ignore the "reciprocal" nature of agreements between our two countries.

Here in Western Australia there are many New Zealanders working and I am only too happy that they do. They not only fill jobs that the locals don't wish to, they benefit the booming mining industry and one in particular helps me look after my mother who has Alzheimer's.

Personally, I am in favour of free migration. If capital should be free to move wherever to can gain the greatest return, so too should be labour. The two are dependent upon each other and contrary to popular belief, people are more important than money. .

AirCanada787

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 19):

Most of us Canucks don't hate Americans, but more the foreign policies of the US Government and the mentality of some American's such as

I agree, I don't hate all Americans, I hate some decisions made by the US Government... of course Americans did elect the government to make decisions for them.

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 13):
I know that when travelling some Canadians have not liked the assumption that they are Americans (US citizens). In that sense Canadians may feel overlooked in the same way that a Kiwi would not like to be identified as an Aussie. If in doubt, I will always ask "What Province are you from?", rather than "what State are you from?" A Canadian will not be confused by the question.

I've been to Europe before and I've been to Australia twice now. People rarely assume I am from Canada and always assume I am from the United States. However most often when I say I am from Canada in OZ people immediately are friendlier towards me than the 1 minute before when they assumed I was American. Its an interesting reaction its like they become more interested in you and willing to talk. Its lead me to meet some great people who has told me if I was American they wouldn't have been so friendly.

Also random fact, I know some Americans that have put Canadian flags on their backpacks while travelling thru Europe because they said people were friendlier to them.

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 26):

See its attitudes like that which fuel the hate. Just because we don't want to blow trillions on military spending we get berated. In the end we don't need a massive military because not many people are out to get us. Is our military in need of upgrades? Yes, but it hasn't kept us out of being involved in conflicts. Really the only thing I have agreed with our current government doing is to spend some money to greatly improve our forces.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

Rara

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 pm

I guess the reason why many Canadians dislike Americans is that they know them pretty well.   

Just kidding.  
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

sccutler

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:26 pm

I’ve a number of friends, acquaintances and a few clients who are Canadian, and I have never, ever, encountered a hint of the antipathy of which the OP speaks. I’ve found them to be gracious, neighborly and friendly. My best friend is Canadian (OK, *was* Canadian, he’s Texan, now). We have a pretty compelling shared history, and inextricably linked present and future.

Funny thing is, I always heard that the French (especially Parisians) were arrogant and rude, and they failed to deliver that at all when I was in Paris.

I wonder (idly) whether the attitude you get can be in part a reflection of the attitude you give?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

cgnnrw

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 pm

I've also noticed that I do get better treatment when people know I'm a Canadian

I've experienced this first hand. I was out with 3 Canadians (here in Cologne) and of course we were speaking NORTH AMERICAN English. The person waiting our table asked us "are you from the US?". I answered "I am" and received a "hmm, yeah whatever" in return. My friends said "we're from Canada". The waiter responded "oh, that's sooo cool, wow we hardly ever get Canadians here". The next few minutes I was subjected to praises of Canadian Rockie Mts, Toronto, ice hockey, poutain and again Tim Horton's.......

I sometime think Canadians are sort of a living urban legend....people know they exist but somehow have never encountered one face to face and when they do they're tickled pink about it.
A330 man.

Quokkas

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 30):
Its lead me to meet some great people who has told me if I was American they wouldn't have been so friendly.

Which is really sad because people are people, despite where they come from and what their governments decide. It's not as if you had a direct line to Harper (he is still PM, isn't he? We hear so little of Canada in Oz and that is half of the problem) and could determine policy any more than the average US citizen has a direct line to Obama.

On the other hand, the prejudice has created a problem for US citizens. Many feel the need to defend their country even though they don't have any more say over policy. The assumption of the word American to assume US hasn't helped. I understand that people in the rest of the Americas feel left out as well.

An anecdote: I was part of a tour group visiting the Opera House in Budapest. The tour Guide who was meant to take us through unfurled a flag and said, "Follow me." Everybody hissed. The tour guide looked confused as he meant no offence. It was explained to him that everyone present was from Canada and Australia. The flag that he has was the Stars and Stripes. Unabashed, he said that he could compromise. He furled the flag around the staff and held it upside down. No doubt some US citizen would have been offended. The group, suitably appeased went on its way. The question arises, was the hissing due to the US flag or the assumption that English speakers are American (read US)?

[Edited 2012-03-27 13:38:44]

WestJet747

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 32):
I wonder (idly) whether the attitude you get can be in part a reflection of the attitude you give?

Absolutely! My friends always bitch and complain about the service they receive when they fly, and are astounded when I tell them that I almost never have any issues, even though I fly more than them. Fact of the matter is, I respect CSRs, FAs and whatever other staff you may encounter in your travels, and the sentiment is almost always reciprocated. A perfect example: I sat on hold with Qantas for ages while they couldn't figure out how to process my request, only to have the computer crash when they did figure it out. This took away about an hour of my night, but I remained positive and assuring everytime they came off hold to apologize. When all was said and done they waived the fees I was expecting to pay because I was so respectful. This happened twice, with the same result both times. So by being a gracious customer and spending an extra hour or two on the phone (not like I'd be doing anything more productive otherwise) I saved myself hundreds of dollars. Not bad, eh?

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 33):
poutain

I think you mean poutine**, the artery-clogging food of the gods.  
Quoting Quokkas (Reply 34):
Harper (he is still PM, isn't he?

He sure is. Probably not going anywhere anytime soon either.

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 34):
The question arises, was the hissing due to the US flag or the assumption that English speakers are American (read US)?

It was absolutely the latter. I can't imagine they would have a reason to disrespect any flag, let alone that of our neighbour. But I can certainly attest to their frustration in being assumed American. It gets old really fast.
Flying refined.

canoecarrier

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm

I've traveled and worked extensively in Canada and for the most part I've never had anyone be rude or disrespectful to be because I'm American. Some of the best people I've ever met are Canadian. And, my experience isn't limited to a few of the large border cities like Toronto or Vancouver, in general I've been treated wonderfully all over the country in towns like Whitehorse, Kenora, Prince George and Yellowknife.

That's not to say that I didn't get into some interesting conversations about our foreign policies (even pre-Gulf War II), but those views on the US aren't necessarily limited to Canadians as you can see above.

Canada is a great friend and neighbor to our country. That's not to say that they don't have problems with their reputation here in the States as well. One of my pet peeves about Canada is it's very difficult now for a US citizen to work there unless you're in a few career fields but I run into Canadians all the time working here.

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 27):
That, I understand. But I'm afraid my country's main worry should be apologizing for or Justin Bieber. We'll get to Cherry someday I'm sure, but Bieber calls for major damage control.

Half my wardrobe is based off of suits Don Cherry has worn on Hockey Night in Canada! But, you can keep Bieber and Nickelback.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

smittyone

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:25 pm

Funny thing is, I always heard that the French (especially Parisians) were arrogant and rude, and they failed to deliver that at all when I was in Paris.

Same experience here with French Canada. I was treated like royalty in Quebec. I think it comes down to how you carry yourself.

I remember as a teenager I spent a summer in Japan. About a month into it I ran into a mid-20s fat loud American guy acting like the biggest jackass you could possibly imagine at one of the tourist areas in Tokyo - the first "ugly American" I'd ever seen. So I can see why after exposure to enough of these Bluto types people might be turned off on Americans.

I've long held the belief that Canadians are just pretty cool people in general...they have a completely different attitude. Probably what Americans would be more like if they weren't carrying around the self-imposed baggage of being the "savior of the world", ugly scar of slavery ruining our race relations, uptight religious history continuing today etc.

So, I love Canada and would consider changing teams, but I've already pledged allegiance to our Constitution and up there "The beer sucks"  

Kent350787

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 36):
Half my wardrobe is based off of suits Don Cherry has worn on Hockey Night in Canada! But, you can keep Bieber and Nickelback.

And Buble and Dion. Russell Crowe is the only Kiwi musical act we'd like to give back.....

We love our Kiwi cousins, but I really expect there is a thing happening in all countries with a larger/more powerful neighbour. I love the way that Kiwi comedians often take the pus out of Aussies, and prick the arrogance that I see growing in our country. Love how in Bro'town the Kiwis and the SA immigrants combine against the Aussies. But many Aussies envy Kiwi foreign policy independence from the US, and love our cousins across the dutch dearly, even when they're wearing jandals. And it's a pity the RNZAF fighter fleet is no longer permanently based in Australia.

As to the Canadian thing, a comedian here was talking about performing in Canada recently and noted the excitement around relative econmic performamce - wh'd have thought a comedy aduience would have been excited about exchange rates, chanting "1.06, 1.06"  

SlamClick

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 16):
They didn't [fight alongside the US] in Vietnam

As a nation, no they did not but I knew a number of Canadians who served there. I met two Canadians in Hong Kong on R&R from Vietnam while serving with the Australian armed forces. I knew two Canadians who joined the US Army and became helicopter pilots and flew in Vietnam.

I also had one Canadian working for me in the Army who just could not leave his dope alone and eventually got a dishonorable discharge. It took so long to process that it only ended up shortening his time in the US Army [which he hated] by a few days.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

texan

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Australia and New Zealand have a similar rivalry, but you would never hear a New Zealander say they hate Australia and vice-versa!

Really? Because I hear it from a lot of people here in New Zealand. And I hear the same thing from some of my Aussie friends living both here and across the Tasman.

I've been to Canada many times. Met many Canadians (Canadiens too). Every person I've met has been at least as polite and respectful to me and to the U.S. as I am to them and Canada. This includes people from all across Canada, from Magog to Vancouver. Change your attitude about Canada owing the U.S. anything, stop trying to prove your superiority over Canadians/ens and others, and you probably won't have any more problems with our wonderful neighbours to the North. In other words, maybe it isn't Americans they don't like. Maybe they just don't like your attitude about the U.S. and Canada.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

jetblueguy22

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:30 pm

Boy if Canadians hate America I certainly don't see it where I live. Every weekend there are tons that come down to Grand Forks from Winnipeg to go shopping. I've never heard anything Anti American. My only problem is with how they drive. But I'm originally from Connecticut, still have that east coast driver in me    .
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Stealthz

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:05 am

I spent time in Paris with folk from various countries and never once met with a reception less than gracious courteous and helpful(My one bad experierience due to lack of local language was in Brussels)

Quoting Revelation (Reply 14):
If you want to feel better, ask an Anglophone Canadian what they think about Quebecois or vice versa.

Funny thing that, the only person I met that received a bad time in Paris was Quebecois, A French aquaintance back in Australia explained it to me, Australians, English, Americans, most Canadians have the good grace to know they are not French.. the Quebecois think they are!!

Whilst on my Euro travels I spent time with two lovely young ladies from the USA, best friends though very different. One Loud and Brash** the other sweet, demure and polite,one was treated civilly, one treated almost like royalty.. you guess which!!

** Proclaiming loudly to me and two other Australians how they helped us win two wars in Europe, whilst in the Hofbrauhaus in Munich, likely endeared her to few along with displaying a significant lack of understanding of those events.
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

USPIT10L

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:15 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 37):
"The beer sucks"

Be careful, you might incite a riot with that one!  

"Surrender her pronto, or we'll level Toronto!"
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Cadet985

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:21 am

The only people who know what a Tim Hortons is live within 50 miles of the border

I know of at least one Tim Horton's in NYC, and doing a check on their website, I show at least 15 locations in NYC, which is a lot farther then 50 miles from the border.

Marc

canoecarrier

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:26 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 44):
I know of at least one Tim Horton's in NYC, and doing a check on their website, I show at least 15 locations in NYC, which is a lot farther then 50 miles from the border.

That doesn't mean Timmy's is good. I like 2nd Cup Coffee better. For the longest time you couldn't even get an espresso drink at Tim Hortons.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

USPIT10L

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 am

The only people who know what a Tim Hortons is live within 50 miles of the border

I live in Pittsburgh, which is certainly not 50 miles from the border, and there's a Horton's at Consol Energy Center.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Revelation

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:27 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 37):
I've long held the belief that Canadians are just pretty cool people in general...

To prove otherwise, why don't you start a thread in CivAv titled "Why Doesn't Air Canada Move its HQ to Toronto?" 

It'll be a step above the current "Air Canada Ground Employees Walk off Job at YYZ" thread in terms of seeing Canadians loose their cool.

Maybe to help out the thread starter, we should start a "How Do You Piss Off A Canadian" thread here? 
Inspiration, move me brightly!

smittyone

Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 47):
Maybe to help out the thread starter, we should start a "How Do You Piss Off A Canadian" thread here? 

Haha that would be funny!

I used to frequently drive across Ontario (between Michigan and New York), back before passports and all that. I remember thinking "What's with all the donut shops?" LOL.

I'm sure we're guilty of the same thing down here in terms of McDonald's or whatever but it really struck me as funny at the time.

flipdewaf

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:51 am

Why Are Canadians So Anti-American?

Maybe because of sweeping culteral generalisations that some Americans seem to make.

Ferd