alberchico
Topic Author

Who Will See Titanic 3D?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:31 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...dbre83217c-20120403,0,751839.story

One of the greatest movies of all time will be re-released in 3d. Who here will go see it ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

einsteinboricua

RE: Who Will See Titanic 3D?

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:48 am

I'm thinking of going. The effects should be amazing!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Jetsgo

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 am

I will definitely see it. And to all the haters out there:

Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 am

I've seen the Titanic more times than I really need to. The 3D version of it is basically gonna be the same thing, except things sticking out and wearing glasses to see it. 3D viewing gives me a headache...... I have read that a lot of people have the same problem, too. And 3D is not that popular in theaters as the industry was hoping it would have been.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 3):
And 3D is not that popular in theaters as the industry was hoping it would have been.

Probably because it's so f@#%ing expensive!

I'm not a fan of the idea of converting a film to 3D. If it wasn't shot in 3D, it's not worth it IMO.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

sudden

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 am

In my mind you can turn't shit on to something good. To do this you need a good foundation in the first place.
I am a movie fan and watch lots of movies, but this crap wont ever become good.
When in doubt, flat out!

OA260

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 4):

Really ? Here the cost is alot cheaper than it used to be in fact I started going to the cinema again its only around EUR6.80 here for the daytime shows.

I will go to see it mainly because my other half wants to see it , I liked the movie, its not my all time favourite and I preffered the things about the Titanic rather than the story line but I will see it . 3D should be good , I have 3D TV at home and love the difference.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:56 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 4):

It is. It is about $1-$2 more than a regular showing without the 3D crap.

Geezer

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 am

Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about "The Titanic" ! It was probably the single biggest stupidity- caused disaster in history, I have enjoyed reading about it in National Geographic Magazine and at least 3 or 4 very good books, but I wouldn't go see the "original" movie if James Cameron offered to come pick me up in a limo, and take me as his "guest" ! The guy's an ego-maniac ! Hollywood, who needs it ? Not me ! Are there ANY "good" movies ? IMHO, not many; and "The Titanic" certainly wasn't one of the very few that I would bother to waste my valuable time, going to see.
And now, they have turned it into 3-D ? I wouldn't go see it if it was in 5-D, or even 13-D !

There are roughly 1,500 dead people (or at least their bones) lying on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean; they have been there now for 100 years; their tragic deaths were caused by unbeliveable stupidity, greed, and ignorance; I can "go along" with the original effort that was made to find the Titanic; but I am appalled by people like James Cameron turning the Titanic's (and all those poor people who went down with her) final "resting place into a damned "tourist attraction".

Does anyone have any idea how many ship wrecks, and how many airliners are lying on the bottom of the world's oceans ?
Thousands. But for what ever reason, with "Hollywood" and all of it's publicity, the "public" just can't seem to let those poor souls who went down with the Titanic R.I.P.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

EY460

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:33 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 8):
It was probably the single biggest stupidity- caused disaster in history

Don't forget the Costa Concordia. Of course there are less deaths, but stupidity wise is beating everybody.

FingerLakerAv8r

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:51 am

I hate to break it to everyone but the ship sinks and Jack dies.

Carry on.

desertjets

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 10):
I hate to break it to everyone but the ship sinks and Jack dies.

Carry on.

And Rose always had the diamond and threw it in the ocean when she was an old lady.

What no comments about Kate Winslett in 3D?
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

zckls04

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:13 pm

My wife is going to force me to watch it, I fear. Any suggestions on how to get out of it?
Four Granavox Turbines!

desertjets

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 12):
Any suggestions on how to get out of it?

Boating accident.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

FingerLakerAv8r

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:31 pm

My wife is going to force me to watch it, I fear. Any suggestions on how to get out of it?

Cyanide.

elbandgeek

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Will he draw her like one of his French girls in 3D?

No, but seriously. Titanic is on the short list of my all-time least favorite movies. The only times I will ever watch it are when I'm in a jerkish trolling mood and want to make fun of it and everything James Cameron does (same goes for Avatar).

So yeah, there's about a 78% chance I'll go see it.

AF1624

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I wouldn't go and watch it even if I was paid large amounts of money for that. I hate 3D movies. The only thing I hate more than 3D movies is people trying to make money out of non-3D movies re-made for vague 3D.
Cheers

Starbuk7

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I did not see it when it first came out, so I will not go to see it in 3D either. We all know what happens and it is basically a love story.

The only reason I watched the new Pearl Harbor movie was for the actual attack scene, the rest of the movie I couldn't have cared less about.

As a side note I will not go see Star Wars in 3D either.

I really do not care for the 3D movies in general, went to see Tron in 3D and was not impressed, not impressed with the 3D television demo's in the stores either.

RussianJet

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Hell no, it sucked badly enough the first time round without it leaping off the screen to get me.

Any suggestions on how to get out of it?

Tell her that you wouldn't be seen dead lining the pockets of the producers of such pap.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

NoUFO

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm

While I respect your opinion, the mistake you seem to make is that you connect arts with the what-question: What story does the movie tell, what is it all about? But art should rather be linked to the how-question? How does the director tell the story? Either the story is well-played and well directed, entertaining and thus worth to be seen- or not. Either way, it doesn't really matter what the movie is about.
And I do think Cameron knows how to tell the story he had in mind.

With that being said, Titanic, the ship, is only the facade, even the boy-meets-girl theme isn't really the story Cameron wanted to tell. If you are interested in the "what" behind the movie rather than the "how": The movie is actually about a sociological phenomenon: Young women in their adolescence often lose much of their self-esteem because they realise that their role in the society is very much predetermined, no matter what their interests or how intelligent they are.
Of course this was an even bigger issue 100 years ago than it (still) is nowadays.

Rose is going through exatly this phase while Jack tries to strengthen her self-esteem. Even the drawing scene in which Jack is making a rough painting of the nude Rose is part of it. You need to be self confident to pose naked.

In the end it is not just the Titanic that is sinking. It is the glistening, bloathed society in a nutshell that breaks apart and goes down while Rose escapes into the insecurity of the night. The rest of the way is up to her, that's way Jack is going to die.

Perhaps try to see the movie under this aspect. Whether or not Cameron is an ego-maniac (do you know him personally?) doesn't really matter, does it?

[Edited 2012-04-04 11:33:04]
I support the right to arm bears

NoUFO

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Quoting starbuk7 (Reply 17):
and it is basically a love story.

Well, not really. See my post above.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 19):
With that being said, Titanic, the ship, is only the facade, even the boy-meets-girl theme isn't really the story Cameron wanted to tell. If you are interested in the "what" behind the movie rather than the "how": The movie is actually about a sociological phenomenon: Young women in their adolescence often lose much of their self-esteem because they realise that their role in the society is very much predetermined, no matter what their interests or how intelligent they are.
Of course this was an even bigger issue 100 years ago than it (still) is nowadays.

Rose is going through exatly this phase while Jack tries to strengthen her self-esteem. Even the drawing scene in which Jack is making a rough painting of the nude Rose is part of it. You need to be self confident to pose naked.

In the end it is not just the Titanic that is sinking. It is the glistening, bloathed society in a nutshell that breaks apart and goes down while Rose escapes into the insecurity of the night. The rest of the way is up to her, that's way Jack is going to die.

Perhaps try to see the movie under this aspect. Whether or not Cameron is an ego-maniac (do you know him personally?) doesn't really matter, does it?

I do not like James Cameron and I don't care much for the movie. However, THIS is the part of the film that does interest me. I find the whole social aspect of the film fascinating, just as much as the historical aspect of the tragedy.

[Edited 2012-04-04 11:44:49]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AR385

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 3):
And 3D is not that popular in theaters as the industry was hoping it would have been.

No. I´m too paranoid about getting pink-eye infections wearing those 3D glasses to bother. I don´t care wether they say they throw them away or wash them.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Quoting FingerLakerAv8r (Reply 10):
Jack dies.

The real question if this character is real or a fake. My guess it is a fake.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 20):
and it is basically a love story.

Well, not really.

I'm not sure if you are watching the same "Titanic" that we are watching but yes, it is. It is a part of the storyline to the actual events that took place April 12, 1902. Cameron needed a storyline that leads up to the actual event to keep people glued onto the movie instead of showing only the actual events for 3 hours that shows people doing nothing but freaking out.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 22):
I´m too paranoid about getting pink-eye infections wearing those 3D glasses to bother.

That's something I never thought about. I went to one 3D movie, Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey, and I was given a set of glasses that was in a sealed pouch.

DocLightning

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

If I hear that f*@#@ song one more time, my heart will go off!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):

I guess you just did.....

my heart will go off!

Sounds like you changed the lyrics now!   

garpd

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I might go see it for the sinking. I love the sinking part.

Is that a bad thing?
arpdesign.wordpress.com

ajd1992

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Not me.

