BestWestern

Branson Ego Latest - Ice Cubes In His Liking.

Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 pm

In a ego boosting moment of pure waste of time and money, Virgin have launched ice cubes in the likeness of Sir Richard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...nches-Branson-shaped-ice-cube.html

Warning, sick bags at the ready before clicking on the link.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

aloges

RE: Branson Ego Latest - Ice Cubes In His Liking.

Tue May 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Quote:
A spokesman for Virgin said the creation meant “all passengers will be able to enjoy some chill out time with Mr Branson”.

That's all I've ever missed on a long-haul flight.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

mariner

Tue May 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Thread starter):
In a ego boosting moment of pure waste of time and money, Virgin have launched ice cubes in the likeness of Sir Richard.

I think it's quite funny.

mariner
aeternum nauta

MadameConcorde

Tue May 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Warning, sick bags at the ready before clicking on the link.

I wonder what he will have on his Virgin Galactic suborbital space toys.

Some of these mega-rich people egos know no limits.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

mariner

Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 3):
Some of these mega-rich people egos know no limits.

Ego often gets things done. You don't become a President or a Prime Minister or a top CEO without a considerable ego.

I don't have a problem with ego. I've never understood why people do.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Pe@rson

Tue May 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 2):

I agree - light-hearted and quite funny.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

phxa340

Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Would I rather have his ice cube in my drink on Virgin or pay $100 on Spirit for a carry on ? Ha come on , it could be way worse ... I think its funny and neat. Nicely done SRB !

GIANCAVIA

Tue May 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 5):

I agree - light-hearted and quite funny.

Thirded.. Amusing indeed.

Such a minute thing to get butthurt about.

airportugal310

Tue May 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 4):

Well said.

Pretty interesting ice cubes though.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Vasu

Tue May 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Ha! Yup, Virgin Atlantic is definitely becoming Virgin Atlantic again...! 

MadameConcorde

Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Ego often gets things done. You don't become a President or a Prime Minister or a top CEO without a considerable ego.

There are also some world top-most people who you don't hear about much at all as they stay in the shadow and are rather discrete and humble.

Look at Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA. He is the World's 7th richest - probably worth much more than Richard Branson.

He takes easyJet flights, drives himself around in a 15-year-old Volvo, and has furnished his modest house almost entirely with Ikea items - which he assembled himself.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...founded-Ikea-worth-pound-15bn.html

Another example of an "invisible type" is Carlos Slim Helu a Mexican business magnate and philanthropist who is currently ranked as the wealthiest person in the world in 2012.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim

They are not all publicizing themselves like Richard Branson or Donald Trump.

mariner

Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 10):
There are also some world top-most people who you don't hear about much at all as they stay in the shadow and are rather discrete and humble.

Sure, there are. Everyone does it differently. But you don't get to the top without a powerful ego.

Some people think that Steven Spielberg is a kind and benevolent employer and are not aware of his more ruthless side.

But even in one of the examples you cite, I see no particular virtue in the world's seventh wealthiest man flying Easyjet, and that, in itself, is an affectation - look at me, how humble I am, how just like everyone else. When he isn't.

Personally, I don't want to live in a world of boring and bland - I don't want to live in a world of Ikea, I dont want to be bored to death - fine for those that do, of course. I like a world of extravagant personalities, Branson and O'Leary and Trump - at least I know where I stand with them. I admire people like Steve Jobs, people who make a difference.

And it's what I want on my own tombstone - "at least he wasn't boring."

mariner
aeternum nauta

slvrblt

Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

it IS kind of funny, though; question is, how much does a drink cost with ''his'' special ice cubes?   I'm sure the cubes are meant for Upper class but what if a person in steerage wants one, 'just because?'
..everything works out in the end.

lightsaber
Crew

Tue May 01, 2012 8:50 pm

VS's new ad: "Everyone gets to drink a little dick."   

Note: Play on US nickname for Richard...

Quoting mariner (Reply 2):

That it is.

Branson is clever in gaining free press. This is a very low cost way to put Virgin's name in a few papers. Perhaps customers will talk about it. I see no downside. I don't worry about Branson, MOL, or other CEOs ego. They are spokesmodels for their company who are paid to get the company name in the press.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

HiJazzey

Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm

That's actually quite funny. Imagine being asked if you want a "little Richard" !

PGNCS

Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 11):
But even in one of the examples you cite, I see no particular virtue in the world's seventh wealthiest man flying Easyjet, and that, in itself, is an affectation - look at me, how humble I am, how just like everyone else. When he isn't.

How do you know how humble Ingvar Kamprad is?

aloges

Tue May 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 13):

Someone should create a cocktail and name it after Richard Nixon's nickname. Then you could ask for a Tricky Dicky with extra Dicky if you want it with extra Bransicles.

