einsteinboricua
Topic Author

No Giving Your FB Password...but Adding Your Boss?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 pm

So, we've all talked about giving your FB password, but get a load of this: I got this offer to go work for the summer at Oklahoma and they recommend I add the people who will be my superiors so to speak. Would you think that is a wise move?

I feel a bit uncomfortable with that. They say it's only to get to know each other, but I'm not so crazy with the idea. So, if someone asked you to add your boss, would you do it?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

FlyKev
Crew

RE: No Giving Your FB Password...but Adding Your Boss?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 pm

One of the upsides to Facebook is that they have made it possible to restrict what different types of people can see. I personally have added one of my work managers, however they find themselves in a special little group which restricts what they can and cannot see on my facebook profile.

So no, to me it isn't crazy to add a manager to your facebook profile however I would say your a little crazy adding them and not limiting access - but then again as they say if you have nothing to hide...

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

lewis

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am

I would hesitate to add them before even formally meeting them or seeing what kind of people they are.

I have some of my managers/colleagues as friends in FB because they are the sort of people that I hang out with, we grab drinks every week, we don't have a problem discussing any subject and such.

L410Turbolet

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:02 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):
I feel a bit uncomfortable with that., but I'm not so crazy with the idea. So, if someone asked you to add your boss, would you do it?

No. I think it's really bizarre that something what is in essence a private activity should have any relevance to your getting or not getting a job.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):
They say it's only to get to know each other

Do people not meet and/or introduce themselves to each other anyomore? You know have normal social or professional life? BTW, how do you "get to know someone" from posting crap on FB? I apologize for asking stupid questions but my FB account is very much neglected, visited maybe once a month as I waste too much time on a.net and elswhere already. I don't understand what is the big deal about FB...

AirCanada787

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:09 am

First off I never add anyone to Facebook that I haven't meet in person. Also I have work people on my Facebook, I have people who are above me such as our district manager and I also have people that I am manger for. Both groups are restricted thanks to Facebooks privacy settings, just like flykev mentioned above. For example they can't see any pictures except my profile pictures. Do I really have anything to hid? No. But only my closest friends can see my pictures, while there is nothing illegal or outrageous in them, (well measuring outrageous according to the standards that any respectable young 20-year old gay man uses) they just don't need to see them.
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

ozglobal

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:34 pm

First of all, in most EU countries such requirements or even requests would be considered an illegal breach of privacy laws.

Further, if I were unfortunate enough to be confronted by such impertinence, my response would be to propose an invitation to join my PROFESSIONAL network, on LikedIn, and not my private life on FB.

Otherwise, by analogy, I should allow them to stay in my house regularly so that they can be sure what sort of person I REALLY am....
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Mir

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:39 pm

If I had a close enough relationship with my supervisors that I felt I could add them, I'd do it. But that's the sort of thing that's built up over time - I certainly wouldn't do it right off the bat.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ACDC8

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Its just another way the employeer is trying to spy on your private life instead of asking for the password directly. So the same rule goes for me giving my password, not gonna happen. FB is a way for me to stay in touch with my friends and family, nothing more and nothing less. Having said that, my boss is on my FB friends list but thats simply because we've become very good friends outside of FB and the office over the years so I added a friend and not an employer.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Braybuddy

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Yet another good reason to avoid Facebook. Delete your account and sign-up for Google Plus.

airportugal310

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
If I had a close enough relationship with my supervisors that I felt I could add them, I'd do it. But that's the sort of thing that's built up over time - I certainly wouldn't do it right off the bat.

Yup.

Friends with my boss on FB...no problem. Guy is early 60's anyways...not too easily offended
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

ajd1992

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 8):
Yet another good reason to avoid Facebook. Delete your account and sign-up for Google Plus.

You may as well be this guy if you're going to do that...

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:48 pm

I'll most likely add them once I've become acquainted with them. If there's one thing people should know about me is that I'm very outspoken against many things (religion, politics, social issues, etc.) I don't want to jeopardize any good relations we might have.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 8):
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."