It was shite in 2D, and in 3D it'll just be expensive and shite.

lhr380

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 16):

I like those kind of comments. Are you saying if I gave you £100 to sit in the cinema for 2 hours watching this movie, you would really say no?
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

RussianJet

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Amen. Celine Dion sucks. That song sucks. The whole wretched film sucks, except the bit where boat sinks, which was mildly funny.

JakeOrion

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Movie for me in a nutshell:

Boat loads passengers
Boat leaves port
Man and woman fall in love
Sex
Boat hits Ice burg
Boat sinks
Many die including man
Everyone dies at the end

So why am I going to go pay $20+ to see it in 3D when I can go buy a model of it for half the price, build it, and let it sink in my swimming pool or bathtub while wearing glasses?
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 30):
why am I going to go pay $20+ to see it in 3D when I can go buy a model of it for half the price, build it, and let it sink in my swimming pool or bathtub while wearing glasses?

LOL! I think you just took Titanic to a whole new level! The best quote on this thread thus far!

BTW: No disrespect to the victims of this horrible tragedy, however.....

connies4ever

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:34 pm

The original was a dreadful movie. Wayyyyyyyyy too long, and lacking any sense of drama. The only time I saw it was on AC873 FRA-YYZ in 1998 (I guess). I wanted to stand up and shout "sink, dammit" about half way through the movie.

Kudos for the replication of Titanic, it was well done. Also the Irish dance scene in steerage. Otherwise a waste of time.

I hate it when various people romanticize events to the point that it doesn't actually comport with what actually happened.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

RussianJet

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 30):
So why am I going to go pay $20+ to see it in 3D when I can go buy a model of it for half the price, build it, and let it sink in my swimming pool or bathtub while wearing glasses?

Save us all $20 and build that model. Please? I would truly be more interested in watching your model of the Titanic sink in your pool than I would be in seeing the movie under discussion at a cinema.

NoUFO

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 23):
I'm not sure if you are watching the same "Titanic" that we are watching but yes, it is.

But not *basically* as starbuk7 said it was. *Basically* it is a movie about an identity crisis typical for young women. It is an invitation to think about how much or how little our society has changed since then. Did the society that so much predetermines the life of women sink or is it still there?
Would you say Titanic was basically a feminist movie or a socio-critical analysis, I would agree. But the love story is really just the wrapping.

the actual events that took place April 12, 1902

The birth of George Vincent "Gigi" Kenneally, Sr?

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 34):

Typo, my mistake. April 14th.

*Basically* it is a movie about an identity crisis typical for young women. It is an invitation to think about how much or how little our society has changed since then. Did the society that so much predetermines the life of women sink or is it still there?
Would you say Titanic was basically a feminist movie or a socio-critical analysis, I would agree. But the love story is really just the wrapping.

It is a love story, a chick flick, through and through. Cameron needed a storyline, he created one and this is what we got.

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 28):

I like those kind of comments. Are you saying if I gave you £100 to sit in the cinema for 2 hours watching this movie, you would really say no?

And I like those kind of comments! Are you saying that if I made an extremely, grossly, unbelievably, ineffably exaggerated statement, you would really think I was serious?

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 29):
That song sucks.

Oh god, yes it does suck.

But art should rather be linked to the how-question? How does the director tell the story? Either the story is well-played and well directed, entertaining and thus worth to be seen- or not. Either way, it doesn't really matter what the movie is about.

I disagree. While the HOW is certainly as important, if not more important, the subject you choose (the WHAT) is part and parcel of art. While the sociological aspects of the movie might be mildly interesting, I think the love story and the sinking are too distracting, and I tend to doubt that most people who see it come away thinking about the aspects you mentioned.

Of course, it's been however-many-years since I saw the movie.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Silver1SWA
Crew

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 35):

Typo, my mistake. April 14th.

*COUGH* 1912 *COUGH*

Sorry. Trying to get over this terrible cold!

[Edited 2012-04-04 15:45:03]

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 37):
*COUGH* 1912 *COUGH*

I'm so terrible with my typos today. Argh!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Silver1SWA.

I deserve a slap in the head today.

Geezer

Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 pm

While I respect your opinion, the mistake you seem to make is that you connect arts with the what-question: What story does the movie tell, what is it all about? But art should rather be linked to the how-question? How does the director tell the story? Either the story is well-played and well directed, entertaining and thus worth to be seen- or not. Either way, it doesn't really matter what the movie is about.
And I do think Cameron knows how to tell the story he had in mind.

No UFO........I can assure you, I didn't make any mistake !

I respect your opinion too ! But you seem to have missed my whole point; The title of this thread is, "Who will go see Titanic in 3-D ?"

I'm not trying to discourage others from doing anything ! If you enjoy, say, bull fights, by all means go see them; I'm just answering the question the title asks; "who willl go........." I'm really just not entertained by movies in general; there are a few "exceptions", but they are quite rare; a lot of people, (most probably), will go see a particular film because of who's in the film; I used to enjoy seeing Sean Connery in films; I still think he's a very good actor, as actors go; at the end of the day, I tend not to be very much "into" actors (and actresses) in general. I'm a lot more interested in "the REAL world. To answer your question, no, I have never met James Cameron; I hardly think that means that I can't "dislike" him if I choose to do so; I've never met Oliver Stone either, and I'm absolutely positive that I DESPISE him !

I'm equally certain that there are many people "out there" that you don't like, but that you have never actually met.

To me, the whole matter of the film being a "great" film or a "lousy" film is really a moot question; to me, the much bigger issue is, the sinking of the Titanic was probably the single worst maritime disaster in history, partly because of the huge loss of life involved, and mainly because it really should never have happened in the first place; to build an ocean liner capable of carrying over 2,000 people, yet having life boats to hold only 1,000 ? And the Captain.......who is supposed to be a man of vast experience, and excellent judgement ? Seems to me he was a man of reckless ambition, and having absolutely NO judgement ! The same applies to White Star Line; A terrible company, by any intelligent person's standards. For over 1,500 trusting people to die a horrible death in the icy water of the North Atlantic is bad enough; for "Hollywood" (think James Cameron) to use such a tragedy as a vehicle to "enrich" himself, and to "satisfy" his insatiable ego, is to my mind, even worse ! So, anyone who chooses to help Mr. Cameron with his financial position, and his huge ego problem, that's your business; I really have no desire to see any movie he makes, and as far as I'm concerned, that's MY business.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

dragon-wings

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:03 am

This is not a good cannidate for a 3D movie. Besides when the ship goes down at the end there isn't enough action scenes before that to justify making this a 3D movie.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

zrs70

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:18 am

Quoting alberchico (Thread starter):
One of the greatest movies of all time will be re-released in 3d. Who here will go see it ?

I saw and enjoyed "Titanic." But I think "A Night to Remember" is a much greater movie. I don't consider "Titanic" one of the greatest movies of all time.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

AF1624

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:00 am

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 28):

I accept cash, cheques and wire transfers  
Cheers

YVRLTN

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:41 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 11):
What no comments about Kate Winslett in 3D?

Haha, the only reason to watch it IMO - bring a book and look up at the relevant moment. If they replaced her with someone hotter, even better!
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

cgnnrw

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Believe it or not I've never seen the original version so I might check it out in 3D. I just hope nobody reveals how it ends. I hate when people tell me the ending of a movie.
A330 man.

AR385

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 44):
I just hope nobody reveals how it ends. I hate when people tell me the ending of a movie.

I think that ship has sailed, if you´ve followed the thread.

Silver1SWA
Crew

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:43 am

I'm not sure if you are watching the same "Titanic" that we are watching but yes, it is.

But not *basically* as starbuk7 said it was. *Basically* it is a movie about an identity crisis typical for young women. It is an invitation to think about how much or how little our society has changed since then. Did the society that so much predetermines the life of women sink or is it still there?

LOL ok so I'm watching that James Cameron special on NatGeo called Titanic: The Final Word and James Cameron recounted the sales pitch to the movie studio. His pitch was he showed them a painting of Titanic and said "this ship, Romeo and Juliet." I immediately thought of this thread.  

AirframeAS

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 46):
His pitch was he showed them a painting of Titanic and said "this ship, Romeo and Juliet."

So it proves my point from the man himself: It is a love story.

flybaurlax

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

I honestly don't really like 3D movies. I think they're overrated. So no I'm definitely not going to pay money for this in 3D, especially since it's a conversion, not filmed originally in 3D.

went to see Tron in 3D and was not impressed,

This movie made the most sense to me in 3D! I really liked how it wasn't in 3D for the beginning part, before the son of Flynn entered the digital world. Only when he was shot into the digital world did you need the 3D glasses. It worked well for the film. I stayed the entire time through the credits to watch the credits scroll by in 3D. Very artistic and futuristic.

Other than that I'm not a big fan of 3D movies. The prices are unbearable for a date, or even dinner with friends after. I have better things to do with my money.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

petertenthije

Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Might as well wait for the Super 3D version to come out! It's got explosions and monsters and storm troopers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxj1mou03M
Attamottamotta!