Yes, that was a portmanteau.

mariner

Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 15):
How do you know how humble Ingvar Kamprad is?

I don't - I've never heard of the man.

I am responding to what the poster said in post #10. She claimed his wealth and that he flies Easyjet.

Look at Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA. He is the World's 7th richest - probably worth much more than Richard Branson.

He takes easyJet flights, drives himself around in a 15-year-old Volvo, and has furnished his modest house almost entirely with Ikea items - which he assembled himself.

mariner
aeternum nauta

GSPSPOT

Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I don't have a problem with ego. I've never understood why people do.

You use ego when/where it can be effective (in the board room for example), not to "show off" and be obnoxious. This is an example of the latter, closer to hubris IMO.

[Edited 2012-05-01 14:05:29]

[Edited 2012-05-01 14:06:42]
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

mariner

Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 18):
You use ego when/where it can be effective (in the board room or in marketing perhaps), not to "show off" and be obnoxious. This is an example of the latter, closer to hubris IMO.

I don't know what the problem with "showing off" is - Hollywood would be a ghost town without it - and I don't find it obnoxious.

mariner
aeternum nauta

aloges

Tue May 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 17):
I don't - I've never heard of the man.

...and that is exactly how he likes it, which goes to show that having a substantial ego doesn't have to go with flaunting it.

Quoting mariner (Reply 17):
I am responding to what the poster said in post #10. She claimed his wealth and that he flies Easyjet.

That info came from the Daily Mail.

PlymSpotter

Tue May 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 13):

I found telling one of my quite anti-Branson friends about this rather satisfying, knowing the gist of what his answer would be. "Finally I can stick an ice-cube up my arse for a good reason". I didn't enquire as to what he meant by finally...

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

mariner

Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 20):
...and that is exactly how he likes it, which goes to show that having a substantial ego doesn't have to go with flaunting it.

Exactly as I said:

Quoting mariner (Reply 11):
Everyone does it differently.

mariner
aeternum nauta

GSPSPOT

Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 19):
Hollywood would be a ghost town without it

While I'm a fan of much of their work, I'm NOT a fan of the vapid lifestyles those people with more dollars than sense on the Left Coast lead.
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

mariner

Wed May 02, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 23):
While I'm a fan of much of their work, I'm NOT a fan of the vapid lifestyles those people with more dollars than sense on the Left Coast lead.

No one asks you to like the lifestyle. But - it sells.

Hollywood a business designed around making money out of fantasy, often in vast quantities of both, and much of the work is only possible because of what you call the "vapid" life style.

mariner
aeternum nauta

hiflyeras

Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 am

They are not all publicizing themselves like Richard Branson or Donald Trump

Exactly who I was going to compare SRB with....both he and Trump are experts at getting their faces in the news. In other similarites, they both have owned airlines AND both have bad hair.   

ykaops

Wed May 02, 2012 5:28 am

Well, for those in Upper Class, at least they have the choice to be able to chew him up and spit him out!

mikey72

Wed May 02, 2012 7:01 am

It is funny.....very VS.

Lip stick, ice cubes.......what next ?
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

skygirl1990

Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am

For all you Anti-Branson's out there I'm sure you could take great pleasure in crushing or melting an object that is shaped just like your favourite person  

ChazPilot

Wed May 02, 2012 7:21 am

bestwestern, you wouldn't happen to be Michael O'Leary, now would you?  

AF1624

Wed May 02, 2012 7:27 am

To be honest, this man had better be silent, calm, and discreet indeed:

Quoting Wikipedia:
In 1994, the personal letters of the Swedish fascist activist Per Engdahl were made public after his death, and it was revealed that Kamprad had joined Engdahl's pro-fascist New Swedish Movement in 1942. Kamprad had raised funds for and recruited members to said group at least as late as September 1945. When Kamprad quit the group is unknown, but he remained a friend of Engdahl until the early 1950s.[21] Kamprad devotes two chapters to his time in Nysvenska Rörelsen in his book, Leading By Design: The IKEA Story and, in a 1994 letter to IKEA employees, called his affiliation with the organization the "greatest mistake of his life."[5] Kamprad has explained his teenage engagement in New Swedish Movement with that he was politically influenced by his father and grandmother in Sudet-Germany.[22] In 2011, journalist Elisabeth Åsbrink revealed that the Swedish secret service created a file on Kamprad already in 1943 titled "Nazi" and that Kamprad in a interview 2010 told her: "Per Engdahl is a great man, and I will maintain that as long as I live".[23]

Granted, he says it's the greatest mistake of his life. But I would have found it difficult for him to say anything else about it without loosing everything.

Everyone has their monsters from the past, but I prefer Branson's ego rather than Kamprad's fascist tendencies...

(Remember the IKEA case in France where managers contacted retired cops to create files about their employees, registering things like sexual orientation, financial health, etc?).

Ikea France suspected of spying on employees
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/.../france-ikea-idUSL6E8F60ZE20120406

There are more detailed articles in French about it as well...

Oh, and not to mention this very recent gem:

Ikea is suspected to have used forced workforce during the RDA days between the 70ies and the 80ies :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tasi-make-furniture-1970s-80s.html

Yeah, very silent and discreet this guy is indeed. With reason to be.
Cheers

MillwallSean

Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 am

I think its funny. Made me laugh.
The world needs more humour not less. And for those of us that remember flying in the 1980ies Branson will always be well liked just as Stelios.

Talking about egos, cant wait for that Qatar nutter to follow suit. or maybe he will install gold bust of himself where you board the planes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html
Quoting aloges (Reply 20):

That info came from the Daily Mail.

But still accurate. Read the mans memoirs or any article about him. Buys his clothes in malls and in special cheap Swedish shops.
And for those of us that want to fly with Ingvar Kamprad or work at IKEA. We stick to economy. No employee of IKEA flies anything else on the companies account including Mr Kamprad. No 5 star hotels either.
I have been on the same flight as him, I was in Business he in economy...

He also shops at the local market in Switzerland late, late in the afternoon to get a better deal on veggies.

Mr Kamrad is one of these great eccentrics. Scrooge like to a certain degree but also an extraordinary businessman with a heart that bleeds for his old rural village. There he pays a lot through one of his trusts (new fibre cables for broadband to every household in the village, bus stops that can handle the winter, owning a rather unprofitable village dairy etc etc). Quite cute.

On the other hand he moved to Switzerland to avoid Swedish taxes, his bank accounts are Swiss and in Lichtenstein, his franchising unit and some of his companies are registered in Holland because of the tax reasons and he uses every loophole in the book to avoid taxing his millions. Yet all the leaders are swedes and most work and reside in Sweden. With age he has gotten more nationalistic and returns more and more to his native Sweden and his home province Småland.
A man that will be missed when he leaves this earth. he is like 85 or so these days so he wont be around that much longer.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

fca767

Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 am

Quoting vasu (Reply 9):
Ha! Yup, Virgin Atlantic is definitely becoming Virgin Atlantic again

Now all they need to do is change the Dull miserable customer service staff who are still manning the desks at manchester airport since the time i worked there for a week, one of the women never made a smile when i worked there and felt bossed...and i walked passed the other day (years later) and she looked like a mop...they always seem moody. not naming names

RWA380

Wed May 02, 2012 7:51 am

I don't have a problem with ego. I've never understood why people do

People often are confused between arrogance and ego, they are very different things, but often times come tied together.

Quoting mariner (Reply 19):
I don't know what the problem with "showing off" is - Hollywood would be a ghost town without it - and I don't find it obnoxious.

Hollywood, You can have it, more like a war zone than anything, IMO. With the Kardashian ilk running free, I'm happier out!

Quoting ykaops (Reply 26):
Well, for those in Upper Class, at least they have the choice to be able to chew him up and spit him out!

Yeah, you can bite his head off, and get away with it. Something I'm sure someone has wanted to do for a long time now.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

sturmovik

Wed May 02, 2012 8:05 am

I think it's funny, and good publicity. SRB is very much a part of the Virgin brand identity, and this is a good way to get people talking about the brand. I remember reading press reports of him riding in on elephants when launching new routes in India. Helps recall the brand easily, IMO.
'What's it doing now?'

mikey72

Wed May 02, 2012 8:26 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 31):
He also shops at the local market in Switzerland late, late in the afternoon to get a better deal on veggies.

Well sorry but I think any billionaire who does that is just sad.

Don't shout at me...I know, I know...he can do what he likes......but come on......you're a long time dead after all !!

If I was in my local supermarket and some billionaire kept coming in and hoovering up all the bargains every afternoon I'd be pis*ed ! LOL

He should be sending his man servant to Harrods food halls in a stretch with a list.....................
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

rktsci

Wed May 02, 2012 8:50 am

Awesome! Pretty good detail.

sailas

Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 am

I wonder if i will be seeing these in 3 weeks when i do my first VS flight from LGW - ANU. Off topic, but there is a reason why Ingvar Kamprad moved to Switzerland. It is decently modest to be there among the rich people of the world. You would see the difference of new rich and old rich and how different the ego's were. Having lived 18 years in Geneva Ingvar was rarely heard about.

But anyway i think its interesting and quite smart what Dick is doing here with free publicity  .
Airlines been on: AY, LX, SR, OS, SK, KF, EZY, FR, BA, LH, AF, TG, DC, FC, TK, KL, BT, CX, QR

MadameConcorde

Wed May 02, 2012 9:11 am

Quoting skygirl1990 (Reply 28):
For all you Anti-Branson's out there

I am no anti-Branson - don't get me wrong. I knew the man from his very first days with his little store on the second floor of a shabby building on Oxford Street a few steps away from the Tottenham Court Road tube station.

His mother was there and so was he selling bootlegged records with concerts of famous rock stars of the day. The bootleg 33RPM LPs were very creative in bright coloured vinyls in limited numbers.

Also he promoted the Hare Krishna Temple records. They were not very far down the road on Bury Place between Branson's little shop and the British Museum.

He has gone a long way since with his Virgin Records, the Megastores, the airline, the soon to be Virgin Galactic, the (now former) Forumula 1 team and much more.

I got to met the man times and times again at the Monaco Grand Prix. We chat about manned Space fliights, fast catamarans and Formula 1 racing. He is a cool, very positive guy who certainly knows how to seize opportunities and probably a shrewd negotiator.

Not sure he will be at the Monaco GP but if he is I am sure I will run into him again somewhere around the teams motor homes/paddocks.

mikey72

Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 38):
very positive guy

Ahem....not when it comes to British Airways Plc or any airline that doesn't carry the Virgin brand....

MadameConcorde

Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 am

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 39):
Ahem....not when it comes to British Airways Plc or any airline that doesn't carry the Virgin brand....

FYI he did not think highly of NASA's Space Shuttles either

probably as he wants to sell the seats on his own suborbital Spacecrafts.

Wow!

Pe@rson

Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 am

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 39):

?

Why should he be positive to such things?!
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

mikey72

Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am

Pe@rson....

Why be negative ?

More precisely what is there to be negative about ?

BA is a company that transports millions of people a month all over the globe safely and securely in comfort and at reasonable cost. Oh and provides tens of thousands of people with employment.

Unless of course you have a vested interest in a rival to said company..........then you just become totally transparent.

I cannot think of a person who has injected more bile into an industry than SRB has into British aviation.

Pe@rson

Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 am

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 42):
Pe@rson....

Why be negative ?

Undoubtedly Richard Branson is 'negative' because BA is a major competitor. Seems clear and reasonable to me.

[Edited 2012-05-02 04:11:36]

aloges

Wed May 02, 2012 11:15 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 43):
Undoubtedly Richard Branson is 'negative' to BA because VS is obviously a major competitor. Seems clear and reasonable enough to me.

You'd think it was obvious, wouldn't you?   

mikey72

Wed May 02, 2012 11:25 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 43):
Undoubtedly Richard Branson is 'negative' because BA is a major competitor. Seems clear and reasonable to me.
Quoting aloges (Reply 44):
You'd think it was obvious, wouldn't you?

I don't think the latest hollow and self serving attack on BA with ref to the BD acquisition and the potential resulting job losses falls under the category of healthy red blooded rivalry.

Do you ?

SSPhoenix

Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 am

The last thing I want to see is his face in my drink .... but then again I never fly VS .... But then again if I had this Ice cube in the drink glass, it would be loads of fun crushing it!

Thanks to these tacky tactics, he makes BA look like they still have the class they had in the 80s.
There's Method in the Madness ...

mikey72

Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am

Oh and one more thing.

Not only did the latest actions of VS threaten thousands of British jobs but there is also the small (well not so small I would imagine) matter of tax that gets paid or rather not paid to the British Exchequer.

For a company that so publicly and proudly boasts to protect the well being of the British public......oh I could heave.

Positive ?

Urrghh !!

kdhurst380

Wed May 02, 2012 11:44 am

I'm no fan of VS, or their products, but I suppose a bit of light hearted humour never did any harm. That said, it would put me off my brandy a bit.

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 42):
I cannot think of a person who has injected more bile into an industry than SRB has into British aviation.

In relation to the latest developments in the industry, most definitely. BA/IAG won BD fair and square, SRB can bitch and whine all he likes, at the end of the day, he wasn't the highest bidder.

aloges

Wed May 02, 2012 11:46 am

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 45):
I don't think the latest hollow and self serving attack on BA with ref to the BD acquisition and the potential resulting job losses falls under the category of healthy red blooded rivalry.

Do you ?

I don't like it either, but CEOs all have their own ways of advancing their corporations. BA played their dirty tricks, Branson plays the media and O'Leary plays regional politicians for subsidies.