727LOVER
Topic Author

2 Gay Marines Kiss....but Some Dont Like It

Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Now that DONT ASK, DONT TELL is gone........it was only a matter of time......

I heard this on the radio.....and looked it up. There were a bunch of male callers who were "GROSSED OUT", but of course, they all said if it was 2 women.......then that's hot! Typical male heterosexual double standard. The argument I don't follow is.....a man/woman kiss and they are showing love/commitment/affection....but man/man, they're FLAUNTING it. I myself have been accused on this site of FLAUNTING it.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...rine-kissing-boyfriend-goes-viral/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...of-pent-up-emotion-and-secret-love

Your thoughts???

[Edited 2012-05-07 11:10:24]
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

aloges

RE: 2 Gay Marines Kiss....but Some Dont Like It

Mon May 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Thread starter):
Your thoughts???

don't care which two consenting adults kiss
don't care which gender they're attracted to
wish that homophobes would keep their problem to themselves or have it treated
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AirPacific747

Mon May 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Who cares.... why does it even make it to the news?

[Edited 2012-05-07 11:43:19]

lewis

Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 pm

I do not see why people do not have the right to be "grossed out" about it. As long as they do not actively try to put a stop to homosexual PDAs, you shouldn't care. Not liking what they see is their personal opinion and taste and you cannot enforce that part.

scbriml

Mon May 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Your thoughts???

"Deja vu" and "Why do we need another thread on this topic?"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45753034...hare-st-kiss-us-navy-ships-return/
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

aloges

Mon May 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 3):
As long as they do not actively try to put a stop to homosexual PDAs, you shouldn't care.

Well, they do limit civil rights for homosexual coupl...

Oh, sod it. What can be said has been said more than a million times.

vikkyvik

Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 pm

This:

Quoting aloges (Reply 1):
don't care which two consenting adults kiss
don't care which gender they're attracted to
wish that homophobes would keep their problem to themselves or have it treated
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

727LOVER
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 4):

Dont blame me for it being in the news cycle again. Probably because its MEN this time.......double standard.......bla bla bla.......

[Edited 2012-05-07 12:29:54]
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

lewis

Mon May 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 5):
Well, they do limit civil rights for homosexual coupl...

Limiting civil rights and people being grossed out about homosexual PDAs is not always the same. You can give all the rights you want and there will still be people that do not approve what they see in front of them. You cannot and won't be able to change that. Thus, no reason to get upset about it.

As the couple said: "As for the haters, let em hate. … To quote Kat Williams, everyone needs haters, so let them hate."

aloges

Mon May 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 8):
Limiting civil rights and people being grossed out about homosexual PDAs is not always the same.

I meant that the discrimination goes a lot deeper than simple dislike. If it was just an issue of people objecting to kisses in public, and I guess there will always be some overly prude people around, it wouldn't be a problem.

photopilot

Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Your thoughts???

Abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly.

That about covers it.

desertjets

Mon May 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 10):
Abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly.

That about covers it.

You know I am really sorry that you see it that way. And that you had to find so many adjectives to describe it. Because I think it is a beautiful photo of two people that are clearly in love and that clearly care about each other thrilled about being reunited after a long deployment. In my eye there is nothing abhorrent, foul, obscene, revolting and ugly. Frankly I am a little saddened that you cannot see it.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

lewis

Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 9):

Based on what I am reading, most people were shocked or grossed out. That is not really unheard of and does not constitute hate in my book. You cannot "make" people feel comfortable with an image, no matter what it is. Sure some of them have deeper prejudice but - as long as they don't act on it - you can't do much about it either. But, it is not true for everybody. A lot of people feel grossed out or "offended" if they see a woman breastfeeding in public. That doesn't make them anti-procreation or anti-motherhood.

Ken777

Mon May 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Basically it's just a homecoming kiss - no big deal IMO.

I can assure you I kissed my wife at the airport when I cam home after my last deployment and didn't really care who was watching.

N8911E

Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 pm

I myself am not attracted to the same sex, but I do, however, have friends who are. Just because they are attracted to the same sex does NOT make them any less of a friend, and I feel the same about other LGBT individuals. They are human, just like us, and they deserve the same love, and warmth I would give to my heterosexual friends. I do not treat them any differently, and I love them just as much.

Having said that....

I wish the media, and every other organization (e.g. WBC) would LEAVE PEOPLE THE HELL ALONE!!! Look at Chaz (Chastity) Bono. (S)he is still the same, no matter what parts are installed downstairs. He still has the same heart he was born with as a female. But NOOOO, look up Chaz Bono, and it's a damn media circus, NOT because (S)he is Cher's Daughter/Son. It's Ludicrous!!! If 2 Marines are gay, does that make them any less able to kill a sleazeball terrorist? NO!!!

stasisLAX

Mon May 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 11):
You know I am really sorry that you see it that way. And that you had to find so many adjectives to describe it. Because I think it is a beautiful photo of two people that are clearly in love and that clearly care about each other thrilled about being reunited after a long deployment. In my eye there is nothing abhorrent, foul, obscene, revolting and ugly. Frankly I am a little saddened that you cannot see it.

My thoughts on the topic - were these two Marines good soldiers and did they serve the US with honor? If yes, there is absolutely no problem. In fact, I'd like to buy these two lunch and say "Thank you for your service to the country and for protecting ALL American citizens."

There are plenty of things in the Bible that modern society does not follow (banning the cutting of mens hair, stoning of women for adultery, and so on).... so right wing religious zealots, your Bible-based arguments will not hold up.

[Edited 2012-05-07 14:56:53]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

LH526
Crew

Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 pm

So these Marines are trained to kill people but get dismissed for loving one?
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

PC12Fan

Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm

That about covers it.

Yea, but after logging off of A.net I'd bet anything that's he's checking out girl on girl action.

Quoting N8911E (Reply 14):

Well said and spot on.

Quoting lh526 (Reply 16):

Ironic, ain't it? That's what's appalling about this whole thing.

What kills me about this whole homophobe thing is that none of them would associate themselves with the gay community so why be against something that they will never allow in their lives to begin with?
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

akiss20

Mon May 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Quoting lh526 (Reply 16):

Welcome to America, where violence and killing are more acceptable and common in society than love.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

kiwiandrew

Mon May 07, 2012 10:27 pm

bhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly.

I totally agree with you, all of those adjectives apply to people who rang up and complained about a simple kiss between two people who love each other.

HorizonGirl

Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting kiwiandrew (Reply 19):
I totally agree with you, all of those adjectives apply to people who rang up and complained about a simple kiss between two people who love each other.

Exceptionally well said.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

aloges

Mon May 07, 2012 11:14 pm

Of course I don't know, but I've got an inkling that he (photopilot) meant the same.

AirCanada787

Mon May 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting lewis (Reply 3):
I do not see why people do not have the right to be "grossed out" about it.

Maybe, there are people who are grossed out by members of the opposite sex making a similar scene. Except those people just have to deal with it because its considered 'normal'.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 13):

That about covers it.

Not only am I also sorry he sees it that way I am sorry he felt the need to take the time to come up with such a list of adjectives and put them in alphabetical order...
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

lewis

Tue May 08, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 22):
Maybe, there are people who are grossed out by members of the opposite sex making a similar scene.

I am sure there are, people get grossed out with many trivial things every day. It doesn't make the news though.

Quoting AirCanada787 (Reply 22):
Except those people just have to deal with it

Who says they didn't? Dealing with it does not mean not voicing an opinion on a matter. As there are no people screaming for homosexual PDAs to be illegal, I do not see how these commentators did not end up 'dealing with it'. People should accept homosexuality but they do not necessarily have to like it, and no matter how hard you try or how right you are, you cannot enforce that.

Anyways, this whole news piece is not news at all. Yes, there are people grossed out by same sex kissing - more so when it involves men. In other news, the sky is blue.

johnboy

Tue May 08, 2012 12:13 am

"Yea, but after logging off of A.net I'd bet anything that's he's checking out girl on girl action. "

I disagree......it's most likely man on man action.

You know, always the ones that scream the loudest and all.....  

Klaus

Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 am

That about covers it.

Yeah, homophobia is a revolting affliction indeed, just like most other forms of resentment against other human beings for just being who they are.

But it's getting better overall, even if some people may still remain unable to heal from this kind of disease.

DocLightning

Tue May 08, 2012 2:46 am

All I can say is that man is willing to put down his life to defend your freedom of speech to call him an "abomination."

What does it say about you that you go ahead and do so
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ha763

Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 am

This is rather old news and surprised it took over 2 months to see a thread on it. It happened back in February, as noted by the date stamp in the ABC news page. I remember seeing this on the news since it happened here in Hawaii.

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 15):
My thoughts on the topic - were these two Marines good soldiers and did they serve the US with honor? If yes, there is absolutely no problem.

Only one is a Marine, and I'd say he is serving with honor seeing that he is actively serving and the picture occurred after he returned from a deployment in Afghanistan. The other guy is an artist.

scbriml

Tue May 08, 2012 11:12 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 7):
Dont blame me for it being in the news cycle again.

Oh, I'm certainly not blaming you. I just gave you my thoughts, like you asked.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

cpd

Tue May 08, 2012 12:44 pm

Maybe I grew up in a far more open-minded era in a very open-minded country, but I really don't see the problem. They are ordinary people, one who put his life on the line to defend our freedom.

People have to come to terms with it.

And good on the both of them for throwing caution to the wind and not hiding who they are.

In a country which has so many freedoms and rights, they should be free from homophobia. It's not like they are doing anything horrific or obscene. It's just a kiss.

And it's one hell of a good photo that many a photo-journalist around the world would have loved to call their own. It has so much meaning and raw emotion. It shows the nicer side of human nature.

After we've all been bombarded with news and photos of murder, doom and gloom, etc - it's nice to see something that is actually a positive news piece.

daviation

Tue May 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Hey, it's 2012. Does anyone really care about this? Live and let live. I'm happy to see people who are in love and I don't care if it's two men, two women, or the 'regular' stuff.

And you know the old saying: the guys who protest so much are probably the ones who have secretly tasted it!!
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

1stfl94

Tue May 08, 2012 5:21 pm

bhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, scandalous, shocking, sickening, ugly.

I totally agree with you, all of those adjectives apply to people who rang up and complained about a simple kiss between two people who love each oth

And really stupid of them to insult two guys are essentially trained to kill!

agill

Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 30):

And you know the old saying: the guys who protest so much are probably the ones who have secretly tasted it!!

Or maybe should http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014