phatfarmlines
Topic Author

Ikea Sofa Purchase: Red Or Black Color?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:16 am

I'm thinking about purchasing the IKEA "Vreta" sofa bed. It comes in four colors: Ivory, brown, red, & black. Ivory is ruled out because the model at the IKEA showcase is rather dirty and stains probably show up better; brown is ruled out because the hardwood floor at my home is mostly a brown color, which leaves red & black.

Black seems too cliche in the furniture world and it seems everyone has black furniture, but it blends in with just about anything. Red does seem to stand out more than black, but would this be appropriate in a bachelor home? I am also concerned about the impact red furniture would have to prospective buyers if I decide to put my home on the market.

Any suggestions?

Ken777

RE: Ikea Sofa Purchase: Red Or Black Color?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:52 am

Between the two I like the red - on the internet it looks softer than a bright red.

I don't mind black, but believe I would get tired of it over time.

Of the 4 my choice would be the Ivory, and I'd also buy some quality leather cleaner.

ArmitageShanks

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:19 am

We have both black and red leather furniture and the red is DRASTICALLY better with keeping and looking clean.

zippyjet

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:05 am

Some sage advice:
  • Make sure you can put the thing together.
  • Check out the quality; some Ikea products self destruct, others are good values for the $$$
  • If you can't pronounce the funny name don't sweat it.
  • Color wise, I couldn't tell you. E-Mail Tim Gunn or HGTV for decorating input!

Best of luck.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

September11

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:27 am

Black sofa for me w/ red rug underneath it (wood floor)
Airliners.net of the Future

larshjort

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:48 am

My first choice would be the ivory and buy some leather care to protect the leather, it will also make it easier to clean.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 3):
Make sure you can put the thing together
Instructions

Doesn't look like rocket sciense to me  

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Francoflier

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Black will stand the test of time, both fashion wise and cleanliness wise, even if it's not very original.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

luckyone

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Quoting phatfarmlines (Thread starter):
Any suggestions?

Buy from somewhere else. Ikea furniture is not that great. The fabric attracts dirt and dust like a magnet and the pillows will sag and lump very quickly. You can find much better quality furniture for more or less the same prices with a little groundwork. Just my two cents.

usflyer msp

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:23 pm

It really doesn't matter because you will be

Quoting luckyone (Reply 7):
Buy from somewhere else. Ikea furniture is not that great. The fabric attracts dirt and dust like a magnet and the pillows will sag and lump very quickly. You can find much better quality furniture for more or less the same prices with a little groundwork. Just my two cents.

I concur. IMHO it does not really matter which colour you purchase because if you don't like it you will be replacing it in two years anyway.

Kent350787

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:19 pm

quote=zippyjet,reply=3]Check out the quality; some Ikea products self destruct, others are good values for the $$$[/quote]
I agree on this one. Our furniture is mostly IKEA, but we went into it with our eyes open - overall there seems to be about 3 levels of quality there. We have a Beddinge sofa bed in blue which is going well, but hasn't been in the living area on a regular basis.

We recently switched from 16 years of black leather in the lounge room to a greenish brown - good aniline leather is worth the money.

zippyjet

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 am

Another consideration: do you have pets? Especially if you have cats the furniture can take a beating. My 2 short bus kitties shed a lot so I have to bring out the Hoover. The crappier quality furniture can actually have their lives shortened by frequent suction from your vacuum not to mention the pet dander and bur.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

phatfarmlines
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm on a hung jury right now with the decision. Seems alot are questioning the quality of IKEA. I've purchased many items from there and can't say i've had a problem - i've been impressed.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 10):
Another consideration: do you have pets? Especially if you have cats the furniture can take a beating. My 2 short bus kitties shed a lot so I have to bring out the Hoover.

Not a fan of cats, but i plan on gettig a dog.

mika

Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Red! I recently got myself a 3+2 combo of 'Kivik' in bright red. Love something that stands out from the regular dark sofas everyone has just out of convenience.