dragon-wings
Topic Author

Location Of The Simpsons Hometown Revealed

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Simpsons creator Matt Groening reveals that the Simpsons hometown of Springfield is in Oregon.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=717227
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

eaa3

RE: Location Of The Simpsons Hometown Revealed

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:48 pm

Quoting dragon-wings (Thread starter):
Simpsons creator Matt Groening reveals that the Simpsons hometown of Springfield is in Oregon.

BS! He and his writers have written way to many conflicting story lines where Springfield is in other places for it to be reasonable to claim that they had one specific place in mind. The point of them living in Springfield is that every state has a Springfield and therefore this could be anywhere.

Jetsgo

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Shows how lame I am... I always thought it was in Illinois.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

HOMER71

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 am

I always figured Kentucky because there is a Shelbyville 40-50 miles away...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

DocLightning

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:06 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 1):
The point of them living in Springfield is that every state has a Springfield and therefore this could be anywhere.

Springfield also seems to be a Major World City. It has a nuclear plant, a major international airport with nonstop service to every possible destination, and just about every other possible feature of any city anywhere. Hilarious!
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airport

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:22 am

I don't think he was saying Springfield is in Oregon, but rather explaining Springfield,Oregon as being the inspiration for the name and location of Springfield. I'm too lazy to look up his exact quote, but I was under the impression that's what he said.

AirframeAS

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 2):
Shows how lame I am... I always thought it was in Illinois.

You're not the only one. Include me in that!

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 1):
The point of them living in Springfield is that every state has a Springfield and therefore this could be anywhere.

That is a pretty good point. I never thought of it that way. I wonder if there is a Springfield, Colorado.....

And holy CRAP! There is!!!!!

www.springfieldcolorado.com/

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
Springfield also seems to be a Major World City. It has a nuclear plant, a major international airport with nonstop service to every possible destination, and just about every other possible feature of any city anywhere. Hilarious!

They have a real funny way of showing that... The streets in that show are nearly deserted! It look like it is in some hick town somewhere in Kentucky. (No offense to those people there....)
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

sw733

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 am

Quoting homer71 (Reply 3):
I always figured Kentucky because there is a Shelbyville 40-50 miles away...

I thought it was Kentucky too

N174UA

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 am

Quoting Airport (Reply 5):
I don't think he was saying Springfield is in Oregon

There IS a Springfield in Oregon...just east of Eugene. The creator is from Springfield himself, so to me, this is all old news.

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:57 am

Hmmm, I seem to recall an episode where someone points to a map of the US, pointing out where Springfield is. I thought only the middle of the map was covered up by someone's arm (or something).

Hilarious!

In the 90s, I would have agreed with you.

For the last 10 years, I'd categorize it as "occasionally humorous".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NWAESC

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:32 am

Quoting N174UA (Reply 8):
There IS a Springfield in Oregon...just east of Eugene. The creator is from Springfield himself, so to me, this is all old news.

+1

Despite all of Groening's dodging of the question 'til now, there is/was just too much Oregon (and PDX) inspired material on the show for it to have been another state.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

nighthawk

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:49 pm

you forgot the monorail...

AirframeAS

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 10):
there is/was just too much Oregon (and PDX) inspired material on the show for it to have been another state.

It was/is the same thing with South Park. Everything was Colorado this, Colorado that. At least they got it right: The population is low in the mountain areas.

Quoting nighthawk (Reply 11):
you forgot the monorail...

A Seattle thing, not PDX.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:26 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 12):
It was/is the same thing with South Park. Everything was Colorado this, Colorado that. At least they got it right: The population is low in the mountain areas.

The difference being that South Park was explicitly based in Colorado. It wasn't ever a mystery.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

L-188

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 am

Old news.

Years ago it was rumored that the Springfield Nuclear Plant was modeled on the old Trojan Plant outside Longview Washington.

By years ago, I mean during the Clinton Administration
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

tommy767

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:28 pm

I always thought Springfield was supposed to be Los Angeles but Oregon definitely makes sense.

David Mirkin, one of the main producers on the show went to my film school in LA. Rumor has it that Moe's tavern was supposedly based off this dive bar outside campus which, upon entering in 2007 was a doppelganger for Moe's -- 2 old pool tables, stained glass windows over bar, old carpeting, and circular leather booth tables (most notably featured in the episode where Moe opens his restaurant "uncle moe's family feedbag" -- or something like that.)

In 2008 when I became legally able to drink they redesigned fireside and made it this trendy bar called "Tomkin Square." They took out the pool tables and added real tables, installed brand new wooden accents on and around the bar, added fireplaces, but kept the circular leather booth tables in the back.

So one day I was drunk and about to graduate in 2009 and was thinking about when I first entered the place in 2007. I look up and I see a little plastic Moe's Tavern figuring playset like this one hanging over the bar:

So apparently rumor was right  
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA