vegetables2001
Topic Author

Share Your Favourite Pubs/bars...

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:08 pm

A few of my faves.....

UK

Cutty Sark, (Greenwich) London, Great location on the Thames, Historical, Interesting Interior, Nice to sit out in the summer (and watch the Aircraft approach LHR).

The Yacht, (Greenwich) London, Great location on the Thames Great views of the Thames.

The Guy Fawkes, York. Great selection of beers, Historical, Interesting Interior.

US (If they still exist)

Zebra Lounge, Chicago - Embodiment of how I imagine a US bar. Great atmosphere.

Clark St Ale House, Chicago - Friendly microbrew bar with fantastic atmosphere.

Anybody else got any they want to share?
A306,319,333 ATR72 BAC113/5, B703/704,717,721,732/3/4/5/7/8,741/1/4,757,763,773/E, DC8-6,9-3/5,10-30, DC106

bristolflyer

RE: Share Your Favourite Pubs/bars...

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 pm

The Bull at Inkberrow, Worcestershire (supposedly the pub from the Archers radio soap).

The George in Norton St Philip, Somerset. One of a few pubs that claims to be oldest in the country. A friend and I both owned Caterhams and used to drive there down some of the awesome country roads for a pub lunch.

White Hart Inn in Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire.
Fortune favours the brave

vikkyvik

Tue May 01, 2012 3:14 am

Tom Bergin's, on Fairfax in LA. Great atmosphere, great Guinness, great chicken wings, bartenders who would give us a round or two free when we were there, etc.

That's one of the few places to which I'd still be happy to go.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

DocLightning

Tue May 01, 2012 4:58 am

What about The Green Man just off LHR?

That's one of my favorites in the world...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AR385

Tue May 01, 2012 5:02 am

My brother´s. It´s called "The Corner", and it´s a great Irish style pub. You are all invited.

Houston: Downing Street, off Westheimer, near Montrose. But I´m not sure it´s still there.

EddieDude

Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 am

Employees Only in the West Village and 675 Bar in the Meatpacking District/West Village!
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

PHX787

Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 am

There was an Irish pub about a block from the Ramblas in Barcelona but I forgot the name...the first place I went after arriving there for study abroad in High school...my buddy spent his first 40Euro on Estrella Damm...

Also in Japan, there's a huge pub and bar culture in Tokyo....I'd avoid Roppongi...too cliche, too much Yakuza, too much crazy shit.

I would often frequent a bar chain called "HUB" in Shinjuku. Inside the infamous Kabukicho area, there's a Hub about a block away from the main street (not the one ON the street...that one is boring.) My friend Eriko works there. She's a real treat   Also, if you're ever in Japan, go to an Izakaya with your friends. ¥3000 and all you can drink AND an amazing meal!! it's sooo worth it.

Also my buddy owns a small English cafe/bar/thing in Takadanobaba (near Waseda University) called "English Cafe Mickey House." it's where I met most of my friends! If you're ever in the Baba, make sure you check it out (and say 'hi" to Yuto for me!!!   haha)

I'm actually going back to Japan this summer, if any of you know of good Japanese pubs in Tokyo or Osaka (where I'll be staying) let me know!
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

pu

Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 am

The Green Man, Cutty Sark and old Bank of England as mentioned are fine pubs...Green Man for the planes of course. The UK is unfairly blessed with way too many great pubs, no other country has anything close.
In London, I'm partial to pubs with river views.
The Horniman at Hays is a great pub on the river right by the HMS Belfast...ok, it's location is the main good thing.
The George on Borough high street is very old and not too touristy.
Ye Old Cheshire Cheese is in every guide book but it is so crusty and archaic everyone should try it outside of tourist season.
The Grenadier in Belgravia for bloody Mary's on Sunday....and for drinking in a neighborhood I can't afford.
Prospect of Whitby is another pub on the river I love, and the hangman's noose is authentic.
Ah, so many pubs, so little time...

Paris: Oz and Harry's.
Amsterdam: Emmelot's
New York: Becky's and Dorian's
Chicago: Tai's Till 4
Dallas: Stan's, The Loon
Houston: Alabama Ice House
Any airport bar with a decent view is a good bar....also the onboard bars are wonderful (Virgin).

Pu

AF340

Wed May 02, 2012 3:17 am

Quoting Pu (Reply 8):
The George on Borough high street is very old and not too touristy.

Nice patio/courtyard after a wander through the market on a hot summer's day!

flipdewaf

Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

Well I lucked out when I bought my house as it is accross the road from one of the nicest country pubs I know, The fox and hounds at sinnington has good beer and fantastic food (you have to try to believe) and great staff.
http://www.thefoxandhoundsinn.co.uk/

And the other that I must mention is where I used to work in university holidays, many of you may have been here, it has the best atmosphere of any old pub I have ever been to, it is always buzzing, always a great spot for walkers, 8 hand pulls hearty food and camping! The lion inn on Blakey ridge.
http://www.lionblakey.co.uk/

ferengi80

Thu May 03, 2012 7:47 pm

The Roisin Dubh in Gurteen, Co. Sligo, Ireland. A great little local pub with a great big Irish atmosphere!!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

lxa333

Thu May 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Too many in the uk, mostly close to lse where I studied abroad. In NYC it's blind pig on 14th and 3rd and 99 warren in TriBeCa. I've been to 675 bar as someone mentioned and I loved it. In Paris, bar six close to st. Germain.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

YVRLTN

Sat May 05, 2012 4:46 am

I always liked the Punch & Judy (Covent Garden) for its location.

Love the rural British pubs, near my uncle there is the John Bunyan in Wheathampsead and the Wicked Lady in St Albans, nothing particularly special per se about those two, but many happy memories and a typical good old pub - good food, good ales & cheap in a nice location.

There is on in Widdecombe-in-The-Moor in Dartmoor I loved too ,and another on the old harbour in Blakeney Norfolk.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR