alberchico
Topic Author

Woman Dies Trying To Live Off Sunlight Alone....

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...ht-live-sunlight-article-1.1067359

Seriously how can people in this day and age be so stupid ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

vegetables2001

RE: Woman Dies Trying To Live Off Sunlight Alone....

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Idiot

Gotta love Darwin.
A306,319,333 ATR72 BAC113/5, B703/704,717,721,732/3/4/5/7/8,741/1/4,757,763,773/E, DC8-6,9-3/5,10-30, DC106

AR385

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:10 pm

It happened last week. And, according to the news piece I read, about 6 people have died doing the same thing since the 90s.

Tugger

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:11 pm

Quoting alberchico (Thread starter):

I believe Forrest Gump covered that.....

(Do I really have to say it....... ?)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DocLightning

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 1):
Gotta love Darwin.

Darwin only applies if she didn't have kids.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

airportugal310

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):

This is news to me...I was under the assumption that it applied to anyone who went against obvious common sense...and was "offed" as a result

Miriam-Webster defines 'natural selection' as:
a natural process that results in the survival and reproductive success of individuals or groups best adjusted to their environment and that leads to the perpetuation of genetic qualities best suited to that particular environment

So one could interpret that as: you die as a result of poor genetic qualities, and were not able to reproduce offspring that would have otherwise been weak...

just my .02, curiosity, etc...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

DocLightning

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 5):
This is news to me...I was under the assumption that it applied to anyone who went against obvious common sense...and was "offed" as a result

Right. So if she already had kids, the genes got passed on. It's up to them to off themselves with idiocy before THEY reproduce.

"YOU! Out of the gene pool!"
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Mir

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 pm

Now, I'm not a doctor, but it is my understanding that if you try and survive off of sunlight, you're not feeling fine one moment and dead the next - there is quite a degradation process. With that in mind, did nobody know that this woman was obviously dying and decide to get her to a hospital?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AR385

Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
With that in mind, did nobody know that this woman was obviously dying and decide to get her to a hospital?

She had grown up children. They did everything they could to get her to eat. She refused. This was in Switzerland so I take it would be agains te law to force feed someone, so, she died.

MD11Engineer

Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
Now, I'm not a doctor, but it is my understanding that if you try and survive off of sunlight, you're not feeling fine one moment and dead the next - there is quite a degradation process. With that in mind, did nobody know that this woman was obviously dying and decide to get her to a hospital?

-Mir

Unless you developed a green skin (due to chlorophyl content) and therefore received the ability to convert CO2 and H2O into sugars, no chance. This means she effectively had to turn into a plant.
It also depends if she still drank water (where else does the H2O come from, which the plants need?).
And don´t forget all the minerals plants receive from the soil...

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Mir

Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
She had grown up children. They did everything they could to get her to eat. She refused. This was in Switzerland so I take it would be agains te law to force feed someone, so, she died.

Eventually she's going to pass out, though, and at that point doesn't it go from an issue of force-feeding someone to an issue of giving someone life-saving medical attention?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Maverick623

Tue May 01, 2012 4:34 am

Quoting alberchico (Thread starter):

Natural variations in the gene pool. Believe it or not, there is no set order to how things should work. The universe is chaotic, and in that chaos the most lucky survive.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 5):
So one could interpret that as: you die as a result of poor genetic qualities, and were not able to reproduce offspring that would have otherwise been weak...

That's not "natural selections", that's eugenics. Words like "strong" and "weak" can only be applied after the fact and with bias. You may be "deficient" relative to the populace in one area, but "strong" in another. It all depends on your environment.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

AR385

Tue May 01, 2012 4:51 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
and at that point doesn't it go from an issue of force-feeding someone to an issue of giving someone life-saving medical attention?

I don´t know. This was Switzerland and you know how they are over there, in those more "advanced" countries regarding those issues. I´m not a lawyer either, but I believe that what you say applies only if the person had been on an accident, or at least passed out due to causes outside her control. Stupidity, although debatable, still is under your control. So, if she had specifically given instructions not to be fed, I´m not sure wether it could have been done legally, even if she passed out.

In any case, I do believe she was a nut-case, and put her loved ones through an unnecessary ordeal.

If it had been my mother, I would have fed her even if it meant doing it like geese are fed for paté. But then again, I suppose I´m not that advanced.

[Edited 2012-04-30 22:00:17]

raffik

Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 am

Poor woman.. but you would have to be pretty stupid to not realise that you need to eat and drink for your internal organs to function. This is what religion does to people!
- Alec

L410Turbolet

Tue May 01, 2012 9:41 am

Quoting vegetables2001 (Reply 1):
Gotta love Darwin.

Gotta love Darwin Award. She certainly is a serious contender for this year.

ltbewr

Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am

To me, this person had some serious mental health/psychological issues, perhaps premature dementia as well. This was further compounded by the policy for many years of great difficulty in getting persons committed to a psychiatric hospital without their consent making it near impossible to do so to protect themselves.

DocLightning

Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 11):
Natural variations in the gene pool.

Hardly, ARTIFICIAL variations in the gene pool.

Example:
Mom has a baby and completely neglects the baby (which could suggest a genetic defect in behavior).

10,000 years ago: baby dies.
Today: baby removed from home by CPS and raised by foster/adoptive parents.

I could go into further examples, but you can connect the dots.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Tue May 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 10):
Eventually she's going to pass out, though, and at that point doesn't it go from an issue of force-feeding someone to an issue of giving someone life-saving medical attention?

There's a term from my EMT training: implied consent.

Really, unless she had it all legal and proper like with a DNR order in place, I don't see why her children didn't get her medical attention after she passed out.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

Francoflier

Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
Darwin only applies if she didn't have kids.

And she was 50, so Darwin was a bit late.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 11):
You may be "deficient" relative to the populace in one area, but "strong" in another.

She would have been 'strong' in the plant populace...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 16):
Hardly, ARTIFICIAL variations in the gene pool.

Mostly degenarative variations, actually. We allow 'bad' genes into the pool.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 16):
I could go into further examples, but you can connect the dots.

Another simple example is eyesight.
A proportion of the population has degraded eyesight (me included). A caveman born with bad eyesight would never have been able to hunt or be a useful member of his community. He wouldn't have mated and the gene mutation would have died with him (it's still valis for animals). But ever since we invented the refractive lens, it stopped being a handicap and suddenly even us foureyes managed to mate and pass on that gene to our unsuspecting offspring...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

slider

Tue May 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Total Darwin award candidate.

Next....

DocLightning

Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 18):
Another simple example is eyesight.
A proportion of the population has degraded eyesight (me included). A caveman born with bad eyesight would never have been able to hunt or be a useful member of his community. He wouldn't have mated and the gene mutation would have died with him (it's still valis for animals). But ever since we invented the refractive lens, it stopped being a handicap and suddenly even us foureyes managed to mate and pass on that gene to our unsuspecting offspring...

Arguably, might not be as genetic as you think. It may be that the fact that we make kids do a lot more reading these days than we did 50 or 100 years ago could have something to do with it. If their eyes are always focused on a book/screen 50cm from their face, it's not surprising that nearsightedness is so common.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

ajd1992

Tue May 01, 2012 10:26 pm

How stupid can you be?

I've been to Switzerland, It's never bloody sunny there  

Seriously though, this woman was probably in need of some psychiatric help. That's nuts.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 20):
Arguably, might not be as genetic as you think. It may be that the fact that we make kids do a lot more reading these days than we did 50 or 100 years ago could have something to do with it. If their eyes are always focused on a book/screen 50cm from their face, it's not surprising that nearsightedness is so common.

Indeed. I've been using a computer 17 of my 19 years on this planet (I'm an avid reader too) and guess what.... I'm short sighted. -1.50 in my left and -1.25 in my right. Same with my dad - ex computer programmer, horrifically short sighted.

fr8mech

Tue May 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 21):
Indeed. I've been using a computer 17 of my 19 years on this planet (I'm an avid reader too) and guess what.... I'm short sighted. -1.50 in my left and -1.25 in my right. Same with my dad - ex computer programmer, horrifically short sighted.

Actually, "near-sighted". Short-sighted has a whole lot negativeness to it.  
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

ajd1992

Tue May 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 22):
Actually, "near-sighted". Short-sighted has a whole lot negativeness to it.

The term in the UK is actually short-sighted, but I can see your point. 

We should agree on the fact I have Myopia instead.  

allrite

Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 9):
nless you developed a green skin (due to chlorophyl content) and therefore received the ability to convert CO2 and H2O into sugars, no chance.

Confusion between being in a vegetative state and a vegetation state?

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 15):
To me, this person had some serious mental health/psychological issues, perhaps premature dementia as well.

Yes.
I like artificial banana essence!

DocLightning

Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 am

Unless you developed a green skin (due to chlorophyl content) and therefore received the ability to convert CO2 and H2O into sugars, no chance.

Even if you did somehow develop chloroplasts in your skin, it wouldn't help much.

Consider your average tree:
http://www.astwood-herefordshire.co.uk/wildlife/chequers_tree_full.jpg

Look at the surface area of that tree given over to photosynthesis. Enormous. Now, consider the actual VOLUME occupied by the solid portions of the plant (i.e. if you were to crush the whole thing down, as opposed to its full expanded volume). It's actually pretty small. A tree like the one pictured might weigh a couple of hundred kg at most but would have the photosynthetic surface area of something like a tennis court or two. Now, a tree has pretty low metabolic needs. Basically, it needs to maintain cellular functions, it needs to use osmotic forces to move fluids around, and it needs to grow.

Now, consider a human being:

The surface area wouldn't be enough to wallpaper a phone booth. The mass, however, is about 50kg. In addition, mammals have HUGE metabolic demands. Not only do we need to move around, walk, talk, and think (some of us, anyway), but we also have to maintain a constant internal temperature, maintain cellular functions, pump blood, breathe, eat, digest, excrete, etc. The basal metabolic rate for the man pictured is on the order of 1,800 Kcal/day, and that's before he starts to walk around, do his daily workout, pose for swimsuit pics, stand in cold water, etc.

Now, the tree produces more oxygen in a day than the man breathes, meaning that the tree is producing more glucose than the man is burning. That said, the tree has VASTLY larger surface area. So even if the man were completely green, it wouldn't support his metabolic demands. Maybe just a few percent.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kaphias

Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Not only do we need to move around, walk, talk, and think (some of us, anyway),

Based on that, this woman might have had a chance at making it work for her...
Flown on: C150/172/206, DHC-2/3, AS350, J32, Q400, CR7/9, E135/40/45/75, DC9, A320, B732/4/7/8/9, 744, 752/3, 763, MD80

DocLightning

Wed May 02, 2012 1:09 am

Quoting kaphias (Reply 26):
Based on that, this woman might have had a chance at making it work for her...

Good point. I'm sure she probably lasted longer than others.  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AR385

Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
Now, consider a human being:

And why, why did you have to post that picture? I have to work tomorrow, you know. It´s gonna be one sleepless night now.

DocLightning

Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 28):
And why, why did you have to post that picture?

I...dunnooo...

Quoting AR385 (Reply 28):
It´s gonna be one sleepless night now.

Remember to switch hands from time to time.   
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AR385

Wed May 02, 2012 2:56 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 29):

Oh no. I´m going out now.

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 30):

short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

PanHAM

Wed May 02, 2012 7:48 am

The best in the whole article is the link to "want to lose weight - do the math"

I am sure this is unvoluntary, but still, comic at its best.

This means she effectively had to turn into a plant.

Agreedm she must have been a vegetable in her final hours....